My mom constantly eats the food that I buy for my son and I: Advice?

Buy food keep in your room locked up in something so it cant be accessed

5 Likes

Yes if you don’t like it then move out for me my mother would never take for my child

2 Likes

Did she raise you until you were of age? If the answer is yes, you shouldn’t even be questioning this.

4 Likes

I wish I had my mom so she can eat my bread. I lost my mother in July 2007 and would do anything to have her back. Stop being so selfish it’s food not a big deal.

1 Like

If you are paying for all the groceries and she’s eating them up the best thing you can do is move out and get your own place. if you can’t afford it get two jobs

1 Like

It’s bread lady come on. Is your child starving to death? I doubt it. U still live with mommy bunny she can do as she please!!

1 Like

I’d refuse to buy food and see if she buys and wait to see if she says something about it. If that doesn’t work id get a mini fridge for your cold items and lock yours and your sons items in your bedroom.

4 Likes

If it’s her house that you’re living in then really she’s going to do what she wants. Maybe buy an ice chest for the bread and non perishable items and put a lock on it.

2 Likes

Lock up what you dont have enough of to share… but please make sure you are caring your weight… pay your way… clean up after yourself and respect your mom and her home.

2 Likes

How old are you? I suggest getting an apartment!

3 Likes

Its frickin bread geesh. I could care less if she ate my food. Maybe shes hungry. Iys frickin bread buy extra. If it’s such a big problem get the hell.out and get your own place. I would never deny anyone food just cus I’m selfish

Well free advice you asked for it. Lol. You say you pay your way in that regard you will need to see if you really do. Take out you a sheet of paper and a pen . This what I had my children do. 1. How much is rent that she has to pay. 2. Light bill 3.gas 4. Water 5.cable bill 6 . Shampoo / conditioner 7. Soap 8. Toilet paper 8. Laundry soap. 9. Dish soap .10.shavers 11. Toothpaste 12.deodorant13.trash bags. Now if you add all this up this is what she will have to spend just to accommodate you and your child a month. The bills should then be split two ways . Her half and yours. I bet you will see that she more then accommodates you and your son , and you wouldn’t be bothered by the food part at all. I know by my bills alone I spend well over 2, 000 a month , just be grateful you can help your mom out. Over look the small things one day you want have her here .

3 Likes

Do you help with rent & other expenses besides the food you eat

My husband and have mom mom living with us ever sense my dad died I do not expect her to pay for anything when I go to grocery I make sure I buy what I know she likes and will eat. After all I only have one mom and she lives on a much tighter income than we do.

Theres only one answer, get you an apartment ,its going to turn sower in time between you and mom,its best just to move out,

1 Like

your mom should help buy food if she’s eating it !!!

You ate her food for years while you were growing up, even while she was paying the bills. Get over it

Thats ur mom the one that fed you gave you life so you could become a mother shame to think you worried about her eating ur bread you need to do some soul searching thats ur mother you should take the best care of her and if food is tight plenty of food banks around sharing means caring

Move out! I feel sorry your mom has to put up with you!

Simple solution if you do not like your mom eating your food move out and get your own place! Your mom is your mom after all and did not need to take you and your son into her home. Geez grow up and stop being so stingy and ungrateful towards your mom! Your mother was there in your time of need share the bread and stop whining like a whine bag! Sorry but not sorry! Wake up before you mom is no longer there for you and your son because its too late when she dies to appreciate your mom.

I am with Julie Wardlaw she your mom, look at how much she did for you when you were growing up.

Dang that’s your MOM be lucky you have one to feed. As I cared for my as she was dying I made sure she had everything she wanted food wise. She took care of you how many years least you can do is return favor. Wow and ppl are saying its wrong Y’all should be ashamed of yourself SMDH its your MOM

My husband says if it’s in “OUR” house, we have access to whatever!

Buy a small fridge and keep in your room…

1 Like

I had this problem with my nephew. I stopped buying food. I’d hide it in my room or something. It’s a shame but if u tell them countless times what’s a person suppose to do

Maybe buy and extra thing or two and let her know that you did…
so we can all share!! Who knows it might work!?

Unfortunately this might be something you have to deal with. Your living in her house. Are you paying rent or part of the utilities? Was this discussed before moving in?

2 Likes

You might need to keep a pantry in your bedroom. Maybe a small fridge, it you have limited funds. Is your mom on a tight budget? Maybe she can get assistance? Is there a food bank near?

Wow that is your mom, my mom passed away I sure wish she was still here. She took good care of you when you was baby all the way up until now, remember your living with her still. It shouldn’t matter rather she is eating your food or not she paid the cost for you now it’s time for you to take care of her.

