My mother in law is constantly trying to feed my kid expired food: Advice?

How would you handle your mother in law constantly giving your children expired foods? There has been many many MANY times but for example my 2 year old was sent home the other day with a honey bun, he asked me to open it & when I did it had a playdough like odor. I looked at the expiration date & it was from 2019. I’m not expiration date crazy, but she does this often so I will check. She wanted to send my 7 year old to his Valentine’s day party at school with a bag of candy that expired years ago, which I politely declined. I have talked to her and explained that I do not mind if it’s a few weeks/months depending on what it is, but YEARS expired is not okay. But she still continues to do it. She is a hoarder & I have offered to clean all of the expired food out of her pantry & buy her all new stuff. She declined. I always offer to buy her fresh snacks and drinks to keep at her house, she declines. Today she gave my 7 year old a bottle of juice that expired in 2020. I mentioned that it was old and she proceeded to tell him, oh your mom thinks everything is expired, you can drink it it’s fine. I feel like she has zero respect for me or my choices for my children. I don’t understand why it is such a problem. She watches my 2 year old once or twice a month in exchange for us paying one of her bills, and she will help when I need it, I really appreciate her for that and don’t want to be rude but c’mon. What would you do in my shoes?

8 Likes

I wouldn’t leave my kids there. Can she watch your kids at your house? And deff don’t accept food or drink from her and let the older child know not to accept it either

6 Likes

I’d stop letting my kids go to her house.

8 Likes

Dude… 2 year expired juice… that’s like giving a kid bad wine. If she keeps not listening you may need to keep your kids away from her until she let’s you help her by cleaning out the old food and replacing with up to date snacks.

7 Likes

I would have her come to my house to watch the kids

3 Likes

And also, I wouldn’t want my children having expired food. :woman_shrugging: that’s a no go for me

2 Likes

To start… Have her watch the kids at your house where you know everything is in date. If she refuses then you have two options continue with the way things are or stop having her watch the kids.

Beyond that she needs professional help…Hoarding is often linked to severe anxiety among a few other mental health conditions.
The thing is it’s much like substance addictions she has to acknowledge she has a problem before any help can be gotten.
You and other family members/friends could try a type of intervention and get her to seek help but beyond that there’s not a whole lot you can do.

4 Likes

Get her help for the hoarding and also make sure she watches the kids at your house only and doesn’t bring any expired food… don’t want to get the kids sick or worse because of expired food.

1 Like

That is not ok I wouldn’t b sending them over there without their own food

1 Like

Take your kid his own snacks while staying there and what she sends home just throw away…

1 Like

You should’ve opened that juice in front of her so she can see for herself how bad it is, like maybe a month over but nothing like years over That’s crazy, tell her to eat it then!!!

Don’t allow her to babysit and do not bring the children to her home. Ever.
Let her know gently that her hoarding is a mental health issue that you are willing to help her get help for and the issue you have is about the safety of your children.
Tell her that she is welcome to come to YOUR home but the children will no longer be visiting her there.
If the issue is that you need care… hire a babysitter.

Sometimes you have to put your foot down and be a little rude. I had to do this with my mother over junk food and Cokes. I felt bad of course but being polite just wasn’t working anymore.

If she us a hoarder, I would not let my kids go to her house to stay. Let her visit and keep the kids at your house in order to keep them safe.

My mother in law does the same shit! Glad I’m not the only one! I check everything she gives them now.

I would say don’t give my kid expired food.

I would not allow them around her. Period.

Would not leave my kids with her at all

22 Likes

I’d start by maybe telling her to watch ur kids at ur place. And talk to ur husband and whatever family u can. All talk to her n get her help. Hoarding is a illness. Sounds like she wants to be a grandma n spoil her grands. However she doesn’t realize she could be causing kids to get sick or something serious. Maybe she’s not mentally there to understand that.

Them “your mom” comments don’t sit right with me

I would say get her some help hoarding is a problem with deeper issues I wouldn’t say keep your kids from her but definitely get her some help and not leave the kids alone with her till she does accept the help . I think she loves your kids and is trying to be that grandma but I think she needs to find some help and dealing with the deeper issues to why she thinks she needs to keep things even more so the food and stuff.

2 Likes

She has a problem that needs to be addressed

4 Likes

Set a boundary. She isn’t allowed alone with the kids and she isn’t allowed to feed them.

If it was my child, she wouldn’t be watching him end of.

Tell her to stop it or fuck off

It’s a mental disorder so she can’t see it how you see it. Maybe get a sitter instead?

Feed her expired eggs and milk ( your mother in law) reverse roles and see how she likes it.

just give her $ and forget her watching your kid. this could be life or death situation, one day she may feed him old ham or chicken or pasta or jem ! those could e deadly. help lady with bills and keep your kid away from being unsupervised. she is a sick person , hoarding is a huge mental problem;(

1 Like

Also if she’s a hoarder her home probably isn’t safe for your kids anyway and you shouldn’t let them be going over there. If she’s your only choice for a babysitter then she needs to watch them at your house. And if she can’t or won’t do that then you need to find someone else for your kids safety

6 Likes

She’s unstable mentally and shouldn’t be caring for children. She needs help.

10 Likes

Ewww. That is not okay. Hoarding is a fire hazard…I would not allow my kids over there at all.

Um that juice could very well have been fermented, which could essentially get the child drunk if not extremely sick! Stick to your guns! I’m with you on that a couple weeks or months expired isn’t too big of a deal depending on what it is… mother in law needs to follow the requests you’ve made for your children’s care.