My 13 year old smokes weed, what can I do?

I think he was honeat to tell you about it. If i was in that situation(which i think i will be one day as his other 3 parents do it) i would tell him that its his choice but if school becomes affected(grades, skipping class, tardy, or sports) or chores then we will be having a different conversation about it. Also that if he wants to do it that you will get it from a dispenser as anything other could be laced which could be very dangerous.

1 Like

FYI "SMOKING"weed is bad for you. Your lungs, your heart etc. While Marijuana does have some benefits, generally it is not good for a child in any form. No clue how to stop a 13 year old from smoking, because I’ve been trying to get mine to stop with no luck. But for people saying it’s not a big deal, it will be when they are 30 walking around on oxygen

15 Likes

Tell him ur unhappy but (if ur willing) then he can smoke as long as his grades are good he helps around the house and he doesn’t eat you out of house and home

Military school here we come if he refused to stop after me asking him too!

2 Likes

He’s going to do it whether you support it or not so just encourage him to be safe and trust his sources. Talk to him about what drugs can do to the developing brain and remind him that weed doesn’t need to lead to the use of other drugs. The more open you are and understanding vs trying to control, the more likely he’ll be comfortable talking to you about everything. Let’s be honest, no matter how many times our parent told us not to do shit the more likely we were to do it lol

If that’s all hes doing and is honest with you. You are a lucky mom

16 Likes

First of all it’s awesome he admitted it to you. Punishing him is going to ruin that relationship. It’s not going to stop the behavior you’re trying to stop. Personally I’d rather weed than cigarettes. (I smoke cigarettes) He is young. I’d just talk to him about the dangers of driving while high, that his reaction time is decreased. Also talk to him about how it makes him feel & why he does it. If it’s pure pressure then he doesn’t need those friends. If he does it to self medicate depression, anxiety, pain etc then find him a Dr.

4 Likes

I have a now 17&14 yr old sons that started this at 14&12… it’s been an ongoing battle to stop it… I’ve done everything to stop it but it still
Continues more so with my 17 yr old… all
He cares about is getting high, working and graduating this year…. I’m so scared it’s gonna lead him down a road of nothing but bad decisions… I pray and that’s all I know to do

I told my parents I smoked when i was 17 and i had a curfew until i moved out at 21

1 Like

If it’s against the rules then it’s against the rules. You explain why they’re being punished and follow through but with something like that id also talk about actual repercussions that can happen if you’re caught smoking or with it and are not legally able to.

He wouldn’t be going back to that friends house and id be speaking w the friends parents as well. Definitely good thing he’s honest with you though.

1 Like

Idk maybe I difference it’s not ok do any drugs u want be adults do adults thing u be treat like one. 1st off I calling or getting hold of the friends parents information them my child no longer allow at there house if she or he over there I be reporting it , idk y ppl so claim about it he told her o great this ur warning , this what going happen , if it happens again , I will not be this nice… drugs r drugs I dont even like taking ones dr give …let my daughter come home high she get one chance to ,

1 Like

I am a weed smoker. But it makes me sad when kids start 12-13 they are still babies. Their brains are still growing. You should talk to that kids parents. Where were they??

6 Likes

Tough love.

Basic needs only until he earns then back

2 Likes

“My 13 year old smokes weed, what can I do?”

Go back in time and bring him up properly?

13!!!

Is anyone from social services reading this?!

19 Likes

Ok so ya as a mom you dont want your child to smoke anything I get it . I was a pot smoker and skipped school ect . Bad idea. I have done ok and have always been responsible and still smoke weed, fast forward when my kids went to school my son was a A B student he never skipped and did house chores ect , he also started smoking but I was more concerned with his grades , attendance and home life as long as that didn’t suffer I felt he was managing well ( life goals right ) so lay out your expectations and tell him while you dont want him to smoke you are more concerned on how it might affect his school, sports , home life ,.

