My boyfriend thinks marriage is just a piece of paper

Money is a piece of paper we all slave our lives for so why not marriage?

2 Likes

Their honestly are more benefits if your not married

2 Likes

My husband & I lived together for 17 years & got married for insurance reasons. We have been together 27 years & married 14 years now & we are both still happily married! I highly recommend marriage.

Divorces cost more than weddings. Marriage is not just a piece of paper. Anyone with that mindset will not have a healthy relationship going forward in the future.

1 Like

He hasn’t grown up. yet let alone be a father

1 Like

absolutely marriage is a piece of paper.
just because you have
the paper signed doesn’t mean it’s a sure thing you guys will be together forever .

marriage is a choice, with or without the paper.
you wake up everyday CHOOSING to be with that person. through the good and the bad.
the piece of paper is realistically just for the government.
he is committing to you even without that paper. you said so yourself. you guys have been together for 5 years, with some littles.
to me that’s commitment.

just my opinion. not everyone else agrees .

1 Like

It’s a commitment. If a person thinks it’s just a piece of paper, and their SO wants that piece of paper, what’s the big deal? That price of paper also ensures a lot of things will happen if something happens to the other person. Things that will be hard to manage without it.

1 Like

Until one of you dies and the other(and kids) are left high and dry. Until you get a badass job with badass insurance and he gets sick :tired_face:

You should tell him it would make YOU happy

A marriage certificate is just a piece of paper but it’s easier than doing all the paperwork to make sure you have medical power of attorney for each other, you are listed as beneficiaries on each others accounts etc… I’m married and i 1000% said it was a piece of paper because we were already committed to each other but having the husband/wife card you can pull in situations is soooo beneficial.

I think the same to be honest, it is just a peice of paper, why get married to prove you love someone? 🤷 But it it can help if anything happens to any of you for insurance etc

2 Likes

Not everyone views marriage as  necessary. Plenty of people have long and loving relationships without being married.

1 Like

Tell him how you feel

2 Likes

The answer to his question is clearly YOU. Why is this all about HIS feelings and perspective?? Why should you have to succumb to what he wants?

4 Likes

IF U R NOT MARRIED N LOVE EACH OTHER N BEEN TOGETHER 4 yrs. BUT JUST DONT WANT 2 GET MARRIED.IT IS AD EASY A PIE 2 TAKE CARE OF THAT .U BOTH GO 2 THE SAME LAWYER HE WILL DRAW UP THE LEAGAL PAPERS.IF EATHER 1 OF U GO TO THE HOSPITAL or PASSAWAY NO 1 CAN STOP U FROM C N EACH OTHER .U CAN KEEP THOSE GREEDY HOGS OUT.U HAVE YOUR OUN CHECK.SAVE.ACCOUNT IF SOMETHING HAPPENS 2 EITHER1 THE OTHER INHERITS THE OTHERS POSSESSIONS.GET 2 A LAWYER HE WILL EXPLAINE EVERYTHING.DO NOT WAIT TILL 1 OF U IS SICK.A BIG RELIEFE OFF YOUR MIND.REMEMBER U DONT HAVE 2 B MARRIED BUT U HAVE 2 DO IT LEAGALY .N ESPECIALLY IF U R THE SAME SEX…C A LAWYER.

Ive been with mine for 13 years and we’re pretty much married but he believes that paper ruins relationships but I felt the same way you did and do… but now I’m like whatever.

Point out the financial side of thing n legal things like medical descions

5 Likes

Make sure both your names are on everything you buy together including house and car so if anything happens to either you don’t have to go thru probate mare sure it say OR between your names…

3 Likes

No because it would make you happy

1 Like

Marriage has legal rights and protects the both of you if something were to happen. With kids it is even more important.

5 Likes

It’s a commitment and marriage bonds 2 people together… otherwise, it’s a fling…

3 Likes

Money, pink slips, homeownership… All pieces of paper, but you wake up everyday and work hard to make it work and get it right.
My ex and I had an 7-8 year relationship and he Never wanted to get married.
My husband and I got married soon after meeting and going on 10 years married.

2 Likes

If it’s just ‘a piece of paper’ then why does he object?? If you’re never married and stay together later in life say example one is clinging to life…the other can’t be involved like a spouse can……it gets put on the kids

4 Likes

Marriage is another governments way to get your money :relaxed:

He is not willing to do what you would like as regards marriage! Does he overlook your wishes in everything?

1 Like

My husband and I were together 14 years before we finally decided to get married. Both of us had bad first marriages.
We’ve been together 26 years now.

1 Like

That piece of paper gives you so many rights! As Diana White mentioned, if you or him were in a serious hospital situation, no rights, NONE. And sure, he can leave everything to you or vice versa, in a POA like Terrie mentioned BUT, been there, if you were not married, the courts look at ‘family’ first. And if that family takes the POA to court, guess who most likely wins? BTW most people don’t think to assign a POA until they are old. … That ‘piece of paper’ gives piece of mind. It shows the other that you’re in it for life. Without that piece of paper, it’s much easier to walk away rather than to work out your problems. It shows your children, love <3

Tell him rather than stew on it and separate later because of it.