Would I be wrong to skip my uncles funeral for my daughters baseball game?

I have a tough decision to make. My daughter has her last baseball game of the season on the same day as my uncles funeral. The funeral is 2 hours away so there is no possible way I can attend both. My daughter and my aunt will both be understanding no matter what I choose to do. But I feel guilty missing either one. My dad would take my daughter to her game so either way she will play, she had to make the tough choice also but for her I think it’s better to go to her game and see my family a different time when there isn’t so much emotion (she’s only 10. What would you do?

9 Likes

If my nephew missed my funeral to go to his daughter’s baseball game I’m going to come back and haunt him. She’s 10, you’ve 8 more years to watch her play sports. This is a good life lesson for your daughter as well. Sometimes we have to put our plans/events to the side to be there for people we love. I totally understand you not wanting to take her. You going will teach her a valuable lesson.

20 Likes

How would you feel if it was your funeral or your daughter’s funeral, and others elected to go to a ball game rather than pay respects?

4 Likes

Their will be more games, but you’ll never get to say good bye to your uncle again,

1 Like

Set a good example of the importance of “family” by attending the funeral. There will be many more events in her life.

1 Like

IT’s personal preference. Depends on how close you were with said uncle… if close then go to funeral. You stated your dad would take your daughter to her game… so that’s settled. She’s 10 she doesn’t need to go to a funeral. And there will be more games for you too see. I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

2 Likes

Just my personal opinion, but it doesn’t even sound like a tough decision. Your daughter will have more games next season. A funeral is your chance to not only say your goodbyes but also to show support for your aunt/cousins/mom or dad/ etc…you’d also be showing your daughter that sometimes in life you have to put family above all else.

10 Likes

It depends on how close she was to her Uncle. I don’t attend funerals & my kids won’t either, but some people need the closure

I’m probably the odd one out here, but I would go to the game. I personally have never attended a funeral by choice usually because I don’t feel like I need to be around people or see them in a casket to say goodbye I always wait till they’re buried or cremated and do it alone. But this is something that brings me peace and you need to do whatever best for you

9 Likes

Whenever I couldn’t make it to a funeral I would send flowers and say it’s from my family and I and have it sent to wherever the services may be … or I would send some money to someone close for food or whatever it may be that they need … personally I would be going to the funeral but it’s really how u feel. No one can make u change your mind or guilt trip you into going or not go

You can never say goodbye to your uncle again. There will be other games but just one chance to attend his funeral. Your aunt will need the support of her family as she will be saying goodbye to her husband.

3 Likes

I would choose the funeral. Reason being, I lost both of my parents at a young age… u will be able to attend another baseball game, u will not be able to attend that funeral again and trust me, u will regret not going to the funeral.

2 Likes

Its not really her last game though as a new season will start however it is the last time you will get to say bye to your uncle you’ve said your dad could take her he could probably video parts of it for you i think you probably already know the right thing to do in your heart x

1 Like

I would go to the funeral, your daughter will have family at her game if not then I would go to the game .

1 Like

Definitely say your goodbyes to your uncle. I’m sure you’ve been to plenty games and will be more next season. You only get to say goodbye once. Just ask someone to get videos for you

12 Likes

Funerals suck! I would go to my daughter’s game :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

What the fuck? Are you serious, why is this even a question.

Wow you need to make a choice.

2 Likes

I would go to the funeral this is your last chance to see your unclle

4 Likes

First of all, I’m sorry for your loss. Unpopular opinion here… I would think your uncle would want you to show up for your daughter. His life isn’t gonna be effected either way… but your daughter will remember that you were there at her last game of the year. There will be plenty of people at the funeral paying respect. But that girl is only gonna have a handful of people rooting her on. She will always remember whether or not you were one of them.

16 Likes

If I had to guess, I’d say your uncle wouldn’t want you to miss her last game to go to his funeral

2 Likes

I would Go to the Funeral Ur Daughter is 10 she would Understand And there is always another game u can go and watch… I Know I would Hate myself later on in the life I didn’t get to say my Final goodbyes Etc

1 Like

how close are you with your uncle? im personally going to my child’s game since i don’t talk to any family. if you were close with your uncle then go.

Make memories with the living… Your uncle knows how much you cared for him

7 Likes

Trying to understand why your father is not going to the funeral. I would go to funeral. Actually I think my daughter would miss the last game. Show respect to your family.

2 Likes

I love sports, but I would never allow them to interfere in what truly matters. Going to a funeral is a chance to honor the deceased and reconnect with those still with us and you (and her) missing the funeral for a ball game show them they’re a lower priority.

I would go to the ball game. Funerals are for the living and you can honor your late uncle another way. I’m sorry for your loss.

Imo, you should BOTH attend your uncle’s funeral… But… To each their own.

Very personal choice that only you can truly make. How close were you to the uncle? Will you have regret if you don’t go? will going cause you more emotional grief than going? Will other family struggle with extra grief if you are not there?
Will daughter have others there to support her? Will you bring absent cause her emotional trauma?
Sure there will likely be more games next season, but you can’t know that for sure so would missing this game then having something happen that prevents her from playing next year cause you u forgivable guilt?
You can say goodbye in many other manners so being at the funeral isn’t a must for a goodbye.

1 Like

Go visit family the night before… take your daughter to visit family…give your condolences and regrets …but at least that way both you and your daughter won’t miss out on goodbyes and Consoling your family or moving on with life at the game…everything in balance …why can’t u do.both

1 Like

Honestly, he is already gone and so is the time to say goodbye. Wakes and funerals are more for the families to be supportive and feel loved. What would your uncle want you to do? Enjoy the moment with your daughter and her last game or go to his funeral out of an obligation? Your aunt will have so many people there that it will be emotionally and mentally exhausting. Call your aunt and let her know how much you love her and how much your uncle will be missed and plan to come out after the funeral and have a girls night with her. That’s when she will be alone and need people to help her through

4 Likes

As a tball mom myself… I’d go to the game. Family is important but (sorry to be blunt) your uncles dead he has no feelings anymore. Your daughter on the other hand does. I wouldn’t miss my kids game unless it was absolutely necessary and sorry but a funeral (unless it was a sibling or parent of mine) isn’t a necessity to go to.

1 Like

I would go to the visitation and pay respects say goodbye and be with my daughter on her last game …

1 Like

omg, be with your daughter and skip the funeral, send flowers! if that were me lying in that coffin that would be my opinion… go to visit the “living”!

Maybe you can do the viewing and then make it to the game or have a friend go for you and stream it to you or put you on video to see her. Idk, I’d probably go to my kids game, I’d sit and visit with my uncle after and take flowers to the grave, that’s me though, you do what is best for you, your family sounds very understanding that’s nice to have support on either decision.

Am I reading this right ? You want to go to a game and not your uncle funeral ? If I was your Aunt I would totally disown you. So sad that a game is more important than family

There are only a few people I’d show up in person to their funeral. Otherwise I’d go to the game and say goodbye spiritually. No different in the end :man_shrugging: I’m not one into some traditional things like most. The person is already gone, what’s seeing their dead body going to change? (I get the thoughts behind it, so stay calm lol).

There will be more baseball games. Go to the funeral.

1 Like

You don’t need to attend a funeral to say your good byes to someone. Go to the game.

I’m going to my child game