Buy a mini fridge and store your food in you room, put a lock on the door

I would consider moving out or buying more bread

2 Likes

Move out & find your own place! Be grateful that you have a Mom that eats your food! i’m sure she has her issues also. Buy an extra loaf of bread & freeze it til you need it. Bet she doesn’t charge you for the water that you use or any of the other things like electricity etc… probably costs her a lot more for ya’ll to be staying with her than you realize. So if having to buy more food is a problem then you need to get your own place and go from there!

If ya live with your mom just buy more bread. Do you pay rent , utilities, gas phone ?

2 Likes

Keep food that doesn’t need to be in the fridge or freezer in your room.

1 Like

Keep a clear plastic box and a mini ref. In your bedroom for you and your son’s food . That way you have your food separated from your Mom’s food .

It’s bread big deal. Be thankful she lets you & your son live with her you could be on the street. Oh and be thankful everyday you still have your mom. Mine has been gone 19 yrs I’d give anything to be able for her to eat my bread or any other foods I’d buy.

I’d buy her her own loaf of bread. There’s plenty of very good discount bread places/bakeries or even learn how to coupon together. If neither are an option, I just wouldn’t eat but maybe once a day or so.
I took care of my mother on my own from age 16 until I was 28 when she passed. She would never take from her grand babies or me and I would never take from them. I wouldn’t eat or we would share. I would donate blood or not eat at all every chance I got to see her again. There are food pantries and supplemental food programs and since the thing is it’s your sons lunch, there’s free lunch programs for him as well. Nobody should go without and there are options.

Wow! How ungrateful of you.
It’s your mother!!!
You would not be here if it wasn’t for her. Of course she can eat all your food.
Why are you complaining? It’s a simple solution. Buy enough food for your kid and your mother.
I hope God forgives you.
FYI: you should be ashamed for posting this

1 Like

My husband and I have been “kid free” for about five years. It’s a huge adjustment to have someone move in. The little things, aren’t little. With my son here, I can’t walk around in my sleep clothes, I have extra dishes to wash, have given up a portion of my driveway and so on. I love him dearly, but I wouldn’t complain about food, not for a moment.

Haley Martin why is this funny. She us,living with her mother. She gave her a,roof over her head when she needed it. Who knows,were she would be if it wasn’t for her.

1 Like

Not cool. My daughter moved back in with us. No kids. She pays rent. She has a spot in the pantry that is for her. She keeps her snacks there. I don’t buy snacks, per say. I’d never touch her stuff! I’d say that’s crossing the boundaries. Your mother needs a talking too. That’s very rude!

I have lived with my parents on and off at one point I lived with them for a few yrs with my kids I helped with Bill’s n food but if I got something that was for my kids or treat for me my parents had enough respect n curtsey to ask me if the could have some not just get into it I dont blame you for the way you feel when I got with my husband n moved in we would go down n spend couple of nights with my parents so they could have time with the kids n we could spend more then just a few hrs together me n my parents are very close when we would come home the milk that I had gotten for us was gone used up by the roommates n all that was left was 1% or 2% which the kids or me wont touch my dad would come to town bring milk n went off on them bc food was taken out of their grandbabies mouth

Buy it put extras in your room buy a mini fridge put it in your room and put locks on it there are many solutiond but she’s your mom and mabe she is struggling two

I have 2 brothers who currently stay with me. The stuff I want to keep is brought into my room and put in my closet or my small refrigerator. Sucks that I have to do it, but I’m the one who said they can stay here.

1 Like

A mother never gets to sit down to a hot meal when she was raising you

1 Like

I would try to move out … respecting boundaries is part of living with other people

Best way to stop this “nonsense” is to get your place and fully be on your own. :woman_facepalming:t4: crying over dam bread and doesn’t have her own place to live!

Seems like it’s always easier for people who are not in the situation to voice their opinion. So you just have to think on your own and decide what you going to do no one can tell you what to do.

“It’s your mum”. Boohoo. Just because you give someone life (was your decision) doesn’t give you the right to STEAL from your children and grandhildren. It’s theft, plain and simple.

I can see where it would be an issue if you was limited on money and having to put out more money than you can afford to tward groceries when you got just enough to get your kid through the week. Then coming up short. That would feel troublesome. If your helping pay bills and buying your own commodities for yourself and all your doing is sleeping under her roof. Then sit her down and explain to her you have limited money. If she still doesn’t listen then make plans to get out, witch you should be doing anyways! If your not contributing tward nothing in the house just your own groceries then you should be ashamed of yourself for being so stingy.

