When should you get a toddler a tablet?

Sooo kinda thinking about getting my 3 year old a tablet…. But I’m wondering how old is an appropriate time to get a child a tablet, and if so are there tablets for learning and if so does it help with speech, abc, 123 and such… thank you

4 Likes

I would say never :woman_shrugging:t2: kids should be outside. Or learning how to play with their imagination. But that’s just my opinion.

8 Likes

I’ve only just bought my 7 and 8yos iPads this year. And that’s mostly because they needed them for school.

1 Like

You can buy an Amazon fire kids tablet. It has limits you can set. From do x amount of learning apps before personal choice apps the child likes etc.

You can put books and tons of educational apps.

1 Like

We have the Amazon kid tablets and my kids love them. They have a bunch of learning games, videos, books, some audibles too.

Both my kids are fine too. They play outside, with their toys, my oldest gets so many awards from school I’ve run out of wall space :joy: I don’t do screen time and I’ve never had an issue.

It’s 2023. Not 1994. Kids need to be familiar with technology and let’s be real, kids can’t play outside like we used to because it’s 10x more dangerous.

3 Likes

My 2.5 year old has had 1 since he was 1. Big sissy bought it for him. It was only used for like long car rides, out to dinner an grocery trips. A few months ago his grandma bought him a new one (bigger scream) an he would flip out if it died,didn’t have internet or when we took it away. Well he broke that one am we had to go back to the smaller one. He’s not on it as much anymore an if we go out he refuses it :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_facepalming:t3::joy: make sure to get one where you can set parental controls an limit it so he gets use to that. I wish I would of :woman_facepalming:t3:

Whenever you feel like it. My youngest was using one from a really young age… my oldest two were a bit older - as didn’t get one till that point. It was used for various things. Homework, music, tv… my youngest would use mine for colouring, creating stories, maths, phonics - all from a young age. As long as it’s balanced I don’t see the issue

Both of mine have had one since before 1 year old if I’m honest! Don’t care what prim proper mums say about it it’s not stopped them from learner it’s not delayed them. If anything it’s shown them so much! They play games, they watch learning videos and even watch normal YouTube (whatever they like, cartoon wise or my eldest she watches children doing gymnastics etc)

5 Likes

My son is about to be 4 and he is currently in speech therapy and doing well. He has yet to own a tablet/iPad/phone/switch. Will he watch tv and grandparents let him use the phone absolutely. I personally feel like kids these days are being sucked into technology, dependent on it and also exposed to so much. There’s many tiktoks and things you can watch to do teach your kids different ways of learning. Ultimately you are the parent and you decide what you will and won’t allow.

2 Likes

I have the Amazon kid tablet number 7 but honestly I feel like I wasted money and could of just used my money for a regular Amazon tablet pretty much the same since on Amazon you could set up for parental control

1 Like

My 3 year old has one. Honestly he chooses toys over it lol.

2 Likes

I got my child the Amazon Fire Kids Tablet. She loves it, but it’s always downloading new apps, so I’m constantly cleaning it out because of storage. It was a Xmas present, and had just turned 3 the same month!!

I got my then 6 y/o an iPad mini connected to my phone plan. I got her an Apple Pencil for her 7th birthday & she loves it. I think she’s on it way too much tho. It revolves around her iPad when she plays, goes to school, or traveling. I should’ve waited a few more years.

With my 3 sons now ages 15, 13 and 12 they never had one. My 8 year old daughter ended up with one from her dad’s parents when she was smaller and I can tell you from experiencing both, don’t do it. Electronics is the worst because many choose it over being a kid, using imagination, getting dirty and playing.

2 Likes

My kids are 16 and 14 and I regret the day I gave them electronics. I would recommend to anyone that asked ever to wait as long as possible

5 Likes

Honestly I’m completely against my son having a tablet. People will tell you they learn so much but parental controls only go so far. Inappropriate things sneak in even on YouTube kids. Plus theyre addicting and can cause behavioral issues. As far as learning goes my son knew his abcs and colors before his 2nd birthday. You can teach your child through books, puzzles and physical games. Ultimately it’s up to you as the parent to weigh the pros and cons. I know I’m the minority in how I feel about it.

