Has anyone tried gastric bypass?

If I has the choice to have it I would do it

Twenty Grand, upwards! Can you afford that? Iā€™d rather be fat!

Try the program Optavia!! Works with no exercise!!

7 Likes

I got it in 2013. 400lbs then. 160lbs now!

I have known people that had it and did good but had health issues. I also know one man that didnā€™t come off the table. He had been totally checked out even by cardiologist. It can be a high risk surgery. Should only be a last resort. I had someone say they were doing it the easy way by having surgery. She found out it was anything but easy. Good luck to you.

6 Likes

I know people who have had it done. Some of them have had serious health issues. Some have had it and lost the weight and gained it back. Then some have done really good.

4 Likes

I had the sleeve done on 7/26/21 and lost 35 lbs so far

7 Likes

I would ask your doctor about trying weight loss drugs first before a surgical option.

3 Likes

Yes. I was 23 w pcos. Lost 200lbs in 1 year. Pcos went away and I successfully had children. Iā€™d do it again in a heartbeat. It was the best thing Iā€™ve ever done for myself. Iā€™m almost 13 years out.

3 Likes

sounds like your doctor knows what she is talking about. It is the hormonal imbalance that is the issue. Look at this site 6 Diet Changes to Control Weight Gain from PCOS. It offers suggestions. I have had a couple of friends who had bypass and helped some and others not so much. They still had to employ self control. Donā€™t rule it out just do your research you are very young. So you should heal ok. Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

2 Likes

I am 56, I had it 20 years agoā€¦ I have seen many ppl have it, and gained their weight backā€¦ mine was evasive, when the others were sleeves, etcā€¦ the only thing that i would say I regret is the fact, that I was a beer drinker, and w time, it was easier t drink more than eat, so w that being saidā€¦if u get it done, just b careful, becuz I have been a struggling alcoholic that is in recovery for 7 months now.

3 Likes

Try to talk to a coach from the Optavia protocol or Ideal Protein.

1 Like

I had it done over 15 years ago. Best thing I ever did! I lost from a size 26 to a 2, but then went to a 10 where I stayed for many years. I will admit I have gained some since retiring, but that is on me. I am a size 14 now. Cons: Several supplements daily are important. 2. Learning to eat slow, and what your body can and can not eat. Not eating the wrong things so you get the dumping.

There are many side effects. I wish I had not done it. Still heavy but left with all side effects. See an endocrinologist first and discuss insulin resistance and of course other endocrine issues that may be related to your weight issue. I wish you well and know you are a special person whatever your weight.

I needed to lose weight to have hip surgery. I had tried everything. A doc introduced me to intermittent fasting. So I had basically no mobility due to both hips shot. I started intermittent fasting. Only eat between 10am and 6pm. Eat a keto diet and limit to 800-1000 cals a day. I have lost 60 lbs. I donā€™t know how much you need to lose but this is a safe effective way to lose. I wish you luck no matter what you decide. I am continuing on my quest as 60 more for me would be perfect!!!

I know 3 people who had bypass a few years ago, all did well, only one has kept some the weight off, weight came back and more! Think and do your research! Good luck to you!

I to am overweight but I know the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. Thatā€™s a tricky thing because if you donā€™t consume calories you will get weak. You need to consume healthy calories, in other words calories that contain the nutrients your body needs. The exercise, or moving your body, keeps your muscles in shape which makes the phrase ā€œif you donā€™t use it you lose itā€ very true. Stay active, cut out all empty calories out of your diet. Gastric bypass surgery is a quick fix, not a permanent fix. Do all things in moderation.

Its a tool to help u control your weight not a cure so many people make that mistake if u are not willing to make a committment to changing how u eat dont do it if u are then it could work for u

Look up what rebel Wilson did first to lose her weight , before doing that, also I had a friend that quit drinking soda pop for a new years resolution , she lost 20 pounds. Walk every day put music on and head out, if you cant do that get a cheap indoor bike to ride.

