What are cold sores? Are they STD's?

Peppermint oil dries mine out almost instantly. Put it on when you first feel the tingle & it’ll prevent it from even popping out.

It’s herpes simplex which is a different herpes than std. You can get medication to control them. They are able to be TRF by kissing.

I get them every single year its nothing to worry about. I get them during the summer or fall. Walmart has a cold sore treatment it’ll be gone in about 3 days or so

A cold sore is a form of a herpe… meaning it’s a part of the herpe virus. Stress and certain foods can cause them to form.

1 Like

Stress will bring them on for sure. Get Herpicin-L, looks like chap stick, as soon as you feel the itch-tingling start using it. It’ll be gone by next day.

They are a form of herpes. So is the chicken pox and shingles though.

They are part of the herpes virus. My mom gets them when ever shes extremely stressed.

5 Likes

Lots of time you just get them if you have run a fever

Similar family to the STD…important to remember Herpes I can be transferred to Herpes 2 sites and vice versa.

4 Likes

Constipation also a reason.

Don’t be feeling insecure or guilty. Tell him to do his research if he starts asking questions

I get them if I am stressed or if someone touches my mouth with their hands. And it’s not an std but it can be transferred to others that’s why it they say don’t kiss a baby on the face because they can get really sick from it.

Cold sores and the herpes virus are not the same. Most people do not realize that if you do have herpes, they can be spread from mouth to genitals and vice versa. A simple cold sore is much easier to treat and doesn’t spread as easily. Use soap to clean it, dab it with some sea salt in warm water, and dab a little tea tree oil on it.

L-sine
Take 2 X a day
It has worked for me
Get it in the vitamin section

Take a Lysine supplement you do not need drugs! And tell that jerk to shove it…little kids gets cold sores :roll_eyes:

Please please PLEASE DON’T kiss the baby when you have an outbreak. This is 100% why I dont let people kiss my babies. No need to spread it. But the above comments are spot on. I just wanted to try and help keep the baby healthy❤

L-Lysine is a a natural tablet I take 1 x 1000mg a day and it keeps them away. I too have them since childhood. Extra stress , under the weather, the hot sun, wind all used to make me have an outbreak

Get a match, wet the tip and rub it on the fever blister…the sulfur will kill it…

I also have had it since I was little. I have been with my husband for 20+ years and never given it to him. But whenever I get a breakout we don’t kiss. My remedy is a simple supplement. As soon as you feel it tingle. Take 2. Then 1 every 12hrs until fully healed. L-lysine 1000mg. Sometimes it doesn’t even fully pop out. 3 days maybe tops if you catch it in time. I haven’t had a full one in years

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. What are cold sores? Are they STD's? - Mamas Uncut

Yes a cold sore is another form of the herpes virus but instead of being “downstairs” its just on your lip.

Also DO NOT KISS YOUR BABY IF YOU GET A BREAKOUT. It has killed infants before.

21 Likes

I’d be more worried about baby it can be deadly no kissing baby and wash hands frequently …but no its not an std

14 Likes

It is an STD. If you have an outbreak and give him oral, he can get it on his private. Or if you kiss him as well. Be careful with your newborn because you can pass it on to your baby as well.

7 Likes

you’re not alone. I’ve also had them throughout my life since I was a kid. I only get them on my lips, and it’s usually when I’m very stressed, anxious or I know that like a big event is gonna happen. also, I rip the skin off my lips as a form of dermotillamania and then they get infected and I’ll get one. they can definitely be passed during an outbreak, and are especially dangerous around newborns. be careful and good luck :black_heart:

7 Likes

My youngest son has had those off and on since birth. The only way I am able to rid of them is Flintstone vitamins . Fast acting with flare ups. Within a day he has relief . This is just what works for him God luck ! No one in my house has ever gotten STD . Brought on by stress

5 Likes

I get them especially bad during the winter when I’m sick or what not, I wouldn’t be ashamed of it I hate getting them I feel a little rough looking but oh well you just had a baby so congratulations on that momma!!

3 Likes

First of all, you’re beautiful and you just had a miracle baby from the Lord. You might be older, but that doesn’t matter! You need to believe in yourself and he should be helping you through this postpartum time. I wish you the best!!!

4 Likes

Just don’t do oral and also DONT kiss baby if you have a cold sore as it can make baby really sick and/or kill baby.

2 Likes

You can get a cold sore (herpes simplex 1) and have never had sex. So no its not a STD

That said if you give someone oral sex and you have a active cold sore, they can then get herpes on their penis/vulva.

Never kiss a baby while having a cold sore, it can cause severe health problems and even death.