5 Likes

You need to find a way to talk to him and put a stop with it. Maybe he doesn’t need to be hanging out with those kids if that’s what kind of influence they have on him. It is 100% not ok for him to be doing it

2 Likes

Tell him he can smoke all he wants when he’s 18 but right now his brain is still developing

3 Likes

One time experimenting is not habitual smoking. It it was once, definitely gently educate and inform (especially if it’s in a state where it is legal). I would definitely treat this as if the kids passed around a beer (unless this isn’t a first) and explain that any smoking or consumption of altering drugs can be stunting, either physically or mentally. There are kind ways of handling this, and since you guys have such a great relationship already, it should be easier to handle gently. I wish you luck. Hugs

3 Likes

Ummm. You are parent. You make the rules you enforce them or he keeps his ass at home. When the high from the weed isn’t enough he will be drinking then when that’s not enough other drugs.

Commenting for a friend whos currently in Facebook jail and can’t comment on things :joy:

Growing up I was around very pro Marijuana adults, that being said none of the kids were allowed to smoke or anything until we were older (16 ish) and it we would need to be at home so we could be in a place where we wouldn’t get into trouble and was usually only allowed at night and weekends because it effects teenage brain development and can effect your grades. Weed is the last "drug"id be worried about BUT I’d talk to him about the legality of it, educate him on how it might look if it’s laced, explain your feelings and worries, if you end up being ok with it, explain your expectations such as school scenarios like no failing grades or ditching or getting caught with it at School. Truth of the matter is, is if he likes it than he’s going to smoke regardless.

8 Likes

I smoke weed been smoking since I was 15 maybe started at 14 if I remember right. My mom knew and just let me do bc weed isn’t bad :woman_shrugging:t3: my kids are 5 and 4 tbh rather them smoke weed then smoke cigs are do other drugs. And me and my old man made a decision that if they did smoke week then we rather them smoke with us then somebody else

1 Like

It’s awesome he’s honest with you. Hopefully he respects you enough to follow your rules.

2 Likes

Not saying I agree with it, but, I rather have my kids smoke weed than do some other nasty drugs.

1 Like

Be okay with it . It’s just weed .

1 Like

Just talk to him about it. Seems like you have a good relationship :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Well, I’m not against marijuana at all. But he’s thirteen, and that is illegal. I would use the legal edge of the argument, because it will mark his record, just like if he were drinking underage. I would explain that you have nothing against weed per say, but you do have a lot against breaking the law. :woman_shrugging:t3: I don’t know, but it’s a tough one

2 Likes

I smoke and my kids knew but then got around a friend that did and they started. I was so mad when i found out cause the mother let it happen in her house and never let me know. Now they don’t hang with that kid but the older they the more friends they have that smoke. I guess it going to happen in the hood. I tried to talk to them and continued counseling. But my fear was always them hanging in the streets and getting into to trouble just to fit in and smoke. I would explain and tell him why but that hard to stop since he is 15 and 9nlu getting older.

Tell him smoking weed ruins your enamel

I think the best thing you can do is educate them on the dangers and also the dangers of other drugs make it a open conversation for questions and find out his reasoning behind and go from there

1 Like

Just let it be. Nothing you can do within reason will stop him. He will find a way so I suggest talking safe/responsible use, maybe keep it to weekends, and so on.

3 Likes

If he’s being honest with you, he’s being safe about it.

1 Like

Ok so you def can be brought up on charges and probably have him taken away for allowing it. Idk. I would sit him down and let him know foster care isn’t a walk in the park and he needs to cut the crap. He’s a child. Just an off topic question. What does his father have to say about this.

4 Likes

At 13 it’s not “just weed” it’s very bad for their development and someone who starts that young is more likely to try harder things. It sounds like you’re able to talk to him to be honest and tell him why it’s not ok and if he doesn’t stop after that I would start the punishments and restrictions but that’s me.

6 Likes

Hes going to do it regardless. I’d have a chat and say that even tho you dont approve you have to keep up with school(no skipping or grades slipping), dont do it anywhere where the cops can get called and catch you(such as driving around with friends or at the local hang out spot parking lot), and if he participates in any afterschool activities he has to keep up with those too.