Gastric sleeve is a better option. I had it 5 years ago and have kept the weight off. I workout several times a week though. I have had no health issues with the sleeve.

Yes store in cool basement or a garage/shop that doesnā€™t freeze.

I had the full bypass 10 years ago. I lost over 150 lbs and have gained back 40 over the years. Iā€™ve had health issues, including an emergency bowel/stomach surgery due to it. BUTā€¦Iā€™d do it again in a heartbeat.

I had the rouen y procedure 10 years ago. I wanted to have the sleeve not the rouen y. But it was 6 months before the insurance would no longer consider the sleeve experimental. Two friends had the sleeve a year after my surgery and have had no problem maintaining the weight loss. I on the other hand have had nothing but problemsā€¦GERD has gotten worse, gained all the weight back and have ulcers.

Iā€™m 11 years post-gastric sleeve having lost 150 lbs and keeping it off. I had a text book recovery and no issues.

My husband had same surgery at same time with similar weight loss success. He had issues with digestion for some time after surgery. However, he also struggled with changing habits - chewing thoroughly, eating slowly, stopping before completely full. On the plus side, for the 10 years prior to his surgery he had Type 2 diabete. Surgery cured it and never came back.

Everyone is different but if you commit to completely changing your habits, youā€™ll do fine. But itā€™s not a magic wand - you have to do the work.

I had it,i did gain some weight back because i got lazy im back on track and losing i also had medical issues that caused me to gain weight alsoā€¦Do what is best for you and stay informed get educated before doing any surgery discuss with family and your doctor u are always going to hear problems people had you dont know what other issues they had ā€¦in my state (Indiana) u have to be so much over weight before most insurances will approve or before surgeon will approve it.

Walk every 10 mins during 7am to 7pm no food after 6 pm. Works better than the stree of surgery. Drink only water! Cleanses the organs

I know 2 that had it done had some health issues after , canā€™t eat certain things without vomiting and eventually gained weight back.
Please donā€™t. I love following weight watchers! it teaches you to see food differently once when you realize how much You should have as a portion and what are better food choices youā€™ll probably be shocked how bad your actually eating.

My mother has it, she is diabetic and can only eat crap food everything else she vomit up.
My anuty has it, lost heaps of weight, but now has put it back on even with more restriction, same as a friend if mine.

I had the bypass almost 11yrs ago, me personally regret it and am not as healthy as I was when I was 400lbs. And was able to actually eat healthy food unlike now seems like my stomach canā€™t handle anything but junk food, or starches

I had the sleeve on 9/8/21 and lost 110 pounds. I probably would more if I could stay away from Chick-fil-A chicken nuggets. Lol

NO no no no! Adjust your lifestyle and accept that it will take time. Find a doctor who specializes in PCOS, there are many alternatives out there. Gastric bypass is permanent. Find a dietitian or nutritionist. Find exercise that you enjoy and can easily add to your life. You get one life and you are worth the time and investment to do all that you can and NOT resort to a WESTERN medicine quick fix.

Their are so many surgical Options out there now. I would research them all. Personally I think the only good one is the Roux en y bypass. I had that back in 2001 I have known several who had a bypass but not that one and then the sleeve and the banding and ballon . They have not had good luck. Most have gained most of weight back

I had bypass and I donā€™t regret. You have to learn how to eat smaller portions and you donā€™t eat and drink together I would do it again

Maybe try the DNA pathway first. My sister had GB and lost almost 100 pounds but once life happened it all came right back. Meanwhile my aunt had it too and is a stick 18 years later. However, my aunt has had lots of health problems too.

Oh bless you eat less and healthy stuff walk mire, borrow neighbours dog to walk seriously surgery is not good when you are so young, nobody knows what you have eaten before but it sounds like you need a changeā€¦ Only you can do that, theres heaps of sites on fb which can helpā€¦ Its only you that can make change, you do not need surgery at this timeā€¦
A few years ago we had a friend he was morbidly obese, sit down job but cleverā€¦he started walking with dog and ate healthily, no support from parents however transformed bodily. Mind etcā€¦ You do not need drastic measures its about your mindset sweetie xc

How about the keto pill suppose to work without exercise.

