Should I let my spouse name our child Zelda?

Any mamas let their s/o choose the baby name? My s/o wants our baby to be named Zelda if it’s a girl, and I’m not so sure about it and the people he has told has been like “DO NOT LET HIM NAME IT THAT” and I’m like I’m not crazy about it but it’s so important to him that I feel he should if it’s a girl.

21 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Should I let my spouse name our child Zelda?

His say is just as important as yours. He takes the first name and you pick the middle name. You’re not letting him do anything. It’s not all your say. He definitely gets to help name the kid. :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

LOL…
Let him?? It should be a mutual decision! If you don’t like it, try coming up with something you both agree on!

8 Likes

I would never name my kid a name I didn’t like just because their dad did. We’d have to agree on something else. With that being said, I would never name my kid Zelda either. Maybe for a pet or something, not a baby.

4 Likes

Remember that Zelda does not originate from a video game

6 Likes

When you say her name act likes she’s graduating from college. Announce it like they will then. Does it sound right, good, distinctive or odd. That how we did our kids.

3 Likes

Zelda is German origin meaning “Gray Fighting Maid” It is also Yiddish feminine form Selig meaning " blessed", " happy". It has a good meaning. You both can agree. God bless and good luck.

4 Likes

Do it!! My girls all 3 are named after video game characters. If we were to have a 4th she’d be named Zelda! It’s such a pretty name too. Also Robin Williams daughters name is Zelda!

3 Likes

It could be her nickname or middle name. I wouldn’t have it as her first name.

2 Likes

Love that name !! Stop letting other people tell you not to “let him” . It’s should be mutual :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think naming your child should be a mutually decision. You don’t arguments down the road. Keep in mind how it will go over as an adult and how older kids will respond to it because they can be harsh sometimes.

3 Likes

I think Zelda is pretty.
I do however think that you both should agree :+1:

3 Likes

If it’s important use it as a middle name

3 Likes

Mine and my daughters Dad agreed that if the baby was a boy he would chose the name and if the baby was a girl I’d chose it. Obviously, we had a girl. He hated the names I chose (Presley or Lola Rae) so we talked a few other over and both compromised and picked one we both liked (Lydia Elizabeth Ada) which everyone including my almost 16 year who actually told me if she had been called Presley she would have changed her name ASAP, so sometimes guys can have pretty good input :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted Anastasia everyone told my ex dont let her it was the only name he liked. Just like I gave my kids 2 middle names and ppl had a fit but I didn’t care. im like 1 they aint pushing out this baby they don’t get a say just the 2 who made them. If you agree screw what others say. Think bout how you feel about the name and compromise with him.

Do not listen to other people when it comes to naming your baby. Talk to your spouse about why you aren’t crazy about it, you’ll figure it out.

1 Like

My ex husband and I had said first boy he would get to name and first girl I would then after that the other would name the baby lol. We only had 2 though and that was 1 of each… I wasn’t too crazy about my sons name at first tbh but I kept to my word. With my husband I’m married to now, he named our son. I pretty much gave him free reign to pick the name completely. :slightly_smiling_face:

I know a couple that …if it was a girl, Mom names -Boy, Dad names -continued like that & have multiple kids !!!
I like Zelda (have a cute nickname too )
It would be awesome for both of you to agree !!! Best Wishes as you decide.

My husband named both our girl and boy I didn’t care as long as it wasn’t a off the wall name and that I got to pick the middle name out. We have a Dominic Dean and AdaLynn Nicole

Y’all should sit down and have a discussion about the name. Don’t announce it anymore until y’all are set on it. Sometimes names can grow on you but also you need to make sure y’all are thinking about her future not just her as a baby.
How do you think teenage her would feel about the name or young adult her.
If you do decide that’s her name maybe counter it with a more simple middle name. That way she can at least decide which name she’d like to go by and if she absolutely doesn’t like her name when she gets older she may decide to change it.
Also if she ever ask why y’all named her Zelda be ready to tell her.
Don’t worry about what others think of the name as well, just make sure both you and your husband like her full name.

I have a great aunt Zelda and she’s wonderful!