2 Likes

I agree with Ashlee Michelle Adams
Also it could bring on psychosis in younger kids. Aside from it’s not ok and drugs are drugs and illegal at his age. Kids have it on hand now and that’s hard to control cuz it’s everywhere. Weed is definitely not what it was years ago. Some kids look like they are on heroin when they smoke it, especially the wax it’s awful n sad. Now they can buy the electric ones and you can’t even smell it. Memory loss would be devastating if he continues at a young age. Best of luck to you and your son.

1 Like

Meh… it’s weed. My 15 year old smokes idc as long as it’s outside and she doesn’t get caught or in trouble. Her grades are fine… not worth the constant fight.

7 Likes

The human brain does not fully developed until early 20’s, ask him to wait. He will be forever a teen in his logical thinking and choice making. Be the parent make the tough choice for him now, or deal with his teenage choices 30 years from now.

6 Likes

Obviously you make him smoke 20 (blunts or joints) back to back like they used to do in the 80/90s when a parent caught their kid smoking cigarettes😂

16 Likes

People are saying it’s only weed, it’s only weed. He’s only doing it cuz his friends are doing it. When his friends try something else harder the he will do the same thing to. I think 13 is way to young cuz that will lead to more hard drugs. You and hubby need to have a good conversation with him about drugs and the dangers.

3 Likes

He’s going to do it, regardless, so set boundaries/limits. No being out in public, no being high at school… Grades.

6 Likes

It’s just weed. At least he was honest with u. Ask him if hes going to smoke to only smoke around u

7 Likes

You’re brain is still developing until the age of 25 so everyone saying it’s ok…he could be doing more damage than good :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Want to say that I am a big supporter of legal marijuana to start. A lot of the comments are treating it as an illegal substance all around, depending on your state that might not be true for adults but is for children.

There is a bigger reason for it. We don’t know much about the use of weed in children but what we do is that it can impact brain development.

I’ve never been the parent who does the “they’ll just hide it” “at least they are honest” “they can safely do it at home” IMO it’s just lazy parenting.

What do you do? You… Parent.

Are you really saying you have zero control over the son you are so close with?
Talk to him. You are close, close enough for his honesty in that moment (although depending on how stoned he was it might have just been that he was high and couldn’t help himself enough to lie)

It’s important as parents we don’t let friendship interfere with our responsibilities to keep our kids safe.

Let him know weed is safe in adults and when he’s an adult he can make that decision. Depending on his maturity level show him studies and explain what he is risking.

With kids it’s all we can do to educate and keep them safe. Maybe he won’t listen. Maybe you’ll need to step up with a punishment, I wouldn’t now because he was honest.
But in my opinion not being ok with it means action and prevention…

16 Likes

My experience with my son is he started weed at 14 and now has tried every drug out on the streets. He is 34 and has never held a job for more than a month at a time. I’ve lost count of the rehabs he’s went to and thinking Everytime it’s the last one. I also have known adults to lose their jobs bc they can’t stop weed. I truly believe it’s addictive!

3 Likes

Punish him! He’s too young to be doing that stuff

2 Likes

I would of made him feel paranoid as shit so maybe he won’t want to again lol. That’s hard at 13…I tried things early on and I am so grateful it didn’t turn out badly, addiction to other things…etc
One good thing is, he is honest. Taking ppl out of his life, may cause him to be rebellious. Good luck!

Let him know the consequences and the road he could be headed down maybe limit contact with those friends and if he keeps doing it and is completely defiant then have him sit down with an officer or send him to dt for a night or two

I smoked weed when o was 11! I’m okay and the most happiest fucker ever hahaha

Dont be pissed at him. Its weed. Be glad its that and not something else

6 Likes

Same it’s tough, my son 14 told me, I respect that he told me, and he respects me by 1)not doing it in my home or around 2)he doesn’t attend school he will have consequences 3)educate educate educate, I tell him all the time about poor mental health etc, he now vapes it makes its throat to sore, but I know were he is at all times in his friends house smoking and that put my mind at ease, especially that we live in a rough part of glasgow

1 Like

The amount of people in these comments that are okay with a 13 year old smoking is insane to me…

9 Likes

I think it’s time for y’all to have a very open discussion about drugs. I’m not here to bash other drugs but tbh weed is probably one of the better ones and that where he needs to stick to lol. Now if you can get him to stop smoking weed then great. If not I recommend having a talk about when we can be high and when we cannot be high. After school and weekends. Also you might as well buy it for him so at least you know who is coming from and you can trust it a little more.

