Can babies have rice cereal?

I had to put rice cereal to weigh my son formula down. He spit up excessively. So yes you can

3 Likes

It’s probably down to a growth spurt… Also when your bf they tend to “comfort feed” which can seem constant. Speak to your health visitor/doctor for advise. My first 2 i was advised around 8-10 wks but my younger 2 i was advised 6m. It changes with research so they do know whats best for your baby health wise. Horrible to worry but you’ll only get conflicting advise here. X

1 Like

2 months is waaay too young to start substituting cereals!

1 Like

After 4 months only.

You can feed him rice cereal. Mix a little bite in with his formula to make sure his tummy can handle it. Every baby grows differently I know between my daughter and son. My daughter I started when she was about 4 months. My son on the other he was about a month old because he was eating constantly. So I eased him into it. Dr okay it. Because he was a big baby. He came home eating 6 ounces. So the more he grew the more he needed. You can try it. But check with your dr to. Most dr will tell you no. Just up the ounces of milk at feedings. Good luck.

1 Like

Jesus some of the answer in this post are downright terrifying.
Please speak to your doctor, please don’t take advice from random people on the internet when it comes to your child.

11 Likes

Please speak to your doctor. Mixing cereal with milk that young should only be done if advised from a doctor. Usually they only do that if the baby has issues holding milk down, so they have you put a little cereal in it to weigh it down. Your baby will eat as much as they need when they are that young

2 Likes

No no no no no why are you asking the internet for questions if there are healthcare professionals available…babies go through growth spurts all the time. so trying to give him rice cereal to “help him be full” seems absurd to me but what’s even more absurd is how you worded your sentence “eats entirely way too much” uh what? Babies eat every 2-4 hours!! Especially the first 6 months! :exploding_head::exploding_head: just try giving him more formula! The doctor will tell you what is best .

1 Like

I have 7 kids and all were on cereal at 2 months!

2 Likes

I put it in my kids bottles at night before bed and maybe one bottle during the day but not at that age. I think it was closer to 4-6 months honestly.

My Dr said not until they are 4 months old but just talk to your doctor I feed my 4 month old whenever he’s hungry

No!! Choking hazard and their digestive system can’t handle that!

2 Likes

Because they absolutely need that nutrition not empty calories in rice cereal. My twins are 3 months old and eat like monsters… which they should. They are growing. One of them just went from 0/3 months to 6 months in 10 days. They eat that much for a reason.

5 Likes

It’s empty calories. Food is 100% for experimenting until about a year old.

3 Likes

Just no. Stop trying to be a cheap ass. It can cause digestive problems now or later in life. All he needs is formula or beat milk.

Rice cereal has absolutely no nutritional value. All it will do is blow up his stomach and will be uncomfortable.

1 Like

Too young for rice cereal :grimacing:

2 Likes

2 months olds can’t eat too much. No cereal either…too young

2 Likes

My baby is almost 4 months and he has bottles every 2 hours. My health nurse got me on to a formula thickener which I only use at nights so his feeds are spaced out. Maybe try that. There little tummys can not handle food yet. Baby’s also need to have good neck control as well before starting food. Id speak with ur health nurse or doc 1st :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d just speak with your pediatrician love! Every baby is different. Until you speak with them, I wouldn’t change anything. :heart: best of luck to you! Sending love and good vibes.

My parents gave me rice cereal far too young and “I turned out fine” according to my dad. But I have IBS and I’ve always struggled with my weight. Do I know that the early food is the cause? No. But as science progresses it’s shown that it could be the cause. I don’t always agree with opinions, but you can’t dispute science. 2 months is too young.

6 Likes

What does your dr say?!?!?

