Thoughts on home daycares?

I’m considering putting my child into an in-home daycare for more attention. He isn’t doing well in the daycare he is in now. Any thoughts?

5 Likes

My boys were both in home daycares oldest till he was 5 youngest until we moved where we didn’t know anyone. It worked out well for us and the care givers we were lucky to find still love our boys and are apart of our lives to this day and my oldest is 17 youngest is 7.

Grannie care is the best and should help bpth

1 Like

If you find a good one they are amazing. Unfortunately there are plenty of not-good ones. Make sure they are licensed, insured, you are comfortable with the home and neighborhood, and of course any other family that may be in the home while your kids are there. My boys have been going to the same in-home daycare since my oldest was 6 weeks old. They are family to us.

1 Like

My daughter is in an inhome and I work in a school setting daycare. I personally like both but my daughter LOVES HERS . She even calls her daycare lady grandma instead of by her name . She loves her . Just like I have kids that hug me at my daycare and say they love me ( and I love my students) its about finding a good one though and one that fits with you

I’ve always preferred in home. I have had 2 different ones that have been great.
Only reason I left was due to moving or distance to new jobs.
I am sure there are those that are bad. Follow your instinct, if you visit a home and it makes you uncomfortable don’t take the chance!
But I’ve also had a good experience with public daycare as well.

Unfortunately a lot of in homes don’t follow licensing rules as closely as they should there also is no accountability because you usually have one maybe two people there. So if something happens you’ll be hard pressed to get the truth out of them. Maybe look for a center with a smaller class size?

My youngest was in a home daycare until he started pre k. It was cheaper and more one on one and I loved it. In Florida they can only have so many children

Make sure it’s a licensed and insured in home daycare. May people go this route to try to get around licensing, regulations, and insurances. Also be aware that your child might not get much more attention than they were getting in a center. There are still multiple children per person working the in home daycare which spreads individual attention very thin. That being said, there are some truly amazing in home daycares out there.

If you want truly one on one attention for your child, consider hiring a nanny. This will give your child undivided attention and personalized care.

I had a home daycare for 4 years. I loved every minute of it, until I didn’t. My kids were 4 and 2 1/2 when I decided to go back to work. Watch and make sure that person is on the beginning phases of home daycare and not the end. I got burnt out. And it wasn’t fair to the kids. It didn’t last long, but when I knew I was ready to be done, I was. I got that opportunity to raise my kids from baby to toddler. Made me feel comfortable being home with them and I made money! 2 things:. 1. Look for burn out, stress, or forgetfulness. Signs of struggle. May consider someone else. 2. How many kids are in the daycare. If she has any more than 2 babies under 1, I wouldn’t trust it. Unless she has help. That’s alot and the reason why I only accepted 1 baby at a time. Any questions, ask me. Good luck!

1 Like

In home is all I’ve ever had my kids in. Because I work insane hours it was best. Just watch your kid for signs they don’t like it. I have a sitter I’ve had for years and she’s like a grandmother to my kids. They are out there I promise

I love love love mine.

Ours has become family. :heart: We are very lucky!

My sister adores the in-home daycare my nephew goes to. The provider is like family to them. If you are in the US, contact your local CPS/DHS/DCFS, whatever you have and they can tell you what daycares they certify.

Home daycare was our best choice. Were all life long friends now.

Mine is a retired elementary school teacher and we love her. My 20 month old knows her ABCs and how to count to 10

You’ll know what’s right for you and your family.

It just depends in the daycare. Make sure u drop in at random times without notifying the owner. My kids were in a home daycare and at first it was great but the lady was way too strict and it seemed like the older she got the less patience she had. One day she called me to go pick up my son cause he got in trouble. When i got there he was in the living room by himself. He got in trouble because he asked for more syrup!!! WTF!!! Needless to say after a few choice words and for fear of beating the c#$& out of her we left and never went back. It was ridiculous. The next day she called back asking why he wasn’t there. I hung on her. Oh amd I reported her too but unfortunately she wasn’t shut down. I think she is closed now. Oh and of course she had favorites and favorite parents!!! So just be on the look out for certain things. It will all work out for you!

