My 15-year-old got upset we do not have money for his allowance: Advice?

Psh. allowance. what a privilege.

1 Like

No allowance is no allowance and as long as all children are not getting it its absolutely fine and heā€™ll adjust. You can also use this as an opportunity to teach them how to work outside of the home even if itā€™s mowing lawns. Also teaching them to live within their means and showing sacrifices have to be made from time to time. I truly do however think he doesnā€™t need to know exactly where that child support goes. Yes keep track for yourself but I wouldnā€™t tell him where every penny goes. That isnā€™t for him to take on and worry about. I would however start a checking account and put it in there for him when he gets older, even if itā€™s $5/payment. Heā€™ll appriciate it when heā€™s older. Sorry youā€™re going through this!

I wonder why you had to make it clear at the beginning of your post that he isnā€™t your biological son ? Why is that relevant (you basically raised him i would consider that my son) ā€¦i would give it to him itā€™s only 15.00$

4 Likes

I can not believe how many canā€™t read or comprehend what was read she stated that none of her children are getting allowance now due to financial issues and she stated that he wasnā€™t her bio child so she could explain the child support nothing more its amazing how so many seemed to have missed this part always about judging someone from not reading correctly at all there is nothing in this post that speaks to her treating this child any differently than her others smh

7 Likes

How about this. Its all the same or no one gets anything. And please teach them some gratitude

1 Like

Lmao. Heā€™s a child. If he wants money for working, tell him to get a job. Then he can do what he wants his with money. Meaning his own groceries too. A child should never get allowance for doing basic chores. Chores teach children to clean up after themselves and to help in the household.

If yall reread this post she says sheā€™s paying him for his allowance out of her pocket, not the child support money.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t even count the $80, as if you are using that money to buy his hygiene, specific things? It seems like you donā€™t add it to the familyā€™s income and outcasts him for his only $80 he gets. Might as well give him the $80 so he can manage it himself. Wow.

3 Likes

Honestly your not treating him like your child! Your treating him like a financial job! Maybe you need to reconsider his care. U make him pay for gas? Ans his basic hygiene needs? Do you charge hun for food ans water too! This post is such a trigger and unacceptable ! IF YOU TAKE GURDIAN OF A CHIKD TREAT THEM LIKE YOUR CJILD! How dare you say doesnā€™t belong to you? PATHETIC! You chose to take him in! Do you make your own children pay for their gas or hygiene products? Once again PATHETIC

7 Likes

Do your ā€œbiologicalā€ children pay for their own hygiene and ā€œridesā€ out of their allowance?

No I donā€™t agree that heā€™s entitled to money out of child support, but something seems off here.

4 Likes

She said NONE of the children are getting allowance. And secondly, if she wasnā€™t using the child support money for things like hygiene products, food, his entertainment, etc yā€™all would be bitching that she was misusing the money :roll_eyes: I would calmly tell him to go take his temper tantrum in the other room. No chores, no money, no extras.

No kid should get a allowanceā€¦u provideā€¦food,shelter,clothes,elec,water, THAT IS THEIR ALLOWANCEā€¦
They need to learn life lessons I NEVER GOT PAID FOR CHORES NOR DO MY KIDS but sure never went withoutā€¦
And that kid IS URS just bc he isnā€™t biological urs does not make a difference u and ur husband agreed to adopt him when he was a baby MAKING HIM URS he should get the same as the other childrenā€¦there is probably alot running threw that childā€™s head and sounds like u make it very well known heā€™s not biological urs when that should NEVER be the caseā€¦

2 Likes

Some of you people obviously cannot readā€¦.

2 Likes

All of you should be working. A fifteen can get a few hours at aDairy Queen and chores are done by all. Allowances are outdated. Kids need to have chores and not expect to get cash. I would give the kids money for good behavior instead.

1 Like

I would laugh. I am an all boy Mom of 4. None of ours get an allowance. They do get extra privileges for doing their chore. Each one has one (except for the baby.)

He is 15 now you tell him if he want money go get a summer job and make his own money.

3 Likes

Lol.
I never got an ā€œallowanceā€ growing up. Chores are keeping a house that everyone lives in clean. No one is going to pay you as an adult to keep your room / house clean , so why would a kid get paid to keep their room/ house clean?
Goodness, the entitlement is wild .

