My friends husband refuses to let her buy anything until the baby is born: Thoughts?

I agree Kristen. 100%

Well my baby dad had 2 babys after ours passed away after I delivered him an both time he him self didnt buy nothing for his kids until they were born an healthy but his kids mom bought stuff he didnt stop her he just couldn’t until he new for sure an he told everyone that was buying stuff to wait until they were born she a a shower for the first one but not the se6

1 Like

So wheres the kid going to sleep when they bring it home? Whats it going to wear? Amd financial control is a form of abuse fiy

1 Like

Actually most hospitals wont let you leave with a carseat. The baby is going to have to have a crib, carseat, and at least clothes. Her husband is dumb to make her wait.

1 Like

Throw her a secret party. Do not tell her husband. Keep the gifts at your house. Give them to her bit by bit her husband sounds like a winner.

2 Likes

She should probably get needed things, diapers, couple outfits, things that will definitely be needed in the first few days. To avoid arguments, if it’s that bad.

I was brought up that you don’t buy or ha e baby showers till the baby is born. I’ve witness women who have and everything was fine then witness what it was like for those who babies where still born or born and died days after. It was really hard on them and having to return and sell all the baby stuff made it harder. What my parents did was once my first child was born while I was on the hospital got the crib and set it up and the family got together the main stuff I need for our trip home. Then they had a Hugh shower for me.

2 Likes

This is wierd… you need stuff right from when bub is born (even in the hospital you need clothes and nappies etc) they need yo sit down and work out what is wrong with him, especially seeing as he has kids already and he should know

1 Like

It’s between her and her husband not you

3 Likes

Well her starting to buy things is up to her. The dad may have a fear of loss and doesn’t want anything bought until baby is born because he doesn’t want baby stuff to make the pain worse when coming home without a baby! Some also believe it is bad luck to buy things for baby before baby is here.

1 Like

My hubby didn’t want to get a lot for our baby and I slowly bought things and he complained but I continued. Why is she letting this guy make this decision? Does she not have access to her own money? If not that’s a sign of an abusive relationship.

I have 4 kids, they can come early! At this point, if your baby comes right now you’ll be sitting in a NICU with nothing so I’d suggest you get on it. My 1st was born at 36 weeks, 2nd at 34.

I think there is a problem here. If she is afraid to buy something for her own baby incase it starts an argument… seriously.
Something is seriously wrong there

2 Likes

I didn’t have a baby shower throw for me for any of my 3 children and it hurt so much to not have that experience :frowning: I feel bad for anyone who doesn’t bc I know how it feels. I dont get why he has to “let her” do anything. This is ridiculous and probably makes her so emotional. I feel for her. For our last baby I barely had anything before and didn’t get to “go shopping” and it sucked. They will atleast need a carseat, something for baby to wear, diapers, wipes, bottles if not nursing, blankets, and something for the baby to sleep in. You actually need more than youd think. Ugh

I asked my husband to read this and he says baby stuff is absolutely needed before the baby is born. You don’t want to get home the day the baby is born and have to spend 3 hours putting a crib together. And finding the best wipes and diapers is already hard enough. He says go for it and find a way to make her husband deal with it

Throw her a surprise baby shower. Her husband can’t do anything when he doesn’t know about it and it’s a gift from other people. Just ask the friend first if she would be okay if you brought the cot, car seat and clothes that way you don’t accidentally upset her because she wanted to buy it herself.

Also why is she afraid if would start an ‘argument’. The baby needs things like blankets, somewhere to sleep (cot/bassinet), bottles, dummies, clothes, bath soap, baby bathtub, a car seat, ect.

Just letting you know that you have to have stuff for the baby when in the hospital. It doesn’t look good when you’re unprepared and a lot of doctors are told not to let someone leave with the baby unless they’re sure the baby is going to be taken care of. Car seat ect. they will literally follow you to your car and make sure you have one. That’s a very weird thing to be fighting about in my opinion definitely some red flags

1 Like

What is the reason her husband doesn’t want her buying anything? If it’s a religious reason I guess I would follow what my husbands beliefs are. Lots of different cultures believe it’s bad luck to buy things for a baby before being born before anyone jumps on me.

2 Likes

You can’t even leave the hospital without a car seat

What is he planning on going shopping while mom is in the postpartum ward?

1 Like

Honestly it shouldn’t matter what stage she is in, he shouldn’t be controlling her like that.

Throw her a baby shower, if he’s thay controlling she could say you bought it for her or she can keep it at your house.

I hope other than this he’s a good guy or I wouldn’t even stay in that type of relationship

1 Like

That’s weird! Why would he not want to be prepared. What’s his plan ? Something is definitely fishy. At least get the bare necessities. You know a car seat. Crib. Clothes . Diapers. Formula or a pump. Blankies …babies need things to leave the hospital.