1 Like

Ummm babies don’t eat till 4-6 months

I did mine , to stop over eating. She projection vomit after eating. Just about a half teaspoon in 8oz bottle. Just thicken one bottle a day

2 Likes

I dont think your ment to give any sort of food at all to a 2 month old, my son had about 7 to 8 bottles a day when he was this age it was tiring but he showed signs of wanting to eat at 4 months old so he had baby rice at 4 months, no sooner should a baby have food it’s bad if you do, hes nearly 7 months old and he has 3 meals a day with a few snacks a day and he still has 5 bottles when hes ment to have 3 lol I think they are all different, I’m sure your ment to feed baby every 2 to 3 hours till they are older.

No do not give your 2 month old anything food they don’t need need it food for fun before 1 , baby’s are gunna be hungry and drink lots of milk they need it to grow

My kids doctor put them in rice cereal in the bottle around 2 months to help fill them up. My youngest would literally chug 10 oz of breastmilk (I’m assuming it just wasn’t fatty enough him) so I switched to formula and he was still drinking 5 oz which the doctor said he didn’t want to push him to more yet so to put the cereal in his bottle to try to hold
Him off.

1 Like

No way not until months minimum

My pediatrician said babies can not overeat. If the baby does there could he an underlying issue causing him to eat excessively. We put rice cereal in our little ones formula only because of acid reflux

2 Likes

I did my kids at 6 wks and they are fine, but ask your dr and see what they tell you.

1 Like

Trust your instincts momma!!! My baby boy came out with two stomachs and a hollow leg ( not literally). He was eating 6 oz at every feeding by a month and we start cereal by 6 weeks. Water down with formula for starters because whole or more whole food equals more whole poop and you don’t wanna back him up. I know everyone is telling you to go ask your dr and if you feel like that is an extra assurance for you go for it too but nothing negative SHOULD happen except you getting a little more sleep cuz little is finally fat and happy.

I never knew a baby could eat to much

Started my son at 2 weeks on rice cereal now he is 40 years old 6foot 5 inches 275 lbs was in the Army Special Forces for 15 years it didnt hurt him lol

4 Likes

Gave all 3 of mine rice cereal at 2-3 months old. Ask your pediatrician though.

1 Like

I did and mine were absolutely fine one bottle in the morning and obe at bedtime

Baby knows when they are full they will eventually start spitting it out… Or you can just use 2 tablespoons Of cereal and then put the formula and it accordingly

I put my son on rice cereal at 1 month. And he did great. He’s now 20 years old and is 6’5 and 250.

2 Likes

I did for my son my daughter was 3 months id make its thin. And see how he dose. Sometimes the drs allow it early because they eat so much

Yes all of my kids got rice cereal at 2 weeks

I gave all my kids rice cereal at probably 2to 3 months they were all fine

1 Like

Asking your doctor is the best way to go about it. I started mine at 2 months I just didnt give a lot bc it can cause constipation.

3 Likes

Baby’s to young! Only milk!

Put a pinch in the bottle i did once a day.

1 Like

I did it also at 2months it helps so much

Babies go through quick changes in the first couple of months, the size of their stomach changes fast. What do consider too much? How often does he feed? Is it breast or bottle? Also how many ounces if he is bottle fed does he take in for a single feed? These are all important factors. Sometimes it seems that’s all they do is eat eat eat. But what some consider normal, may seem like a lot to another. My motto with babies especially if it’s your first, is , when in doubt, check it out. Always check with your doc before introducing solids . Even tho u can make it runny some baby bellies aren’t ready for it

I think the earliest you’re supposed to do stuff like that is 4 months. 2 months is too early. You need to ask your doctor

1 Like

I did at 2 months and also started baby food at 2 months

All 3 of mine ate rice cereal at 2 months. They loved it. Esp my daughter. I put baby food fruit, rice cereal together in a sm bowl & then thinned it out w formula or baby juice. & spoon fed them their cereal. Give them a bath, a bottle & then it was bedtime

So this was 16 years ago… my son’s pediatrician suggested I start putting cereal in my son’s bottles because he was losing weight due to acid reflux. The doc said it would help to weigh the formula down in his stomache and would help him gain weight. It made the formula thicker so I would have to cut bigger holes in the nipples