Have a area for your food under lock. They sell fridges and such for cheap. Unless you’re paying rent and helping with Bill’s it’ll be seen as not a big issue considering relationship. However, if you’ve already talked to her and she continues then it’s a problem that needs to be addressed. It shows she doesn’t respect you or your son or your belongings; even food. And it teaches your son that it’s ok to disrespect and take just because.

1 Like

Are u paying ur Mother rent for u and ur son? What is ur contribution to the household, besides buying food for u and ur son!!

Her house, you share. All the utilities are going to be higher with you and your child. If you don’t like sharing your food, find your own apartment, simple.

Only advice is get your own. She doesn’t respect you nor does she replace it. Also maybe she feels what’s in the house should be for everyone which again you will have to get your own only advice. Or put up the food you don’t want to be touched.

My advice would be, share your food. Would your mother act up if you or your son ate her food? Of course she wouldn’t. Buy food for everyone in the home, and your mom will also buy food and it should be for everyone. This sounds selfish. That is your mother.

If you have to come on FB or ask period you have already answered your question you know in your heart and spirit it’s not right to criticize your mom but your flesh is self centered. Do the right thing sweetie God will then supply all your needs.

Just buy extra don’t make it bigger than it is, not worth loosing relationship over. You can always move is it worth it?

I get where you are coming from. My husband and I live with my parents in a rented house. I get upset when she eats my stuff, because I have a special diet. I tell her not to but she does anyway, with that said my husband and I pay 80% of the bills, half of the rent, all the food, and all of the house supplies.

Would NEVER post here asking advice. People are so rude and spiteful. No common human decency. What is wrong with just being nice?

Either move out or whatever don’t belong in the fridge raider keep in your room locked up that’s all you can really do to keep her from doing it it’s pretty inconsiderate of her to do so but it is her house

Boundaries, she’s crossing them. Some people say she gave you life…well, you didn’t have a choice in that and it’s a piss poor excuse for her to take your child’s anything! I’ve learned from having an inconsiderate mother that sometimes less of or no relationship happens to be best! You are responsible for you and your child not her!

Yeah, I’d move out. Ur grown…ur own place is the best place…Especially if your complaining about your own mother. One day you won’t have her to talk to, to hug, laugh with, and never hear that "I love you honey things will be ok. " So you should cherish your moments with her while u can. (Lost my mom when i was 21 she was 46… Breast cancer sucks.) Now i have a question for you::::: Did you pay your mom back for all the diapers,wipes, sleepless nights, all the food shes bought dor you n cooked u? Doubt u did… Now shush that mouth and enjoy her!!! Simple

Wow there’s some catty responses here.
Yes she her mother and yes she’s living in her mothers house but being in a similar situation myself but with my MIL I completely understand where the OP is coming from. We don’t have anything right now and barely have enough $ to survive at the moment so what little food I do buy specificity for my children is meant for them and them only. I buy house for for everyone but there are certain things I get just for my kids that I get upset if someone else eats it including my husband. We do not live in my MIL’a house we share this house we split the bills.
To OP I would try again to sit down with your mother and have a rational conversation with her. Explain that your son eats these specific things and you don’t have the means to buy double the amount of them because she wants to eat them too. Which is what you are doing already because you’re having to replace them more often now. Express your gratitude for living in her home and show your love, support and respect for her but ask for the same love, support and respect from her. Explain that she may not see it as a big issue but to you it is a big issue and is causing strain on you and hers relationship that you don’t want to be there.
I wish you the best of luck. Please don’t pay no kind to many of the replies above. I understand respecting your mother since she is your mother but mothers need to respect their children as well. As a mom I would never take from my children or grandchildren just because I’m the mom.

My 23 year old son just moved in to save for a house. We told him to pay $300 a month (we are stashing it for his down payment). I ran out of laundry detergent yesterday and a few things. I asked him to run to the store for me and take my debit card, he paid for it. Today he went to the grocery store to buy things for his lunch, he works on the river. To my surprise when he came back he had bought larger quantities or double items. I said “son, you didn’t have to buy so much, we won’t eat YOUR things”. He said, “mom, you and pop didn’t have to let me move in either.”

It’s bread, so what? I know you said you pay your way, but I’m sure it’s nowhere near as costly as it would be if you were living on your own, or you would be.

If she’s eating the bread, next time spend an extra three dollars and buy two loaves.

Does your mom pay the mortgage? Electric bill? Water bill? Cable? Internet? Is she the one doing the cleaning? Probably so. Seems like you may be taking advantage of her kindness. Buy more bread or get your own place.

Can you get a mini fridge?
Store your not fridge items in your room or somewhere else.