1 Like

Just throw her a surprise shower and she will have everything she needs to get started the hell with him

1 Like

What if its part of his beliefs? There are cultures that frown upon buying anything before the baby is born. Some believe it could cause bad luck as well.

Maybe he’s afraid she’s going to lose the baby. Has he lost a child before this one. I brought all my baby stuff at 14 weeks and lost my son 3 weeks later. Which meant I had my son stuff but no son

1 Like

Just get a bunch of friends together and throw a surprise baby shower he can’t say anything he won’t know that is stupid

1 Like

U should tell hin its stupid to be unprepared when the baby does come

Screw him…if she wants to buy something for her child, then that’s it.
Cant anyone throw her a baby shower? Can you? If shes afraid to “go against his wishes”, then he sounds like a narcissist and that isnt good. She deserves a baby shower…

It’s your friend’s life and marriage… stay out of it.

4 Likes

Some cultures believe that celebrating a child before he or she is born will draw evil spirits and result in bad luck for the child, so they don’t buy stuff for the baby till he or she is born and healthy.

5 Likes

My husband wasnt happy with me buying baby stuff early, but I was paranoid since it was my 2nd and my first baby came early at 29wks. He was more so waiting til baby shower tho, and wanted to wait til his parents and my family bought us the bigger gifts they wanted to get. However since she isnt having a baby shower I dont see why they wouldnt be buying anything yet or wouldnt want to. No advice sorry :confused: just sharing my perspective through experience.

I’m wondering if her Husband has suffered a miscarriage or infant death in the past? My Husband and I had 2 healthy babies, then 2 miscarriages, then 2 more healthy pregnancies. With those first 2 pregnancies, I started getting things early on. After the losses, we both were in no hurry. We didn’t start buying anything until 5, 6, 7 months along. The car seats were purchased days before my due date. We both were in the same place about it - we were cautiously excited, but afraid to get too attached before their arrival.

If there was no loss, there are other issues here and I would be concerned. If there was, this situation requires some sensitivity. Not everyone handles loss the same way.

2 Likes

On the list of things that never happened, this never happened the most

1 Like

do what you want just keep it at your house.

I had a stillborn at 38 weeks and it was DEVASTATING to come home to all of her stuff. Pregnant again and I feel the same way I want nothing here until my baby is HOME with me.

2 Likes

It’s taboo in some cultures to buy for the baby before it is born. It’s like, if you buy something then the baby won’t make it.

3 Likes

Well she should let them be unprepared and then go out to run errands and let him sweat being unprepared lol

Many cultures believe that you are tempting fate by purchasing baby items before the baby is born. They believe it will cause stillbirth, medical issues for baby, a complicated delivery, etc.

2 Likes

:confused::slightly_frowning_face::anguished::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face::dizzy_face:… id rather rock the boat now than later… and im sorry She is carrying a baby!!! She deserves what sheeeeeee wants! Period!:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

Maybe her husband is superstitious. I’m Jewish & we aren’t supposed to bring anything for the baby into the house ahead of time. It’s an old superstition, but many still follow it.

2 Likes

That relationship sounds exhausting

1 Like

Yes she needs to be prepared for the baby car seat bed clothes diapers wipes

1 Like

Sounds like a winner :roll_eyes::joy:🤦

1 Like

Like many other said, superstitions… and yes some people still do follow them… for us mainly getting a crib before birth is said to bring bad omen… maybe let her deal with her husband, ask questions… maybe he does have a valid reason to do so…

1 Like

Wow that’s messed up. My husband tried to tell me not to buy anymore stuff, because babies don’t need a lot. But guess what I didn it anyways and he just rolled his eyes at me. LOL I told him.that since we can afford more things this pregnancy that I want the comfort items that I missed out on during our first baby. However even with our first I had all the essentials ready before she was born.

1 Like

Maybe you as a friend can rally friends together to throw a surprise baby shower for her and then offer to personally deliver everything the day the baby comes home. Bassinet full of supplies will be a good starter pack. I would do it soon in case baby arrives early then everyone is happy and stress is down from feeling unprepared.

Tell her to fill her online carts now and when baby finally arrives process all orders. Packages will arrive before baby comes that way she picks out what she likes :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

He just said she can’t right!? Do you know the husband well or is there a guy friend that has had a baby recently to can talk to him? Would he allow a baby shower if someone else can keep it all til after the baby is born? Has she registered for what she wants/ needs? In store or online?
The hospital won’t let the baby go home if there is nothing for it. She has to bring the car seat into the hospital 12-24hrs before they let them leave. My bestfriend just had her son 10days ago, they asked all kinds of questions to make sure she was prepared before they would discharge them.

sometimes this is a cultural thing. Many also believe it’s bad luck to buy anything before the baby is born

Throw her a surprise shower. That way he has no say. Btw…this dude sounds like a total controlling dick head

Surprise her with a baby shower at another facility so not to step on husband’s toes if it is bad luck he fears. Then bring everything over when baby is born. I think it is strange though not to be prepared. Crib, bassinet, dresser, car seat to bring baby home in clothing and all. ’

My main concern would be her fear of having an argument with her husband, over necessities for her child? When the baby comes she’s not going to have time or energy to be out shopping… Where’s the baby gonna sleep? What’s the baby going to wear? How is the baby going to get home?

