Has anyone tried gastric bypass?

Do it! I did lost 130 pd s feel great went from size 20 to size 2 you will not regret it!

I had gastric sleeve and it helped tremendously. Bypass Iā€™d only recommend if you have over 100lbs to lose.

My friend had it. And she has looked good and at a good weight for 15 years. It made a huge difference in her emotional health and her physical abilities. Do what you doc sez.

I have a friend that had it and did great,but you must stick to the diet

5 weeks out and itā€™s the best decision Iā€™ve ever made! I am happy to answer any questions you have! DM me!

PCOS, overweight/obese all my life.

I know several people who have had it and all but one gained it back. Try Intermittent fasting, low carb. You will be amazed at how well it works and you arenā€™t hungry doing it. Check out Chris Caster on FB.

Try this group:

Best decision I ever made

Before you do surgery research and ask your doctor Bout wegovy! My doctor gave me a prescription for it. You inject it yourself. I have lost 10 pounds in one week!!! In the studies people are dropping 40 pounds minimum a month with diet change and exercise which I have done.

Daughter in law had it it. Worked for her

Not very good thereā€™s a lot of things I didnā€™t realize when I had it done I didnā€™t know that you canā€™t keep earning your body number no matter how much iron medicine you were taking will not stay in your body so you have to get infusions only lost probably about 70 pound that my sugar is that never been up since I had the surgery so good luck to you whatever you decide

See a dietitian.dont let them cut you

Imo, eating healthy food should be the focus. By healthy, I mean whole grains, lean meats (& not even every day), more legumes like lentils & black beans, & more organic fruits & veggies in season. Buy foods that are non-gmo bc they are not natural. Exercise like walking is important, but to me isnā€™t the main thing. Iā€™m disabled due to Rheumatoid Arthritis & canā€™t be as active as I would wish, but have kept my weight down by being disciplined about my diet & doing as much as possible to move around & not be sedentary.
This book by Dr Ian Smith, Fast Burn, helped me a lot with sorting out good food options even though I canā€™t possibly do the exercises! Itā€™s kind of funny, but I learned that the food is more important than an exercise regime, yet the book does definitely focus on exercise :woman_shrugging:
I should add that eating real food has helped me have noticeably less inflammation in my joints. When I eat sugary foods, I canā€™t use my hands, in fact my left index finger doesnā€™t work at all. Iā€™m wondering since you have PCOS, if you might just feel better overall with a consistent change in diet?

3 Likes

My mother almost died from it and itā€™s a scary process. If you decide so thorough research on your doctor

Itā€™s a life style change. Go to a counselor before I do it. Iā€™ve had close friends die from it

My sister died from it. They cut her bowels and it killed her. Be aware of all the risks

I had the gastric bypass surgery 4 yrs ago I have pcos I had acid reflux but sent my surgery not had an problem at all I had surgery Bc I had High blood pressure high cholesterol diabetic almost had one but I need an insulin but my doctor recommended me to have the surgery to see if it would help me and two days after my surgery I came up completely all my medications only medication I am on now is my medical card and I take Seroquel for her milligrams at bedtime

2 Likes

Try the fast metabolism diet by Halie Pomroy it works and is sustainable

Im 10 yrs post. Ran a support group many yearsā€¦ message me privately

Have you tried a medically supervised weight loss program? With nutritional support and counseling? Sounds like a lot, but it is hard work to lose weight for some. Donā€™t be discouraged!! Many people I know have tried this route and it changed their life for the worse. Either way you have to be willing and determined to have this process change you, your outlook and your way of life . Definitely cause to hit the pause button

My sister had the surgery several years ago. She initially lost all the weight that she wanted but slowly over time has gained most of it back. It has caused several health problems the first being the acid reflux ate all of the enamel off her teeth and they were turning black. She had to have all of her teeth pulled at 37 years old and now has dentures. The second issue that she is constantly in the ER for pancreatitis caused by the after effects of the surgery. From just seeing what she has had to go through, I would advise against it.

4 Likes

My daughter also has pcos. Whatever you decide my heart is with you

Check out BRIGHT LINE EATING.

