Tips on increasing milk supply?

Any breast feeding moms have any tips for not pumping enough milk? I didn’t start lactating until days after having my son. I started by breast feeding him here and there in between formula feeds and then wic gave me a pump two days ago and told me to feed him every 2 hours then pump after but when I pump I’m barley getting anything out… what can I do and or why am I not producing enough milk?

2 Likes

First off, pumping is not an indication of your actual supply, i know it seems like thats how it would work, but it doesnt. Lol Breastfeeding is all supply and demand, the more often you’re removing milk, the more your body says to make. That said, what you said about your milk coming in is normal, it can take up to a week or so for milk to actually come in in the beginning for some people. Make sure you’re eating enough during the day, stay hydrated (there is no magic food or drink to instantly boost your supply, the supply boosting foods/drinks work because you NEEDED the nutrients), put baby to breast for every feeding session, even if only for a few minutes before switching to a bottle, try to add a power pump session or 2 into your days, schedule pumping sessions so you aren’t over doing it, but ensuring you’re getting enough in your day. My biggest advice though, speak to a certified LC, they can and will help you establish a plan for increasing supply if needed, ensuring a good latch (which can also effect supply), and so much more. They’re your go-to during breastfeeding for advice and help.

2 Likes

Baby atbreast gets more out than a pump. Your supply will increase with time. The more baby nurses the more your body will adjust. There are lactation cookies and drinks you can find in most grocery stores. Gatorade and oatmeal are lactating boosters as well.

You can power pump for a week. You can also try consuming oats, dark beers, brewers yeast and coconut water. All of those are said to help

It takes time to build your supply, if baby has been formula feeding and you have just started pumping you will need to nurse him then while you pump someone should give him formula or if available, expressed breast milk. As your pumping and his nursing stimulates you to make more milk, he should take less from the bottle. Get up at night to pump at least twice. Best of luck!

Skin to skin with baby
A bowl or 2 of steel cut oatmeal each day.
Lactation drinks or cookies.
Well balanced diet and eat frequently.
Stay well hydrated, coconut water, milk, Gatorade etc…

I was an exclusive pumper- to get your supply up- be on it for 15-30 minutes every three hours, round the clock for several days to a week. Supply will increase dramatically

Eating porridge a couple of times a day and oatmeal snap jacks and drink as much water as possible all help.