Why would my grandson all of a sudden be having issues with daycare?

My grandson. Has recently started having trouble when he is dropped off at daycare. My daughters boss is a psychiatrist. He says it sounds like separation anxiety. He will be 4 in June, and they’ve already moved him into the 4 year old room. He’s been going here since he was a baby. So it is puzzling why the problem is starting now. He’s had other behavior issues as well. He’s gotten in trouble for slapping a worker there. Any ideas or thoughts on what could be going on or what she can do to ease this?

2 Likes

When children change from classroom to classroom there is some anxiety that comes with it. Teachers they don’t know teacher aides they don’t know children they don’t know. All of this can cause issues with a child because they don’t know others.

2 Likes

Maybe the teacher has something to do with it (?)

1 Like

That seems to be the age that separation anxiety kicks in. Keep taking him and reassuring him that mommy will be back to get him.

I would spend some days there. Unplanned. One of my grandsons had issues… Come to find out we moved him due to the treatment he was receiving

It’s normal for separation anxiety to come back around 4.

Is he being bullied…:thinking:

1 Like

When my own turned 4 he and a few other daycare mates were going through a rough behaviour thing, the teachers implemented the feelings regulation thing where each child got to put their picture into whichever color they were feeling. It worked amazingly! The kids all settled and everything was good.