4 Likes

My son got a tablet for his 1st birthday. We used it very little at first but now hes 3 and he uses it alot. He knows his abc’s, 123’s, shapes, colors, and he can carry a real conversation with you. We downloaded lots of educational games and he loves them. We have the amazon fire kids tablet. I can set it for time limits, learining limits, etc. Its great.

Personally, we did not. I would say when they are old enough to responsibly take care of their own devices.
Less screen time the better!
Best learning is through reading, engagement, and play.

8 Likes

I gave my daughter her tablet at 2 and she actually has learned quite a bit

You can do all that yourself. If your child is having speech problems than you should see a speech therapist for it not a tablet. Personally I don’t think kids that young should have tablets. They need to interact with other children and adults because that is the age they learn their social skills.

Worst thing I ever done. Mine are now school aged, if I could go back they would not have them nor attend a school that required them.

4 Likes

I got my daughter one for her 2nd bday but she only has it in the car. I have controls on it and she has a color game and ABC/123 game and a couple of her cartoons on it.

We had the fire tablets. They’re cool. But after the first year you’re paying a fee. Does anyone know how to take the Amazon kids thing off? How can you make it more like an android?

My advise is to buy her a prepaid phone. Don’t put service on it. Just use it as a tablet. Both my kids have preferred it.

When ever you want. Your kid, your choice.

1 Like

Mine are 4, 3 and 2 and I don’t really plan on getting them one till school requires it.

I wouldn’t give one. To young, they need active play, engagement and hands on learning

2 Likes

Honestly, just don’t. They’ll be better off without it.

2 Likes

Yes my daughter has learnt so much ,colours ,numbers

1 Like

I wouldn’t at all personally.

2 Likes

3 is a perfect age to get her one , a tablet is not the problem , the problem is when they use it without any control bee es cause their mom use them as babysitter.
Just make sure to have parental control , limited time to use and a lot of learning games .
I babysit a boy who is two and he learned the ABC ( not just saying, he recognizes all the letters in random order ) same with the numbers , he can count until a 100 , he knows all the colors , geometry figures , can do simple math ( add and take away) know synonyms and antonyms and he can also read , he learned everything using the tablet

Everyone is different in their parenting strategy and everyone’s kids are different in how they handle technology. There is no right and wrong with a tablet, and don’t let anyone shame you for choosing to give your child one.

We have a Kindle fire kids and I rigged it to the Google play store because the Amazon store is complete BS.
I have Bimi Boo learning games on it for the kids and they love it. I do feel those games are definitely educational.
We limit to 1 hour a week on the tablet and it’s more so to give me a mental break as a SAHM working full time as well.

Technically never is a good time. Research has shown that screen use has a negative impact on brain development, wiring children to be more susceptible to having behavioural issues, depression, sleep issues, lack of imagination to the point that they mimic what they’ve seen rather than having original thoughts or feelings, and lack of patience or inability to handle boredom (this can look like only playing with an open play toy for a few min before jumping to the next one, or constant whining) due to the overstimulation of their dopamine receptors. It also leads to screen addiction since it’s such an easy hit of dopamine for the brain to get.

1 Like

My youngest got his at 2. I got the Amazon fire kids tablet and it really helped with ABCs and numbers.

You may want to watch, ‘A False Reality’ in It’s entirety. It should help you make an informed decision.

Your answer is in your questions… The part you said " 3"… No way a 3 year needs a tablet that age let them play make friends .learn to share and best of all he/She can learn more about life coming from their parents

3 Likes

Whichever tablet you choose get a good case for it! Kids are clumsy hahaha.
Don’t listen to the parents telling you your babe is too young. Do what’s best for your family. It’s up to you and only you.

I got my kids tablets and they didn’t even last a year and that’s with them having cases.
I got them each a cheap smartphone and put kids youtube on it and a few learning games and they lasted way longer and were way cheaper too. Plus my kids stopped trying to take my phone lol their phones didn’t have minutes or any communication apps on it.

I let my 2-3 year old use my tablet, for adventure academy learning games, she’s got the subscription. Honestly it’s helped her a lot, but we also do leapfrog learning books along side it so she’s not on the tablet too much. An hour or two a day, max, then she’s onto something else. Everyone acts like tablets are all or nothing with kids, because they don’t want the hassle of moderating it. It’s better for them if you do. Make them go outside too.

People like to think they can be used for learning but not exactly the case.

My kiddo has had one since he was two.