I know of a girl 25 that ended up dying because of bypass. I also have pros. Leto is the way to maintain.

I had gastric bypass 16 years ago and lost 150lbs. I have gained but only 30lbs which I am working on taking off. It is a life changer and so glad I did it. I was 56 when I had it done.

Look into the Mini Gastric Bypass. Dr Robert Rutledge is the surgeon that started this surgery. I have not heard of anyone that gained back their weight. If you follow the rules , your life will be transformed forever! Please look this up, it is so different from the regular Gastric Bypass.

Yes when they frist came out. Only problem I had was if I ate to much I got a bad pain in my right shoulder. Lost over 100 lbs. But I did gain back about 60 lbs. Speak to a nutritionist they will help you the best. I just found out Iam boarder line diabetic because of my sugar levels. All My doc.was worried about was my cholesterol because normal is 200 and mine was 207 go figure. Speak to a physiologist also. Gastric bypass should be your last resort.Good luck.

Try eating your last meal for the day before 6pm each day and that would go a long way to help with weight loss.

Pros, too many too count! Cons, major hair loss for most woman, and most ultimately gain it back.

I donā€™t usually comment on these but I feel compelled to since I had the surgery and regret it every day. I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable. I throw up every day. I canā€™t eat any dairy. Food was my best friend and I was not mentally prepared for what happened after the surgery. I feel into a deep depression. The mental health person I saw before surgery only told me to be prepared that my breast would shrink. I did loose 100 pounds but over the years gained 40 back. The sagging skin around my stomach was horrible. I would make sure you get mentally prepared before you make sure a life long decision. It is not the easy fix I thought it would be. Good luck. I wish you the best in what ever you decide.

I am going to a bariatric doctor and working towards bipass but itā€™s definitely a lifestyle change too

I had the sleeve in April of this year on the nhs and unfortunately had complications afterwards which has hindered my weight loss but things are heading the right way nowā€¦ no regrets

I had it in 2001 no problems at all. Best thing Iā€™ve ever done for myself.

Yes. It was the best thing Iā€™ve ever done. No problems. Go for it

I had gastric bypass surgery less than a year after a :heart: 3 vessel bypass surgery. The anesthesiologistst was hesitant putting me to sleep gastric bypass and my Dr said
If she doesnt have the gastric done the heart surgery was for nothing. I had not one problem when th gastric was done and have kept my weight
In 130 140 range. It has been about 15 years since gastric. Never had one problem. You still have to watch your diet and not overeat. If you overeat you are back where started before surgery. I have seen that happen. Dont expect the surgery to keep the weight off. You still have to use self control. I have seen people or never changed habits and began gaining weight. Self control still needed.

It works as long as you stay restricted on what to eat and how much. If you start to eat like before the pounds will come back. For some people, the fast weight loss leaves them committed to eating carefully. Others gradually go back to old habits and struggle. I wish you well with whatever you decide.

My aunt had it done, is still obese. The surgery alone isnā€™t enough, you still have to change your diet and increase your exercise.

Sometimes Drā€™s diagnose people with pcos when itā€™s actually cushings. Iā€™d get a second opinion first.

Why not try giving up SUGAR, BREAD, and BAD CARBS.

Thereā€™s pros and cons to everything. Stick with your doctorā€™s. Donā€™t listen here

I think you should figure out if you feel obese. For a long time and forever i have been ā€œobeseā€. Always a size 16. Gave birth fir 1st time at 38 and became a size 18. Before birth docs couldnt figure out why i was ā€œhealthyā€ with all my vitals but looked obese. I was very active always. Now at 52 im obese but any unhealthy vitals i have are very minor and they dont understand cuz scale says and i look obese. I feel great. Only time i dont feel good is when i visit the doctor and the are digging me a hole to roll into. Im active. I eat small satisfying portions. What more can i do?