I’ve used both. I prefer the home daycare setting over the facility. It feels more like home, obviously. There are less kids, and you really get to know the sitters on a more personal level. They are actually a little cheaper where we are from also. DHS has a list of home daycares along with their star rating. I went to a few before I chose the one I sent my kids to.

We love our home daycare. But be extra picky. The first home daycare we took my daughter over charged me. Then her son bit my daughter and she denied it… The second one ( which we use now) is absolutely amazing. Our kids love her

Also with in home carers take into consideration when the carer or their own children are unwell or unavailable for any reason, ie an emergency or personal event, there may not be a back up option for you/ your child also their hours and availability in school holidays etc.

Get references. I keep kids in my home and do so because it scares me to leave my own with someone else. When you choose one ask your kid a lot of questions and please question the caregiver when he tells you anything is amiss. But always believe him unless they have a good explanation or reason for any bad behavior towards him. Ask to observe for a day or for a few hours!

1 Like

How long has your child been in the current center? It takes 4-6 weeks or more for a child to adapt to a new environment. Especially, if they’ve only been around you. Also, tell him he’s going to school/daycare, whatever you want to call it. Tell him you’ll be back, don’t sneak away. Start out coming back after a short time and then add time. Eventually, he will adjust.

1 Like

I have a playground in front of my building. I work from home and I see from time to time a “home daycare”
Groups (~4kids + 1 adult) which are stopped here for a small break on their way… and there were a couple of times when I had to go out on my balcony and screamed on the “child keeper”. Why? Because that women screamed / shaken/ pushed / left kids alone/ were very rude/ checked their phones/ didn’t watched after small kids… ( something kids are super small like even less than 2)… you have no idea how looks a “normal day” of those kids…I have 2,5yo and I think that playground is not for such a small kids and I never let her play there without my company/control. After what I see I would
Never put my kid in home day care - there is nobody who can control the babysitter!

I love my inhome day care provider. She gives my 1 and a half year old way more attention then my 6 year old got when he went to a facility when he was younger. Depends on the person. Better if you know them personally… I know my daycare provider personally and she is a doll…

I’d opt for home but would only do it via the recommendation of someone who has personally used that particular place

Some in-homes are great. But others are traumatic. My friend has one and the state can be really strict on the policies. But they don’t always check in like they’re supposed to. But I feel the kids get more attention because they usually have less kids. But definitely do research on the specific home and ask for inspection results and even check with the county’s business board to see what reviews they have.

3 Likes

My daughters go to a home daycare now and I love my provider she is absolutely amazing and my daughter’s love her especially my now 1 year old who normally never goes to anyone besides mommy and daddy took to her right away I love it. Everyone has their own experiences but mine has been great and I have had my oldest two in big centers and had great experience their too but lost their spots so I had to find new care

I am absolutely terrified to do that. I have heard horror stories and you really just don’t know what goes on.

1 Like

I would be cautious with who you send them to, make sure you know them or the very least they have good references.

I went to both regular daycare and an in home daycare. Between the two I preferred in home. Daycare workers often seemed to care little for the kids and more for the check. They didn’t care for me or if I was having a bad day. The in home daycare I went to was much easier and smaller and I knew everyone in the home before I started going.

If your child doesnt do well in a facility then in home should be something to consider.

Please look into it and ask around. My MIL runs a FDC and she is a total bitch (yes iv reported her many times and told parents ) she smacks, yells, and shoves/pulls them around! She puts on a nice smiley face in front of parents but once that gate is shut it’s a whole other story…

make sure it’s licensed.

When my son was little I pulled him from 2 dayhomes and he got “kicked out of another” then we finally found one that was a good fit. Been in the current one almost 4 years.

