My kids destroy everything they touch: Help!

it sounds like they all are hipper and have ADHD ask your MD about meds

Parenting ain’t for the weak … kids literally will drive you nuts… it’s taking it one day at a time being hands on and not giving up even when you just want to take a nap a fast forward to year 18… hang in there guys

A little discipline goes a long way. start early.

1 Like

Stop with the poor kids thing and put rewards in place for good behavior and consequences in place for bad behavior. :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Are you and/or your husband handy? If so get a small building project—- maybe building bird feeders or bird houses, flower boxes, etc. to start and work up from there. Let them feel proud of building something instead of destroying things. I saw you’re in an apartment so check with Home Depot they have kids workshops to make projects, or a friend’s or family’s house that has the tools to do so.

5 Likes

Don’t keep buying them stuff to break. Consequences are a valuable learning tool.

9 Likes

I’d whoop their ass. They wouldn’t do it again after that.

Sounds like they may need to be tested for ADHD. my son has ADHD and he has always been like this. Most kids that I know with ADHD are like this. They lack impulse control. They get bored easily. Their minds go 90 to nothing. & this is usually the end result. Buy them toys that are meant to be put together and taken apart. Any little car my son has ever gotten ended up with every single piece taken apart. IMO, spanking, yelling, pleading, taking all toys away etc won’t ever work. They need extra stimulation. & not just physical, outside play type stimulation. They need mental/brain stimulation.

3 Likes

I have never heard of any child destroying everything around them, especially their toys. I would tell them, once it’s gone, it’s gone, Let them do what they want to their stuff, just don’t; buy them new stuff, AS for the house, sorry about that, I would look into just what they are eating

2 Likes

Take everything away from them leave the mattress. Watch Dr Phil he had an episode about this. They have to earn things back.

Give all the unbroken toys to Buy nothing group.

Therapy may help.

Have them do structured play, activities, get them outside at the park, play sports, run laps, for the structure play have them do art , YouTube arthub4kids is good, Bobo PE exercise

Keep them busy with physical activities they probably just have energy to burn. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds like they need discipline

11 Likes

I am not trying to bash you or anyone else, but since I am one of the old school people, I would put a belt on their behinds.

9 Likes

Sit them down to a “family meeting” tell them No Christmas because they can’t stop destroying things. Ask them WHY they feel the need to do so. Maybe they will say they are curious how it’s made. Who knows their reason. Maybe telling them they need to learn respect for money and property therefore they will start earning their toys or money or Christmas.
Maybe parenting classes can help. I was shocked when I started them with my daughter at a local pregnancy help place. They helped her with diapers and clothes. But if you go old-school and decide to spank then never give more than 3 licks. And if you use a wooden spoon I did 1 good pop on their bottom to get my message across. Put nothing in their rooms but dresser and bed. Tell them it must be earned. They can help with your chores. Teach them respect.

1 Like

We detroyed nothing was greatful for every little toy

1 Like

Discipline them and by all means try every form of child discipline and see which one works for which kid. Time outs work for my 8 yr old while taking things away works for my 10 yr old. (Nothing works on the 3 yr old yet) And stop getting them things. They can play with broken toys and see how much fun they are. They need to learn the repercussions of their actions. My 8 yr old knows that if she accidentally breaks something I might replace it, depending on price. She also knows that if she purposely breaks something that I will never replace it and it’ll be a good while before she gets anything new. She hasn’t broken something on purpose for over a year now.

2 Likes

Sooo, stop wasting money & buying them toys… & have you considered putting them in outside sports?

2 Likes

Had problems with my daughter trashing her room…she did have ahd - doctor told me to take EVERYTHING out if her room but the bed…put toys in toybox in LOCKED closet…send her to bedroom when misbehave …took awhile but did help.
Takes LOTS if patience and discipline!

2 Likes

Have them earn the money for a new toy by doing chores or getting points for good behavior. See if them working to get the toy will help teach them to take better care of it.