1 Like

Cold sores are very common… You can get rx from Dr to keep them at bay. Also over the counter Abreva.

5 Likes

Cold sores are a form of herpes, they can be spread through oral sex. If you had a cold sore and had oral sex you could give them to your boyfriend who could in fact give them back to you during intercourse. Don’t do oral if you notice a sore coming and you will be fine.

2 Likes

It is a form of herpes and yes stress and eating a lot of acidic foods can cause an outbreak. My sister and Dad get them but I luckily have not experienced one so far. I know they are painful. My aunt swears by keeping a silver spoon in her freezer and anytime she feels one coming on she will ice down that with the spoon every few hours.

1 Like

Cold sores did originally derive from herpes, but it isn’t the same. MANY people get them, even from childhood. I did. Your boyfriend sounds very ignorant and immature. A simple prescription of Valtrex or similar medication will quickly nip it in the bud. Remember, cold sores are still a virus and therefore contagious, so be careful.

As for the PPD, get help. Don’t sit on it and try to “get over it” on your own. Talk to your doctor. I speak from experience. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and more women than you think suffer from it.

3 Likes

If your feeling a outbreak coming on hun go to the chemist you can get a tablet for like $20 over the counter that will stop it in its tracks and gone in like 3 days tops depending how far through the breakout you are. These tablets are amazing although I can not remember what they are called right now lol. Hope this helps x

1 Like

I new a lady that suffered from cold sores for years and started drinking distilled water and the went away… not sure if that would help you but I know it helped her

it could be a form of herpes. you should get tested. I have a form of herpes and i take medication to help control it. And your man sounds unsupportive.

I take L-Lysine when I feel one coming on. 1500 mg. Twice a day. There is also L-Lysine ointment in the chapstick aisle. Stress and anxiety cause mine but have learned these two things are a life saver. And I always have them on hand Good luck with your new baby! Congrats! No kisses for baby till you clear up! :heart:

1 Like

I got 2 after having a c-section with my little boy I’ve suffered all my life with them but now as I’m alot older I only get them when I’m run down they are not a std. Make sure you get as much rest as possible and get something for it and wash your hands regularly xx

Most people who get cold sores have had them since being children.its usually a family member that gives it to them in the first place through not washing cups etc properly/sharing towels/being kissed as a kid. While it is a form of herpes, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. More people get them than don’t

Most cold sores on the lips are type-1 and generally are not sexual transmitted by sexual contact. There are some people that are also non-transferable, carry but don’t spread it. Doesn’t mean not to take precautions. The reason people tend to break out when stressed is because you immune system is low. Usually stress or sickness causes outbreak. L-lysine is a very beneficial thing to take to prevent outbreak. It is for lip health.

3 Likes

He more than likely has simplex 1 now, it’s contagious- it’s common , honestly that’s a conversation you should’ve had with him before kissing or being intimate. It can be embarrassing… no doubt but honesty is the best policy ALWAYS for everyone- get with a counselor or therapist , tell them about everything and go from there- the internet is the worst place to seek advice for things like this . Professional and medical advice is what is warranted here

Not sure if it’s been suggested but I have found straight apple cider vinegar dried them up in a few days. Good luck honey :heart:

Cold sores are technically herpes but technically speaking it’s a form of herpes pretty much everyone has and no it’s not the one you get from sex

6 Likes

Cold sores are a form of herpes and can be passed to partners.

You can use Vanilla Essence it will burn but will help

Use lysine L it is something you need that you don’t have enough of

Camhpo Phenique Burns like hell but will be gone in a day. Inside or outside of mouth.

3 Likes

Fever blisters/ cold sores are very common. My dad gets them, my sisters get them, I get them. Anytime I’m sick or stressed I will get one. If he seriously thinks you cheated or something on him because you get a fever blister that’s pretty dumb. You can ask your Doctor for a prescription for valacyclovir. It’s a pill, take when you feel it coming on and it usually doesn’t even come up. If you cant do pills there is also a cream that works very good as well, I use the cream.

But yes they can be contagious and like some else
Mentioned don’t kiss your baby while you have one that’s active.

1 Like

cold sores are due to lack of vitamin C… i get them in the fall too…

My son gets them when the dog licks him on the mouth

Talk to your doc and his doctor about taking valtrax!!

1 Like

I use to get them all the time …it’s a form of herpes simplex Dr can prescribe something for you…

Lysin. Start taking it now. It’s in the vitamin isle.