Why yā€™all bashing her??

2 Likes

Tell him youā€™ll be glad to pay him for his slave labor then charge the shit out of him for room, board, food, plus everything elseā€¦give him a bill day balance is HES OWES YOUā€¦that will shut him up.

he can work my 14 year old has a job

This post is very confusing. I re read it several times because I was so mad at the mom at first. I mean, who says to their child, ā€œyou owe me $2.50 for your right guard deodorant??ā€
Butā€”I think the original poster was only saying ā€œheā€™s not oursā€ to explain WHY he is the only child that gets child support. I must say I couldnā€™t see telling my daughter every time she needs a tampon, ā€œoh you owe me a nickel!ā€ Like itā€™s a vending machine?!?
It sounds like deeper issues. You two should sit down with all the kids in an open forum family style meeting and get to the bottom of things. Also-everywhere on this planet is hiring desperately right now. Tell the kids to work and help themselves. I hope you and your husband find employment very soon.

4 Likes

Tell him what the " child support" pays for.

Iā€™m a bit confused, who was getting an allowance before? Your biological kids or all of the kids including the one you are legal guardian to?

Put a belt to his rear end. It will benefit you later.

2 Likes

He does chores because he lives there too.

None of the other kids are getting an allowance.

His ā€œallowanceā€ is that PlayStation subscription. It isnā€™t like he is getting nothing.

I donā€™t pay my kids to do their chores. However, theyā€™ll get things throughout the month that they want (special treats, candy, slushees, roblox card, PlayStation subscription, etc). I never got paid to do my chores either.

4 Likes

:woman_facepalming: heā€™s lucky he got any in the first place! When I was growing up I got an allowanceā€¦ I was allowed to have food to eat, allowed to have a place to sleep, and allowed to have clothes to wear :joy:

2 Likes

Sit down together write out a resume print multiple copyā€™s and when he gets a job he wonā€™t have to worry about doing work for free. Problem solved.

5 Likes

You nĆØed to kick there fuckn arses kids these days need to grow up and fuckn wake a world donā€™t revolve are round them
If they are nothingā€™ but a brat

I hope he doesnā€™t feel the way this made me feel when I read it.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s not right do you make your own biological kids pay for gas, hygiene products and game subscriptions out of their allowance? Seems to me he has a right to be upset because he is being treated different then the other kids. The child support you get is to help with his costs. Itā€™s not right for you make him buy his own hygiene products, pay for your gas or any of that. Yā€™all not having a job is your own faults. Literally everyone is hiring. Thereā€™s no excuse. If your going to make that boy pay for his own things and your gas then you need to do the same to your biological kids. Itā€™s only right!

8 Likes

The fact that you started out the post stating he isnā€™t biologically yours gives the impression that you donā€™t treat him like you do your other children. Whether heā€™s biologically yours or not heā€™s been in your care since 18 months old and should be treated exactly like your other children and if heā€™s not then resolve that issue immediately. If they get an allowance he should too if you canā€™t afford it right now thatā€™s understandable but no one should be getting it if thatā€™s the case. Honestly you need to do do better and if you canā€™t maybe thereā€™s other family who will.

7 Likes

Using the support for gas to see his friends?
Are you deducting gas money from ā€œyour ā€œ kids allowance when they want to see their friends?

3 Likes

You all just look for something to be rude about. She had to say he wasnā€™t hers biological to explain his child supportā€¦ how else would she have done that? She says them and when I went to school them meant pluralā€¦. So he is her son who is throwing a fit cause he wants money. Chores are their way of helping out the household we donā€™t do allowance. I do extra chores for extra money but thatā€™s only if and when I can afford it. Keep it fair explain it to him but no matter what he is gonna be mad. He is 15ā€¦ good luck

Teens are dramatic. But I would have your husband and him go and do yard work as means to help that situation on top of anything your whole family may need (if possible anyway) your husband could take on a role model position and show him how to make it happen so maybe heā€™ll mature a little more.