3 Likes

Boundaries are a priority!!

2 Likes

I think your idea of just letting them play with 1 toy at a time supervised is a great idea. Some kids are easily hyper stimulated with too much choice so by taking that away you are encouraging them to focus on 1 thing at a time. My oldest son (now 32) was diagnosed ADHD before it was commonly diagnosed. We found allowing him 3 things to bring out the toy box at a time helped his concentration and reduced destructive behaviour. He’s know a mechanic incidentally and loves stripping cars apart and putting them back together better. So they may have an inquisitive rather than a purely destructive streak. Boredom is a terrible thing for kids with this tendency so maybe try structuring the day so they’re not just left alone for long periods of time where the may get bored then destructive. Hang in there it does get better x

3 Likes

Have you tried good old fashioned Spanking? Or writing sentences?
Being made to help fix what they broke?
Not purchasing something they want because you have to pay to replace what they broke.
Also do not replace the toys they destroy.
Standing in the corner.
Extra chores because now Mommy and Daddy have to work more to replace or fix what they have broken or wasted.

18 Likes

Take out everything bed toys everything make them sleep on the floor and what these kids need is a good spank on the butt

Make sure Santa don’t come home this yr. Sometimes you gotta put your foot down. Stop buying them new toys and a good ass spanking won’t hurt.

Quit buying toys. Give them empty containers from butter and such and tell them to see what they can make with them. Give them something to think on besides of distorting

4 Likes

Have them pay for said toys that they like.
Sometime when you have to pay your self you take better care of it.
Just a suggestion

1 Like

Make them do Cho red s , have them earn things with good behavior ect, they need to put things together and have them put it back ect , they need extra compliments to understand after their good behavior, they need some sports throw some soccer balls around and make them run it off

I’d stop buying them toys. If they break it that’s it. No replacement. Eventually they will have no toys and feel what that feels like. Natural consequences may be In order

4 Likes

That’s not normal behavior. I’d get a second opinion.

3 Likes

My kids only painted the walls once. They got a good spanking. And it never happened again

6 Likes

Ever hear of a switch ! ? Or a belt , paddle ect . find one and use it !

6 Likes

Same problem with 3.5 year old Grandson that lives with us. Spankings are a joke, he cries for a minute !!and begs for forgiveness then laughs in your face.

1 Like

Might try discipling them.

5 Likes

They sound curious, try getting some stuff that’s meant to be taken apart and put back together.

I agree with the therapist, some. IMHO, if your kids are destroying this to see what will happen or how it works, that’s curiosity at its finest, I was the same way. Took clocks and radios apart when I was lil, folks had to hide the tool back from me cause the tv was next!

They sound intrigued with the world around them. Get them things to specifically break and tear apart. Don’t stop them, feed into it. Get them toys that aren’t for breaking and some stuff that is for breaking and try to help them learn the difference :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Don’t take the broken toys away. Let them keep them, but don’t buy new ones. We once had a niece who thought nothing of breaking her toys because she was confident they would be replaced. Once she realized that new toys were not coming and she would have to play with the broken toy or just use her imagination, she started taking better care of her things.

8 Likes

Give em a good old fashion.

7 Likes

My 10 year old is destructive of his toys too & other things. I don’t care too much about the toys but he knows he won’t be getting the same thing again if that’s the case. I think a lot of it comes from boredom.

1 Like

Hmm. They are getting parental attention with this strategy. Maybe that’s what they crave. How many is „ all our children“.

2 Likes

If what you are doing isn’t working, you may want to try a different approach. I’d talk to his ped to confirm there’s no physical issues that are making them misbehave (if that’s what you believe is happening). My 12 year old destroyed toys until he was about ten. Could be normal behavior because there were no issues w him. I just bought crappy toys for him after deciding that was a battle I didn’t care to fight. You may want to make sure he’s not being picked on outside the home. He could be trying to deal w that, but doesn’t have resources to verbalize his pain and frustration.

