What are the side effects of Mirena?

My first one shifted the first year I had it, which didn’t phase me any but hubby got poked during, um, grown-up time, so I had it removed/replaced and had the 2nd the full 5 years with absolutely no issues, no weight gain, and practically no periods. It was awesome lol

My daughter had it. Massive weight gain, stomach trouble (Mom why am I gaining weight and not holding anything down at the same time?) finally had it removed, everything has settled she is getting better all the time only current issue is bad cramps during her irregular cycle.

I have it and absolutely love it!!!ive had no issues with it at all!! I’ve got prego 2 times while on the pill and I took it when I was supposed to etc!!!

I loved mine! A little cramping and bleeding for a week after getting is. Didn’t have a period though This whole time I had it.

I love mine! Had it for 5 years, took it out, got pregnant with my second and got it put back in 6 weeks after. No periods. No remembering to take a pill. Naturally, weight gain like normal birth control side effects but…pros and cons for everything!

I love it. My body expelled the first one I had but I went and got another one and so far so good. Before I was an extremely heavy bleeder and now I might have a light period for 2 to 3 days a month. The iud in the arm made me bleed for 5 years, the depo made me bleed for 6 months off one shot, I couldn’t get the patch to stay on, and I have a 3 yr old from taking the pill. I recommend it to anyone.

2 Likes

I only had one issue with it falling out of place once and had to have it replaced when I was ready to have another baby it was removed and I was pregnant within a month… Also no periods was a huge plus

I had it and it gave me very bad headaches that is just the bad thing I had on it. The good part is that I never had my period.

No! Mirena is the worst option. It causes major hormonal issues and both times my sister got it removed and after she got pregnant and miscarried. Her Dr said it had to do with mirena.

Got pregnant with mine had to have surgery to remove baby and all!

I got mine after having my second child I bleed for the regular 6 weeks and then I continued to bleed for another 3/4 months heavily. The strings that hang down can hurt your spouse during intercourse. I ended up getting mine took out because I bleed so much and for so long. That what the only down fall. I hope it works with you!

Okay here’s my story and at the end my suggestions to you…okay here we go, I am 35 years young and 5’3 ft bullet proof for my babies and when I was pregnant with my second child my weight was 200 lbs and at that time toward the end because she was done with her buns cookin inside momma’s oven now during my pregnancy I had very bad and I mean SEVERE sciatica running down my right back into the back of that leg I seriously cried that’s how bad it got to the point where I didn’t wanna move, but I kept doing the excersises as much as I could now…after giving birth to my baby and going home afterwards I waited a week to weigh myself because I made sure I didn’t eat heavy foods and soda’s ect I wanted to see how much my body weighed well I felt pretty damn confident because scale said 198 lbs I thought to myself okay not bad girl not bad we got this we can lose more well the time came for that recent after care check up my doctor asked me she said what form of birth control would you prefer? I told her I used to have Paraguard and it did not give me no troubles at all when I was younger and of course after having my first child, but than I’ve been seeing all over the internet about how they had a recall on it and what not ect so my head said well will play it safe and do the Mirena because my doctor was praising about it and she said she even has it and reviews were good ect let me tell you this…and please listen closely… Every woman’s body is totally different, yeah there maybe some that seem “the same” but in their own ways their just slightly similar. Because your brain is the only organ that can tell your body to figure out it’s hidden mysteries that it has not been yet discovered. Soooo, after having the Mirena inserted and 5 months of painful grueling agony lady times and very excessive weight gain + migraines + fatigue + loss of sexual desire…honey I’m going back to Paraguard in a heartbeat because I was 200 lbs when pregnant after having that Mirena inside me for not even over a year yet but close once again I’m only 5’3 ft and now weigh 346 LBS! and the sad part about that I don’t eat a lot and my metabolism was okay before pregnancy not great but mostly average especially for my age but I didn’t gain weight like that ever before in my life and it’s hell I hate this weight on me :pensive: it’s more harder to get off because of how fast it came on me due to those hormones in that Mirena Paraguard was excellent for my body type and I didn’t even care if I would of have or haven’t a period. I didn’t ever get sciatica when I had Paraguard but at this point and this particular situation of a discussion it’s pretty much a " To each their own" ordeal.

I bleed for almost 2months straight, had to have it removed…

I’m on my 3rd mirena. I’ve had no issues or periods. When I do get a period I know it’s time for out with the old and in with a new. My sister had the opposite. She bled for a month straight until they took it out. Each body is different. Good luck

1 Like

Mine is embedded and I have to have it surgically removed now​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Have had for long time best thing ever i have tried everything else but wouldnt want anything different.