Where are you located look up Dr Jason Radacke aka Dr Dr. Rad MD

I use a natural herb to help me kerb my sugar cravings and keep me on track. Have a look at berberine. It is a natural way to manage sugar. If you can get in top of that you might begin to see progress on weightloss.

Gastric bypass saved my life. However there have been many many negative side effects to this surgery. I am severely anemic, and have had to have blood transfusions and now regular trips to my local hospita surgery center to have iron transfusions. I had to have n emergency gall bladder removal and through the first 4 years post bypass I suffered with repeated ulcers, one of which perforated and caused sepsis within my abdominal cavity. This was the closest to death I have ever been and a terrifying and horribly painful experience. I lost a total of 225 lbs since 2015. I was considered a slow loser mainly because I had a hard time eating solid food. I still struggle with pork and chicken, but this is improving as my anemia improves. I lost ALOT of hair and it never fully came back in as thick despite taking all my vitamins and recommended biotin etc. There WILL be a massive amount of lose skin. My advice any time someone asks about this surgery is to exhaust EVERY single other possible avenue before deciding to rearrange your internal organs. I mean you REALLY put your ALL into those avenues, because having his surgery isnā€™t just a diet. Itā€™s not something you get to decide you donā€™t like and stop. Your body will be changed forever and you donā€™t get to go back. Good luck.

5 Likes

FDA approved ozempic for weight loss in June. Itā€™s for diabetics at first and is not insulin. Matter of fact it makes you feel full. I am off insulin down 42 pounds since February. I did not even realize what was happening. Talk with doc. I truly believe this is like lap band because of the fullness. Good luck :+1:

My vote goes to ā€œTrim Healthy Mamaā€

Yes_I had gastric sleeve surgery a year ago and lost 238lbs.in less than a year and I would strongly recommend it the best thing I have ever done for myself if I had to have had it to do all over again I would do it in a heartbeat.Strongly recommend it but it doesnā€™t stop there itā€™s a lifetime commitment and I have yo take vitamins for the test of my life but that and watching my diet is just s small price to pay for my excellent results.

Try the 75 Hard Challenge

Donā€™t cut into yourself. Watch Dr. Eric Westman. He has helped patients for gastric lose weight for the operation and they donā€™t need it after his way of eating. He is with Duke University. It will be normal eating. Gastric works for a few years. Learn that we have been misguided since the 50ā€™s. Also watch Diet Doctors ( hate the name) on YouTube

1 Like

Greatest thing I ever did!

My daughter sister and niece all had it done with no problems

I have PCOS. South Beach Diet worked for me. It was really hard for me at first because my cravings were so strong and weight loss was initially slow. My body started to feel better within a few days, but I still felt crabby for the first few weeks. The weight came off quicker after the first month- must have something to do with insulin response. Anyway, itā€™s something I really had to commit to, but I feel so much healthier. My skin looks better and my clothes fit nicely over my new shape. I will probably never be able to eat a high carb diet again- I just donā€™t feel well and the weight came back on quickly. Youā€™re so young and gastric has serious side effects. I would really commit to a low carb/ low sugar diet for several months first.

I had it in 2008. Iā€™ve lost 260lbs all together. I donā€™t regret the surgery and I would do it again but it does change ur life, the way u eat & ur health. I am now anemic, lactose intolerant, hypoglycemic and even 12yrs later I still have to watch what I eat. Please do ur research and talk to all ur doctors before u make that decision. My husband had the sleeve a couple of years ago and lost over 100lbs.

3 Likes

Try intermittent fasting. :slightly_smiling_face:

Check in with different types of doctors, try to change what makes you want to eat before surgery. Iā€™ve lost weight just by getting insulin and watching what I eat. Pcos is difficult but you can get better with diet changes

I had it done, no issues and doing great. Iā€™ve lost over 200 pounds

5 Likes

If you are a guy check your testosterone, if low use prescription supplements, pounds melt away. Cholesterol drops to normal, no PSA issues. Beats depression too. A European study demonstrated men on testosterone after some time have same results as those with bariatric surgery.
Iā€™m proof of it at 71. Almost 20 years on HRT.
Consider OTC complete amino acids too.