1 Like

Do you and your husband even make him feel like part of the family? Why are you and your husband not working are yall disable? Because it is plenty jobs out there? Yall got to be paying yall bills some how. As a legal guardian you shouldnā€™t treat the 15 year old as a outcast or a scrub. You need to go to child support and see if you can get more money for him, $80 is better than nothing but why is the father just paying that a month, no one can live off of that. Go to your local dfacs office and apply for government assistance for him and the dad would have to pay it back. You can raise a child on $80 a month. If he is older enough to get a part time job he could have his own spending money. If his dad is getting social security you can go to that office and put in for a check off his dad income. There are so many options here. Try them. But out of $80 you are charging him gas money to carry him to see his friends. Come on now, would you wanting somebody saying this about your kids if they had to raise them for yall, or treating them like this. Check the options out that I told you and have a heart. You never know what life brings it could be your kids being under a legal guardian.

2 Likes

Ok soā€¦this is how I would handle itā€¦explain to him that the $ is used for his everyday needsā€¦he is welcome to the $ but these are the items that need to be purchased before he gets to buy anything else.
Shampoo, body wash, toothpaste, shaving cream, any other toiletries he needs and he needs to set x amount a side for gas to see his friendsā€¦.see whatā€™s left (if any) and thatā€™s his $ to spend as he pleasesā€¦the issue is most teens these days donā€™t understand how much things cost until they have to spend their $ on itā€¦

5 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing in this post that says she isnā€™t treating him like the other 2 kids. She cut ALL kidā€™s allowances. The boy thinks he should be treated differently than the other 2 and STILL get his allowance since his bio dad pays $80/month.

8 Likes

Heā€™s a teenager they are all hard to deal with lol give him the $80 and make him pay for the gas the subscription and everything else that he wants/ needs. Let him learn how little of an amount that money isļæ¼. Kids donā€™t understand. To him thatā€™s a lot. ļæ¼

5 Likes

Kids here asked for an allowance and I asked them when can they pay for rent,utilities,food etcā€¦and when I showed them what their discounted share was compared to what I pay out monthly they quieted right downā€¦of course they are younger.

1 Like

Ask for more child support . The minimum in florida is $37 a week if someone donā€™t have a job . You have had him since Infancy which means he is your kid just not biological.

Taking money from his child support for gas to drive him places is wrong. Do you charge your 3 children for gas to see their friends? Do you make them pay for their bath products? Start treating him the same as your children.

5 Likes

The allowance isnā€™t the part that gets me here. Why do you have to point out that he isnā€™t your biological child? You have had him since he was 18 months old. You essentially charge him for gas when you take him places . I would take a guess this isnā€™t the only way he is treated differently than your biological children. You shouldnā€™t have taken in a child if you couldnā€™t afford to do so without the $80 child support.

YTA

8 Likes

Do you treat him EXACTLY the same as the others?

Let him keep talking lol Iā€™m sure it does suck and it feels unfair and itā€™s important to validate what our kids are feeling even if we think itā€™s ridiculous. but thatā€™s just how it is right now yā€™all are doing the best you can. He will survive for a while without it.

I do not see unfairness here. None of your children are getting an allowance because you are both out of work. I believe you do treat him fairly like heā€™s your child. I think by saying heā€™s not your bio child you were explaining the dynamic of your family, this a child support check from his father. Thereā€™s no way that $80 a month can cover all the things a child needs. So you chose to alot it to extras instead of the necessities.
Heā€™s 15. Heā€™s pushing boundaries to see if you break. He will continue to push boundaries for awhile. Reassure him that heā€™s part of your family no matter how he became yours. Explain to him your situation. The $80 now is needed for survival of the family. When your financial situation changes you will go back to the previous arrangement. Until then heā€™s welcome to get a job mowing lawns or sacking groceries etc.
I am a parent and a step parent. Iā€™ve heard it all. I love my kids more than my step kids. I love my step kids more than my own kids. Little did then know it understand, I loved them all, I sacrificed my wants so they all could have theirs.
I wished people would read your post before forming an opinion. Are you a perfect parent? No youā€™re human and doing the best you can.
Best to you and your family.

5 Likes

Look if you want an opinion I just can say your parenting skills are your own parenting skill. If you just legal guardian and donā€™t want to obey rules from the house, just return him to his biological parents or give him to the system back. Because if he canā€™t be greatful for the little things he can have and do sorry to say this he should not live under that household. And for many people here giving advices everyone has their own parenting skills that either work or donā€™t work so you abide of what you know!

6 Likes

Stop cooking. Tell him your not getting paid

2 Likes

When I was younger my family never ever gave me an allowance.

