My partner doesn't like any of the baby names I have chosen: Advice?

How do i get my partner to think about the names i want for our daughter?’m due in 9 days and after months of saying to him to get on and write a list, less than 2 weeks before he finally does and the names just are not right. He throws out 8 names and is outraged I won’t use one of them, demanding to know why I don’t like them. I don’t get an explanation for any of the over 30 names I’ve had rejected. It honestly is really stressing me out that she won’t have a name, I know I’m hormonal but I’ve cried 3 times today because it feels like he doesn’t really care and is just being difficult.

18 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My partner doesn't like any of the baby names I have chosen: Advice?

Maybe you should pick a name from your list and he should pick a name from his list and that should be her name throw them in a hat to see which name is going to be the first name an which name is going to be the middle that’s a compromise which is better than not compromising at all and crying about it because you haven’t a name picked out yet.

27 Likes

I just want the lists from you both. :joy: I need to see.

27 Likes

Everyone that’s responded is going to hate this but with my first child I named her completely I went to it all the pain birth and everything that came in the nine months I was carrying her so I named her

12 Likes

You don’t have a lot of time but…I would walk around and yell the names in different ways. Like I was calling for them. It helps determine what you’re willing to spend the rest of your life saying.

11 Likes

Maybe take his favorite and your favorite and try to blend them somehow, it’s a compromise for both of you. You both could be being stubborn in this situation and he is probably just as stressed out as you. Remember you’re a team and aren’t against each other. May get a beautiful unique name out of it as well. Best of luck to you both on your bundle of joy.

7 Likes

My daughter wasn’t named until about 30 minutes before we were discharged.
I wanted to name her Brittney Renee (undecided on spelling of either name)
But when she was born, she most definitely did not at all look like a Brittney … so I started frantically going through the baby name book, again.
Finally, she smiled when I said Haeley. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Then you pick the first name and he pick the middle name. That’s the compromise we made with my second child since we couldn’t agree on a single name.

5 Likes

I had my third in March and I had no idea what we were naming her… I had her and we picked, sometimes you have to see the baby to pick the name!

1 Like

Maybe use both one for her first name one for her middle name and compromise that way.

2 Likes

With my 1st child we decided to let it be a surprise if it was a boy or girl. We picked a boys name together. Hubby refused to think of girl names because he was convinced it would be a boy. I finally told him If he would not help then I would choose a girl name and he would have to live with it if it was a girl. She was born, they asked her name, I told them, he didn’t object. 2nd child we found out. Big sis and I picked a name we liked, dad mulled it over a while and then agreed.

My ex and I did family name for our first born. (His grandfather and my great grams) so she ended up a little Gina Dominica. Coincidentally, she happened to look like a very Italian little baby, so it just fit her so nicely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Same thing happened to me. I was so distraught over the whole thing. I had been calling her this name the entire pregnancy and he wanted to change a week before I was due. I kept the first name, he suggested names he liked for the middle name and we compromised on one we both could agree on.

I didn’t name my son for hours after he was born. We had a few in mind and we would call him XYZ and we’re like those don’t fit then finally one stuck. Maybe you’ll see her and just know what her names meant to be

Take one of his names and one of yours and it’s done.

2 Likes

You and your spouse should pick a name each and put that together. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Get a baby name book and sit together and read the names. That’s what my grandson and his wife did. Her name is Eva Marie and I think it’s beautiful.

You’ll know. It’s ok to wait. As soon as you both hear a name, it’ll click. Don’t stress mama :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Play the baby name app. It let’s you swipe on names you like, separately on your own phones, and will tell you when you’ve selected a name you both like.

It’s fun

1 Like

My 2nd son didn’t have a name we agreed on until I gave birth. You’ll be fine.

It’s easy. Put first and middle on a piece of paper and you both draw. Whoever gets first picks the first name and the one that gets middle chooses the middle name!!

My daughter didn’t have a name til they asked for her name to put on her birth certificate :thinking::joy:

2 Likes

You and the father should pick the name

You’re birthing her. You pick. I chose all kids’ names.

1 Like

Just pick a name you like. He can’t even be bothered to have a real discussion & compromise on a name. How do you think he’s going to handle other parenting decisions? Just get used to making all decisions now & listening to him bitch about it even though he’s the 1 not cooperating.

I don’t have children or plan on it anytime soon, but my bf doesn’t like the name I want to name my daughter if I ever have one. I’ve had that name stuck in my head for over 11 years, so it’s not going to change. He can name our other child hehe. Ppl have said it sounds like a p0$* star name though, but I never seen it like that. It actually has meaning to me

Mine denied every name. I finally told him if he didn’t have a name I liked by the time I gave birth then I was going with the name I had chosen. I let him decide the middle name, which is a terrible middle name… but I’ll just never use it :joy::rofl:

We each brought a list to the hospital and fought it out. This way we seen her and we could assess.

We had a huge list of don’ts and her middle was on that list and still snuck through lol :joy:.

Maybe try family names. You can’t go wrong right? If his grandfather’s name was Charlie or James or something you think would be cute for your girl, then suggest something that represents something to HIM. Maybe if his mother’s maiden name is Reese and you like that name then suggest it in a well thought out way (kind of like making him think it is his idea). You have to be smart and find a name that you love that he can’t veto (after his mother or his grandfather or something). My son is one of three or four males named Robert on my husband’s side. I liked the name Rhett. I made up the knick name Ret (cleverly spelled) as short for Robert. Boom. Everybody is happy. Sorry ladies but sometimes you gotta out fox the hubbz. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Mommas i get it. We didnt have a name for my son. Then we chose one day of and when he made his entrance into the world we hated the name and changed it. Its ok to not have a name picked out but he needs to be nice.

1 Like

Wait until that baby is born. When you see her you will know

2 Likes

I had a friend who waited for baby to be born - then was inspired as to what the name should be.

Relax, you both will come up with one.

Wait until she arrives then choose a name that suits her.

With my girls the oldest different dad he picked first I liked we agreed I well my aunt picked middle I agreed with. My younger girls dad picked first I agreed I picked middle he agreed.

This post could be relevant if you at least gave us the list of names to argue or laugh about!

Outraged? Demanding? Over such a wonderful time/experience? Doesn’t sound like a very good partnership.