Should family be paid to babysit?

My grandma (62) watches my son (5) for 2-4 hours 3 days a week while I work, and she DEMANDS I pay her $65/week, and it makes me livid…add on Also he is not a hard child to watch. He’s the calmest, most independent child I’ve ever known honestly. He doesn’t throw tantrums or run around screaming. He’s very well behaved.

514 Likes

That’s cheap. Pay them

3 Likes

Yes…it’s your responsibility for child care

3 Likes

Of course pay her. You would pay someone else. How cheap you are. Just cause she’s family and she a old lady doesn’t mean she can for free lol.

11 Likes

Ok. Is it right? No. Is it fair? Yes. I would pay her but she shouldnt demand. It’s something you should do regardless

3 Likes

How much do you think you’d pay a day care or someone else to watch your kid? That’s like 5 bucks an hour you’re paying just pay the lady.

2 Likes

Don’t build a wedge between y’all. Find another sitter before this ends bad. Emotions can strain relationships.

2 Likes

While it’s frustrating and most parents do watch their grandchildren for free, they are still intitled to be paid for prov the service if asked.

62 is kind of old to be watching a 5 year old and kids can act different around different people. She’s your grandma lol, you can’t pay her $5 an hour to watch your kid?

2 Likes

65$ is very reasonable

Yes you need pay gma! She feeds him, cares for him while you work and 65 is cheap!!

1 Like

Yeah. She’s old. She may want to but sometimes it can become exhausting. I’d pay my old nan if she was doing me a favour every week.

Why should she babysit your kid for free???

4 Likes

Take them to day care and it would be more than that.If you aint happy change.They done raised their kids.not their respinsibilty to raise yours.Pay them!!

6 Likes

Yes you should pay her
It doesn’t matter how easy you say your child is to watch she still 65 watching him. pay her the money that she’s asking that’s not a lot

4 Likes

You shouldn’t expect anyone to babysit for you for free, family or not…

5 Likes

Yes, you need to pay her

Yes that’s way less expensive than a daycare, and her time is worth something.

I pay our cousin who also has a baby two months older then my son 10 a day to watch him.

Would you work for free don’t matter that she is grandma pay her

2 Likes

Holy Entitlement, Batman.

18 Likes

No matter how well he is behaved, other than you the mother and the father should have to watch your child for free! If that child was to go to day care it would be houndreds every month respect your grandma and pay her or find someone else.

3 Likes

Please pay your grandma. I’m a stay at home mom and I feel taken advantage of when people constantly ask me to babysit for free. My time is valuable.

15 Likes

you should keep in mind that that is a very cheap price for babysitting. Most elderly people live off of a fixed income, and although your child is calm and very independent, it is still a lot of work for someone of their age/ physical health. Be kind to her, she is helping you out, and you never know, that $65 might be groceries or a light bill.

14 Likes

One should pay anyone who watches their child or children. Regardless, of who they are. It’s really not anyone’s responsibility but a parents to care for their own children. Things could be much more expensive.

1 Like

I think family should be paid, especially if shes watching your kid three days a week 2-4 hours a day

1 Like

Uhm yes. Especially if she’s providing food and/diapers. You still have to pay a day care for “easy kids” soooo

I use to pay my mom 100 a week it helps to pay them

That’s less than $5.50 an hour VERY reasonable!

3 Likes

Well you could compare it to daycare, the one my son was at was 59$ a day including food. So half day is 39. (4hours) times that by 3 days that’s 117$ for what shes doing. Your getting a deal trust me.

1 Like

65 bucks is cheap! Family or not they are doing you a favor and if they want to get paid then pay them!

3 Likes

I would feel awful if my grandma watched my kid on a weekly basis and I paid her nothing.

4 Likes

My mom and my grandma would babysit for free, but I wouldn’t let them. Kids are hard work! :slightly_smiling_face: I think you should pay her, but you could probably find someone cheaper lol.

1 Like

Wow yes . It’s your child not hers. Childcare while you work is your responsibility. That’s super cheap. That’s like $5 bucks per hour.

2 Likes

Absolutely. You’re working and so is she. Pay her!