When I was 16 I was forced by my family to get a job ever since then Iā€™ve been slaving my life away for every penny I have.

I even had some friends ask me if my family gave me money to go out.

They were shocked I never got money to go out Iā€™ll never forget the day.

Some people come from a silver spoon but not me.

I even paid all my own college loans that were about 18 thousand dollars

1 Like

My kids get a house, water, food, clothes etc. They donā€™t get paid to help maintain the home we all live in.

4 Likes

People like you should not take in children. If you take in a child you are to treat them like you would any biological child. If your giving your biological children an allowance you need to do the same for the other child. The 15 year old has every right to be angry and lash out at you. ļæ¼

4 Likes

I have several opinions on this my friend has 5 kid 4 biological and 1 stepdaughter who she has custody of and he dad passed away several years ago and I promise you she has never and never would say that girl is not her that child adores her mom to her she is her mom ever since she was 2 and my second part is my son is autistic 16 and works a full time job full time student and is in marching band maybe your son should get a part time job yes I said that correctly he is your son not only will it give him money and responsibilities it will teach him about life and the value of a dollar for the record my son doesnā€™t ask me about money anymore

1 Like

You charge him for gas and his hygiene Iā€™m sorry but thatā€™s wrong
You took him into care as guardians heā€™s your responsibility your child
That money is for him
Shame on you

4 Likes

I cant even, YOUVE HAD THIS BOY SINCE 18 MONTHS, how dare you even bring up the fact he isnā€™t biologically yours, SICK. Idc whoever has what to say about. You should be ashamed to single him out like that, i am a permanent guardian to MY 3 year old ive had since birth and there is nothing different between him and my 9 month old i birthed those boys are MINE. Im sorry i feel sorry for him.

11 Likes

Let my kid tell me that :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Iā€™ll give them the number. Chores is illegal :rofl::rofl::rofl: boy sit your tail down before I sit you down

1 Like

Tell him that makes up for his room and board. Also put price tags on food. Then he can work off his food credits with chores.

I all so have had foster children and treat as our own. But, this situation I think he should go around to find lawn care jobs or anything near bye. Chores in my opinion are part of a family working together.

2 Likes

Taking money for gas out of the child support to take him places is obsurd. You took on legal guardianship, that means you pay for everything!! That $80/mo should go towards supporting him yes, but gas? Come on. Also, allowance for chores is a privilege, not every household does this. So Iā€™d explain to him that none of them are getting allowances right now and once there is extra money to spend it will start back up, as long as chores are getting done. It is not child labor/slavery lol he resides in the home, he helps out. Thatā€™s entitlement at its finest.

6 Likes

Do you not get child tax? If the chil liges woth you full time youā€™re eligible to claim. Furthermore thereā€™s grants for foster parents and for parents who adopt. Call your local mp amd see what you can apply for. But if you took this child in full time HES YOUR CHILD if the father pays support it should be court ordered so itā€™s a viable amount to care for the child. If this child is seen as different from your children thatā€™s theybe grown up with for 14 years maybe you should have a conversation with the father about whatā€™s best for the child. I grew up in a home where I was treated differently than the rest and let me tell you the mental trauma and years of therapy that left me with. Iā€™m 33 and still struggle to believe anyone could actually care about me and I wasnā€™t just a dollar sign to them. What kills the most is you keep saying MY KID MY KID MY KID but weā€™re very clear to emphasize heā€™s not yours biologically and that should be a factor in being treated different? I could never adopt a child and treat them differently. You are the poster child for the foster moms kids like us fired ending up withā€¦you should look less at the childā€™s fit and more at whatā€™s causing it. Especially if you have him doing a bunch around the house so you donā€™t have to. Are chores split between everyone all 3 kids AND adults? Or are the kids you live in Cinderellas? Yes kids need to do chores for values but YOU have to teach them to know their worth and that work done earns a reward. An outing at YOUR cost (kids shouldnā€™t have to pay for putting or gas for outings or fuel to see friends now and thenā€¦youā€™re duty as a parent is to help them grow mentally physically and SOCIALLY. As thankful as I would be to have a home to grow up in I would be suicidal having things thrown as me explained as MY KIDS AND YOU. way to make him feel unwanted unloved and unvaluedā€¦just to add we just moved provinces Iā€™m fighting to get dissability here that I had granted as permanent payment in my other province. So Iā€™m on a welfare income holding up a house sports outings for two kids and paying support to a thirdā€¦reach out to your community thereā€™s help if you reach out for it. But clearly youā€™re more qorried about qhat you get to do while broke then their continued quality of life (which child tax should be able to cover) I have two kids in my care so I donā€™t get much. But budgeting and accesses programs make me able to get by by the skin of my teeth on everything else yes I miss out but my kids donā€™t need to feel my financial hardships.