Have they been tested for ADHD or something else. My son is that way and the dr. Says it’s overstimulation in the brain and something’s just not wired right.

It’s called “beat their god damn asses”. Pretty simple.

My children destroy things too and when they do I don’t replace it especially not toys, I could old fashioned butt whooping might solve that problem

Honestly people should not Bash for they aren’t there with you or to deal with this… I hope they will grow out of this God Bless you and your family 

Sounds like they need muzzling and an e collar if that doesnt work then euthanasia is the only logical option :+1:

3 Likes

As the sibling of a sh**ty brother who did this, my parents just stopped buying us stuff and said if you want it save your money. My brother started to actually take care of the things he bought.

10 Likes

Okay, so they are destroying toys…the obvious question is why? So when the toy is broken, have THEM pick up every single piece, and put it in a tub, bin, storage container, etc, and have them in a quiet time under supervision put the toy back together! If they can’t put it back together, make them problem solve a solution as to how the toy could be used differently and build that from the broken parts. Are they engaging in this destructive behavior to see how things work? If that might be the case…start getting STEM Materials instead of toys! Look for books or games or other materials, on inventions, engineering, construction etc!

5 Likes

Replace with cheap Lego construction toys gadgets anything to keep hands busy perhaps

1 Like

Bored? Need to burn some energy? Get them out doors for exercise.

Just an idea but maybe encourage them to create? Like get some clay and have them try sculpting something, for example. Not something like a Lego kit that has specific instructions (they might destroy lol) but just a lump of clay they can smash and twist and play around with. Maybe they end up enjoying it and trying hard to create something they really like. It might make them more hesitant to destroy thing? Just a thought, worth a try. Best of luck!

6 Likes

First: Don’t replace Anything ( of theirs) that they destroy. If they destroy anything else in the house… make them pay for it !!! Chores, etc. Make a chart. Let them know that they WILL BE RESPONSIBLE!!!

5 Likes

Do you have a chore list ? All little kids should have a list of chores that they are responsible for and assign money to the chore.
Let them earn the money to buy their own toys and then tell them they are responsible for the toys.

Do not just give them things, they need to earn the money to buy the toys so they can feel responsible for them.

You can start with letting the older kids pick out something that they would like and then let them earn the money for the item. If they don’t do the chores then it’s on them when they don’t have enough money to buy the item they want.

I did this with my kids when they were little, just with simple stuff like picking up toys,straightening their rooms and as they got older I gave them more chores. Even setting the table for dinner and helping make a salad for dinner.

They earned stickers on a chore list and at the end of the week we would tally up how much they earned.
They could save their money ( if the item was expensive) or we would go shopping for the thing they earned their money for. I never added to the money, they had to earn it.
It was a surprise to see how differently they treated their things when they earned the money to buy them.

6 Likes

Have u investigated foods!! And nutrition ! Some children lack nutrients and this causes behavior issues. If they do not already take daily vitamins and minerals please look into starting that right away. Also take all red food dye and process foods away. Including juices . Increase water intake and start a family hike adventure at least one a week. Wear their little bums outs. And see if you can see if that will help. They could possibly be board and need some adventure to help ease their minds , make up a treasure hunt make a list of things to find on your hikes/family walks and who ever finds them.all or close to picks the next location for the adventure/walk.
Stop buying toys and such that get destroyed. It’s a waste.
Good luck and hope you can incorporate new adventures and help this behavior.

1 Like

It’s pretty normal when it comes to bored kids. I have had seven kids and the two year old has begun drawing on the walls. Be patient.
Also is there a possibility that it happens during certain times? Being back from daycare or babysitters etc. sometimes it’s a tactic to be punished so they don’t have to return to a traumatic thing you don’t know about. Hugs. Kids are dinosaurs. They literally just want to know why. Even a child psych class will tell you until the frontal
Lobe develops it’s hit and miss. They only can have one emotion ata time. Like they want to know what’s behind the wallpaper and they aren’t concerned of your gonna get mad. It’s like saying don’t touch. Well their gonna touch.