5 Likes

If someone is watching your child you should pay. However, when I am watching a family member I don’t take their money.

6 Likes

Then go take him some place else. You will be paying 2-3 times as much

1 Like

Maybe she is in need of this 65$ per week. It’s maybe not relate to your kids.

:thinking::clap:Ain’t :clap:nothing​:clap:free

9 Likes

Lets say she watches him for 4 hrs 3 times a week. Thats a total of 12 hours. Divide that by $65 thats less that $6 and hr. PAY HER AND STOP BEING CHEAP. Not all family asks to be paid but if they do dont be selfish. Still cheaper than child care.

3 Likes

It’s the least you could do

4 Likes

U gotta pay someone may as well be a family member u trust. That my dear is priceless

8 Likes

If she doesn’t want to she doesn’t have to. She doesn’t owe you anything nor did she have the child. It’s your child so pay her or another sitter.

9 Likes

I used to pay my mom for looking after my kids. But the other grandma I never paid even a cent

1 Like

My mother refuses money to watch my daughter but the point is I offer it I don’t just assume that because their families they should watch her for free you should be very thankful that you’re paying such a low price because real child care is much more expensive

10 Likes

It cost me money to feed a child. Pay her. I would.

Yes you should pay her lol :joy: she is way cheaper than daycare and you can trust her. I don’t understand why that makes you upset 🤷 I would be great full.

2 Likes

I have to pay my mom 100 a week…and they sleep 90% of the time because I work midnights…

2 Likes

I pay my aunt to watch 2 of my boys, she uses her gas/time/food to care for them, I can’t afford a lot so we came up with a small price but it helps her out. When you’re retired you have to get by on next to nothing so it helps me and helps her. Just because it’s family doesn’t mean we can take advantage of them and expect it to be for free. If it was once in a while I wouldn’t charge but if it’s like a part time job for me then yes I would charge.

2 Likes

I paid my mom to babysit she watched my daughter from 8 weeks till 8 years old… I loved not having to leave her with strangers

Pay for your own child care elsewhere then!!!

2 Likes

Granny is doing you a solid. Pay her. You might even consider thanking her for helping you.

3 Likes

Pay her, or pay her bills or buy her groceries. It’s called being grateful. Jesus do you even have to ask?

4 Likes

I always babysit for my family for free. It’s what family does I would never ask my sister to pay me to babysit her kids I love them …

5 Likes

Is that her child? Yes you should be paying her! $65 is a Dagum steal!

3 Likes

My mom babysits for free but the money is probably for food for him. I repay my mom for babysitting by taking her to eat a lot

I give my sister $40 for date night… $65 for 3 days a week seems more than reasonable

4 Likes

I pay my sister to watch my 1 year old $25 a day.

2 Likes

Funny you can totally tell when someone comes on here expecting us all to agree and be on thier side and realize that no. Were not.

9 Likes

Her time is just as valuable.

3 Likes

Whatever!! Geez lady pay your grandma whom you trust and love with your precious child. :woman_facepalming:t2:

4 Likes

The entitlement that some people have is crazy lol don’t have kids if you don’t want to be responsible for their care. Be glad you have the option of someone who loves your kid watching him. It would be much more expensive to have him in a day care or after school program with strangers.

57 Likes

I find it weird that they demand money but I also find it weird you didn’t offer money in the beginning. $65 is super cheap if they are. I would definitely be annoyed I’m not going to lie but it’s still a really good deal

5 Likes

I think if it’s a one time thing no but all week yes

I feel like since she is watching your child on a regular basis, then yes, you should pay her. If it’s only in occasion, like date night or whatever, then it would be different.

3 Likes

maybe she needs the money…

7 Likes

Tell her $50 and you want a home made treat once a week. :yum::cookie:

She has already raised her children. Pay her the cheap 65$ or pay a child care place triple that!!

11 Likes

My child’s grandmother watches her for free. She loves the time with her. I think if she wants to be paid then it’s all fair and well of course but I guess my opinion is she should be thankful for the time spent with her grandchild and that should be enough.

14 Likes

Of course she should be paid. Babysitting isnt fun for everyone,just sayin.

3 Likes

Sorry, but I feel you are being unfair & unreasonable to expect not to pay.