1 Like

It should be a mutual agreement. I’m not sure on his intentions on the name but if it is something important, a compromise would be making it a middle name.

3 Likes

I like Zelda for a girl. I would be worried about it for a boy though

1 Like

I mean, I cannot advise lol most of my kids are named after cartoon characters/comic book characters/Harry Potter character…

It’s from Great Gatsby. I like the name personally.

It’s more than a video game. It isn’t the main character hero of the game either.

Zelda is the princess. It would be like being named Ariel or Aurora though.

I see both sides but I think Zelda has an edge over the other “pop culture” names simply because of its connections to literature.

It isn’t pure literature… like Josephine for example… but it IS connected to the classics so… okay

Zelda is the witch with the 2 aunties give her a pretty name

1 Like

Zelda is pretty…the can call her Zel for short, nothing wrong with name

My ex named my son. The way I see it is its not just ur baby. Its his as well so both u and him have equal say in what the baby will b named.

1 Like

Why not? Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda? I think it’s cute.

1 Like

I think that’s awesome! My ex named my son Ronan :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If you like the name as well then go with it and pick a middle name.

Look up the name and try it out. My kids are named after my favourite movies.

My 1st is named after Divergent and my 2nd after How To Train Your Dragon. My 3rd will be after Sons of Anarchy.

It’s a pretty name, and I’d assume he got it from the Legend of Zelda series which just makes it cooler that he wants to use it. Lol
Robin Williams daughter is named Zelda, by the way. It’s not that out there of a name.

What name do you like? It’s not all your say but it’s definitely not all his either.
So, take the name he likes & the name you like & throw them out the window lol
Start all over. There has to be a name you both love! :crossed_fingers:

Yes absolutely! I love that name!! Go with original!

Yes Zelda is a beautiful name. It was my grandmas name

You both should like the name. Could be a middle name. But honestly I’m a weirdo and wouldn’t be against the name at all.

Yeah it’s not the best but you can call her Zel.

Zelda is is different and unique! Zella or Zelly could be nick name :purple_heart:

I know someone who just named her baby that & I think it’s cute & different.

My ex wanted to name our son palpatine… from star wars… that was never going to happen

My husband wanted to name our youngest Zendaya…her name is Isabella :laughing:

I think thats cool. My boys are named after a video game sooooo :woman_shrugging::heart:

I like it… It’s also the name of Robin Williams daughter

Yess. Me and my fiancé named our son Link.

My 50 something friends name is Zelda

I think it’s cute. If you don’t like it for the first name maybe for the middle name?

I think both of you should decide

I love thr name Zelda :woman_shrugging:

It should be a mutual agreement.

Choose a name you both like.

Or If it’s really important to him and you don’t absolutely detest it, name her Zelda and give her a middle name you like. When she’s older she can decide if she likes going be her first or her middle name I know tons of people who go by their middle name :woman_shrugging:t2::heart:

1 Like

Yes I agreed with first and I chose the middle names well my oldest of 3 my aunt kinda helped there I agreed with her sense couldn’t figure out middle and it suit her.

Zelda Fitzgerald is who the character is named after. It’s also a long standing name outside of video games

1 Like

If you don’t like the name don’t do it. You’re the 1 suffering through pregnancy, birth & most like 99% of everything related to this child forever. You should at least be happy with her name.

Plus think about the child. She will be bullied awful with the name Zelda. Why does your husband want to do that to her?

I think of Pet Cemetery and the sister named Zelda not the video game

2 Likes

I have a Mexican son named Timothy. Zelda ia beautiful… I named our daughter with the middle name of Elora… iykyk…
Please don’t refer to child as latin x, it is disrespectful.

Omg it’s as bad as my bf wanting to name a boy Clifford :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: please spare ur child the embarrassment lol.

Zelda is a pretty name. Only do it if you like it too though.

My husband named our son Kakorot (middle name) so why not

Hell no ! You r the one having the baby.

Reminds me of Aunt Zelda Spellman!

