What should I do?

Just found out I’m pregnant! But I work part-time and am in part-time college, and have a preschooler. With my hours, I won’t qualify for maternity leave, but I’ll get parental leave. Last pregnancy I took sick leave too as my sciatic was so bad I couldn’t walk and most of me was swollen. I’m not sure what to do this time, do I go back to work and pick up more shifts, which takes time away from my education? Do I just apply for a loan and do school when baby is born… Advice please!

4 Likes

Do you have fmla? That will cover maternity leave but it won’t be paid.

I would see if schooling can be done online. I’m a single mom of 3 kids with a full time job and did all my schooling online. It’s hard but it can be done!

6 Likes

Do you have FMLA? They might pay you some. I got paid my entire salary the entire time I was on FMLA plus my commission. So it is possible that some companies will pay you for it!

1 Like

Do schooling online and have husband look after you

You realistically don’t need as much time for school as you think. :sweat_smile:

Can you apply for some sort of unemployment government assistance or is there any programs that fund you while in school? If not you could work 8-4/9-5 and do schooling when your child is in bed. I worked full time, raised 3 kids with behavioural problems (one autism, 2 adhd) and did my college courses online. It was tiring but it had to be done

1 Like

If you’re in the US I just looked it up and if you work 24 hours a week for a year you are eligible for maternity leaveMaternity Leave for Part-time and Contract Workers
If you’ve worked 24 hours a week for at least a year, as a part-time worker, you are eligible for the same benefits as full-timers.Apr 23, 2023
https://www.familyeducation.com › …
A Guide to Maternity Leave Laws by State: Know Your Rights

1 Like

This is depressing. America is depressing.

2 Likes