She needs to get a crib and basic things for the baby. I mean come on, what if the baby comes early (hopefully not) but it happens. Why should he get the right to take the fun/ enjoyment of being pregnant from her? Go shopping girl!

Buy buy buy … And if hubs is unhappy… Bye bye bye … U need to get some things … u have zero choice. But NOTHING… Screw the argument… I’d be fighting everyday, and getting a few things every payday… Baby’s need alot of lil things we don’t realize … It’s not cheap to have a baby. … much less buying all of it at birth… That man is past stupid

8 Likes

Does she work? Either way, i would love to see my husband say i can’t shop for stuff :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Buy! its her baby too. Its easier little at a time than all at once. Talk to him and find out the problem

Let her?! A carseat is a must if you plan on leaving the hospital with a baby. Maybe the friend should let her keep stuff she buys at her house until the baby is here for the sake of arguing with him. Mama is already under alot of stress she doesn’t need to worry about being ill prepared for her baby or arguing with her husband.

2 Likes

When she at hospital give husband the list & say go get it. Lol

You gonna hold the baby in the front seat to go purchase a car seat? No! Are you gonna go to the store on the way home and buy a crib, clothes, diapers and wipes??? HELL NO! You’re gonna want to go home and hold your baby not neglect him or her because you gotta put the nursery together. You better do you and that baby. Ain’t no man telling me what I can and can’t do ESP when it comes to caring for my children!

1 Like

I think they need to have a sit down and discuss it. Is he concerned about the baby not arriving… sometimes there are customs that state nothing can be bought until baby is here. Seriously though, I loved baby shopping and I’m not sure I could have been stopped. If the woman in the couple is working and making her own money, she should be putting it aside to save it for supplies! Shopping with a baby is tough. Also you could always order stuff but it can take a few days for things to arrive…

Plan a surprise baby shower, that way she gets a few items before hand. Tell guest to get basic baby items and stuff she’ll need at 1st.

2 Likes

Leave his a$$ behind and get that baby things. Some hospitals will not let you take the baby home without anything it’s neglect.

4 Likes

A lot of hospitals won’t let you physically leave with the child til they see you have a proper car seat

Has he been in a relationship where they had a late term miscarriage, or stillbirth? If so, he’s being completely unreasonable but I could see where it’s coming from. If not, he’s being completely unreasonable. They will need everything essential before baby comes home.

3 Likes

Don’t be scared tell the husband you going to start buying things for the baby and if he don’t like it that’s his problem. The baby needs things to be ready when you bring him or her home.

He sounds controlling.
Unless there is something hes not telling her.

They need to TALK …

3 Likes

Wow, where do yall find these boys that have to allow you to buy shit? I could fathom asking permission to buy anything

1 Like

Go shopping. Buy for the baby.

I’d be buying “stuff” and asking a friend to store it. What a hefty bill this new baby will bring and no fault of it’s own.

My cousin didnt buy anything until the baby was born but a carseat.

If CPS got wind of them not having anything for baby they will be in their life in a second.

Better get a car seat can’t leave the hospital without one,it’s a liability.

2 Likes

Are you going to feel like doing anything but sleep after that baby is born?

Control freak sounds like. I personally would leave that situation.

Do her a baby shower…she deserves to enjoy that ocasion that will not come again for that new baby…if he dont want it dont invite him…some mens are like caveman…do it take pics and videos…motherhood is something so beautiful…good luck

Umm hes dumb as fuck. U should prepare NOW bc it’s harder once they r here.

Is he a control freak?

Car seat is a must or they wont let baby leave hospital…maybe he has a surprise or possibly waiting for tax return to get all the child needs. Plausible he wants to be involved with the whole experience or possibly wants to have babies exact size ect as to not waste money men are strange creatures

Yea no !! im buying whatever the hell my baby needs before it comes that way its already there when i get home from the hospital. Sounds like hubby is a little on the slow side. I had an entire nursery stocked with 2 years worth of diapers and wipes because i started buying at 2 months preg. No way would i have been able to afford everything at once. Thats why you purchase as you progress. What a Dumbass !! :woman_facepalming:

Sounds like her husband is a real asshole