Getting divorced and needing advice

I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years. My husband and I are now in the process of a divorce and our two daughters and I are stay with my dad. Please tell me there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel. My mama heart is shattered. My oldest is only 3, but she cries and begs me to go home. My soon to be ex-husband works during the week and is going to get them this Saturday afternoon until Sunday. I just know when it’s time for her to come back with me to her paw-paws she is going to be hysterical. She loves her daddy and she is a major home body. I just don’t know what to do to make this easier on her. I brought a good bit of her toys with us.

11 Likes

Why are you not living in the house? Is visitation and child support set, get alimony since you were a stay at home mom.

2 Likes

You have to allow her to be upset but assure your children that you and your ex will always love them. That’s all you can do and keep them busy. Remember busy children are happy children and the more skills a child learns the more well adjusted they will be. That advice works for adults as well. As a person who practiced family law for 20 years, I would recommend that you not start dating right away. Introducing a stranger into your children’s lives would not be good for them.

2 Likes

Move back in, until you can afford your own place.

1 Like

It’s going to suck for awhile, but don’t give up, go back, or give in. Appreciate your dad letting you move back in for a bit. I just lost my dad. If he’s the type to do it, let your dad spoil your kids. Don’t let your ex walk all over you… be firm and stand your ground. It’s okay to sit in the car an extra 5 minutes to decompress and/or have a quick cry for your sanity. Give yourself a goal as to how long it will take you to get on your feet and stick to it. Lastly take care of yourself and hug your kids.
You will be fine.

Do not stay for kids sake.

Don’t go back to your ex because of the kids. They will adjust it just takes time. Explain that daddy will come and keep you on weekends. Find a job and get your own place as soon as you can. Don’t date for a while. Everything will work out in time. You will be happy then.

1 Like

Make her a spot at pawpaw house that is her own space that she can call hers, explain at a three yr old level that this is her home now too. Why you leave the house? Husband should of left them babies in their home.

3 Likes

Reassurance and communication. Explain to her people move and she can have a home wherever either of her parents are. Have dad call her daily if possible to help with the transition. Once you guys get a schedule going let her know in advance she’s going to dads for one or two sleeps and coming back with mom. My three year old kinda understands time so that’s what we do. He knows he goes to mommy’s on this day and comes back so many days later. It just takes time and I highly suggest not doing exchanged at the old house for awhile. Have dad pick her up and drop her off at your new house or somewhere public to ease the transition. Stress that it’s for ease on the child so he doesn’t take offense.

U stay he leaves don’t distrust the children’s lives

3 Likes