Cold sores are most dangerous for your baby- the virus can kill a baby. Go to the doctor and get valtrex NOW and do not kiss your baby til it’s gone, practice good hand washing etc

No std but u can give them to others I’ve heard idk for a fact

1 Like

Oral herpes and genital herpes are different. Oral herpes does not mean you have an STD on your mouth. That being said, it can be spread to the genitals if oral sex is given during a cold sore breakout. Genital herpes can also be spread to someone’s mouth if the genitals have a herpes outbreak. Therefore, when you have a cold sore breakout, don’t kiss anyone or give oral sex to anyone. Also, DO NOT kiss your baby when you have a breakout. They are detrimental to a baby’s health. (Don’t feel bad about having cold sores. It’s a virus that is severely contagious.)

1 Like

They’re the worst! Ask the dr for valcyclovir (if you’re breast feeding and it’s safe for the baby) but start treating it with abreva or peroxide before it surfaces.

It is a form of the herpes virus, and they are contagious, but also very common.

1 Like

Having a cold sore does not necessarily mean you have an STD. Most of the cold sores are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1), which usually affects the lips and is not generally transmitted by sexual contact. Though less common, cold sores may be caused by another type of herpes simplex virus called HSV-2.Sep 8, 2020
https://www.medicinenet.com › article
Do Cold Sores Mean You Have an STD? - MedicineNet

2 Likes

How young is this guy? Tell him to google it :grimacing:

I’ve had cold sore outbreaks since I was an infant and it is very common. DON’T kiss your baby if you feel one coming up, that’s how I got my first outbreak. Stress and/or illness can very easily cause an outbreak. Cold sores are not an STD but so many many people see the word herpes and freak out because they are uneducated about it. Sounds like your partner is very immature and unwilling to listen to common sense, maybe he needs to go into the doctor with you and have the doctor explain this to him. Take lysine daily to help with cold sores, it’s in the vitamin section at Walmart and most stores. You can also get prescription meds if your outbreaks are really severe like mine

1 Like

I 100% wouldn’t date someone w cold soares they are herpies on ur face and telling ur partner is required. It’s like the delta variety is still covid…cold soares are still herpies, just a variation!

11 Likes

If you truly think am outbreak is coming on, do not kiss your baby. You can pass it on to them. I think a lot of people today probably had it unknowingly passed to them as children.

1 Like

My 5 year old has HSV1 and he caught it when he was 1 from sharing a toy… HSV1 is NOT an STD he gets cold sores under his nose or typically most people get them on their mouths and when they are sick or stressed. They are contagious and the way of passing would be sharing things like drinks or kissing. HSV2 is genital herpes which is a form of STD.

2 Likes

No cold sores are not an std. Everyone loses hair after giving birth. It’s natural. Dont rely on google for answers. Not reliable at all. But yes they could be contagious until they scab up because they are a herpes simplex virus 1.
Now if it is simplex 2 (Genital Herpes) it can be defined as an std if transmitted through infected genital areas but cold sores nope.
Just tell him ypu have a cold sore and to wait because you dont feel well about possibly giving him a cold sore.

If you’ve had it since you were a child, it couldn’t possibly be an STD. I had the same problem as a kid and still sometimes get them during the colder months. Your baby daddy is an uneducated asshole.

U can also get cold sores from medication and dry mouth ivd had them from meds and certain vitmin deficiencies
Id search online school him that its not always caused by stds and everybody has the virus in their system and tell him u are prone to them from stress had them since you were a kid and also hair loss etc id get a good vitamin they help and dont feel embarrassed because you got canker sores it happens it not your fault or because you got std or your not a clean person im sure your beautiful even if you dont feel like you are hugs

I’ve had cold sores since I was maybe 10. Yes, it’s in the same category as herpes but it’s not an STD. The doctor said the same virus that causes chicken pox causes the cold sores. The cold sores started about a year after I had chicken pox. When you feel one coming, be careful. Don’t kiss him or the baby. Get Abreva. If it gets really bad, go to the doctor and get antibiotics. Don’t be embarrassed. You did nothing wrong and he should educate himself!!!

The cold sores you have could either be HSV1 or HSV2. You wil need to get blood tests done to see which one you have. Cold sores are indeed herpes- there are various types. HSV1 is cold sores and HSV2 is Genital herpes. BOTH can live on your face, genitals, etc,

2 Likes

Most likely it’s what they call impetigo. I get them under my nose or on the side of a nostril. I’ve never had them on my lip but it’s common. It’s not an STD but you can catch it from others by kissing or sharing straws and such. Tell your bf to do his research and not judge.

The point here, for the OP, is that she didn’t get her oral cold sores sexually and they are type 1. But she could spread them to anyone, to different areas of the body, usually through skin to skin contact when the virus is active (and some say when it’s not). Type 1 and 2 are both herpes virus, both contagious, but generally occur on different areas, oral and genital respectively. Take partner to the doctor to explain it to him. Be careful until sores are dry.

