Advice on intermittent fasting?

Anyone on here have advice for intermittent fasting? I stopped eating at 5:30pm and oh dear I only made it till 11pm :rofl::woman_facepalming:t2: I’m a big snacking machine And hate water with a passion but I managed to not open a soda ince 5:30pm :+1:t3:I need help! I’m trying to do better and teach my kids better habits! Also don’t hurt to lose this belly I got lol

4 Likes

I’m better at fasting in the morning. Eating around 11am and sometimes as late as 1pm. Then I stop eating at 7pm after a nice healthy meal. If your going to have a treat do it before 5pm so you have time to burn it off. If you’re hungry later, drink water and go to bed. You need more of both lol. Carbs and sugar crave carbs and sugar. Meaning if you eat something full of carbs and sugar then you’ll want more, especially if you don’t set firm limits. And remember to feel proud when you do good, celebrate the small wins and keep going, it gets easier!.

1 Like

Watch Dr. Jason Fung on YouTube!! He has lots of helpful information about fasting and lots of other things

I downloaded a water drinking reminder app because I would drink Pepsi instead of water, I love Pepsi!! My intention was to keep my Pepsi but get some water in in-between, it was hard at first, but after a while I noticed that I had quit drinking the soda and I would pour myself a glass and it didn’t taste good anymore. One step at a time, because I don’t know if I can quit the ice-cream. Lol

Get app. Join Facebook groups/they helped a lot, after starving feeling passes you will not feel hunger anymore. Also get melatonin and vitamins. My hair was falling and I couldn’t sleep
I was doing 16/8 and then 18/6

I only do intermittent fasting on my rest days, on workout days I just plain cannot. I need food and a lot of it.

When I am fasting I eat dinner at 5:30 and a smaller dinner before bed (I’ve never been able to sleep without food in my stomach). It’s easier to do the fasting in the first half of your day. I just do coffee snd water, sometime homemade sports drink if I’m feeling off or I’m on my period.

If you’re trying to do away with soda, Try a cirkul water bottle, the flavors are amazing. That is how I got rid of soda.

The fewer carbs & sweets you eat, the less you’ll crave them. I just don’t go down the soda, snack, candy and bread aisles at the grocery store. Don’t buy bread or crackers. Have lots of cut up raw vegetables, hummous to dip them in, and nuts and fruits on hand for easy snacking. You’ll reach for what’s in easy reach.

Switch to flavored seltzer water instead of the soda with (regular or artificial) sugar. I just found some with caffeine too.

Flavored teas are a great way to get your water in. Celestial Seasonings has amazing ones for afternoons like caramel apple, peppermint, and gingerbread at Christmas time. Constant Comment, Chai, and flavored black teas (I’ve found pineapple, mango and love Earl Grey) wake you up. Good hot or iced, makes you feel like you’re drinking something special. Green tea is excellent and comes with flavors like lemon and ginger, etc. If you HAVE to have sugar, add a little honey & decrease the amount over time. Lemon & lime juice adds almost no calories.

Add fruit slices or bits to a pitcher of water, or mint, rosemary, coriander or cucumber or multiple items to make an infusion. Let it sit overnight. Having a glass of water with ice, fruit, a lemon or lime slice or wedge or herbs makes you feel like you’re having more of a cocktail than plain water. Put it in a wine or other fancy glass.

Have plain oatmeal with fresh or dried fruit, or a plain baked or sweet potato with light sour cream & salad toppings/bacon bits before you go to bed. It’ll keep you full until morning. Also protein but be careful with the U.S.’ adulterated meats & think of eating cheese as eating lard.

Try different hot cereals (grits, bits o’ barley, teff, quinoa) and meat, poultry or fish for breakfast. Skip bread, pastries, pancakes, waffles and syrup. Feel free to eat lunch & dinner foods at breakfast.

When you want candy or a cookie, eat dried fruit. When you want ice cream, put dried fruit, nuts & a few dark chocolate chips in plain yogurt. If I REALLY want ice cream, I’ll go out for it so I won’t have it in the house. McDonald’s size was perfect but their machines are never working. If you’re like me, if you know there are fatty snacks in the house, you’ll eat them until they’re gone, but if you can stick to one, they make mini-cones. Tiny ice cream tubs can be found more and more in grocery stores. If you HAVE to have chips or something (craving for more than 48 hours) get the smallest single-serving bag at 7-11.

Savor the foods you like and eat them slowly and mindfully. Eat the foods you don’t enjoy as much (bowl of kale, maybe?) mindlessly while watching TV, reading, etc. Keep a water bottle at hand and drink it mindlessly while you’re absorbed in an activity.

Exercise also helps to curb cravings. Find something you like & friends to do it with. Walking, swing dance, hiking, biking, swimming, axe-throwing, shooting hoops, jump rope, indoor climbing walls, martial arts. Most people don’t enjoy calisthenics or weights or exercise machines: don’t do something you don’t like or you’ll only do it 3x tops. Do stuff with your kids if possible, and mix up types of movement so you don’t get bored. I find the more I exercise the healthier my cravings and the less I need to eat, paradoxically.

Buy organic, no hormone meats and poultry if at all possible. No one needs growth hormones, pesticides or antibiotic resistance. Eat less meat, eat more beans, look for tofu recipes where it’s hidden in flavorful foods, and view cheese like the Europeans—have little exquisite pieces for dessert. Brown rice, and whole wheat pasta if you must. Wild rice is a great substitute, though pricey. Zucchini noodles, soybean noodles and spaghetti squash are all good pasta substitutes. The jury’s out on cauliflower rice, but 1/3 mashed cauliflower in mashed potatoes is great. Use olive oil in place of butter as much as possible. Or avocado or applesauce as a butter substitute in some recipes. Skip iceberg lettuce. It has no nutritional value. Romaine or other salad greens are better.

Good luck! Don’t make too many drastic changes all at once. Get used to substituting or dropping one food at a time before you make another change. Otherwise it’s too difficult and you won’t be able to keep it up for life. Make lifestyle changes. Diets don’t work because we see them as temporary, then balloon back to old, bad habits.