What should I do about my daycare childs behavior?

I watch kids for a living so that I can be home with my littles until they go off to school. We’ll I started watching a one year old girl a couple months ago. She is consistently whining. If I’m not right next to her she’s not happy. She fights me to go outside because I play and interact with the other kiddos and she doesn’t like it. If I’m not giving my full attention to her outside she will sit by my feet or hang out by me. Which is fine, but I do want the kids to interact with eachother. Playing together and learning how to share are good learning skills for little ones who need it. The kids I watch are all on the same schedule. They eat and go down at the same time. They all take a good 2 hour nap because we are so active outside. We’ll I’ll put her down and she will sleep maybe an hour. Which is fine, but she will scream until all the kids are up. I try to talk with her parents but they just say “she doesn’t do that at home.” She is an only child, but I do watch other only children and they aren’t like this. I guess my question here is when would you say enough is enough? I’m due to have a baby in December and I’m only planning to take 4-6weeks off. I’m just not sure if I could handle that behavior with a newborn. Not every child is perfect I completely understand it and I have a lot of patience. I just figured after being here a couple of months she would get used to the routine, but the other kids don’t want to play or be around her because of how she is. They will all play together and won’t interact with her. I’ve tried for them all to and it just doesn’t work.

118 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What should I do about my daycare childs behavior?

All kids are different

8 Likes

she is only only one a lot of one year olds do this

14 Likes

If it’s not something you want to continue to deal with, that’s ok. Give her parents notice and a few weeks to make alternate arrangements for their child

27 Likes

She’s a year old, she doesn’t understand what’s going on. She seems to have separation issues and needs to be close to feel secure.

20 Likes

I would talk to her parents and recommend to find a nanny/sitter that would be caring for her in a one on one environment. Some children just don’t do well at that age with being in childcare environment.
Developmental wise she would benefit from other kids around but there is other chances for her to do that… library trips, playgrounds, child groups, etc.

9 Likes

I work at a legitimate daycare and this is just how kids are!!
We have some kids that act just like this, it is what it is not all kids are the same
People think tending kids is so easy and their just gonna do it from home and it’s so frustrating they think that way!
But in short if you can’t handle the child then yes call it quits, it’s not fair for the child to feel tension, the kids at my daycare can feel if I’m having a bad day

17 Likes

If it’s not something you want to deal with and let the parents know but it has not improved. Daycare‘s will do that as well. Especially after a few months. But she may also be new to daycare in general and she’s unsure how to figure all this out. Age is another big one to look at

4 Likes

Poor baby. She might not have to act like that at home because…they carry her around or something. They seem uninterested in working with you to solve the problem. You have every right to not keep her. And it is her parents fault.

8 Likes

I dont mean to be unkind but i think her parents should change to another daycare . Just tell them the truth and make sure you tell them you have nothing against their child but you dont want to tske anything away from the time you should be with her or something like that

9 Likes

All kids are different. I think you just have to make a choice and decide if you can deal with this behavior or not. Some kids do better in different environments and/or with different adults and maybe this isn’t the best placement for her. Just tell the parents if you can’t watch her any more.

4 Likes

Video her behaviour :roll_eyes: simples :+1::england:

3 Likes

Be firm. Lay out expectations. You can play with friends and myself or you can sit and scream. She will come around eventually. Nap time put her by herself. Turn music up. Give her a doll. Explain its nap time. Quiet time. Rest time. We do not scream and we are quiet. Be firm cut caring. How long do you keep her? And hour to an hour and a half is enough time for a nap. Just saying in my own opinion.

6 Likes

This is very normal for kids especially a one year old. If you don’t think you can handle it then it’s time to stop.

4 Likes

Some children take a lot of attention others take very little. It’s up to you what you can an can’t handle. Possibly get an assistant for a few hours a day.
If you are thinking of letting her go tell them now and make the deadline your maternity leave so they have plenty of time to find someone.

2 Likes

Talk with them and if they continue to say well she doesn’t do this at home… Then kindly tell them it’s not working out and give them notice of termination. You have tried and that’s enough in my opinion. She isn’t the only one you take care of and that’s that.

8 Likes

She is 1! You sure are expecting a lot from a baby. My gosh. Yes, maybe you shouldn’t be watching her! Maybe, you shouldn’t be watching any kids if you don’t understand she is a baby. Then blaming her parents be ause she doesn’t fit into your schedule. Karma is going to teach how different babies are all different. I bet your new baby gives you the same “problems”! :wink:

21 Likes

She’s a year old. She’s been put into an environment she doesn’t know. This is honestly normal behaviors for that age. I worked in childcare over 10 years. Some kids take months to get used to a new place. I’d giver her parents notice (1 month) to find arrangements. This child also feels your tension which isn’t helping her. Let her go, but know this is very normal for 1 year olds and next one to take that spot could be even harder.