2 Likes

First of all, for anyone who says I would never date anyone with a cold sore, nobody wants to date someone as judgemental and ugly on the inside as you anyway. Some people contact the virus as a child and have no control over that. So keep your judgemental comments to yourself and let us all pray that you never fall ill or get some diagnosis that your significant other “absolutely” can’t be with you over. And to answer the question, DO NOT ever be ashamed of something that is a part of YOU. L-Lysine is a vitamin, it will help stop your outbreaks, take it daily, once a week, just take it. As soon as you feel one coming, that is when you start treating it. It will cut down the time it’s there. Hand washing, and DO not kiss or share anything with your boyfriend or child. It’s so common, so treatable, and guess what…so okay. If he can’t see past a cold sore, find you a man worthy of you and that baby.

Call your Dr they can prescribe you some Valtrex because it is in the “herpes” family. Take it and in a couple days it will clear up then when you feel it coming on as most who get them all the time can tell take a pill and it will stop the outbreak.

They are herpes simplex virus 1 but they are common for a lot of people. A lot of people have that and no signs of cold sores at all. Just don’t kiss your baby please you don’t want to transfer they are very contagious! Your bf is 12 years younger than you so he probably is immature compared to your age it’s not a big deal id not say anything unless he brings it up then you can look up information about it together so he can see how common it really is!

2 Likes

Ok,ok… relax mama… first thing have your doctor prescribe you some 50,000 vitamin D tablets. Take once a week for Hair loss. Take your prenatal everyday. Cold sores are like every other rash. They go away . Just don’t kiss while you have it. They can be passed many ways . Def not an std! Tell your husband to back the fuck off… you need to have your blood check to see what your deficient in. Post pardem can be caused from lack of nutrition. My hair is still falling out and it’s driving me nutz…

It’s hpv1. Herpes. It’s actually pretty common. More people have it then they know.

No they are not stds.

If you have had it since childhood more than likely an adult kissed when they had a cold sore and passed it onto u. And unfortunately it is technically a form of herpes. Unfortunately it’s happened to sm1 close to me that way. Good luck to u hun.

So stress can cause a flare up as well as a multitude of other things. Get on triple amino acids (daily) and drink plenty of water. I have had them as long as I can remember also. I’m guessing sometime in my youth I contracted it. See a doc about getting a prescription to keep on hand as soon as you feel that first tingle and it will cut the time down on the sore. I also use alcohol or germ x on the sore to dry it out as much as possible to prevent other blisters from forming. Never kiss your baby or your partner while you are contagious.

You should never be embarrassed with your own partner. If he/she makes you feel like you did something wrong then really are they the person you want to go thru life with?

2 Likes

Don’t kiss your baby with a cold sore. They are very bad for babies.

2 Likes

Cold sores are a form of herpes. Theyre not a big deal though. Especially if you only get them once a year like you say. Ive gotten them my whileife. I suspect i got them from my mom being careless and kissing me or something while she had one.

You shouldn’t be embarrassed. I’ve only gotten one as an adult(when extremely stressed)but had them often when I was a kid. But you can spread it to both your boyfriend and your baby. Be aware that cold sores are relatively harmless for children and adults but can be very dangerous if you give it to your baby. So no kissing either one but especially your 3 month old.

I’ve had cold sores for 26 years and I break out really bad all over my chin! I get them when I am stressed or when I am getting over a cold!
I have been tested for herpes over and over again and it’s come back negative! I have had ex boyfriends that had never had a cold sore catch one from me. Don’t rely on Google.
My mom also had them for 50 years and never passed one to my dad or brother. My poppa had them for 70 years and never passed one to my nan. It’s more common then you think!

I had to get a prescription cream from the doctor to help with mine because over the counter stuff didn’t work!