1 Like

When you start paying your bio kids their allowance I feel you should also pay him his allowance too. Find a way.

Well youā€™ve made it a habit for them to have an allowance. So to him it feels like heā€™s being punished for doing what he is supposed to do. Because thatā€™s what happens when you give someone something over and over, they begin to expect it. Now you have the difficult task of undoing that thought process and reteaching him.

1 Like

Lol I never had an allowance :man_shrugging:t4:

Se of you need to read with UNDERSTANDING. Notice she refers to the kid in question as ā€œMY 15yrs oldā€ā€¦she mentioned him not being there biological child just to give a background. She went on to day she has 3kids and gives them $15 a week. The 3 kids includes the 15yrs old. Llowance had to stop because they are not working, all the kids but the 15yrs old do not agree and is demanding to be given the allowance.

Nowhere did this woman said the 15yrs old never got allowance.

I donā€™t agree with her charging him for gas buy she using his child support money to buy hygiene products is just about right. Itā€™s a part of supporting the child right?! Smh, yall just quick to chastise others.

2 Likes

The only issue I see is the kids are divided. Just bc the teen is not biologically yours doesnā€™t mean said kid should be treated any different. If one gets an allowance the others should as well. Do you take out hygiene etc from their allowance?
Either pay them all or none at all.

2 Likes

Um that IS your child. You have had him since he was a baby! So what if he is throwing a fit about it, he is a 15 year testing his limits he will get over it. He can go get his own job and make money for himself. They should be taught to help in the house not just for money but because they need to do their part in maintenance of the house.

3 Likes

And I know as a guardianship you get paid by the state too. Not just his dads child support.

2 Likes

People need to learn how to read. She doesnā€™t charge him for gas or hygiene products. She uses the child support. Thatā€™s what itā€™s for. The child support isnā€™t his money, itā€™s to help support him. $80 a month doesnā€™t go far, especially for a teenager.

24 Likes

First, I want to say that allowance is not mandatory. As Iā€™m sure you know. My kids donā€™t get an allowance for doing their part. They live here, they can help keep it clean. Especially with a family of 5 (same as you) I need the help. Period.
Butā€¦. What bothers me about this post is that you use the child support to drive him to friends and pay for hygiene products. I get it. I do. That money is meant to be used to help with finances for ANYTHING the child may need. I completely understand. BUTā€¦ heā€™s a child. Maybe pay him a little of the child support and maybe you, as a parent could purchase his hygienic products on your own? He is older. $15 a week for a 15yr old is nothing. And Iā€™m not saying he deserves it. Iā€™m just pointing out the facts. I donā€™t know how old your other children are, but if there is a big age difference you might want to reevaluate the $ you give them for allowance and make sure itā€™s fair. As Iā€™m sure if he is the oldest, heā€™s most likely doing more, and more complex chores.

1 Like

This family needs some counseling, the parents for their resentment of this child and the child for abandonment/carrying the blame for his existence from these guardians.

Why is the child support being used for his hygiene products canā€™t you pay for that yourself? Just because he isnā€™t yours legally does not mean he should be treated differently I get we all fall on hard times but explain what the money is used for and give him an option do you want your playstation subscription this month or do you want the money to go hang with friends therefore he also has a say.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t have the money for an allowance, maybe suggest the oldest get a part time job. Especially if he wants his Play Station subscriptions. If he wants things that costs money, he needs to learn that he has to work for it. Itā€™s a life lesson, and itā€™s a part of raising kids.

