What is it like dating someone 13 years older than you?

I would love advice from people who have experienced dating someone far older. I’ve been talking to someone who is 13 years older than me for a couple months. He is absolutely amazing to me in many ways. He will literally text me from the time I wake up till the time I go to sleep and push everything aside to put his time into me. When I ask for something right away he wants to take care of me. He says he’s crazy in love with me & I love him too. He really has given me that love that I’ve been missing. I’ve never been in a relationship with a man much older so I dont know what to expect and what can go along with it. What do you ladies advise?

10 Likes

You do you. Just remember, older doesn’t mean mature. I fell into that trap. My ex-husband was 17.5 years older than me. Worst mistake of my life.

13 Likes

I once had a man 15 years older. Treated me and kids great for first six months. Then started getting crazy jealous and following me around when I was with friends. I caught him once across the street in a parking lot watching me thru binoculars. One day he called me 150 times. Took a ladder to my house and climbed to second story window to see if I was really in my bed. Had to get police involved. Anyone can be crazy. Talk to his friends and get there opinion of him. Relatives, kids, ex’s get all there opinions and trust your instincts. Good luck!

2 Likes

You do you. You will know what is right. Age doesn’t really matter, it’s how they treat you. If he treats you good as you say, then why not go for it. The only way you will know is by actually seeing the person in person. Literally talking doesn’t always work. But seeing each other in person you will eventually get to know who they are and there true colors. Good luck.

It’s not about the actual age gap… it’s are you at the same levels of life. My first question is, how old are YOU?? If you’re 24 or older I say go for it. But if you are under 21 you are not at the next level of life to have anything in balance with a 34 year old. Just my opinion :woman_shrugging: based off life experience and interactions.

3 Likes

I’m 30 and my husband is 42… we click and have an amazing relationship. I’m an old soul and tend to gravitate towards older individuals then my own age group though. But as long as everyone is of legal age I say go for it! Older men also tend to also be way more experienced :wink: :joy:

1 Like

By your post you talk about "talking and texting " a lot. Have you actually met in person?

2 Likes

My daughters husband is 13 years older than her. She is 34 now and he turns 49 in August.
They have been married for 10 years this year and have giving me two grandsons that are the loves of my life.
He grounds her and is a wonderful father, husband, and son-in-law.

So, if this man treats you with respect and truly loves you then go for this relationship.

Best wishes!!

2 Likes

There is a 12 year age gap between my fiancé and me. I love it. It can be a little awkward when start comparing what he was doing at high school and what I was doing in kindergarten or before that, but we laugh it off. As long as the relationship works age doesn’t matter (as long as both are consisting adults).

My only “warning” would be to be prepared for the generation gap. He does some things different and thinks about things differently than I do because he is older and he has a different mind set because we came from two different income brackets and raisings.

As long as y’all are both happy go for it

I was married for 33 years to a man 23 years older than me… 13 years is nothing. My boyfriend now is 6 years younger…lol

I was married to a man 2 years older than me for less than 2 years. Me and my now fiancé got together when I left my ex husband. My fiancé is 13.5 years older than me and it is the most happy, healthy, loving, safe relationship I could have asked for. As long as you are both consenting adults, age shouldn’t matter.

Don’t make it about the age difference… make it about how he treats you. That’s all that’s important.

3 Likes

I’m 34 and my boyfriend is 46 and our relationship is great! We have alot in common, same love for music, love being outdoors, love being on the water fishing, and he loves my 12 year old son and treats him like he’s his own! He also has 4 other kids from a previous marriage! If you and this guy click and you both really like each other go for it!!! In my eyes I’ve always said age is a number! I have always dated guys older then me… alot older then me! The 1 relationship where the guy was around my age sucked… he just wanted to play video games

My husband and I are 14 years apart.
I can’t say we don’t occasionally bump heads because of our age gap. It’s inevitable. Age, honestly isn’t that big of a deal. You’ll both have to accept your age gap and that some things won’t be the same with this person vs someone your age.

2 Likes

I would not be concerned about the age difference as I would be about a man that loves you and never met. I would be cautious, sounds a little possessive.

2 Likes

I say go for it I am 50 an my Hubby is 61 an he treats me like a woman should be treated MINE treats me like yours

I am 56 and my husband is now 70 we mgot together when oi was 32 and he was 46, it’s been great from the very beginning he has treated me well , after 2 years we got married and will be married 20 years in July, best thing that has ever happened to me , , we he has always been my everything.

1 Like

I was 23 dating a man that was 39, and he was the kindest most gentle soul, however not all men are that way. I say take your time and go for it.