No problems, had in for 7 years. No periods either! :smirk:. Had it placed after last Daughter when I was 44

I didn’t do well with the Mirena, lots of mood swings, still normal to heavy periods, and significant weight gain in the first 4 months I had it. Honestly I couldn’t wait to get it out, and go on the pill.

I was advised to try a mirena. It raised my blood pressure and I had a headache every day for 4 months. My primary suspected it was the issue and removed it. I typically never have a headache - maybe one a year or less. The headaches stopped the day the device came out.

I was totally against it. My OB explained it all. I have really heavy painful periods. I decided to try it. At first I thought wow this was a mistake. After the initial bleeding it was amazing. I had very few periods and when I did very light for just a day or so. Never caused me any pain. I had it taken out to get pregnant and we conceived within weeks of getting it taken out. Which was also a breeze. Wasn’t painful at all. My husband is getting a vasectomy after we have our last baby but I will still get it bc it helped so much with my periods.

1 Like

I’ve had 4 of them. No issues, with the exception one migrated about 4 years ago and was causing some discomfort in my lower back, but I have a posterior tilted uterus.

I’ve had my Mirena for almost 7 years (same one, OB fine with me keeping it in since it’s working just fine and I had surgery to remove my tubes). After the initial bleeding, I’ve not had a period since (which is the main reason why I keep it)

1 Like

The 1st few days it was bad but after that it was absolutely amazing… after my son was born I got my tubes cut tied and burnt and I wish I would of just got the iud agian…

1 Like

I have the mirena & love it! No issues at all. I haven’t had a period in 5 years. I get my second mirena in September

1 Like

I don’t recommend the mirena I would recommend the paraguard. no issue for me and I’m in my second one.

Caused ovarian cysts that ruptured and I was hospitalized for 2 days. Almost needed a blood transfusion from the loss of blood. My abdomen was so full of blood I looked pregnant.

Mine was great for about 2 years and then i got pregnant and had it removed

I have been on it for the past 17 years ever since my second child was born and no problems or side effects

I had the mirena for six months back in 2010 and I ended up developing a terrible heart condition that I still suffer from today. I also have a friend who got one around the same time and it perforated her uterus and she is now in class for action lawsuit against mirena

I have the kyleena! Made by the same companybut releases less hormones and is smaller in size.

I had it and had a regular period and when it wasn’t time for a period I spotted. All. Of. The. Time. Great for birth control. Worse for trying to have a normal life with no bleeding.

I’m on my second one. No cycles at all. I love it!!

I had a Mirena for about 3 months. It caused me constant pain and when I was on my period the pain was unbearable.

I’ve been very lucky, Enjoy this method so much! No pills, my periods are very much lighter and cramping is the same as before the iud!

I had mirena iud for several years and I swore it caused ovarian cysts. Every body is different but my experience was miserable. I haven’t had a cyst rupture since I had it removed. I have nexplanon now, 3rd one and love it!

Personally I love my mirena! Still on my first one and about to get it changed! I like not having to worry about taking a pill or a patch! I’ll be getting another one :blush:

I had a bad experience. Painful all the time, if I sat wrong it felt like I sat on a nail and my partner could feel it too :confused: I have the nexplanon arm implant and would recommend looking in to it.

Had one before I ever had a baby - not a great experience starting with insertion. Seemed as if I felt it when sitting and just uncomfortable in general. Had it removed after 6 months.
Decided post-baby to try again. Much better experience all around. I still have a monthly period but it comes almost like clockwork and is shorter.

I love my Mirena. I’ve had 4 now, and never any issues. I had terrible endometriosis ( cysts) and a hard time remembering pills. Doc put in Mirena and within 2 months no more periods, and over the course of the last 16 years, I’ve only had 2 episodes of cysts rupturing. That’s down from multiple surgeries, and ruptured cysts prior. Was able to conceive within a month of removal. Everyone is different, but it was a game changer for me.

Inserting and taking it out are the worst parts for me- very painful to insert. My periods have been non existent, maybe some spotting. Otherwise, no issues, problems, etc.

This is my second one and I love it. The first one, I still had my cycle, but it wasn’t very heavy. Second one, no cycle!!! I suck at taking pills on time and this is perfect for me because I don’t have to think about it. I would get it again after this one comes out.

My body rejected mine for two years before I got checked out. I was in constant abdominal pain. I had periods that lasted two weeks at a time. When I finally had enough two years later that’s when the doc told me my body was rejecting it.

I love mine its my second one :slight_smile: I havent had a period in 9 years :slight_smile: and doesn’t effect me at all.

I love it. On my second now. It’s never moved or caused any cysts. Every body is different but I haven’t had a period for 9 years.