But I love the name Zelda and you can really put a good middle name with it … I reckon if I was able to have another I’d probably go with a character name to .When I had my first he originally was going to be named Thomas James (after the characters of Thomas the tank engine lol and James is a family middle name) but we ended up with Corey James instead with my second I went with Joshua Lee (Joshua from the bible was going to church alot at the time & Lee is dads middle name so used that) my girls my first girl is named Annalesia Jane (the Annalesia is from my favourite Barbie movie the princess and pauper one and Jane again family name) however my youngest girl is called Rayven Storm (Rayven after Raven in teen titans and the 100 tv show and Storm being my favourite character from X-Men). I personally love different names and wish I had more uncommon names for my first two boys…

I think it’s cute as hell!!

My cousin named his daughter Zelda and she’s cool as hell. In fairness she hasn’t started school or anything yet cause she’s only 3

I know a few with that name I love it

No. Don’t do that. Mom gets final say.

My vote would be no but depends if you like it

I don’t hate it, and I see no negative impacts as an adult, plus kids won’t be able to rhyme it with anything nasty lol.

Naming your baby is a decision between you and him … it shouldn’t be influenced by other people

What do you mean by let him ??

1 Like

Would you hire a Zelda haha. Think about adult life when picking a name.

Oooo I’d love to meet a Zelda :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I mean if your ok with it :person_shrugging:?

I think it’s cute but you both need to like the name

If you guys want it, do it. My son has a friend named Zelda and she’s the sweetest little girl. People just don’t want it bc it’s a video game name. But ultimately it’s not other peoples choice lol.

2 Likes

Love the name Zelda it’s so cute. Defo has to be mutual agreement. My partner and I agreed on Both our sons names, we have Zack and Leo. There’s was names I liked and he didn’t and vice Versa but eventually we agreed on ones we like together .

My daughter was named after a DnD WIZARD. I absolutely love her name and it fits her personality so well. I can’t imagine calling her something different. She fits her name perfectly and I’m so happy we went for it. (Besides ppl pronounce it wrong and assuming her gender, which I hope will change in time) but I say go for Zelda. It’s a beautiful name and you cam call her “Z” for short which is also adorable. But you both are the only ones who after in picking your child’s name. Forget what anyone else’s issues are. Zelda is beautiful and sounds strong and warriorish

1 Like

If he really loves that name you choose a pretty middle name. I let my husband choose our daughters middle name. I instantly hated it and even looked into changing it. She’s 6 now and rarely do I use her middle name. If you don’t at least like it, don’t do it.

Are you part of a culture where that name
Is normal? Or is he literally naming the child after his favourite childhood game?
Why is it sooo important to him? It seems kind of mean on his part however this generation literally
Has the most weird names ever so maybe it won’t even be a thing. To anyone in her age group

Either way your gonna have to have an answer for that?
I’d say no. If my ex can say I can’t give my girls flower names then you can say pick another one.

Are you mental? If you don’t care then why are you telling people your business?? No one is ever going to be like oh yeah great name. I have had 5 kids and not once ever shared what names I was thinking about because other people’s opinion mean nothing. Or they make you thinking that your doing something wrong but It’s your little one your family so if you have a family of Zelda, Ash , Luigi and Ang that’s your business. You can name your child a name that means something to you both. People have named kids after poets, musicians characters and artists forever so stop overthinking and over sharing.

Well MAYBE as a COMPROMISE you could put that as a middle name instead that way hubby still feels happy about it & at same time itll make for smoother sailing esp in the school years bcuz we all KNOW how theres bullies etc in every crowd!

Zelda is a cute name but it’s something you both need to be able to agree on

I think people should stop letting people who are NOT the parents have so much influence in picking their child(ren)'s name. Pick a name that YOU are happy with for YOUR baby, because not everyone is going to like your name regardless of what it is

The people he has told, it’s not their baby it’s yours. I love the name.

Robin Willimas named his daughter Zelda.

It’s up to you and him what you name your baby don’t let others sway your decision

children are not billboards for your fandoms

Zelda is such a pretty name. Robin Williams knew it too.

Nope. Nope. Nope.
My mom knew a Zelda…
What a biatch.

Maybe use it as a middle name?