9 Likes

She may not like crowds and needs someone to watch her at home.

2 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t feel comfortable with you watching her since you’ve reached your irritation threshold with her already.

22 Likes

She needs one on one. I’d give her parents 2 weeks to find someone else. At least you tried

2 Likes

Let me add I highly doubt she doesn’t act like that at home. So it’s not your fault like I said she’s not the only child you take care of. She needs a daycare worker that can deal with her one on one with her behaviour when there is other kids that need your attention as well

Enough is enough now.

My youngest who is 3 has never ever been away from until he started preschool a week ago and he acts just like this at preschool it’s just how some kids are

1 Like

Not every kid and caregiver are a good fit. If she’s too much, give her parents notice to find a new caregiver.

5 Likes

The parents are at fault for not being proactive about their child’s behavior and trying to change it for her OWN good, which is sad, that’d be the last straw for me.

7 Likes

You are expecting a hell of a lot from 1 year old….

26 Likes

I mean, if this is your job for now you should really know how to deal with this kinda thing

5 Likes

Shes 1 yo. An only child In a totally new situation separated from her home and parents for the first time. Of course she’s clingy . My kids didn’t nap at all at that age no matter how much activity they had. They went to bed early instead…perhaps thats the same at her house. The parents can’t be expected to deal with a problem that doesn’t happen when she’s home and they don’t necessarily carry her about constantly…I didnt but they still fussed at that age if I wasn’t there…
If you can’t cope…tell the parents she’s not settling into your routine.

9 Likes

When she wakes up. Give her 1:1 time. Play a game. Colour. She just wants attention.

2 Likes

She’s 1. Like she is a literal baby herself. Babies are needy little things.

12 Likes

I’m shocked by the comments. She’s ONE. Not ten! Get a grip. You said she’s a only child, she’s used to one on one attention.

19 Likes

Some kids just don’t settle unfortunately :woman_shrugging: or maybe the mam holds her all the time at home but she is only 1 -a baby. Maybe she has autism and doesn’t like noise or being overcrowded. Speak with the parents , maybe ask them to bring in soothers or her favourite comfort toy or blanket!

Some kids just need the one on one. Plus she is only 1 years old and probably not used to being away from home. Try books or coloring while the other children are sleeping. If it’s too much in the end then you will have to let her parents know you can’t take care of her anymore.

2 Likes

If u do it for a living maybe take some courses? U can learn stuff that may help. (If u haven’t already)

7 Likes

Well she’s one it happens and at one a child can’t control there feelings as well as a 3 year old even at 3 it’s hard … she’s also use to being the only child it’s an adjustment for her also just like it is you :heart: but if you feel like you can’t handle it anymore or feel like it’s getting to be a bit much on you just tell the parents how you feel and that your not being rude or unkind that your pregnant and it’s getting to be a bit much for you that your sorry and you wish them the best

I think you can definitely tell the parents to find another place. You have to be able to give attention to all the other kids and this one is taking just too much time attention and energy from the rest of them. My mom also would watch kids and usually most would get the routing down after 1-2 weeks, definitely before a month. But here and there she would get one who was used to having ALL the attention and it just wouldn’t work out so my mom kindly told the parents that and they had to find another place. I remember one kid who would cry literally NONSTOP unless he was carried. And he was an extremely chunky one plus a very annoying cryer :joy: well turned out the parents would carry him 24/7 and even slept with him in their arms. He was about a year old. But they told me mom “he doesn’t cry at home”. :expressionless: yea because you had him carried all the time so he wouldn’t cry.
Enough was enough :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

You are able to chose your clients. That is the benefit of having your own business.

4 Likes

I just want to point out that she is 1…if she bothers you now, maybe try working with older kids instead

11 Likes

She’s 1…for the child’s sake, have her parents find someone else and don’t take on any more babies.

21 Likes

She’s one and in a different environment than what she’s used to. It will take her some time, but if you’re not equipped to handle children you can tell the parents so they can find adequate care for their child. This is very normal behavior for any child and I really don’t believe she acts like that at home because she’s comfortable at home. It isn’t your fault it’s just a change of environment and this baby doesn’t understand. Baby just needs patience and a schedule. I would also encourage not to take younger clients if you can’t handle this. It’s the perks of owning your own business, you get to pick your clients.

