Anyone else still have their 6 year old in a booster?

Car seat questions. My son will be 6 in June, he is 41” tall and about 38lbs. He’s wanting a booster but I keep telling him no… are anyone else’s 6 year olds still in a car seat?

2 Likes

My 6 year old is in a booster. Technically my 10 year old should still be a booster seat.

My son is 9 and is still in a booster.

My daughter is 6.5 and still in a harnessed car seat. She’s only 37lbs and her frame is tiny. I tell her to eat more food cause she’s gonna be harnessed till she 12 :joy:. My 8 year old has only been in a high back booster for a few months. They really need a good seatbelt fit, and be able to hold their body up when they fall asleep or they’ll slump forward. Also, the thought of them submarining under the seatbelt in an accident terrifies me.

1 Like

My 8 year old is still in a booster

At 6 we did the high back booster with the seat buckle

My kids were still in a harnessed carseat at 6. They were in boosters until they could sit/fit correctly in the regular seatbelt. We had one vehicle they had to remain in boosters for longer because they didn’t fit properly.

It depends on the state as to what car seat/booster they have to be in

If my son could be in a harnessed seat I would. He’s 70lbs so he’s in a booster but he’s 5.

I have 2 8 year olds still in booster seats. They’re both over 4 ft tall and close to 60 lbs…

My 8 year old just got out of his five point harness right before he turned 8. He’s now in a high back booster. I don’t care what other think/say, car seat safety is important. People need to take it seriously & not care how other people feel/think.

4 Likes

My daughter is 8 (55 pounds) and still in a 5 point harness.

Check weight requirements on boosters. Most need to be minimum 40lbs

My 6 yr old is 47lbs and still in a full harness and still has a lot of room to move up in the harness. I probably won’t move her until she’s about 8.

My six year old is 80lbs and the height of a 10 year old so he hasn’t been in a booster for awhile just because he literally didn’t fit in his anymore, I just waited until he literally didn’t fit

At his size he should definitely stay harnessed as well as most boosters don’t allow under 40 lbs. Once he’s consistently over 40 lbs you could switch to a high back booster.

2 Likes

He should still be in a carseat. My daughter is 3.5 and she weighs 40 lbs but I still wouldn’t want her in a regular booster

My grandson who is 6 is 4 foot 3 inches andd weighs 55 lbs , is still in a 5 point harness car seat

My daughter is 7 almost 8 and is still in a harness seat. She is over 40 pounds but she’s short and I feel she dont fit correct in a booster

My daughter stayed in a full harnessed car seat at 6 but she slept in the car so it was safest.

He needs to stay harnessed until he’s consistently staying over 40lbs, most boosters anymore don’t allow for anyone under 40lbs. After that, it’s totally up to you. Start with a high-back booster and when he outgrows either limit switch to a no back booster until he 5-steps. :slight_smile:

Mu 6 year is one high back booster that can be either 5 point harness or the seeabelt. But we’ve moved her to the seabelt once she reached the height and weight requirement on the one we have

As long as he weighs over 15mg he can have a booster chair with normal seatbelt

He can go in a booster now… he is older and right weight

My daughter is about to be six in August and she’s still in a 5 point harness car seat. She’s just about as tall as yours but only weighs in the high 30s. She’s a string bean like her father.

Mine is because she’s past the weight limit for a 5 point harness

you can find booster seats up to a 100lbs some our lesser dont go by hight go by weight . should still be in a car seat of some form.and some kids are in longer than regulated.

Definitely check local laws and probably find at least a booster.

My 7yo, almost 8, is still in a 5 pt harness. He has not met the height or weight maximums yet. We will switch to high back booster when it maxes it out, whatever comes first height or weight.

My 7 yr old is still in a high back booster. I get called a out all the time. “She’s too old to be in one” “when I was little, I wasn’t in one”. Well good thing she is MY child and I want to keep her safe. She is not tall enough, and the seat belt rest on her face and neck. Obviously not safe.

You do want feels right for your child. No one else can make the decision.

1 Like

My 4 year old is 40lbs and in her car seat still. He seems a little small for a booster still.

Got one getting ready to be 10 and she is still in a high back booster. She’s just smaller for her age. Honestly it’s more about the size of a child not the age. Always check your child’s safety seat recommendations.

My daughter will be 6 in august and is still in a five point harness and will remain there until she is 7/8 likely, based on height and weight, at which point she will move to a high back booster.

8.5 year old is still in a booster over here!