3 Likes

Child slavery? :joy: wow Iā€™d make him sit down and watch a video about child slavery. These kids have no clue how good they have it. He lives in that house right? Then he should help do house duties and not expect anything. If you do his laundry ask him for your payment because that shouldnā€™t be free (just an example) he should be understanding about your situation and not throw a fit like a toddler. Kids these days are very entitled. The world is not a very forgiving place. When my kids wanted to throw a fit because they didnā€™t have this or thatā€¦ or complain that they didnā€™t have the newest pair of $200 shoes I took them to down town ft worth and let them see the hundreds of tents that line the streets with homeless people accompanying them. The lines that wrap the building at the homeless shelter just so they can get a hot meal. The trash everywhere and the sadness. It was a huge wake up call for them and still to this day they remember them and what they saw.

Every child needs to learn respect if you dis agree donā€™t bring them to mycafe

I hope this is a joke.
My 15 year read this and said " Cinderella vibes"

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if labor laws are different from state to state but here 15 year olds are allowed to work certain (restricted) hours. Given the minimum wage here he could make $15 in two hours of work.

I would be pissed too if you werenā€™t giving me my money period on top of that,Iā€™ve lived with you pretty much my whole life and Iā€™m still not accepted as if I was your own child. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Give him the whole $80 then charge him rent, lights, water, food and tell him he needs to get a job because now he owes you moneyļæ¼. My daughter is 14 and with everywhere hiring right now she got a job the same day she applied and is forever being asked to work extra hours. If he wants some more money thereā€™s a great way to go get it especially a 15 year oldļæ¼ļæ¼

He pays for his own hygiene products? Oh hell no!

8 Likes

Lmao you came right out with ā€œheā€™s not oursā€ so I can only assume you make him pay for gas and things but not your actual kids, you and your husband could easily find a job itā€™s a choice at this point, itā€™s all fun and games til he tells a school counselor they will question why you make him pay for certain things and not your kids if the school feels thatā€™s heā€™s not being treated like a regular family member they will get cps involved and find a temporary placement especially if he tells them heā€™s being treated differently than the bio kids

6 Likes

The fact that you HAD to mention he isnā€™t yours even though he IS since he was 18 months just comes to show that you definitely treat him different. And it sounds like your charging him for his hygiene products! When you should be providing that for him anyway. If your other kids are getting it and heā€™s not, you guys are messed up :rage:

23 Likes

Start with smashing his play station

1 Like

I meanā€¦ heā€™s 15. If he wants access to money to spend how he wants have him get a job after school. Then maybe heā€™ll understand how money actually works and just how little far it goes!

3 Likes

Lol the only allowance we got was we were allowed to live in the householdā€¦ we were functioning members of the family and the chores were everyoneā€™s job. We donā€™t do allowance at my house now and Iā€™ve got 4 littles. Heā€™d be going without allowance for awhile or never get it back, just on principle if he were mine. Yā€™all are out if work so thereā€™s NO extraā€¦ if he canā€™t be compassionate and understanding during a rough spotā€¦ allowance is a privilege not a need :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

So you use your money for your bio kids, but he only gets the $80 and part of that is gas? Youā€™ve had him since he was a baby, Iā€™m guess he probably is starting to see inequities and it getting hurt.

6 Likes

Uhhhhmm. You charge your other kids gas too or?

11 Likes

Lol definitely go with the gentle parenting response, I myself donā€™t have a 15 year old Ihave a 5&3 year old. but took in my brother at that age, heā€™s now 18 and been through all this. He only got allowance when heā€™d do his chores and NOT miss school. There was a point I had a large vet bill and couldnā€™t pay an allowance for a couple months. He too had a very entitled attitude and it humbled tf out of him knowing the value of a dollar, not only did he have to get a job but for one week I had things labeled with fees, tv and ps with the use of internet? $2 an hour, open the fridge for a snack $0.50 I didnā€™t want to actually take his money so I set it aside for the week but trust me when he asks for money now and say i donā€™t have it, I donā€™t hear a single huff from him. Also make him watch a documentary about child slavery and humble him really cause thatā€™s a shitty thing to say when there are real child slaves out there. Hell I never got money for chores myself when I was younger, I did chores just to live there, damn. Then started paying bills at 13 and taking care of my brother cause my mum had an accident. Humble that child now or the world will in the shittiest of ways

Sounds more like your kid needs an arse whooping js :man_shrugging:t4:

Yā€™all are letting that little boy control yā€™all. You are the adult. Act like it.