As a teen who was once there, my parents caught me and punished me everytime. Instead of talking to me about why i felt i needed it. This caused me to sneak around a lotto get it. I’m now 26 with 2 kids of my own, still smoke and am a daily user. At 13, i would have a discussion about why he’s doing it and if it’s medicinal purposes then talk about maybe doing that as a last resort when he’s older, but at his young age now let’s talk to a dr about better alternatives. I used for medicinal purposes at 13, had my parents actually talked to me I’d probably be in a different situation now. I’ve now been diagnosed with anxiety depression DDD and scoliosis, among other issues but these are most recent that i got checked out and why i was using. I’m still having other issues checked out and diagnosed. But please, give your child a safe open place to talk about it. You go in punishing him and angry for it isn’t going to help anyone involved.

4 Likes

I smoked weed when I was his age and so did my mom. She didn’t want me to know that tho obviously and we fought super hard through my teenage years when we could have been super close because you’re right I just went behind her back and it made alot of distance between us.

I smoked week at 13 and never went to anything stronger. I see alot saying " this will lead to something stronger" not always people. And to be honest it is just weed. It’s not horrible, but you also know your child better then anyone here. If it were my child, sitting down and trying to figure out why the smoked it would be my main concern. If it’s just because if their friends, then I would try and steer them in a different direction. There could me another reason.

You are the parent he is only 13. Stop him from hanging with his friends take his forms of communication away so he can’t get in touch with them. Follow him everywhere he goes and when he complains tell him how you can’t trust him now to make good choices. Tell him about peer pressure and how it will make you do things that will take you off path and if those were his real friends they wouldn’t of offered it to him unless they knew he already was doing it. If y’all are so close let him know how it will make him procrastinate in life and could eventually lead to harder drugs. Sometimes tough Love is the best love you can give. Find him something else to do positive with his time and hope he didn’t enjoy the high enough to want it again.

3 Likes

It’s weed not crack and he was honest with you… I agree with the comment about setting boundaries about it because you know he’ll do it anyways so why not have an agreement about it . Trust is everything with teens ! Try to keep that close relationship! I’m not saying let him do whatever he wants obviously your his parent and not his friend but at the same time aren’t you glad he was honest and willing to communicate about it ? Good luck !

8 Likes

I’d provide him and his friends with a safe space. Although I don’t agree with it, I’d much rather he was doing stupid shit safely under my roof.
It could be worse, honestly.

As a parent of a 13 year old boy I mean I would hope he would wait but I was 13 when I started smoking weed so. He knows it’s my medication and that we do it at home and not out doing it in public .

He is going to do it so you need to set rules.

Make sure the other parent knows and that you don’t allow that. Tell your son he is on a tight rope for now and don’t let him go to other’s home. Because he was honest with you it’s up to you if you want him to have company at your home while your home only. Bore him with the damage that can come from experimenting at such a young age. Let him know that in today’s world you never really know what your getting. Show him reports on how one bad drug use can change his life forever

All these let him do it comments and free spirited parenting advice are a no go for me! Not in my house or while you’re living under my roof! This child is 13 not 17-18. For goodness sake’s allow a 13 year old too toke it up whenever… please! I’m not against weed but I am not for minors who’s brains are still developing to be smoking it. If it was my son we’d have a serious sit down and open conversation. I’m a recovering addict so I know what alcohol and weed and other considered harmless drugs can lead too. I would briefly explain how my addiction started and how it was horrible to live that way. I would be getting drug kits and testing him weekly. And if he was to keep smoking the consequences wouldn’t be in his favor I can guarantee that. Everyone can parent how they want to. But not happening in my house!

4 Likes

I was smoking weed at 13 so I can’t say much about it but I’d just set boundaries (have him smoke at home, no being in public, etc) at least it was only weed and not anything harder, weed is NOT a gateway drug and in my opinion it’s not a drug it’s a plant. If it were my kid I’d rather be the one buying it for my kid because at least I’ll know it isn’t being laced with anything and I’d have him smoke at home under supervision.