Buy a lockable cabinet and keep your food in there until you need it.

I’m just wondering how many meals your mother gave up, how made sacrifices she made, things she went without… And you on here venting about food? Are y’all starving? It may be frustrating, it it. But I also get that there’s s lot missing from this narrative. So my comment is based on what you’ve posted (haven’t read all the comments) with just a little spitefulness speculation. I’ve been the young mommy living at home and we’ve had out daughters living with us during difficult times. What we always established is that when food came in the house it belonged to the family as we all put I’m. Unless it was something special it was available.

You say you’re paying your way. Sis, if you were, you’d be living on your on.

Im not trying to be mean but you need a reality check.

Are you paying anything to stay with her or just paying for your stuff while you’re there. She may see this as some kind of “rent” for allowing you to stay with her. You should be buying groceries if living there for free.

You live with her you said so buy extra bread like she had to when you were young

If you don’t like It, move. Maybe that’s her passive aggressive way to get rid of you!

Who feed you growing up?

Does your mom have enough money to buy her own food?
If she does than I would put my food in my room. If she’s just eating for spite. If your mom doesn’t have enough money for food than sounds like you need to help with groceries too.

My 22 yr old son lives at home . He does contribute (small amount )staying here. I or he would never say this is my this is ur food.WE R ALL FAMILY IN MY HOUSE . FAMILY HELPS FAMILY

Then i suggest u get your tail end up to that store and buy extra bread u dont know how blessed u are to be still living at home

I don’t care who it is. It’s not hers. She could politely ask her if she could have some but she doesn’t and she continues to keep doing it. Rude is rude. I don’t care who you are! My advice is to buy a mini fridge and lock it so your rude mother can’t get her grubby fingers inside. I’m not here to argue on social media with people who wouldn’t dare say anything to me in the real world so leave your filthy comments to your damn self because I’m not going to read them. Byee

I’d keep it in my room if I were you. Idc who you are, we have problems if you’re taking from my kid’s mouth 🤷

Move out before it escalates into an argument that both of you will regret later

Get your own place if dang bread is that important to you.

If it is a problem then start putting stuff up like away in Your Room and Lock up . But honestly it’s food . Share some. If you are on a tight budget suggestion she buys it 2 times a month and you do the same at 2 times a month.

Get your own place then you don’t have bvb to worry about it

Not wanting to get too far into this pointless conversation, but I have to say that I would buy me mom cartloads of groceries if she were still with me! Stop the bitching about a relatively small problem. You could also pack up you and your son and move out if it is such a huge deal! :smiley:

I see this on many different sides. Some people are saying “well she didn’t have to feed you”… ummmm yeah she did too. She chose to keep you so therefore it was her job to feed you. And yes I’m a firm believer in don’t take from my kids.
I’m also a grandma & I would gladly starve so my grandkids can eat. No ifs ands or buts about it.
No one knows why they are living together & as hard as it may seem for some people it is actually hard to buy any extra of anything.

She’s your mom. Either deal with it or move out.

GET your own place! Buy extra of what you know she eats!

It’s your mom, it’s your mom, it’s your mom. So what? If she’s paying her part, stay the hell out of her stuff. Obviously none of y’all have ever been that poor. Blah blah blah, just because it’s her mom doesn’t give her the right. I wouldn’t do that to my daughter. I SAID WHAT I SAID. Be careful who you rip into though. I have lost one mom already and my oldest daughter. So, another thing, whoever said there should be a separate page for this stuff…you ain’t wrong.

Very petty of you you worry about bread? Then take your son and go to a Shelter

Buy extra bread. She took you in.

Does she ever watch your kid? Do you pay her when she does?

Buy a separate fridge and out a lock and chain.

Shame on you…where are you living?

Get a cabinet with a lock for your room and lock your food up.

The answer is simple. Do the shopping together and split it. Anything you get specifically for your son, aside from basic items like bread, by all means buy separately. If there’s no ‘hers’ or ‘yours’, there’s no arguing.

Are you truly paying your own way? Or only contribution is your own phone and maybe a little toward internet or cable. It costs A LOT more to live than that and she didn’t have to take you! It’s FOOD! And Even if I was paying all the food I wouldn’t WANT my mom to go hungry and especially if I was living in HER HOUSE! Grow up!

1 Like

Keep the unparishables In your room. If you and your son eat it fast enough you can keep everything in with you. Or get a mini fridge

I just wish my mom still around! Cherish the time you have with her.

Move out of her house!

7 Likes

i wish my mom was here to take my food i miss her so much.

Wish I had my mom here to eat the bread :disappointed:

It’s time for you to move away from mommy

2 Likes