Do carseats strap in on a plane?

My toddlers and I are taking a flight. I see that you can fly with FAA approved carseats, do the seats strap to the plane seats ? They are 3 and 4, and I’ve never flown before so were kind of nervous. It is United Airlines, I didn’t know you could bring the seats but it actually says it’s strongly incouraged to bring the seats I just have anxiety about being told for some reason we can’t, they both are FAA approved I just didn’t want to be given a hard time for any reason

15 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Do carseats strap in on a plane?

I just come back from a trip and the baby’s always set with mom and dad that I seen. One couple had a car seat but it was put up with baggage

Please post in CarSeat Safety. They will guide you. They have certified car seat techs in the group that will give you the right and safe answer.

3 Likes

And always bring seats when flying. Checking a car seat can damage the seat and you’ll have to discontinue use of the seat and most the time they get lost that way.

1 Like

Car Seats for the Littles can 100 percent help you theyre and awesome group very sweet people ! They’ve helped me tremendously over the past couple years !

1 Like

All times I fly, kids sit with parents or seat beside parents. Most flights I’ve been on, car seats are put under plane. Really be hard to Secure a car seat :woman_shrugging:t3::woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Yes absolutely! My daughter flew when she was close to 1.5 ish and we brought our infant car seat and strapped it rear facing and everything. You do need to make them aware the child needs their own seat and pay for an extra seat. They also HAVE to be strapped at the window seat. If you, children and spouse are traveling together make sure you let them know it’s imperative that you and a child are together and spouse and child are together. (I did end up holding her most of the flight just due to her screaming)

To use a car seat you must buy baby a ticket to take up a seat.

2 Likes

When I flew with my 3 year old son(9 years ago) I didn’t bring a car seat on the flight. We rented a car seat when we picked up our rent a car. and had him sit with just the plane seatbelt next to me. Last year I had My infant daughter just sit sit on my lap.

1 Like

I’ve always used this for my daughter and it’s a lot easier than taking a big car seat.Child Airplane Safety Travel Harness - The Safety Restraint System Will Protect Your Child from Dangerous. - Airplane Kid Travel Accessories for Aviation Travel Use… https://a.co/d/izAvKHx

All trips I’ve taken the car seats go on the belt with luggage. Undertwo the child was in my lap. You can take a stroller to the plane gate, but they take it and put it away so when you land you can grab it and get off. My kids sat in the seats without the carseat. I’m not sure where your flying from/to so this could be different. If you’re flying jet blue

1 Like

My son is 4 and has been flying since he was 5 months old and I have never used a car seat in a plane

I feel like it bothers everyone around you, so be prepared BUT it’s so much better of a flight for kids and mom, and better for your car seat not to be thrown around. :slightly_smiling_face:

You can bring faa approved car seats on the plane. I have flown with a baby in a car seat and you just do the early boarding when they call for parents with small children or handicapped passengers who may need a little more time instead of waiting for the zone on your ticket to be called. If you’re nervous about it try a google search for a video showing installing it on a plane before you go or consider taking some photos of the instructions in the car seat manual on your phone so you can have easy access to it.

Read your manual to install with lap belt on plane, there’s a section on it. It is strongly encouraged to have kids under 7 in car seats installed on planes. Here in Canada all our seats are approved for air travel, not sure if USA is the same. Many airline employees are not up to date on the rules around car seats so have on hand your manual and the airline rules either on your phone or printed out. I flew with my son last year and had zero issues. It was so nice having him in his car seat so that he couldn’t get up and run around lol he also slept really well for most of the flight.

It’s not recommended to gate check car seats because they get tossed around and can easily be damaged, even if you don’t see the damage it could be weakened or compromised and not hold up properly should you have an accident.

Yes, you strap them on the plane. We just flew recently with one. The bulkier your car seat, the harder it is though. The Evenflo Titan 65 (SnugRide) fits pretty well in airplane seats on smaller planes, some bulkier ones may be hard to use. They usually board people with small children as one of the first sets of people though, so that gives you time to set it up. They must be strapped in the window seat.

Yes they can be if the seat FAA. I flew with my two children’s seats.
Car Seats for the Littles is a great group

1 Like

l get paid over $135 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $19542 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

M0re Info>> https://proworkings296.pages.dev/

You just use the seat belt to strap the seat in. I found it super helpful. I didn’t have to worry about my daughter fidgeting ot asking to use the bathroom a million times. I recommend flying with a car seat until you cant.

3 Likes

If the plane crashes, a car seat is useless. I see no reason to take a bulky car seat with you when the seat belts they have are just fine.

3 Likes

My children have been flying since they were each 3 months old. They never sat in a car seat. They sat in a lap until they were about 1. Car seats or booster seats go with the luggage. Why make it more difficult for yourself?

3 Likes

Under 2yo they sat on my knee. Plane supplied a seatbelt to strap them in place. After 2yo they had their own seat and just used the seat belt. No carseat was ever used. They travelled every year from 5months old . Dont make it harder than it has to be

1 Like

We used a car seat when flying with my 4 year old. Delta had us do the early boarding so we could get it strapped in before everyone came in. It was so handy to have it for our rental car then.

4 Likes

Yes they strap to the airplane seat…buuut with a 3 and 4 yr old I wouldnt bother with all that they are free to check in most cases my reason is first that’s a lot to carry for u. second once u put the carseat in the plane seat there is no room for the legs of a bigger kid and the kid ends up kicking the seat in front of u so if u do take it u better hope the person sitting in front of yall is understanding.

1 Like

Dont do it I brought mine and what a pain in the ass it was trust me. Check it in if needed

The carseat can, but it too much of a hassle. My 2 year old flew with her own seat on the plane without her carseat and did so well. It’s completely up to you🥰

1 Like

That sounds like a lot of work. I would check them as a luggage, which is FREE, to be used in my destination but not on the plane. I flew with both my kids when they were 6 months and 3 years old. It was challenging but I could barely handle them and the stroller and backpack.

We have flown with my daughter since before she was 1 and never used a car seat… we have always checked the car seat into the luggage hold for the other side and my daughter was either on one of our laps for take off and landing or when she was 3 she sat in the seat on her own. It was actually better with her on her own seat during the flight because she could curl up and lay her head on my lap to sleep… she couldn’t have done that if she was in her car seat. It’s also less to have to carry/think about as well.
If you are taking a tiny baby, I would advise to take a car seat but 3&4 should be able to sit in the seat just fine :blush:

these comments make me nervous. please look up a carseat page and talk to an actual carseat tech.
you are supposed to have your child in a carseat while on a plane. no you dont have to, but you definitely should! also DO NOT check you seat, most of the stuff is just thrown in and you dont know what damage your carseat has been through.

4 Likes

Absolutely bring the car seat. I moved across the country and had my 2 year old in his seat. He slept the entire plane flight.

I check mine and have the kiddo buckle in on the seat

Make sure the carseats have the stickers on them that state they a r e faa approved and aren’t expired. If they are too wide they may not fit in the seat

1 Like

Yes you can and you should because it’s much safer for them to be in their own seat in a car seat

1 Like

I took one once and believe me it was easier without the hassle. I checked the car seat on my return trip.

1 Like