1 Like

In my personal opinion, weed is at least better than some other things he could be trying. Just talk to him about it

1 Like

Your the mom and he’s the child so you set the rules. Weed doesn’t bother me but I have a 14 year old and I wouldn’t allow her to do it. Even in states that it’s legal there is a age on it.

2 Likes

Brain isn’t finished growing until the twenties.

1 Like

Be parents not friends…be tough now or sorry later

5 Likes

As a teen who was once there also and had a MIP for marijuana at the age of 14 let them know the consequences. My parents set boundaries when I was as teenager however I still went out and did it anyways 💁. Good luck :crossed_fingers:

13 is young but today’s world I would rather my kids smoke weed then out popping pills getting drunk doing crack meth hurion and so much more! Weed is not as bad as everyone thinks!

4 Likes

I can remember feeling like I had to hide things from my parents… not as easy to talk to. I always said I’d be the opposite with my child some day if I had one. My son is 19 and he has always come to me and talked to me- whatever it may be. You can warn- scold or punish them- but in the end… the choice will always be theirs. I was always one to learn my lesson the hard way… sometimes that’s what it takes. But given I couldn’t be as open- I was more rebellious. Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it- just don’t make them feel like they’re terrible for it.

2 Likes

I started smoking when I was 12. My mom found out and was upset. She punished me and tried to keep my isolated to prevent me from doing it. I became more sneaky. One day she sat me down and we talked. She put limits on it and I followed. I had good grades never got into any trouble and I’m now 23 and all I do is smoke weed.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t let him hang out with the kid u picked him up ats house when he was high. And have a talk with the kids parents. He is 13 just a kid and shouldn’t even be in that situation. Have a long talk with him about drugs and effect it has on a young persons brain and development. Maybe even show him where kids end up when getting into drugs at an early age.

2 Likes

It’s all fun and games until one of his friends gives him a laced blunt.

7 Likes

Make rules that you were comfortable with. If you’re OK with him smoking he cannot keep it in the home. He cannot drive while high Or be in the same car as anybody who is driving and High. He’s going to do it regardless be very thankful you have a good relationship.

4 Likes

I’d call the cops. Whoever is supplying it to a child needs arresting.

1 Like

My kid would lose all privileges for awhile/be grounded and also never be allowed around those kids again.

2 Likes

He needs be very cautious the cannabis he could be getting getting the streets can be laced with anything. Also if he catches possession charge he might lose all chances at his dream career. I’d be open and honest about all the danger. Yes cannabis can be an amazing medicine I use it myself for my illness.

3 Likes

Have him talk and listen to a emergency room doctors think about weed now days. It’s not like the stuff that was going around 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Be open. As long as they have good grades, are a good kid with respectful morals then who cares? I have an almost 8 year old. If he decides that’s something he wants to partake in that later on in life then I would hope he could be open to me about it and know he has a safe space at home.

9 Likes

Just talk to him. Tell him why your worried about it. Ask him what he would do if it were HIS 13 year old son

1 Like

I can’t believe how many parents are okay with their teenage kids using drugs

10 Likes

Weed can be laced with anything it’s as dangerous as every other drug now a days

8 Likes

Don’t take away his freedom because he made a choice more common than drinking these days! Taking his life away will make it so much worse. It is for sure a serious topic and understanding the long term effects of weed as a teenager is SUPER important, you have to convince your child it is worth it to say no. . . he will 100% go behind your back even if you say you are okay with it! Just keep your eyes peeled and do frequent phone check ins when hes out. Teens will be teens, let him learn his lessons and be mindful that it’s normal to experiment. If it starts effecting schooling or normal life then therapy and getting professionals involved is the way to go.