2 Likes

Stop buying toys and throw broken ones away. They will realize when they have nothing to play with to appreciate what that have

3 Likes

Legos and matchbox cars are practically indestructible. I have a son, he’s grown now, but as a young child he would do this also. Usually from boredom. When he would be outside all day no problem. In the house on raining days the toys wouldn’t stand a chance. I noticed he wouldn’t tear I the cars and Legos. He would actually try building stuff. So I got him a few Lego instruction books and poof it’s like it fixed itself. Forgot to mention he is diagnosed ADHD. AND was never on meds. We changed his diet and got him more exercise.

Hey mama! I’m still in the cycle! I have 2 kids that are 14 months apart and they are seriously partners in crime! The things I’ve seen them accomplish in such a short amount of time is insane. So although I don’t have any advice for you, just know you’re not the only one!! Hugs!

Keep the routine what exactly you and ur husband decided to do. They don’t value the toys and that is why they are broken. Yes! They are too rowdy. Breaking stuff and the point is you have to have consequences for their poor actions or they will continue to destroy the entire house.
My boys are the same way. So far broke 2 couches , a big tv and screen broke through also books have been torn and puzzles torn.
We had to put toys in their closet and only pull out the the one toy they will lay with at that time. So much trash. So much wasted money. Mostly it’s the toddler doing the destruction. My 5 yr old had hidden his toys on his top bunk so my toddler doesn’t get to it and destroy it. Yes we are at our wits end. One of the couches we only had for 4 months!
It can also be partly our fault Becuz we are overly trusting, we decide to put tv on a stand with limited space and it was kinda low, the other couch has big cushions and it was never comfy but it got worse with kids jumping and climbing. Walls have marker on them and I have to get print to fix it.
Separate the older kids toys from the younger kids. The kids still need naps. Yes they do need to be stimulated but make sure u still put the toys away with a baby lock .

MY KIDS HAD A ROUTINE…while i did houaework in the morning the kids would watch a good movie after breakfast…then we did coloring …or played with lego…anything to stimulate the mind i would make cupcakes and cookies with them and have them decorate
In the spring and sumner We then played outside for hours on the swingset or in the pool while they had an afternoon snooze i relaxed then back into the pool but summer we were outside playing most of the day…they had outdoor toys, cars, dirt, sand , bicycles, soccer, crochet, toys galore outside
Kids get bored but playing alot outside does wonders

Stop enabling them. Be the parent.

5 Likes

Don’t give them toys until they can mind them. U have got to discipline now or you will end up without any control

4 Likes

it’s pretty regular, usual, normal behaviour. Do you not remember being a child? Kids often “break” things because they are playing rough while exploring. If your children are all below age 8 this is absolutely normal developmentally… I don’t know who told you the lie that kids aren’t messy or wreck stuff, but… :woman_shrugging:t3: they do. all the time.

1 Like

Sometimes one quick smack on the but real quick may help. If you tear the wall paper off in 30 seconds but your left but cheek hurts for a 5 minutes you may think twice about pulling that wall paper off. Im not saying beat a child to a pulp but a lil smack on the but or hand and sitting in the corner for 10 minutes will make you think twice. I don’t care about people’s opinions about there or my parenting skills but my child has never destroyed my house or toys. End of debate. You aren’t friends you are parents stop acting like friends.

6 Likes

I suggest u move out to the country …give them wide open space to do whatever outside… farm animals are good therapy… and they become responsible… whether horses or rabbits :rabbit2:… great teaching… :heart:. They will become attached to animals!! :notes::pray::pray::blush::heart:

1 Like

Do you have a safe outdoor space for them? Fenced in yard? Send them out if possible?
Also, Moms tend to beat themselves up a tom! The Momguilt is a bitch!!! Give yourself a little grace. Clearly you’re trying and have been given lots of suggestions here :slight_smile:
One day you’ll remember this phase of theirs and be thankful they grew out of it!!!