My granddaughter had her son in home day care there were to many kids do she now has him in Goddard School he loved it and so happy also learning so much he also gets breakfast and hot lunches just a thought

Daycares are the scariest thing ever when I was a child my mom put me and my siblings in daycare you gotta do what you gotta do I understand but if your gonna look for a at home daycare look into it carefully because when me and my sister were little we were put into an at home daycare and there and he was a male sitter and he would touch us in inappropriate ways and spots when all the other kids were taking naps we never told our mom still haven’t. But thankfully we switched when my mom found a woman sitter for us and she was the best still have her on Facebook after many many many years!

2 Likes

I had best experience with our home daycare… she was state government guidelines…we still keep in touch and my girls are teenagers now

I’ve never had good luck with daycares unfortunately. Sitters aren’t reliable either so right now I’m home with the kids

1 Like

Either parents love it or hate it … my mom has an in home daycare and the kids that tend to stay for very long times are the parents that love the “grandmother”
Type of daycare setting. She loves them all like her own

I put my son in one and to my Mothers advice sent along my daughter who was 6 years older! Thank god…as soon as all the kids were dropped off the sitter took away all the snacks n lunches moms sent with their kids the lady locked one child in a room for crying she sat and watched tv most of the day and didnt give any snacks made kids jelly sandwiches and made kids sit in a circle no toys! Made Me Sick!

My sister owned a home daycare however she was also a government licensed daycare so she was able to provide more one on one but also gave parents peace of mind that she followed government guidelines. Only kind of home daycare I would recommend

My sister has a in home day care and she is absolutely amazing with them. She does holidays, birthdays and crafts. Right now she is helping them with remote learning so parents can work

They cool just make sure the sitter is on their shit

Love it ! My daughter is more comfortable there too

2 Likes

Are u serious I was a g at 30 and loved high :high_heel: as GP we put our time all ready .

I went to an in home daycare, my daughter goes to one now. She is the only child there. She does not get the interaction with other children as much as I would like, but she seems to do well when with other children when she does have the opportunity to play with others. The ladies at daycare treat my daughter just like family. This is good for her. We don’t have much family where we live and I am a full-time single parent. My daughter loves to go to daycare.

That’s what grandparents are for

2 Likes

Love mine. Make sure they’re licensed and check their records for and incident reports and how often if any they’re docked points. Love that it’s a smaller place to get more one on one time

Either route you take, look the address up on watch dog to see if there are neighbors or close people with CSC charges. I found a couple of home daycares that had neighbors right next to them with CSC charges, and not the kind you get for urinating in public.

The girl that has watched my daughter watched me and my baby brother when I was a kid. She is amazing. My daughter did so well there. Unfortunately she cut all part time kids.

I am a babysitter…I have parents now who have had bad experiences with other sitters…one kept a baby in the car seat all day, others randomly “couldn’t work” way too often. I’m not a teacher, but I also don’t ignore educational opportunities. We have all kinds of learning experiences, but its play based. My goal is to keep kiddos safe and fed and let them play. But my big thing is being reliable for parents. Apparently reliability is a big problem. I will only call off on short notice when someone in my house is sick. If I have to be out of the house for an appointment or something and my husband can’t watch kids while I’m out (he volunteers to help when he can), then I give as much notice as possible. With Covid, its hard. Right now we have 2 possible exposures that we are working around, but even so, I let my parents know as far in advance as possible so that they can be prepared if something happens. I suggest you ask for local recommendations. Listen to your friends about their experiences. Call around and ask. But a lot is based on timing too. I have been babysitting for 3 years, full time, and I have had families come and go for many reasons. But, I kid you not, when a space opens, it will be filled in 24 hours or less. Once i had a family tell me they were leaving and i had another family lined up within 15 minutes! I have NEVER advertised. Word of mouth keeps me busy. I try my best to work with families and that makes me someone who is in demand. They tell me good sitters are hard to find…and by the number if people I say no to, I must agree

I’ve put my daughter in a home-based care - max of 4 kids per home - there are visiting teachers who support the educator, etc. and my daughter loves it!

My daughter was in a center for 3 months and was constantly sick. I moved her to a home daycare and she thrived. Plus I got updates and pics throughout the day