Try fasting 2days a week keep active

One of my friends had the bypass, two had the ā€œsleeve.ā€ They initially lost weight - but over the following two years, lift your little they all gained their weight back and in some cases, gained additional pounds. Two of them have gastrointestinal issues caused by the surgery, and all three are not able to absorb iron and need iron infusions. They also have issues with absorbing different foods and have chronic diarrhea. Please consider a healthier alternative.

11 Likes

Best thing I ever did. 15 years ago weighted 270 lost 110. Have gained a little but I am sure it saved my life. Would do it again in a New York minute.

3 Likes

I am 5.5 months post op and im 54kgs down. I had the gastric sleeve and had a textbook recovery and have dramatically changed my eating habits and lifestyle. You need to be prepared for what is to come after. You will have good and bad days and you will need to learn how to eat again and what is good and bad for you. You need to be psychologically ready for this change. If you arenā€™t ready mentally, the surgery will not help. Also, depending on how big you start at, you may also need skin removal surgery for the excess as you are loosing weight so rapidly, you need to be prepared for that too.

8 Likes

Donā€™t do it! Try researching Dr Berg on YouTube. He does healthy keto dietā€¦ it only takes a few days and you will not be hungry or having cravings. Itā€™s really awesome! Try it!

8 Likes

Try eating like you had the surgeryā€¦ your going to have to make life changes either way. Eat to survive vs eating for comfort. Drop bread, sugar, limit caffeine. Youā€™d be surprised.

10 Likes

learn to love your beautiful self just as you are :heart:

1 Like

You are so young, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about your age, insulin resistance is part of the reason you struggle to lose weight, look up healthy PCOS on Facebook and research insulin resistance aswell, find a doctor that will do a food allergy/intolerance testing for you, refined sugar and carbs are your enemy with PCOS, I instantly lose weight when I reduce those, it takes a while to find a new way of eating but it does work :heart:

5 Likes

Donā€™t do it my friend died from having a gastric bypass

My mom is in horrible shape after.

Surprised the doctor didnā€™t try phentermine first.

Slightly slanted, but Do you know what kind of PCOS you have? There are four main types and you can go in for testing and treatment from a good endocrinologist and nutritionist, thatā€™s really helped me a lot as a bridge between normal diets and full blown surgery. I didnā€™t know these things until I was well into adulthood because doctors didnā€™t really talk about it with me past pushing birth control and surgery.

If you get the surgery I hope it goes really well for you!! Stella Williams is on YouTube as sheā€™s recovering from hers and so far sheā€™s really happy with it :heart:

Two of my friends had this done. The only downside both of them had was hair thinning and hair loss

There is a PCOS group here on Facebook that has ways to help you lose weight naturally if you want to go that route I have PCOS myself and have lost 45lbsjust by following the the tips there. Itā€™s a great thing to look into! Especially if you ever want to conceive since PCOS can cause issues with that as well. It took me 9yrs to have a baby but it all changed when I joined that group :heart: I now have a 4month old. I would definitely look into it

My daughter had it done , lose the weight and most of her hair, it never grew back. She followed all the drs orders. She was 20 when she did it. Then yrs later , ate a little more and more , all her weight came back. This time sheā€™s 40. Good diet exercise and lost more weight then the surgery.

Have you tried metformin?

Check out the keto diet itā€™s great for pcos and itā€™s the only thing that has truly worked for me. Like you I conatiplayed surgery glad I found keto before I did.

I am 14 years outā€¦ Although I lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off about 4 years later I developed serious health issues that are now life longā€¦. Please think it through and consult drs and get second opinions

1 Like

Portion control. If you eat 500 calories less than your daily caloric intake youā€™ll loose 1lb a week. In 2 years I lost 100 lbs. 335-235. Iā€™m also over 60 if I can do it anyone can. Good luck

I have no information on that. But I do know a few ā€œbiggerā€ that have done a belly buster diet and have had amazing results. Some people loosing 3 stone in a month. Drop me a pm if you want to know anything more about it xx

1 Like

Check ask dr about getting sleeve I know everyone that had sleeve let weight off and and I believe safer that gastric which could be dangerous

My mother had it and developed complications. She died a year and a half later. It destroyed her life. But I hear that is rare.