There has to be consequences for their destruction behavior. You have to discipline them and be consistent.
You have to communicate with them what acceptable and unacceptable behavior is. What happens when they go to school or other children’s homes?

2 Likes

You didn’t mention how many children you have but kids will be kids and if the older one is destroying toys it could be that they aren’t aged for him/her or whatnot - try to categorize time sessions with each age group so that each child is getting the needed mommy/daddy time they need - when one feels left out, I’ve learned over the years by the way, it’s like a domino effect once one of them is distressed eventually they all go tumbling down the same direction destroying any and all things in that path way - just got to keep working on strategies and being consistent with whatever routine you decide to take - don’t start one and after just a couple of days quit bc it doesn’t seem to work give yourself at least a two week time frame to see if things will go well or not…don’t beat yourselves up just keep trying.

Try giving them paper to rip. That sometimes calms them.

1 Like

Maybe a therapy dog or a weighted blanket.

Stop buying them toys. U r enabling “ feeling bad for them they can’t have nice things” they aren’t letting u have nice things.

5 Likes

With an Irish catholic mother who was a farm girl with lots of brothers, she would not allow us to walk over her or disrespect her at all. Dad was a city kid and would lecture us when necessary. Mom wouldn’t take the belt to us but dad sure did.
We were taught to respect them and most of the time did.
We didn’t have the money to go out to dinner, but our grandmother did have the money to take us out.
Dad would pull over to the side of the road and give us a lecture on how to behave in a restaurant and to do nothing silly. He made sure that we respected the waitresses and were ready to order when the waitress was ready.
Our cousins were not able to behave and had to get new furniture every 2 years because they would jump around and put holes in the walls of their house.
If we ever did that we would be grounded and not allowed to play basketball or football.

5 Likes

Not a popular opinion I’m sure …I had 5 great kids and never have they done these things but following thru with rules and punishment is something you have to do. Write the house rules on poster board and post them in a central location along with the consequences. Dole out those consequences every single time. Get creative with punishments. I chose to use physical labor like cleaning windows, scrubbing potties etc…worked well

7 Likes

Sounds like lack of discipline to me. Saw it with my niece, whose mom would drop her on anyone for days and everyone felt so sorry for her that no one would spank her for anything. Kept giving her toys and spoiling her. She started destroying them,peeing in the floor,tearing her room apart, etc. Kids NEED discipline!!!

From now on…no toys or anything new unless it is a holiday or birthday. Start spanking butt and putting in time out with no tv for 15 minutes so can think about what they did. Neighbor is going through same thing. They never discipline the kid and give her anything she wants. Kid just started school. It is her first week of kindergarten and she is already expelled for hitting other kids,destroying things,and acting out.

Another thing…instead of buying them things ALL the time,which sounds like what yall are doing…Spend more on Experiences! Take them to zoos and aquariums, take them outside to plant a garden or play in kiddy pool during the day. Set up water balloon fights outside every now and then. Take them to a park for bike races. Let them pop their own popcorn in the microwave and everyone gather in the living room at night for a kid’s movie night once a week. Help them set up a fort to watch said movie in. Too many people are substituting buying their kids things these days so dont have to spend time with them. Kids NEED attention as well!

All their old toys…get them to bag whatever isn’t broken up and take them to a donation box with you to donate what can,explaining that there are kids out there that can’t afford toys,so appreciate anything they get. Start focusing on raising more humble and kind kids that think of others
.not selfish brats. Kids can turn into brats quick if dont get the structure,attention, and discipline they need…as well as important life lessons only a parent can teach. So,stop being your kids friend and step up and be their Parents.

They need discipline in the form of punishment and reparations. Teach them consideration and kindness and how to be good stewards. And don’t threaten without you following through.

4 Likes

Always consequence for their actions. I agree take things that mean something yo them. You are on the right path. Dont give up.