12 Likes

I think this is considered “too young” by so many people bc the baby’s digestion is not developed enough to process more than breastmilk or formula even after they’re born for a little while. At least that’s my understanding and I’m not a doctor but that’s why I held off until 4 months before introducing in very small amounts and slowly introducing purées starting with simple/single ingredients. I found Pinterest an easy reference for homemade purée at appropriate ages. It was hard not to get over excited and start sooner but consider it’s not worth damaging anything in their fragile little bodies or creating unnecessary discomfort or inflammation.

8 Likes

Try talking to your pediatrician, she recommended us giving rice to ours at 3 months but she also needed to gain weight and her Dr. Thought she might be ready for it. Also we had to make her reach for her bottle and teach her to hold it in her own at an early age bc she would just eat way too fast and for some reason gassy babies want to eat more so we would feed her, giver her 10-20 minutes to “settle” and then give her the rest.

1 Like

Every child is different. I would talk to the pediatrician and see what they think is best for the little one.

10 Likes

Whatever you do please do not put cereal on bottle it is dangerous . Cereal is not recommended until at least 4 months but usually 6 months

27 Likes

I would a little bit of rice cereal in my sons bottle after he was 5 months old. He was completely fine and his doctor was ok with it. It was never a full scoop it was literally just about one teaspoon

4 Likes

I baby will literally eat itself to death.
Pace their bottles. Look up paced feedings. It is used for both breast milk and formula.

Do not add ANYTHING to their bottles. That’s dangerous.
Idc if you or your uncles jerries best friend wife does that to their baby and is fine. Why possibly take that chance? Rice adds no nutritional value & being full has nothing to do with more or less sleep. It’s been proven. Can some kids have a preference? Sure. Of course.

Don’t start on any solids until they meet the requirements to do so… 1)6mo old 2) sits up unassisted. 3) loses tongue trust reflex.

32 Likes

4-6m is standard for giving solids… you need to talk with your child’s doc before doing any of that…

8 Likes

No rice is super dangerous. At 2 months your baby should only be eating one ounce and hour.
Are you sure he hungry and not in pain due to being over fed. I see it a lot where babies are getting 8 ounces at that age. My son never got more than 4 ounces at a time. No food before 6 months and no rice in the bottle.
My son was feed with the help of serval doctors and is intake was regulate for the first 18 months for his life.

Other options is talking to his doctor about making his formula 27 calories a ounce instead of the 20 calories. They should give you work sheet on how to add extra formula. To get the correct calorie count.

This is just my opinion you know your baby I don’t. I am just strongly agains rice when you have other options. Always talk to you child doctor so they can help you make the right choices for your baby.

5 Likes

it’s generally not recommended to start solids until 6 months (or near there). is their pediatrician worried about how much breast milk/formula they’re eating?

to start solids, babies should be able to sit, and hold their head upright and steady. at two months they don’t have the coordination to use their tongue to move solids.

11 Likes

Baby tummy is not ready for solids.

6 Likes

I gave my son rice cereal at 3 months old. He was constantly hungry. He is 31 now and he is perfectly healthy. Listen to your gut/mom instincts. I know how exhausting that is. Good luck!!!

8 Likes

I would mix an ounce of rice with 2 scoops formula and mix it up in the bottle if it’s to thick add a little more water. But I also waited until around 3 months. My girls are 10 and 6 now. But most doctors and nurses recommend at least 6 months.

2 Likes

My kids are teenagers and very young adults. Their pediatrician recommended it when they were all babies, around the 3 month mark, to help at night. Moms have done it for a whoooooole lot of years, but now they are advising against solids until what, 6 months I think? Talk to your pediatrician, do what you and he/she are comfortable with.

