When did you begin drinking after birth?

When did you mamas begin drinking again after birth/ and breastfeeding? Just like a drink or two. And what precautions did you take with your breast milk ?

1 Like

Fun fact, dark ale is recommended for low milk supply.
Have a drink or two, the saying is, fine to drive fine to nurse. Very little alcohol actually gets into breast milk.

2 Likes

I’m sober so never but I have read that basically if you’re tipsy, your milk is tipsy. If you’re drunk, your milk is drunk. They do make test strips I believe if you’re really concerned. So I’d think if you nursed, then had 1 drink that your milk would be fine by the time baby wanted to nurse again.

The lactation consultant told me if I’m fine to drive I’m fine to nurse my baby.

Research also says to wait until baby is 3 months old.

I didn’t have any drinks right away

The day i came home I did mostly formula from the start tho

Do not drink if you are breastfeeding. There is no safe levels of alcohol for infants.

6 Likes

LCs tell people all the time “if you can find and safely hold your baby, you’re fine to nurse”. I don’t drink, haven’t in a several years now, so this was never much a concern for me. But, if you are nervous you can also pump and store that milk separately to use for baths or what have you if you don’t feel it’s safe to give to baby.

It’s fine to have a couple glasses of wine and still feed baby!
Sit back and enjoy a glass of wine mumma while nursing, You deserve it.

If you really are that nervous, look up the research on drinking and breastfeeding. Even after one shot of vodka there isn’t enough alcohol in your milk to even affect the baby. There are numerous studies on binge drinking specifically and the alcohol content of breastmilk.

Everyone has their own opinions based on their own experiences and research. I drank within a week of my kids being born (not excessive amounts) and I never pump and dump.

In my opinion, the scare of drinking and breastfeeding has more to do with passing out and suffocating your baby. Not the alcohol itself.