1 Like

Maybe incorporate a activity where they can be purposefully destructive (maybe outside so less of a clean up.) It night help curb the destructive behaviour with the toys if every day or two they let out that destructive urge and aren’t in trouble for it. Also kids just seem to naturally break toys constantly. Maybe keep any destroyed or near destroyed toys to maybe make in to an activity later on.

2 Likes

I would just offer toys they can’t destroy. Blocks, Lincoln logs, Lego’s, water balloons, paint rocks, GI joes, glue Popsicle sticks. Lots of arts and crafts but not crayons they can break or markers they can color on things.

This is not the forum to learn how to raise children, especially if they are yours.

Start making them pay for what the break by working in the yard or house! Teach accountability and responsibilities! Every time they do something like that teach them by making them work for what they break! Even the little ones can learn that!

1 Like

I WOULDNT buy them toys they need disapelen OUT OF COUNTROL … whos the parent here …

A belt works wonders

8 Likes

Make them work for what they get.

2 Likes

Club sports. Wear them out and social inclusion. Sense of community. Also. Other children and their behaviours to learn from. At the moment it sounds like they’re all following each other’s behaviours. Monkey see monkey do.

How about Karate. It teaches the self control & respect. I know 3 in one family age 3. 5 & 7 & they are all taking that because of some self control problems. It is helping.

8 Likes

Even small children. Can do something to help out the household. My parents would have whooped my behind and I thought twice the next time. Made me a respectful polite nondestructive human being. Just saying, it all start with you taking back the control

6 Likes

What I have learned when working with children. A destructive child is a bored child. Often times they need more time with the parents and feel neglected. A lot of negative behavior stems from feelings of neglect. Best of luck.

1 Like

Not bashing because in my 30 years of parenting I’ve not had that issue. But, try time outs when a toy gets broken. Maybe they will see its much more fun to play with then to break. Good luck

1 Like

You took the best step to be involved with them. Maybe they are born for demolishing in their adult life. Until then give them some way to channel that energy or desire. Do not give expensive toys. Give them building toys so they would be less wanting to destroy what they make. Give them scrap wood let them create something. Give them scraps of plastic etc . Let them earn a toy they want. Do not just give it to them get family members on the same page so if you stop just giving toys they cannot get them from others. But thift store toys or tell them once they are done and outgrow a toy it has to stay intact to give to another child.

3 Likes

My son tore up everything so did his father it don’t end at least not for me

My daughter never tore up anything

I gave his tonka toys to trash man after he dismantled them.

No McDonalds, No soda. No foods with food coloring. Cook food. No packaged, instant, no candy. No juices with food coloring or heavy sugars other than naturally occurring from fruit itself. Try this and you WILL see a change. Give kids treats rarely after two weeks. Fruit, homemade cookies with decreased sugar and celery with p.b. should be their snacks. American kids have sugar for breakfast, lunch dinner and snacks and it causes withdrawal into themselves and lashing out. Try it. It cant hurt. I’ve seen it work on a non verbal child. He is in regular school.

8 Likes

My daughter is destructive I’ve found getting her things that she can either build and/or tear apart without actually breaking them to help, when she has these items specifically for building and destruction she doesn’t seem to look to release that energy in other areas or on other items. I hope that makes sense. It’s deflating I feel for you, it’s really hard when you want to give them everything but feel like they don’t deserve it.

4 Likes

Try karate. It teaches restraint and uses energy

3 Likes

Maybe try child gym equipment, like heavy ropes attached to trees, high swings that they can flip through, tyre swings (or you can make an a-frame out of wood for rock climbing), rock climbing rocks to attach to trees, rope ladders etc, basketball ring.
It might not fix it but at least it might give you a little space here and there and most of these things are really tough they do not break easily.