It’s best to remember everyone’s reactions are different. It almost killed me in 2005, my body rejected it and caused it to “burrow” into my lower abdomen. The emergency surgery saved my life but rendered me sterile. I’ve also known women who swear by it and conceived normally when removed.

(Before kids) 2.5 into the 5 years I was spotting constantly so I had it removed. My ob said they could have put me on a prescription to fix that issue. That would of been nice to know before removing it I think. Otherwise it was nice.

No problems with mirena & I had 2, now on liletta and its practically the same thing, no issues, no periods, amazing!

I had 2. First one worked fine at first. Then it dislodged and the 2nd did as well. My body didnt respond well. Usually they don’t dislodge so much.

Love it! Have had on for over 15 years, minus the one year when pregnant with my daughter.

Had mine for 10 years, took it out and got pregnant a year later. Have it back in now and love it! Teenie tiny cramps every once in a blue moon and no period.

1 Like

I used the IUD for many years then switched to the implanon…implant in my arm. Love it.

I’m on my second one. Hands down the best choice for me. The first few days are sore and painful. Well worth it.

I’ve had mine for 3 years and absolutely love it x I wouldn’t ever use any other birth control now x Iv had no periods or any bad symptoms x it’s great x

I had the mirena IUD after the birth of my daughter because I would be able to breastfeed “comfortably” and have no problems.
Horrible horrible experience. The progesterone messed with my hormones more so and was causing me to have severe depression and suicidal ideation. I could feel the IUD while I walked, oh and sexual intercourse was extremely painful for myself and partner. I bleed for months, not spotting like they tell you.
I have heard from many friends they had the mirena iud and it implanted in their uterus. I also have had friends say it was the best birth control they have ever been with no problems. It all depends on your body and hormonal balance.

Your gonna get a lot of hate comments here. Just remember everyone’s experience is different. I just got mine in 2 weeks ago not so much for birth control but more to help the debilitating periods I have. You have to try what is best for you.

You could ask 50 different woman and they would have 50 different stories/experiences.
I would just recommend always keeping your string check appts and staying super in-tune with your body and always if you feel like something is off get yourself checked. Best of luck. Birth control is so difficult to decide on.

2 Likes

I have it and I’m still bleeding gained Weight and I’ve got Hormonal acne from it that I have to take tablets for and I’m miserable most of the time :joy:

I love it, I say give it 6 months or so for your body to accommodate. I had spotting at first and a little cramping but after a few months it was well worth it. I’ve had it for 4 years now.

Curious as well this is what I’ve been thinking of getting

I have had my for two years love it no periods, my only downfall was weight gain… but no period and no pregnancy soooooo…

Awful. Bled and bled and bled… xx

1 Like

I had it in, not even a month later asked them to remove it cos i had almost labour like pain all the time. Everyone’s bodies react differently so do what you feel is best for you…

It has worked wonderfully for me for the past 15+years. Absolutely no complaints

I had one when I was 18 and ended up in the emergency room, literally thinking I was going to die because of the amount of pain I was in. They removed it (after giving me 2 doses of morphine) and all was well in the land. I’ve only heard horror stories from everyone that I know that has had it.

It’s been known to perforate uteruses or be pulled out entirely on accident. Not for me I got the nexplanon.

I had my third girl with iud

3 rd one. For the last 15 years. Not a problem, not a period. I will keep one in until I hit menopause! Even though I’m far too old to get pregnant now!

I had it for 5 years no cramps and after a few months no more flow at all. When I went to get it changed after the 5 years I ended up pregnant with my 3rd about 2 months after they put the new one in.

I had it . I loved it. The only thing i didn’t like was when I first got it I bled for 8 months .

My question would also be why is this your only option?

Had it for 5 years. Loved the benefits of not getting pregnant but when they went to remove it, weren’t able to and almost had to have surgery. I also ended up with cysts which were painful but… didn’t get pregnant lol.

It tried going thru my uterine wall when I had it I was close to having to have emergency surgery to remove I not realized that something wasn’t right

It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me! No periods, no problems!! I’m on my 3rd one and I don’t know why every one who has ever been annoyed by birth control and periods doesn’t get one!!

I’ve had no issues with it tbh… Maybe weight gain? :thinking: No periods for me either

It made me physically ill and I was in so much pain 24/7. It even hurt to press on my stomach, bend over, etc. Even after having it removed I never felt 100% like myself again.

My wife had it for just under 5 years without issue.