1 Like

Yes had it done in 2000. Lost a 125. Yes you can stretch you stomach back out. But I would do it again.

You still have to watch or you will put it back on I know some people who did

I had the gastric sleeve surgery in February of this year Iā€™ve already lost over 100 pounds it was the best decision Iā€™ve ever made

I had the surgery. Lost 140 pounds. That was in 2014. Still have kept it off. No problem.

Loved it. Takes some getting used to after, your eating habits change. Stick to the diet they give you, which is not hard and youā€™ll do fine. Bad part is you can only have like two bites of food and your full.and donā€™t drink liquid after you eat. You canā€™t to both.

A few people I know have but they were in their fifties

2 thingsā€¦ 1, you need to be treating the PCOS first. Otherwise nothing will help anyway. My sister has it and has struggled for YEARS spending hours in the gym and not losing a pound but now that she has medication for the PCOS she was finally diagnosed with about 4 years ago she was able to lose weight. 2 I have seen bypass surgery work wonders for people who were committed to it. Itā€™s definitely not a quick fix. Iā€™ve seen people rubberband and go back after months or years when they start to go back to old habits. So it has great potential but itā€™s all how you use it

l would avoid if at all possible

Helps Physicallyā€¦.
Not Mentally.
You Still Have to Change Mental Habits About Food.

I know a handful of people who have gotten that done and gained all the weight back not only are you paying for all that money to get the surgery but youā€™re also gonna go through a lot of pain so if you do decide for whatever reason you may have to get that surgery make sure that you continue to eat healthy and you know make it worth it good luck

I lost over fifty pounds and then Iā€™ve gained every bit of it back plus some

I had it 20 years ago in Jackson Mi. It worked great. I did but some of my weight back on because I did stay with my life style change. One day I just decided I did not want to go back there and lost the weight again. I am 75 and feel the best I have ever felt. I do not have that extra weight to cause joint discomfort and BP problems Now I wear a size 8 and I am happy. BUT before doing it makes sure you have committed to following the program

My mom had that surgery and at first she did really good lost the weight and all then she started having trouble with keeping food down acid reflux and then from all the acid reflux she started coughing up blood because of the rawness in her throat and from there her health went downhill I am sad to say she died and I miss her so much if you can find another way I would suggest that because not only mom but another friend did same thing and she died as well I wish you all the best

Had it 15yrs ago have gained back alot of my weightloss and nearly died from complications do your research

1 Like

Al Roper the weather man had it doneā€¦looks great,New york

Yes. I had one. Loss over 100 lbs. Went from size 22 to size 12. Have maintained size for 20 years. You need to exercise to keep your muscle tone on legs and arms and you need to keep your protein level up and do not eat pass being full. Donā€™t want to stretch new stomach out. Good luck
It works if you are emotionally ready to follow instructions.

Hi I got it done you lose a lot of weight on it

Ask her about the sleeve the people that I know that have had it love it

Get ready to not be able to eat much. Been 15 years, lost 125 lbs. Have gained back approximately 40 lbs. But, still cant eat much as in food servings. Also, I had a gallbladder attack the beginning of the year and ended up having surgery. Because I had the bypass surgery the state I live in didnā€™t have any surgeons that knew how to do the surgery since my stomach was rerouted so I had to be sent to another state to get it done. This was not a fun experience all the way around. REALLY think about this decision.

My niece had it done said it was hard has lost over 100 lbs. There is a new shot out they may do the same thing

I did years ago would never recommend

Think long and hard. A friend did this and almost died. She does not eat or enjoy life any more and honestly looks like a scarecrow she is way too thin. There are several other choices including GOLO, which is great.

I had the sleeve surgery done last yearā€¦ was the best decision of my life.

Had it done in 1984 and Iā€™d do it all over again. Totally changed my life

Doesnā€™t work for everyone.

My husband had a gastric sleeve which worked amazingly for him .