3 Likes

The structure and restrictions are great. Some kids and people don’t. Have common
sense. Self talk when you play with a toy next to them. Don’t replace toys unless they learn it your doing a good job
I would find another family therapist that is willing to come to your home

I need help with that too. my daughter’s grandma gave her a bed with the box spring and frame, everything. Two weeks later, it’s destroyed. The only thing usable is the mattress. My daughters, 7 and 5. They keep getting into things that’s not theirs. And destroy it. I need help too. I do know my kids have ADHD because I have it. And I help the the best I can with it, but my own mom didn’t find out I had it until third grade because my teacher had noticed it.

Sounds like they need a good ol fashioned ass whoopin to me! I have raised 9 kids, and dealt with it all! I have tried the being calm and talking to them, talking to therapist ect, even taking EVERYTHING away, but when none of that worked, I started bustin that butt, and that worked. I know what you are going through, and it is hard, but yall will get through it.

You are not alone.If my kids break something that we have to replace then they do extra chores to pay back what they broke.This is not counted with their regular chores.If it’s their own toys we also take them away and they can earn a toy back if they don’t break that one they can earn another toy back but if they eran a toy but not take care of it and completely breaks it we talk to them about how it’s important that we don’t break stuff because then it gets thrown away and they never get it back.We have them throw it away themselves.DO NOT SPEND ALOT OF MONEY ON TOYS IF THEY JUST BREAK THEM…I always wanted my kids to have the best I could give them.I grew up poor and didn’t have much.If I could get my kids a cool toy they wanted I would get it but then days later it’s on the ground broken…The best you can give them besides toys is to teach them about responsibility, appreciations, accountability and taking care of things rather it’s theirs or someone else’s.Theres so many kids that can only dream to have what they have and if they can’t take care of their toys it is good to donate them to a child who will.Your doing a great job mama.I know you want your kids to have all these things but continue doing what you guys are doing and they will come around just keep in mind it can take different time for different kids but when 1 does good lots of praise to that child and tell the others that is what you want from all of them.Then explain in detail what was good that your child did.You could also keep a chart for each of them if they go through so many days they can earn a toy back or even money to save for anew to just something like that so they can see that the reward is there for them being good

3 Likes

They need to be assessed formally. Kicking out windows for no good reason isant normal. You could get things they are aloud to destroy and put back together but there needs to be rules and routine around what is and what isant aloud to be destroyed. You could have future mechanics and inventers on your hands. Sounds like they are very inquisitive. 1:1 is good if possable. Having them assessed will let you know exactly what’s going on and better help to manage them so they can grow into strong independent individuals. I suspect they might be neurodiverse

3 Likes

Spank they’re butts works every time

15 Likes

I started out talking to them as toddlers with no, no if they squeezed the neighbors cat or dog. And showed them how to pet them. When they got a stuffed animal they knew how to treat it. Used toys that build or made them think. Taught them to put toys in box when done playing with. If left on floor where we could step on it, they lost privilege with that toy for a day, etc. Expensive toys should always be monitored. There is always the one who wants to see what makes it go. I had TV time for a couple hours, then play time inside, then nap time. After lunch was outside time. I put my one daughter in basketball at 8 at her elementary school. She did that all the way to high school. (All free). Enrolled her in swimming at Y.(minimal cost) She also ran track with AAU starting at age and went to Jr Olympics as well as doing high school track. (mostly free) My stepson did football from age 7 in midget league. (mostly free). Active minds need things to do. The library had reading to children hour & craft day. I would get them involved with that and reading a book. To earn trips to zoo, pool etc. Every kid had a job to do in house (making bed or helping make it at 6, cleaning up after themselves, washing dishes (putting dish in dishwasher) washing a plate, helping the younger brother or sister etc. Kept them busy. They lost privileges if they destroyed or smart mouth us. You start as you mean to go. They won’t hate you if you correct them. You are training them for life. They will be able to play with other kids toys. Nothing feels bad as another parent telling you your child tore up their child’s expensive toy or painted on their wall and you have to replace toy or pay for damages. You can avoid this by setting up house rules on what is aloud and sticking to the consequences for them not following them. :+1::100:

5 Likes