My partner put no thought into my Mother's Day gift...advice?

Feeling kinda down about mother’s day this year… my oldest is 5, this is my 6th mother’s day… And my husband for THE FIRST TIME EVER got me something! (How sweet right?) … He went to the dollar store after we went to a family members for lunch in a huge rush for a “surprise” and came back with this gem and inside it had a sweaty $5 bill … He said “sorry, I completely forgot until friends fiance gave friend her mother’s day gift, so I was in a rush. But anyways. Happy mother’s day.” I love him and our boys… But this kinda hurts… Also just yesterday he took himself and his sister on a shopping spree , just because… I just feel really emotional and unconsidered I suppose… our youngest is only 1 month old though, so I am being told it’s just my hormones making me blow it out of proportion… I just simply said thank you and walked into the kitchen… I didn’t know what else to do… Also … My birthday is definitely at the end of the year… Nowhere near the month of may

13 Likes

Gift giving is definitely one on my love languages and NOT my husbands. After 14 years I learned if I want a gift for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries etc. I need to tell him exactly what I want, what store its located at, what color/size… everything or I will be disappointed. Lol

4 Likes

You should put the same amount of time,money,energy into father’s day and then use the same excuse.

3 Likes

A 5 bill!! No, hell to the No!
I would have lit that bill on fire and looked at him with a blank stare. The kind of stare that makes one question an individual’s sanity……

4 Likes

I completely understand what your saying. You have every right to feel the way you do, it doesn’t mean your ungrateful.

4 Likes

Wow these men nowadays! Did he get his mother something while he and his sister were out shopping??

3 Likes

Father’s day is next month…people will treat you how you let them…

3 Likes

Return the same thoughts when it comes to fathers day, anniversary, etc.

8 Likes

He is a man. Brought you a dead mouse like a cat and expected praise.

1 Like

Be thankful he got you something at all. Big or small, at least he tried… even if last minute.

6 Likes

First of all, To heck with a guy automatically blaming your hormones! That is manipulative behavior. I would def express how it hurt you.
Then do him the same way on Father’s Day. Get him :poop:
But also, after 14+ years and 3 children, the oldest 14, 5 & 3. I have come to terms with the fact, it’s just another day. I don’t expect anything anymore. What they make in school is so special it makes up for it.

1 Like

Lol i never get anything for bdays or Christmas haha

1 Like

It’s the thought that counts. :heart::woman_shrugging: at least you got SOMETHING.

3 Likes

Nah he’s a complete AH! Men just suck🤦

1 Like

At least you got something

1 Like

So how do you go shopping all day and not see ads all day about mother’s day :thinking: Anywho those saying it’s the thought sound crazy because there literally was no thought. I’d rather a meaningful card & flowers than a $5 bill & trinket. He would get that same $5 bill on father’s day at 8pm :roll_eyes:

A lot of people are saying “well at least you got something” and I understand where they’re coming from, but as much as wife/ mothers do on a daily basis it’s nice to have the other parent make an effort to show you appreciate on the one day a year that’s designed to show moms some extra love. Not for it to be an after thought. Mother’s Day is the one day that mom should feel celebrated and appreciated. She probably still has a to do list a mile long on her birthday, we all know that major holidays aren’t relaxing nor smooth sailing when you have little kids so she doesn’t get a break on those days either.

Another angle to look at this from is the kid’s perspective. My oldest is now old enough to know when it’s Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, ect. And she was so sad she had nothing to give me on Mother’s Day. The kiddos feel guilty about something that’s completely out of their control and something they should be able to rely on other parent for.

2 Likes

Nope that gift was shitty. You look after his kids all year long, he needs to step up his damn game! Just remember this when Father’s Day arrives and make sure to “forget” run to the dollar store and grab a chocolate bar. Now go buy yourself something nice girl or take yourself on a girls getaway and leave the kids with him. :laughing::wink:

I wouldn’t be upset. My husband and I have been together for 7 yrs and we have three kids. And on mother’s day he worked, and I ran errands. We really didn’t even acknowledge it was mother’s day and it was perfectly fine. I know he loves me and I love him, I’m not going to get mad because he didn’t get me something or something special when he does things like that out of random throughout the entire year. People get so serious about things like this.

I said this on another person’s post but it should be for everyone. Ladies raise your standards. He gaslight s her by blaming hormones, hands her garbage, insults her by telling her he was obligated to get her something, and of course just bought himself all kinds of stuff right before this. No, do not be "grateful " just because "you got something ".

At least you got something

1 Like

I got a dollar store card at least it’s something.

You gave him a new baby a month ago . He should be pampering you mom. He took his sister on a shopping spree? So hes got money, and you got something for a dollar. Oh hell no.