4 Likes

Wait. The child is a baby. The child needs comfort and understanding. If you are running a daycare you obviously need some training. As a parent of 6. I would be concerned of your frustration with a baby.

16 Likes

If this were my child and she was bothering you that bad I would prefer you just tell me you don’t have the patients to deal with my child and I need to find new arrangements :woman_shrugging:

19 Likes

this is very normal for a one year old. for the child’s sake… don’t have her anymore. and maybe work with older kids.

8 Likes

My 14 month old is the same way. I think that’s normal for their age. I think you might not be a good fit for her if it’s that much of an issue.

6 Likes

They probably need to hire a person nanny/sitter to come or their home in her environment.

4 Likes

Yeah tell the parents they need to find another daycare more suitable for her needs .

2 Likes

It sounds to me like you don’t like this BABY, she is a BABY! Quit watching her ASAP! !!! Before she gets anymore attacked to someone who don’t like her and can’t handle a normal one year old BABY behavior!!! And so her mom and find her a babysitter that will love her!!!

7 Likes

Shes 1. Sounds like she needs a different sitter because you are not suited for her needs as you are trying to suite the other children needs… and its okay … thats okay… if you address it now when you’ve clearly have voiced concerns :worried:. This is how bad things happen. If I was her parents I would already be looking for another caregiver

6 Likes

She’s 1 still a baby give her a break

7 Likes

She is one…it takes time to. Learn to be social… heck my 4 year old (just turned4) struggles to play nice! She a bossy whiny little thing because she is the youngest. DaycRe is redirecting when needed but. They have been patient with her strig personity… and now she sits still wjen needed , listens , and likesbto play whatvshe wants wjen she wants still. Lol

I think you should tell the parents that you can’t make it work. You obviously have a set routine and this baby is too young to adapt and too new to your daycare to have settled enough for you. After you have your baby I would take in an older child if you replace the slot. I think you will manage better.

2 Likes

This is normal for a one year old in daycare, doing daycare you have to realize that ALL kids are different, have different needs and personalities. She’s a baby…

12 Likes

I have been this provider and it’s your business like any other. Some clients work out and some…just don’t. Each child deserves the one on one time, not just one constantly. Maybe time for them to find her a different spot? And give them 2 weeks to find another daycare. You can’t dedicate your time to only one. I get she is little but it’s hard enough with multiple kids. Good luck to you dear!

3 Likes

i’ve worked in childcare for a very long time. One years old is a very difficult age for separation anxiety. It’s almost better if they start earlier or later. It will take time for the baby to adjust.

4 Likes

I’m ashamed that most of you ladies she’s not saying she can’t handle her at the moment she’s trying to get this child to interact with all the children that she has on top of the fact that she’s pregnant and if this continues after with a newborn she don’t want to have to come down to the option of getting rid of the child out of her daycare. And as she has said she has given this child one on one time the child just screams till the other kids are up there are some things that people can only take so long she said she’s had this child a couple months now I’m sorry if people don’t like this comment to the poster I hope you find a solution not every child is best fit to play with everybody my son he doesn’t like playing with other children he likes playing with adults because that’s what he’s around most of the time because his brother lives out of state and has very little contact with kids his own age because he was never put in daycares I don’t trust them no offense and yes he does go to children’s church group he gets along with those kids just fine but he doesn’t do the activities that they do he just goes off and plays with the blocks and shares when somebody comes over

9 Likes

I mean you write about her as if she were 4 or 5. I still remember my kids at 1 and I wouldn’t want them being watched by someone that seems to have some unrealistic expectations as to how all the little soldiers should fall in line. I wouldn’t be comfortable with you watching my kids at all. Please tell her parents to find someone else, for the child’s sake :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

No she probably doesn’t act like that at home…
She’s an only child. She’s not around other children at home. She doesn’t have any “competition” for attention or anything like that. Even play dates aren’t the same because her parents would be present while the other kids parents would be present. It’s completely different than being in a setting with one adult and multiple other children.
She’s also only 1.
My youngest was like a little duck following me around…whiny when he couldn’t… I could have disciplined him for it but I chose to roll with it instead :person_shrugging:
As he got older he got more independent on his own without intervention from me.

You also need to remember every child is different. Your schedule may work for the other kids but it’s obviously not working for her. Is there a way to tweak the schedule that doesn’t mess with the other kids?
You want her to interact with the other kids…but perhaps multiple kids at once is too much or too intimidating.
One is an age where interactions are mostly parallel play rather than all playing (for example) tag.