Ok u need to research itā€¦itā€™s a new way of lifeā€¦at ur age itā€™s gonna be a long road cuz u can gain it bakā€¦I had it at 40yrā€¦went throu barix treatment centerā€¦I would recommend checkin into them apposed to just goin any whereā€¦I kno alot of people that went else where had complationsā€¦or gained it bakā€¦u hav help at all times throu themā€¦I did it glad I did but if u donā€™t follow the plan it wonā€™t workā€¦do ur research firstā€¦

Stay far away its not worth it I have had 5 surgeries since and almost died all from severe complications and what they donā€™t tell us 80% of people gain back the weight within 2 years. I had to have revision surgery and now a year later I have another blockage. Please message me if you wanna talk

I also had a feeding tube for 5 months from the complications

You need to see an endocrinologist. Youā€™re not going to lose weight until your hormonal imbalances are in check. Did you doctor tell you that youā€™re ā€œprediabetic?ā€ Youā€™re not really, you just have severe insulin resistance. Go see a good Endo, get on metformin and Wegovy, maybe spironolactone, and youā€™ll see the weight drop off.

Try to reduce sugar and carbs intakeā€¦ work out regularly and talk to your doctor about medication that can manage pcos.

Iā€™m have had bypass surgery. However looking back I seriously wish I had not. Losing weight so rapidly was not mentally healthy for me, and I was already struggling with this issue, I was a stranger to myself and absolutely miserable. I have thyroid issues which were not part of the reason for my surgery but still prevail and I have gained some weight back. I would ask yourself are you already mentally struggling? Do you have thyroid issues already, have PSOC, etc. it is not a cure for any of those things which could result in gaining your weight back and weakening you mentally. I have finally learned to love myself but it has been an ongoing battle that I will forever have to deal with.

I had the lap band done twice. Lost tons of weight both times. But was allergic to it and they didnt know that the first time. They thought it just slipped so they removed it as an emergency and the second time they removed it again as emergency and when they took it out the second time they found it was all red and swollen and he pulled it out ASAP. And told me no to any further weight loss surgery. I ended up getting gastroparaeis from it and now cant eat anything. I saw the baric Dr again to have my gall bladder removed and he didnt recognize me at all. I told him I got GP and he said I am sure glad we didnt try any other surgery you wouldnt be here. So please do your research.

I did the sleeve 11/2019. 315 to 173ish Iā€™m so happy I did!

I have never heard anyone that has had really success without all the secondary infections and re surgery. Not sure itā€™s worth it.

Try Hailey Pomeroyā€™s Fast Metabolism Diet. All healthy foods without the added garbage they put in our food. First couple weeks might be a challenge on days 3 and 4. Try turkey bacon, celery and lime juice. Ask your doctor first to make sure thereā€™s no reason that you shouldnā€™t do it, but I donā€™t see a reason why anyone shouldnā€™t be able to. Itā€™s the Garden of Eden and completely healthy, and after youā€™re finished, you feel good, not addicted to sugar, your taste buds come back to life, and you can start adding back a few treats here and there.

Yes. I had gastric bypass 18 yrs ago. I was 300 lbs. Iā€™m 165 now. Iā€™m tall so 165 is great . Surgery is a step BUT you Have to change your eating habits. Surgery is not a cure all.

Demogras helped me lose 45 lbs in about 4 months I also ate better smaller portions it was amazing

Youā€™re getting a lot of good advice. Ultimately, itā€™s up to you. Iā€™ve seen it go both ways. Really think about it-list the pros and cons. Stay strong whichever way you go. Good luck!

I did lap band 9 years ago. As people mentioned, itā€™s a tool, not a miracle pill. You have to work with it. If I eat wrong , I will gain weight. I have gained up to 20 lbs back. But then I eat healthy and walk and drop the weight again. Better than being 80-100 pounds overweight tho. Iā€™ve never regretted my decision.

Give the Optavia program a try. Message me for information about it.

I had the sleeve 13 yrs out. I love it. 420 to 180

Try yoga daily first

Both my daughter and granddaughter had it done turned out well for both of them