1 Like

It is a form of herpes yes and highly contagious do not do oral sex if you have one or think your getting one bc the virus that sticks with you can be transmitted through a cold sore… but it’s only if you put your mouth on his private area… I have battled the same thing since I was a kid. But so long as you do not have oral sex he can not catch the one that actually gives you outbreaks. If you kiss him or drink after him or eat after him you can just give him the cold sore… which will go away (which you obviously know) mine are also stress related or trauma related anytime I eat something super spicy. I get them and I got a sunburn on my lips one time and got one. But one cold sore does not mean you have herpie or multiple cold sore your just prone to them is all I have been tested multiple time (every time I have a baby I have 3 and a few yrs ago I went to this doctor cause I was having pain in my stomach and he swore I had an std he tested tested me for every type of std you can get and it was all negative. I went to another doctor because at this point I was pissed. Because this doc almost broke up my relationship because my bf at time now husband thought I was cheating bc of this doctor anyhow went to another doctor come to find out I have endometriosis anyhow sorry for long comment but yes if you have oral sex it can give the partner the one that sticks with you and if you kiss him eat or drink after him or use same tooth brush you can give him a cold sore but it is not the bad one and you will not test positive for herpies even if you have a cold sore

Ask your Dr for a rx of acyclovir cream for your lip and oral pill, it drys it out fast and cuts down the days of the cold sore. Not an STD and your hair it happens to mlm most pregnant women around 3 months post partum.

It’s ignorance. A lot of people have the virus but not the outbreaks. If he’s that concerned tell him to stay away for a bit

1 Like

I’ve been getting them since I was a kid as well. It happens when I am stressed or my immune system is down. I take daily vitamins and supplements to keep my immune system up and try not to stress too much. Sometimes things are not avoidable though. Your bf needs to read more or ask his doctor. Just don’t kiss anyone or share drinks or anything like that. Ask your doctor for medication or suggestions on treating it.

1 Like

Hsv1 it can be transmitted by kissing the baby or kissing your man and is very dangerous to your baby but it can also be transmitted from your mouth to your man down there if you were to go down on him. Stress does bring it to outbreak and you can ask your dr to prescribe meds that’ll lessen the outbreak and shorten its process. The sooner it dries and scabs the sooner it goes away. If you have more than 2 outbreaks a year or something like that your dr can prescribe you something daily to take an ativiral to prevent frequent outbreaks especially if your stressed Rn. Don’t kiss anyone and wash your hands it’s annoying but it’s not something to keep from telling him most people get hsv1 as kids but it can be transmitted to down there keep that in mind

Technically they are and almost everyone has them. Herpes simplex 1

It is cat organized as an STD do not kids the baby!!! Cold sore could be life threading to a child do not share out of drink ups ever wash hands if you touch your face you can be contagious days before signs of an outbreak !!

If you have been getting them most of your life then you probably got it through one of your parents. When we’re kids we drink from their glasses and use their silverware, and if they were having an out break it is very easily spread from that, or even a kiss. Most people I’ve known that has had cold sores starting from a young age, this is how it happened to them. Honestly I was lucky I have never had one bc I used to drink out of my moms glass when she would tell me not too and she has gotten them my whole life. Dont be embarrassed by it, especially if you have had them since you were little, most people have the virus in their system.

1 Like

As pretty much everyone has stated on the cold sore aspect of your post…
I’d also like to tough base and let you know that it is completely normal to have massive amounts of hair loss after birthing a child. It’s your hormones fighting to go back to their norm. & No, I promise you won’t go bald from it. Also, it can cause your face to break out really bad as well.

1 Like

Whether you call it a cold sore or a fever blister, oral herpes is a common infection of the mouth area that is caused by herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1).

They are very contagious, so regardless I think you should tell him… There are patches you can get to cover them to help them heal when you have an outbreak. Don’t kiss him when you feel it starting to come and get those patches to cover it up!
They are extremely common so don’t feel embarrassed just take the right measures to prevent the spread of them!

And the PP hair loss and stress will go away but if you are really struggling talk to your doctor :two_hearts:

1 Like

Actually chances are he had the virus in His body as well I get them every one min awhile when I stress really bad but I also had them since childhood but honest I think last time I looked into it over 90% of the population has the virus In their body weather or not they have had an outbreak

Sounds like you need a new partner if he freaks out over a cold sore.

2 Likes

There seems to be an educational barrier on his end…

4 Likes

Aquaphor, really helps them go away & stay away . I’m not saying it treats it for good but definitely makes it go away faster.
Don’t kiss on your baby.
:roll_eyes::woman_shrugging: :woman_facepalming: ask your baby daddy to come with you, have a flash light , pull down your pants :jeans:tell him to look u over for cold sores down there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:
I get them also on lip or right below my lip… but never had one “down there”.
Don’t be embarrassed btw, almost everyone gets them.

They are contagious but the only way u can get them is by kissing someone with a cold sore on their mouth

I get them occasionally, usually stress related. I take lysine supplements when I feel like I’m getting one. I wash my hands frequently change my toothbrush after regardless of where I get it.
I dont kiss anyone or share drinks.
A lot of people get them, you shouldn’t be feeling so worried about it and hopefully he grows up a little and can learn to support your body changes rather than make you feel worse. Stay strong!

1 Like