My son, 55 and over 300 lbs, had lap band. It was hard at first to learn to eat only 4 oz at a time but heā€™s now down over 50 lbs and going strong. He now feels good enough to start exercising to help lose more. So proud of him.

My husband had it and lost 135 lbs

Best thing that has ever happened to my husband. It gave him his life back. Get the surgery :+1:

If you have the surgery, follow your post-operative directions to the tea. Have them explain Dumping Syndrome and what causes it.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t at this point. There are things that help with pcos. Metformin extended release stopped rapid hair growth on my face ans makes losing weight more managable. I also lost 45 pounds taking phentermine. With bypass you will still be required to lose weight and show your doctor you can maintain a long term healthy life style. Also find exercise that works best for you. In some people high intensity can raise cortisol levels and cause you to hang on to weight. Find an endocrinologist familiar with pcos and exhaust all routes to manage your pcos.

I had the surgery due to medical issues and obesity soon to be 18 years ago. Main thing is to remember it is not a quick fix! It is a life change if you want to keep your wait off. I lost 140 pounds and after this long have remained at about 125/130 pounds lostā€¦I have not had a carbonated drink in 18 years. I eat smaller meals than my family. I do eat limited sweets, but didnā€™t for a long time. I am off my blood pressure meds and nitro pill for heart, no diabetic meds , as well as cholesterol meds. If I had to make that decision again for me today, I would do it in a heartbeat. Best of luck to you as you decide.

Yes. Almost 20 years ago. Although Iā€™ve put on the menopause 20 I would not have changed a thing. Iā€™d be well over 300 pounds had I not. Happy at 145 and vegan.

This is gonna sound silly, but I lost 40 pounds years ago by using a sandwich plate instead of a big plate. And I walked 2 miles plus every day

I had gastric bypass in 2014 lost 115-120lbs and have maintained weightloss sinceā€¦Best decision I made ā€¦Also had to go to medical Dr ,psychologist, and nutritionist before being approved for surgery at the weightloss center at MGH.

Highly recommend Ketogenic diet. I struggle for so long to lose weight and with PCOS. I got on this diet and i lost 85 pounds. I also was able to get pregnant. The ketogenic diet isnā€™t a diet. Itā€™s a life change that helps you get healthier

I recommend the Gastric Sleeve. That is what I had. A lot less side effects but be prepared for a lifestyle change and BE SURE YOU ARE READY.

A very dear friend passed away several years after the procedure. There are many requirements including super nutrition and supplements. Her body could never readjust. It will take time and effort to slim down. Donā€™t rush it, no quick fix. You did not gain it quickly. Dont beat yourself up.

My boss did it and lost soooo much weight but something was actually wrong. Her legs swelled up terribly and she had horrible intestinal pain. She had to have another surgery to correct it but has had stomach issues ever since. She couldā€™ve died if we hadnā€™t insisted she get checked out. I think it was something about an infection caused by something the doctor left in her.

Nope. I calorie count and have lost 102lbs

My sister by pass. Worst mistakes ever. She lost weight but then because of the surgery had other health issues.

I have had to other people had sleeve done now they regret it

Donā€™t do it! I recently lost a young (32 year old) friend from complications of the surgery. Her liver and kidneys shut down and she lost her life.

Yesā€¦ Iā€™m 200 lbs down. But personally if I had to do it againā€¦I wouldnā€™t. I have more health issues. Including still birth and two miscarriages. I need IV infusions for All my vitamins because my stomach no longer absorbs what I need. Msg me poster. Iā€™ll be glad to fill u in.

1 Like

It doesnā€™t work if you donā€™t have the will power to change your eating habits. Itā€™s a real mental struggle. Like diabetes, medicine works if you work with it.

My daughter had gastric bypass surgery. It took her about a month before she could eat anything. She survived on broth. Then she had to go back into the hospital twice because she was malnourished.

Yes! I lost 100 pounds, but I have gained about 60 back. You still have to restrict your diet.