So before you write her off as a problem you might think about your expectations for her age and what actually is age appropriate.
You might consider whether there are accomodations that can be made that won’t mess you with other kids.

2 Likes

I would honestly just play with her. She wants to play and the other kids are content what’s the issue?

9 Likes

Yeah u shouldn’t have kids for a starter and u shouldn’t be licensed to have a daycare,.I think ur the problem

16 Likes

At 1 year they don’t normally interact with others.

13 Likes

I think the child may need a more one to one baby sitter as she’s disrupting your routine so daycare isn’t for her xx

10 Likes

You need to understand that she is the ONLY child at home. She is used to her mom and dad giving her all the attention. She is not used to that, while being in your care. If it is too much for you, be open and honest with her parents and suggest that they find a new sitter. She is also 1. She isn’t able to communicate with you just yet.

5 Likes

A one year old child? I don’t think she understands social skills yet, so you can’t force her to interact with others. Deal with her or tell her parents no.

10 Likes

Well it’s time for her to move on!!

1 Like

Tell the parents it’s not working out and move on. In home daycare is different than regular daycare centers. You can be more picky about who you take care of. Give the parents enough time to find another sitter. If she hasn’t adjusted months later she’s probably not gonna change.

13 Likes

Such conflicted opinions here, best of luck to the op

1 Like

I would tell her parents to look for a different sitter. Give them time to find one

2 Likes

As long as she’s not hurting herself or others you can ignore the negative behaviors, let her know that you’re right there if she needs you, but go right back to what you need to do, if you see her playing happily either with a friend or alone praise the good behavior, but every time she throws a fit or has negative behavior ignore it. Eventually she’ll start to understand that negative behavior won’t give her the attention she wants, make sure to really praise every good behavior you see. And remember it takes 6weeks to develop a habit, so be consistent and patient

12 Likes

If it’s not working, it’s not working. You don’t have to make yourself miserable for them. Explain to them as nice as possible that you just can’t do it. She’s not adapting and it’s making things difficult for everyone else.

12 Likes

Sounds like they need to find a nanny to do one on one attention for this babyb

4 Likes

I know this child is only 1. But as the OP said, this child has been in her are for a few months this now. Now weeks, not days, months. Same routine everyday. It shouldn’t take months for kids to understand a routine. Especially one that’s everyday. When my oldest was 1, it took him about a weekish to get use to going to a day home. Just do what you think is best for you. If they parents aren’t willing to help you with the problem then maybe think about letting the child go. Not all 1 year olds are like this though.

3 Likes

I think just keep doing what your doing. It’s probably a big adjustment for her which will take more time unfortunately. Try getting more things for her to do that are age based for her. I know it’s discouraging but just keep on…your doing a good job

2 Likes

I know you have an entire group of kiddos to watch but try and organize a game where you’re not involved. You could always buy some sidewalk chalk too, simple and easy. The little one giving you a hard time I don’t think is trying to be difficult. Being an only child and her parents might be to busy to play with her. She might just be overwhelmed and craving the need for someone to give her undivided attention. Since there’s a possibility she doesn’t get that at home, she’s confiding in you to give her that. She doesn’t understand you can’t spend every second with her. If you bought some chalk and sat near the other kids watching them play and giving positive feedback she may join in willingly. If you asked her to just sit with you and you just put your arm around her so she feels comforted and safe with you, she might feel safe enough to join the other kids and willingly play with them. If she doesn’t wanna go down for a nap with the other kids, don’t fight it. It’ll just make her more upset and she’ll start screaming. Try and quietly spend time with her, maybe sit her on your lap and read her a book or make it a game and see who can be the quietest. Reward her for good behavior, use words she’ll understand, she’s most likely just a kiddo that needs the praise and approval of someone she loves. If she doesn’t get that at home because her parent(s) are to busy, she might be acting out because she thinks that’s the only way she’ll get your attention.

Have them find another sitter.

2 Likes

How does she react when her parents come to get her? Maybe there’s something going on at home. :woman_shrugging: Maybe she is getting all her attention at daycare and so any attention (whether positive or negative) is comforting to her.

8 Likes

My gut instinct reading your post is something else is going on that’s causing her to withdraw.

2 Likes

To much is to much. Don’t watch her anymore. You have other children to tend to.

2 Likes

A one year old baby? That is normal behavior developmentally, and is a good indicator of a healthy attachment which is crucial to development. Both my daughters were like this and wanted skin to skin often and one on one time constantly, i babywore alot when they were overstimulated or tired. If you can’t handle her needs for one on one connection I would let her parents know because that isn’t fair to her. I’m sure she can sense your aggrevation which also could be amplifying the need for connection. When she’s with you, she doesn’t have access to her momma- so you are essentially part time mommy in her eyes.

