Why is my toddler eating his poop?

Why is my almost 24 month old eating his poop? but is very picky and won’t eat other foods that everyone eats and what he should be eating? he digs in his diaper and scratches on his inner thighs close to his private area and then when he has poop he grabs it and eats it. I have an urgent appt. scheduled in this week

7 Likes

First of all, this BRAVE mom is looking for HELP! All you negative mamas better be PERFECT and have PERFECT children for such insensitive comments.
As for the Loving Mother who posted this, ignore the negative comments because you’re a great mom and doing what you need to be doing to care for your child. Every kid is different and the unfortunate matter you’re running into (that plenty of other moms have ran into) sounds like a deficiency. You are very brave for asking for help with this and you also made an appointment for your child so as I said before!!! You’re doing what you need to do and you are an AMAZING mama. :heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Oooo we had a kid at our center like this and he was vitamin deficient! He got some therapy and treatment and was all better in 4ish months. You are so brave and such a good mom for asking for help!

2 Likes

Maybe a vitamin deficiency? Or there’s a thing called pica where people crave non food items.

4 Likes

As a mental health professional I promise at this age it’s not that unusual. Usually it means he has a vitamin deficiency or is getting comfort in some way. It like kids who pick their nose and eat it.

Sounds like he might have pica. He also may have a vitamin deficiency of some sort. But is there a way you can keep him from doing that? Maybe mittens? Maybe put the diaper on then maybe training pants over them or maybe toddler boy boxers where it’ll be hard for him to get access to it?

This question is way beyond us here in this group, I cant even imagine a psychological component to this one, I’m glad your seeking immediate help

1 Like

He doesn’t know he is vitamin deficiencies put mittens on till things change

Missing something in his system

Sounds like a vitamins deficiency or there are eating disorders that cause people to crave non edible items

1 Like

Change him more often for starters

3 Likes

Prayers for your son in Jesus mighty name Amene