3 Likes

Its hard for him to understand. Especially when he is resentful and closed minded about itā€¦. donā€™t keep repeating yourself. He knows the whyā€™s and why notsā€¦ just try to give him a little more attention. Hugs he may act like he doesnā€™t want. Make sure he feels a part of the family. Especially with your kids. You do your best and hopefully he will grow up and open his eyes and heart

And some places are hiring at 15 years js

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry that heā€™s being so entitled. I never really got an allowance growing up; I also never wanted for anything I needed. I may not have gotten everything I wanted at the moment I wanted it; but life goes on. He needs to understand that if he wants certain things then that takes money from other areas. Have him make up a budget. See if he could run a household on that budget. Throw some extra fun things in like job loss or unexpected medical or car repairs just for fun.

Heā€™s acting out because he is confused to his living situation, not being with his real parents, and deep down he wants to be with his real Dad. It doesnā€™t matter that you love him or treat him the same as your other kids. Iā€™m not sure of your situation or what the real parents are discussing with him, let him consider going to live with them for a while because there will always be a problem and maybe heā€™ll learn to appreciate you more

2 Likes

Itā€™s weird you make him pay for hygiene products ā€¦

24 Likes

Welcome to adulthood. When he eats, take a bite and let him knowā€¦taxes!!

2 Likes

An allowance is not a childs right. Its generosity from the parent. Kids will always feel hard done by, trust me iv raised 6 of the :poop:s now that there adults and out in the real world they soon realized how tough and expensive it is out there. Tell the child to get a part time job. My kids had to if they wanted stuff. Lifes not free and kids have a false sense of entitlement and they are selfish its about learning. Do not feel bad or let yourself be bullied.

2 Likes

Your money issues arenā€™t his problemā€¦and making him pay to be taken places is unfair. Probably best he find a job doing yard work or walking dogs. The fact that you felt compelled to differentiate between biological non biological children is hella gross.

41 Likes

First of all, you negative nancies need to chillā€¦

I think she distinguished that we wasnā€™t hers biologically so that when she said she gets $80 per month from bio dad everyone would understandā€¦ and for the ones who think sheā€™s only the kidā€™s guardian for the moneyā€¦ $80 per month doesnā€™t come close to feeding the kid much less clothing housing and paying for extra stuffā€¦ totally not worth it if you donā€™t love the kid.

She said none of her 3 kids (at this point sheā€™s including the 15 yo) are getting the allowance right now so sheā€™s not treating the 15 yo any different.

As for advice to the posterā€¦ he should still be doing his chores or you should stop doing anything other than basic careā€¦ no friends, no subscription to play station, etc. helping around the house when he lives there and uses it is life skills the kid needs anyway. And the fact heā€™s throwing a tantrum after you were open about financial struggles shows that he is already spoiled and feels entitled. No better time to nip that in the bud than now!

12 Likes

you should grow a pair and be a parent. Thatā€™s life, tell him too damn bad times are hard at the moment and if he likes those extra things he took for granted before that he should get to work, go mow lawns etc. but throwing a fit bc mom and dad canā€™t afford it right now but always provided heā€™s needs is just ridiculous and probably time anyways he start learning the value of money. you donā€™t get paid to do chores. if all three of them arenā€™t getting the allowance then he isnā€™t either, heā€™s no different. time to grow up some

So this is a tricky one. We will not be giving our kids in allowance because doing chores is part of being a family my opinion. We will give them the opportunity to do jobs outside of the house that we can assist with. And I understand not having the extra money however however if you have raised him since he was a baby he should have the same privileges as the others. So if the others get an allowance I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to single him out if youā€™ve taken him in as your own. Again I donā€™t believe in allowances but to each their own however I could see his frustration.

How Horrible.

You took him in at 18 months. Youā€™ve raised him and somehow 15 years later it would seem as if heā€™s not one of the family. Lady, this boy IS yours. Treat him the same as you would your others. Add the $80 to your household funds and donā€™t look back. Calculating and separating is unfair to this boy.
Treat ALL your kids the same.

20 Likes

He is reacting how a teenager would but YOUR detailed separation of him to you and your family is disgusting and infuriating tbh. You should never show partiality to kids biologically yours or not when all from the start you chose to take him when he was 18 months old! The rest is horse sh!+ā€¦

6 Likes