6 Likes

The advise i was always given was not to put anything other then their milk in their bottles. Was told to only use it in bowls mixed with their milk and spoon feed but not as young as that. X

3 Likes

2 months is way To young , an honestly I never offered that stuff to My baby . It doesn’t offer any nutrients, it can be a choking hazard in a bottle and it looks and smells so gross when prepared to spoon Feed it… we skipped right onto pures

13 Likes

My daughter has acid reflux so our doc told us to put cereal in her bottle to thicken it up so that she didn’t throw up so much. We used single grain oatmeal and did a tsp for every 4oz and worked our way up to a tsp for every 2oz.

Speak with the baby’s doctor at 2 months it seems too young to start solids. My son was healthy with only breast milk for 6 months. Then slowly i added solids

2 Likes

My son was started on rice cereal by his Dr at 4 months. He was born with an underdeveloped stomach so its weight helped keep things down. We mixed it with formula and the dr showed us how to cut a nipple for the bottle so he could drink it. He did great after.

Do what you feel is right. They say alot of things are bad for babies but how did they eat back in the day. I have fed all 3 of my girls on rice cereal and formula since a month old. 1 is 14, 1 is 4 and 1 is 3. All very healthy children. It slowed their feedings down. All above average. Pediatrician will tell you no WIC will tell you no but it’s all in how you feel about it.

1 Like

Pediatrician recommended i put rice cereal in my kids bottles at 2 months for gas and acid reflux relief. I only put a tsp in a 6oz bottle and it worked great. At 4 months i started giving rice cereal in a bowl for breakfast, as directed by my pediatrician. At 6 months they got everything else, oatmeal, baby foods, watered down apple juice etc. Did this with all 3 of my kids who are now 10, 15, and 16 and have been perfectly healthy with no digestive issues. Speak with your pediatrician though before taking anyone’s advice from here, including my own.

I had 5 kids and started them on rice cereal at 2 months. They are now 30, 28, 25, 22, and 15 all were fine and healthy. Obviously don’t put alot a teaspoon to start and see how the baby does. Gradually u can add a bit more.

2 Likes

Always ask your doctor but I fed my baby rice cereal mixed with breastmilk or formula.
Of course making a bigger hole (because it’s thicker) in your babies bottle can make choking a concern.

2 Likes

Gave all three of my babies rice cereal in their bottles it never causes any problems and they slept better. They are in their 50s & 40s now.

1 Like

Rice cereal shouldn’t be given to babies ever and babies shouldn’t eat any solids until after 6 months old and showing ALL SIGNS OF READINESS!!! all this old-school BS needs to get thrown in the garbage!!!

3 Likes

As someone with experience, please do not feed your infant cereal. It may have long term consequences such as food allergies and gasterointestinal issues. I treat children with feeding disorders and parents don’t realize the long term effects of feeding infants too early.

3 Likes

Old school started when both of.mine was 6 weeks. Couldn’t breast feed. Formula was just not enough. They never choked on it nor had stomach issues.

3 Likes

Not to scare you, however so many babies suffer in extreme pain and end up in hospital with starting solids so early… even at 3 months it’s considered too early… my little one was breast fed and for the first 4 months all I think I did was feed him and change him on repeat… just ride it out but please don’t do anything without speak to your doctor or health visitor, better be safe than to be sorry.

1 Like

My kids all 5 of them have had food since they was 2 mths add alittle bit to the bottle and see how your baby does best of luck and always check with your doctor before starting anything even food with your baby

1 Like

Nothing but formula or breastmilk for the first 6 months. Baby cereal doesn’t offer much nutrition anyway

3 Likes

Sounds like cluster feeding and that’s NORMAL at this age please don’t be giving your baby rice cereal untill atleast around 5/6 months and around that time they should be cleared by a pediatrician

2 Likes

No no no! Never give rice cereal. It breaks down to sugar. If you’re breast-feeding, keep breast-feeding on demand. He might not be eating for food, he could be nursing for comfort or he might be scared or he might not feel well. Batey’s nurse for more than one reason.