9 Likes

The days of thank u very much are gone of course she should b paid b glad u have some one responsible rather than use and abuse.

2 Likes

You need to pay her or find someone else watch your kid.

2 Likes

That seems reasonable.

1 Like

Why should she do it for free? That’s cheap also! We pay 140 a week. That extra cash helps her. The reduced rate helps you. I don’t see why you wouldn’t.

I am younger but I still want to be paid when watching a kid all week!
Even if only 2-4 hours a day.
It takes time away from my cleaning, an extra mouth to feed, someone else I have to take when I run errands.
It is fair to pay her, maybe $50 a week at least!

2 Likes

Um yes! She is a babysitter, you pay babysitters to watch your child. $65 a week is not bad at all. Most daycares want more than that for kids that are there for the few days. I have seen a price for a week that’s 5 days a week be the same for a kid 2 or 3 days a week. So you are getting a bargain or find another sitter, but you’d be paying more

1 Like

Why would you think you don’t have to pay someone to watch your child?

3 Likes

Yes, she could be using those hrs to do something else like self care or grabbing coffee with girlfriends. My mom watched my child for years and I always paid her, plus I paid her phone and car too since she was taking my kid to places

Yes! You need to pay your grandma to work for you. Not only is it super cheap but leaving your child with someone who you can trust and who loves your child is priceless

4 Likes

She’s doing you a favor by watching your kid and at 65 a week at that. Take your kid somewhere else and see just how expensive it is. Entitlement at it’s finest.

2 Likes

Yes you should pay her.

You’re getting off easy!! Pay her and stop griping about this!! He’s well taken care of and you know who she is. This alone is worth far more than what you’re paying!!

Yes cause a senior on a fixed income needing extra income is a crime. Pay your damn grandmother.

Even family doesn’t owe you anything, she doesn’t have a to watch your son, she’s doing it as a kindness to you, throwing her some money won’t hurt

1 Like

Your gonna pay for child care if you take them elsewhere. Why not pay her to. Stop taking advantage. Be responsible.

4 Likes

If they ask for money then yes. If they will do it for free then no.

Just because they are family doesn’t mean they can’t ask for money.

1 Like

Not to brag but I watch three of them for my daughter she was a one-parent household she works like a dog and brought them up by herself with Grandma and Grandpa’s help they turned out fabulous well adjusted good military human beings I’m so proud of all three of them and it wasn’t easy but I would not have given up one second of it

I say pay her but if she receives any governmental assistance (food stamps, housing subsidies or even social security), it must be reported. She could lose her benefits and possibly be charged for fraud if she doesn’t.

1 Like

Yes pay her! That’s literally nothing in comparison to what you’d pay somewhere else. I’m sure she feeds him and he uses her utilities thru the time she has him.

2 Likes

No kid is easy to watch.
At all.
I have two. I love them. They’re not easy. Lol

2 Likes

Put him in daycare then.

3 Likes

Pay her do something nice for her you were gonna have to pay someone at least your child is in a safe

1 Like

Your kids your responsibility. Yes you should pay. You shouldn’t expect someone to do it for free.

5 Likes

Tis the season to be thankful
Be thankful your child has grandparents who live by. It helps, especially those of us who dont or they have permanently gone from thie earth.
Be thankful thats all you HAVE to pay, as most of us who work full time and do not have the luxury of grandparents nearby have our children in daycare, which is $140-220 a week depending on where you live.
Be thankful you have a healthy child and just because its family, doesnt mean you take advantage.

2 Likes

Yes. If it’s all the time then you should pay her. Look into what daycare costs and the $65 won’t bother you

5 Likes

I pay family. I’ve had family pay me also to watch family. If it’s just a few times here or there, eh maybe not, but if it’s a “job” then hell yeah, pay your gram and move in. I only wish I still had my gram around!!

1 Like

I’d never charge my kids to spend time with my grandbabies in the future ever!

5 Likes

You can go through some states to help pay for people to watch your kids!

You’re entitled if you think family should watch YOUR child for free. Even if he isn’t a hard child to watch, it takes time away from other things they could be doing. Be grateful and give her the money

26 Likes