It’s just weed and won’t hurt nothing

5 Likes

Don’t punish him or make him feel bad for his honesty but set him right by your standards

2 Likes

Explain to him the dangers of smoking things he’s not familiar with. Many people sell weed that’s laced with other things and it becomes extremely dangerous

Let him smoke it…if you try to stop him he will hide it from you…you sound like a cool mum…don’t know if it’s legal where you live…takes away the taboo…if it is…it’s not legal in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and probably never will be…until our government realise they can earn some money from it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: good luck and it’s a plant :seedling: :kissing_heart:

All kids are gonna want to experiment but I would go over the effects and although it is safe for adults it can impact young kids with brains that aren’t fully developed. That’s what I would focus on. The facts

1 Like

He’s already doing it and he was honest about it and you both are close . Might as well let him keep it how it is untill he doesn’t like it or changes his own mind. You sound cool and I never was close with my mom. Let him experience with it

4 Likes

I was 13 when I starting smoking so I can’t say much and like u I’m super close to my boys. We talk about everything. My oldest boy smoked weed at 13. We talked about why he was doing it and the consequences that could happen. U can tell them no and punish all u want but at the end of the day if he wants to do it he will find a way. I would much rather my son smoke weed then be out drinking or worse. My son decided he was gonna wait tell he was older before doing it again and has kept his word. Best of luck mama

2 Likes

Its good he doesnt lie to you. So maybe tell him how you feel about it and see if theres a way to comprimise. Im not saying be ok with it im saying find a different solution that doesnt involve blazin. But praise him for not lying. And it could be peer pressure also so go essy. Also you sound like a good mom so you got this. You’ll figure out the rite thing to do. Best of luck

5 Likes

I’d ask him why and if he’s only doing it to be “cool” I’d tell him to stop. That it is a medicine not just for fun…but then again he’s going to experiment just makes sure this is where it stops

I know it’s hard I’m raising a grandson hes now 16. And guess what he couldn’t. Or wouldnt listen to me. Or the courts he just spend 90 days in a strick JDC for his summer break hoping this woke him up. With his coucling in there too :broken_heart:

my opinion? you are right, to forbid him, is to force him to become sneaky and lie. he sounds like a smart young man and honest , so be honest with him. let him know that his mind and body is still developing and that weed can and does affect that development. also, i would ask him, why he thinks he needs to smoke weed? if there is a legit medical reason, then i would suggest him seeing a doctor about it. i knew a 14 yr old who smoked weed, he was ADHD and the ritilin that he was supposed to take did not have the positive effect that it should have, but a .5 of weed a day worked wonders. and he did better in school. until he decided that he needed to smoke weed all the time. then the problems started. i speak from experience and i too am a weed smoker. have been for many years. i smoke only a bit to help me sleep, it quiets my mind and it eases the arthritic pain. you are a smart lady, seeking advice, and for being such a caring mom. God bless you. <3

5 Likes

these comments :flushed: … Yeah the CHILD could be doing something worse so by all means lets encourage them to do something detrimental to their health long term :woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::woman_facepalming:t3:

We don’t know where these children are getting this weed from to know if it was laced or not, also if he’ll smoke because of his friends he’ll pop pills/drink/etc because of these friends

Would you encourage a CHILD to smoke cigarettes?!? So why are you encouraging a CHILD to damage their lungs with weed

Sit down with your child and have a frank discussion and be a parent. He doesn’t need you to be his friend. He’s already falling into peer pressure at 13 over weed, what is going to stop him from saying yes to the harder things at 14, 15, 16, etc. when his friends offer it

4 Likes

You say you are super close, so use that. Tell him how you feel about it. I highly disagree with the people saying, “it’s only weed”. But HE’S ONLY 13! His brain is far from being developed and he need all the help he can get to make sure it develops correctly. I agree, though, that you shouldn’t punish him, THIS TIME, since he was totally honest with you. But let hin know tgat it was his honesty that kept him from severe consequences. AND that if there is a repeat of this there will be punishment later.

2 Likes

It’s not like Alc. It stays in your Blood for 10 years. Job loss or not get. Any drugs is bad. Alc will pass but only so much if you get tested. I used to Drug Screen for La.-Pacific Lumber Co in La & East Texas.

Till he was 18 he would not be going any where by himself. He would be on a short leash. Real short.

2 Likes

I always make my case by getting facts. I do some research about why it’s bad and then I approach and talk. I end the conversation with “it’s your choice what you choose to do but I just wanted to make sure you have some information and to make sure you’re not making decisions because you feel peer pressure”. It’s also important to start your conversation calmly.