1 Like

Have you asked your pediatrician if eating too much? A baby at that age will eat when its hungry :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

2 months is far too young!

3 Likes

My youngest was on enfamil ar for reflux, it has the added rice starch. She was drinking 8oz every 3 hours and her pediatrician said nothing or had no issues. I thought it was a little much but she said no it was fine and that she just liked food. She’s 2 and still likes food, eat all day if we let her.

I fed all my babies rice cereal by that age. And my mom did with all of us. It helped them sleep too.

2 Likes

Throw dry baby cereal or oatmeal into a ziplock bag, move a magnet around the ziplock for a few minutes you’ll see metal coming to the top. People say we need “iron” but I don’t think that type of iron is okay​:woman_shrugging:t4: if you search baby food on recall you’ll see a whole list. Bottle or breast whenever your baby is wanting it, no need to put their tiny bodies on a schedule.:blush:

All 4 of mine had rice cereal before it’s “recommend” by doctors and they are perfectly fine

I have my son a bit of rice cereal in his milk. It helped him sleep through the night. Less fussiness, too.

I had to do this with my son at that age he was eating 8oz bottles still crying for more dr instructed rice cereal in bottles

Each child is different on when they can start having more than just formula. I had one who started on solids at 3 months and one who was fine with just formula at 5 months. If they are sleeping through the night then start waking back up say in 2 weeks then try a little rice cereal to thicken formula in bottle.
I had 4 kids and each was different.

Nope not ready yet unless dr or pediatrician consults you to do so

2 Likes

I started both my babies on rice cereal in they milk from 2 months old. Consult your paedratican first ,my paedratican advised me to start with rice cereal from two month coz baby was not getting full. if you using rice cereal start with one scoop in baby bottle feed and see how it goes.

Listen here chick. Rice cereal is good for them. I’m son just turned 7 months old today. And my son drinks 6 ounces of formula every 3 to 4 hours every day and I give him a scoop and a half of rice cereal in every one of his bottles. The scooper I use is the scoop that comes with his formula. Rice cereal will just help him gain the weight he needs and and will help with the iron. So just make his formula a little thick and let him eat it. It will do nothing to him. Every pediatrician recommends it to babies that spits up a lot or has a acid reflex or is not gaining enough weight like they should. So give ur baby rice. And I’m a first time mother

The thing is, when my kids were babies (grown adults now) it was common for pediatricians to have you start your kids at 2-3 months on infant cereal. But a lot has changed. We continuously learn more about nutrition for our babies. Best advice will come from your child’s specific pediatrician because they track the child’s growth and development. Sometimes even a simple vitamin helps supplement enough so the pediatrician is your best avenue for information. My kids turned out fine on cereal at 2 months but plenty of moms have seen digestive issues from starting them so early.

I fed both of my daughter’s a bit of farex mixed with their milk at six weeks old. They grew and also survived. I also gave them distilled water.

I was instricted to add rice cereal to formula to help with colic at a super young age its fine

I gave both my kids oatmeal when they were about 3 months or so no problem. 1st son i did in bottle. 2nd son i just made it really runny and he did well with it. All you can do is try it to see how they do with it.

Too young, the digestion system is not fully developed. It may be because the formula is too thin. 2 months should be at 6 to 8 ounces of a bottle every two hours. Follow the directions on the back of the container, put an extra scoop if needed. At about 5 to 6 months you can start adding rice cereal or light solids (blended fruit/veggies).

HOW does a 2 month old baby eat “way too much” ?! They’re going by instinct. Babies eat, sleep and grow.

My baby weight a 4 lbs she very hungry all the time so I put cereal in her last bottle after bath she would go to sleep
2 months.

My pediatrician said my daughter could start at 3 months eating baby food because she was a little ahead on her milestones but with my son so far it’s different. It really depends on your doctor and their recommendation as every child is different. Ultimately up to you and what you decide on the end mama dear.