Am I wrong to think it isn't my responsibility to make sure my daughter sees her dad?

Soo my daughters dad moved to Florida in march and he doesn’t always call to talk to her. But when he did FaceTime her a few days ago he said in front of her that mommy should bring you down to come visit me. We do have a visitation order in place through court but it doesn’t start until summer of next year (his choice) but I’m just like how is it my responsibility to bring her to Florida to come visit him? I don’t think it’s my responsibility. It’s his. If he wants to see her that bad he can get on a plane and come see her himself. Am I in the wrong?

15 Likes

My x is in Florida and I’m in AZ- in our custody it’s clear when, how long, and who pays for the visit.

No not your responsibility unless it has been agreed upon in court order
He knows that he can see her so it’s up to him to make those arrangements as long as he stays within the agreed order

1 Like

It’s his responsibility. And normally IF it’s a court order it will say… my parents said they had to meet at a half way point when my dad moved to FL and my mom lived in MI

Honestly, before just sending my kid down to Florida, I would want a trip with me there first.

1 Like

It’s up to him to come and see his daughter

I agree with you it should b his responsibility.He should have thought about that before he decided to move.

4 Likes

You’re not wrong. He chose to move, it’s his responsibility to pay for her to go see him.

3 Likes

What does your court order state? Might as well go ahead and start following it, even though it doesn’t start until next year. My ex is 2 states away (I’m in Florida and he’s in SC) and we meet at a halfway point in GA.

It’s not your responsibility. He’s trying to make it your responsibility. If he wants to see her he should spend the money and come see her. He moved that’s on him.

3 Likes

I dont feel like it’s my responsibility. My children’s dad lives a mile away. I have the same number and same job since we separated. He knows our number and when I work and when I dont. He still doesn’t see his kids. I will call theor grandmother because she calls us, but he never calls. Never

Nope. He needs to make the effort in his relationship with his child.

Not your responsibility. When my daughter was younger her father told the judge that I refuse to bring her to him an pick her up (he had every other weekend) he lived 30 mins away. The judge told him it’s not her responsibility to bring her to you or pick her up. He said she has a car I don’t, the judge said there’s buses an taxis yes they cost an so does gas in her vehicle. The judge also said if you wanted to see your child you would do what it takes even if it’s to take the bus!

1 Like

Not your responsibility, but depending on how old the child is, he can pay for the ticket to fly to Florida.

He can send you a plane ticket

He moved away. It’s his responsibility to maintain a relationship with his child.

2 Likes

Sounds like he wants to see you, too. Probably homesick if he just moved there in March. Personally, I wouldn’t let my kids travel to another state for a visit; I’d rather go with to make sure I was going to get them back.

2 Likes

If wants to sre her he will

1 Like

His responsibility. But if he pays for your flights and your hotel while you’re there go and drop your daughter off and have a vacation :beach_umbrella: If he doesn’t pay you stay home. If he says he will pay make sure you get money first then book reservations

It’s not your responsibility.

It’s not your responsibility to accommodate him so that he can have a relationship with his child. He made the conscious decision to move to FL. He should have worked out visitation arrangements with you prior to the move.

Depending on your daughters age, she can fly as an unaccompanied minor, but he would still be responsible for round trip airfare. You would just get her to the airport and on the plane and then be there to pick her up when she returns.

13 Likes

This should be addressed in the papers. Most times the child flies as a minor.

Unless agreed in court you don’t have to take her to visit him. But co parenting is take and give.

If he moved there he is the one who should be making arrangements to see her. And him saying that in front of her he should be ashamed of himself. But he is just trying to make u look badm

2 Likes

Whether its Tokyo or he’s on the next mission to Mars, if he wants to put distance between him and his child then he must come back to her, and stop using her to guilt you

10 Likes

Yall could meet half way. Co-parenting takes two.

9 Likes

Last I knew it was the parents responsibility that moved away

3 Likes

If you get her year round a just can’t imagine why you paying for the transportation isn’t spot on justice. The court should never extort the lonely parent for visit.

You are not wrong. He wants you to do all the work and effort. He puts forth the effort and does the work. He comes to you or he pays to fly her there. He puts in the effort not you.

1 Like

Girl! I would have said so loud and fast…send the tickets WE’LL be on our way

It’s not your responsibility if he’s one whom moved away he should cover all travel expenses etc. and like you said he can come see her anytime

It’s not your responsibility. If there’s a court order then that’s your responsibility.

It isn’t your responsibility. And I’d tell him if he keeps saying that stuff you won’t video call anymore. That’s an attempt at parental alienation

No that’s on him he sounds like a crazy to think u that stupid