13 Likes

If you can’t handle a normal one year old you probably should reconsider your career choice.

12 Likes

She’s 1, she’s still a baby. Not all kids are the same and some need more attention then others. Honestly, if you cant handle her then maybe you should ask the parents to find a new sitter.

8 Likes

She is an only child and is used to socializing with adults. She isn’t used to socializing with children; because there aren’t any at home.

This child needs to socialize and adjust; and that will take patience and time, and possibly talking to the parents about making play dates. You could also do pairing activities with the children daily in part of your routine.

8 Likes

She could be autistic, my son was like that when he was that age. I ended up having to take him out and bring him home because he never adjusted.

3 Likes

This is a ONE year old baby. They need extra care and love. Please help the parents find s sitter who can handle being what this baby needs. Definitely take some parenting classes before the little little one arrives.

12 Likes

Stop watching her. Tell her parents to find someone else care for her.

Don t take her back after maternity leave. Maybe she’ll grow out of it

1 Like

I had a home daycare and wouldn’t watch any children under 2. We had a schedule we followed. My daycare, my preference! I tried to watch a baby here and there and it never worked. Plus…we work hard! We need our 2 hour nap time…lol! But for real! Good luck. Let that little one go with no hard feelings.

10 Likes

I’ve seen too many stories about bad things happening while in the care of a sitter. You should probably just tell the parents that you don’t think you’re the right fit for their child and they can go elsewhere before you lose your shit.
…its understandable. Kids are hard. Which is why you shouldn’t try to make something work when it doesn’t

She needs attention…she just wants to be with her momma…give her time…

2 Likes

As an in home daycare provider myself. We deal with alot and many children at once. We are cooks, maids, butlers and teachers. It’s super hard to put all our attention on one child who needs extra attention. Alll the children require attention along with their daily needs. My best advice is you tried, not all children are a match for our home daycare. She may need somewhere that has multiple employees so someone can attend to her as she needs more 1 on 1 attention to adapt. It’s okay not all children will always be a match for our homes and established groups. However is best to let her go so she can go somewhere where her needs are met while also you can attend to the remainder of your kids.

14 Likes

After leaving My Previous Job 10 months ag0, i’ve Had some good luck to Learn about this website which was A life-saver for me… They offer jobs For which People can work 0nline From their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 m0nths was for $17890…
Amazing thing about is that The 0nly thing required is simple Typing skills and access To internet…

Read all about IT Here… https://HugeDollars171.pages.dev

Well give it more time and if things dont improve then tell the parents to look elsewhere. She is an only child and obviously has social issues(alot of only children do) probably missing her parents too. She doesnt do the things at home because she gets all the attention. Id go put her by a toy, or other small kids to play with sometimes kids need a push

She may not act like that at home because she probably gets that full attention. She may have separation anxiety but she also only one…so I mean it isn’t really out of the ordinary for a child that age to be so needy, especially if she is getting that full attention at home or if she isn’t getting it at home she may be needing it more there. It could be a number of things and not all meaning there is something actually wrong with her.

1 Like

I’d say help the parents find a sitter that can attend her needs. I can tell you are in a lot of pressure and with a new born coming, the child would end up extremely jealous. Not good for you or the baby.

1 Like

Child abuse is a quiet child soul killer. It may be normal anxiety, but be vigilant in case she needs intervention.

3 Likes

First off don’t take any advice from these people who are saying she’s one this is normal behavior blah blah blah and trying to make you out to be the bad guy. You have other children to tend to, you tried your best, sounds like you’ve been pretty patient to me. I’d give the parents a 2 week notice or whatever is in your agreement and let them know it’s not working out. Maybe she needs more of a traditional daycare that isn’t like a home environment and where there’s other adults that can help. Good luck! Sounds like you’re a great provider :blush:

6 Likes

Enough is enough. The parents are lying to you. There no way she’s behaving like this just for you?

6 Likes

If she is only 1 she might need to go to bed earlier and have a second nap later in the day. If she is that unhappy it sounds like the parents need to find another setting.

2 Likes

Not all children behave to same. Not even identical twins. She just has a different personality. Give her the exta attention now and if she still needs the extra attention after you have yours tell the parents you won’t be able to care for her then. My grand identical twins were quite opposite but would switch personalities about every 6 months. Her gentle spirit is just more loving and touching I think. I would not just write her off just yet. Prayers for you both. Some need more than others​:heart::pray:

1 Like