I have been married for 39 years and he is thirteen years older than me and still together and happily married it just what you make out of your marriage would not change anything

My husband is 12.5 years older than me. Met him when I was 18 and he was 31. We’ve been together 8 years now. Honestly loving an older man who’s outta that childish phase is amazing…

I dated someone 9 years older than me and I was only 15 at the time. Worst time of my life he put me through so much shit at that young of an age

Try 30 years and two days different we’re going strong and as happy as either of us has ever been

1 Like

After all parties concerned are past the age of consent it is about finding someone who has a safe and compatible psychological platform, soul attraction doesnt hurt either

Hey from my experience it was wonderful! I loved him and he loved me. I buried him and I was broken. But I wouldn’t change a day!!! Go with your heart.

The age gap will get more pronounced as time goes on be prepared :hugs:

2 Likes

Nope I would never do it again.

Me and my husband have been married 23 years he is now 61 and i am 45 has worked great for us

Worked for me! There’s 13 years between me and my Husband, met when I was 26 and he was 39, been together 17 years and married 15 years later this month and have 2 beautiful children together. We’ve had our moments but still happy all these years later! Be happy xx

My husband is 13 yrs older than me… he was 56 when we married… he’s 75 now….I’m gonna be 62 May 20th…married 18 yrs…

As long as you’re a legal consenting adult, don’t even think of the age difference!! Make sure you treat each other right and keep that at the forefront and don’t ever listen to the negativity from the outsiders about the gap.

Doesnt mean hes more mature.
Just be careful!
They come with the same crap as the ones your age.

Hopefully he is more mature than men your age lol!

I’m 41 my partner is 53 been together 14 years it either works or it doesn’t like every relationship x

The older you are, the less age matters. The younger you are, the creepier it gets.

Age dosent matter, who the person is what matters,

Take your time and Do you. Mine is 7 yrs older

So long as he treats you right age is not an issue

Enjoy it. Take it one day at a time

Who cares what others say, if you are in love and he treats you well , that’s all that matters. ( This is what most people will say )

In my opinion the age gap is not the problem, but yours guys age might be,

Being 20 - 33 is not the same that being 35-48

In the first picture you guys are practically on the same stage in live , the second picture is a total different story, some one who is 48 is probable settle down, have kids , grandkids, a career, have lived a lot of experience etc . The one who is 35 might be probably looking to do and experience the stuff the other one already lived, and this can cause a lot of issues in the long run.

I do not know if I make sence at all

Be careful that all that love bombing attention isn’t grooming you to be controlled and isolated. Hang on tightly to friends and family.

1 Like

Talking to…so have you met him in person, how old are you…not enough info…sounds like your looking for a sugar daddy…:thinking:…do either one of you have kids…:thinking:

You have only talking to you and he is in love with you after texting all day. Make sure first he isnt married with another family.

1 Like

My husband is 14 years older than me, I think it’s a huge difference when one is young like 20ish and the other in their 30s as opposed to us, we met after horrible prior divorces and were 30/43… we have been married going on 8 years, 3 kids and he truly is the best thing to ever happen to me! He is amazing and treats me and our children great. He loves us, works hard, takes care of us and I couldn’t ask for more. He is former military so he’s super driven and runs circles around me sometimes lol we are a perfect match, soulmates, wish we would’ve found each other sooner so I could have loved him longer, but life happened and brought us to where we were when we met and that’s probably why we appreciate each other so much and truly love and respect each other. I finally found my happily ever after with him. I was once married to someone wayyy older than me, it was awful and to be honest I only married him to run away from my current situation. That was many years ago and I wish I could go back and change things…. But I think 13/14 years is perfectly acceptable. Besides all that matters is that you are happy. I sure am and I am very blessed!

Me and mine are 13 years apart I’m 24 and he’s great everyone I ever dated that was in my age range was just never on the same page/level as me I had 3 kids and a full time job I was basically far more grown spiritually then your average 20 year olds. We now have a baby together but I couldn’t imagine life without him he’s great with all the kids, he loves to do stuff for them and for me and makes me feel great inside and gives me compliments and age isn’t even a factor there they heart wants what it wants. And I’ve never had any one question it nor do I care what they have to say we work and we work well together and for that I’m great full for.

Hmm idk. I’ve been down this road a couple of times and the amazing treatment has always turned into possessive, controlling behavior over time. I’d tread carefully and keep my eyes wide open.

I love that my husband is older . If you are a adult it shouldn’t matter.

My husband is 11 yrs older than me and we are going on 15 yrs together

It’s not a big deal - if you love one another . My sisters husband is about 13 years older than her . It’s just fine