Mirena was my only option too. I had very irregular periods and the doctor said that it would help regulate them and it did. I had normal periods for almost a year after I got it out. They are all messed up again because I got pregnant and lost the baby last year. I didn’t have any issues while I had it though

I have had 3 different experiences with it. 1st time, I bled for 6 months straight and then it completely stopped my periods. I cramped a lot and really bad with it, had it removed after a year and a half, got pregnant a week after having it removed. I had it a second time after my youngest was born, It immediately stopped my period but it gave me super bad anxiety. My OBGYN said it wasn’t the Mirena but I knew it was, I also had bad cramping and just felt like I was always crying so after about 6 months I had it removed and the anxiety and cramping stopped, I felt like I was going crazy but once it was removed I knew it was the IUD doing it to me, and my ex husband got a vasectomy. After having it out for about a year and a half, my periods got super bad and to the point where I would just lie there wanting to die so I got it a third time. My periods stopped after about a month, for about 3 months, then I had regular spotting when it would be time for my period for about 7 months and then they stopped again. I have had a much better experience this time. No cramping, just spotting sometimes. I forget it’s even there.

The first Mirena I had was ok. I liked that I had little or no period. The second one was not ok. I got pregnant with the second iud and then miscarried with its removal. It also caused a hormonal imbalance in my body that I’m still struggling with over a year later.

I’m on 2 years it was painful with inserting my ob had said it was due to the timing of my period starting spotted and cramping lightly for a few weeks it’s now been almost 2 years I love it no period at all cramps,bloating nothing maybe some mood swings now and again but that’s it!

Mirena was a horrible experience for me. I had it for about 4 months and the mood swings were unbearable. I was having melt downs at work. And I cried a lot. I went into my GP and said I feel like I’m gonna hurt someone if they say the wrong thing at the wrong time. The hormones in Mirena were not a good combination for me, and my GP pulled it and wanted me on anti depressants. I chose to wait it out and see what would happen naturally and my moods stabilized in about a week.

In all fairness, my body has always had bad side affects regarding hormones, and I was scared when my GP suggested it in the first place.

1 Like

I have no side effects had one for 5 years took it out now I’ve had this one 5 years soon to come out! No issues ever and got pregnant within a few months

It fell out, and I got a wonderful surprise 9 months later.

Had one for 5 yrs now I’m on 3 of 5 yrs on my second one. So total of 8 yrs, no issues, favorite part is no periods.

The only side effect I have had is no periods, which I think is a positive. I’m on my 2nd Mirena. I love it.

Ask for some sort of pain relief and cervix softening medication before having it inserted. my doctor inserted it 6 weeks after a traumatic c section and told me to just “take an ibuprofen before hand.” I have a relatively high pain tolerance and it hurt so bad I got dizzy & nauseous and felt like I was going to pass out. my doctor just said “yeah sometimes that happens”
the pain never ended up going away and then the IUD migrated and had to be removed. Ashamed to say that doctor insisted I have another one inserted and reassured me that this time its very unlikely it would migrate for a second time and that ended in a hospital trip where it had to be removed.

I switched providers and when I told her this, she was appalled.

I switched from Mirena to Paragaurd, the hormones in the Mirena were messing with me bad

I’ve had it for 17 years, I LOVE it. No issues. The insertion/change out can be painful, but it’s literally a 10 minute procedure and nothing an ibuprofen can’t manage…and waaaaaaay less painful than pregnancy and childbirth, for sure :rofl::rofl::rofl: Highly recommend.

The first time I was on it, I had no issues. The second time, I got pregnant after 4 or 5 months of being on it.

I’m on my 3rd Mirena, a total of 13 years since I had a period. No side effects. I am also considering getting my tubes tied.

My period stopped all together but it made me crazy and mean.

I had Mirena off and on for the past 17 years and I love it! It’s by far the best in my opinion. I haven’t had any problem and I get it taken out every 5 years and replaced with a new one, until I was ready for my 3rd and final child then I had it removed and conceived. Then had another one placed 6 weeks after delivery. My periods were non existent most months or very very light which I love. No cramping or pain associated with menstruation. For me it was a great experience.

2 Likes

weight gain 2 tubal pregnancies migraines among others. but Same with the pill and depo too. I ended up getting the implant in the arm best results for me.

I gained tons of weight and bled for like 3 months. After that I didn’t have a period at all. I did have lots of hormonal issues with it though.

I loved it I had no problems with it didn’t gain weight or have any kind of problems with it at all

my daugter got that and it gave her alot of trouble

Best and only option???!! Yeah, you def need a second opinion. Sounds like your OB is getting a kick-back.

1 Like

The Mirena caused very heavy bleeding for 4 months for me. That’s all I allowed before getting it removed and never tried a different type. Went back to low dose hormone pills.

I’ve had my IUD for over 7 years. Never get periods except for occasional spotting and no bad side effects except for when I first started it I felt dizzy for a couple days and then it went away. I highly recommend getting it!