Should I let my 17-year-old get on birth control?

Unless you want a teen pregnancy/grandchild absolutely. While I am a huge advocate for abstinence I am also not delusional to think that it will happen for all or even most teens. Better you than someone else and if she wants on it then she will find a way

6 Likes

Would you rather be a grandparent when your daughter is 17 or give her the birth control like she is responsibly asking for?

Doesn’t matter if you think it’s too soon. She is asking so she will NOT get pregnant.

15 Likes

My 16 yr old is asking to be put on B/C. I’ve educated her on the ABC’s of Sex and Sexuality of Women. I’ve also spoken and shown her poverty and unwanted children. I can’t stop her from having Sex , but I can educate her about life.
I keeping my fingers crossed.
Good luck.

Mommy, although this is hard on you as a mom, you can be super proud that she talked to you about that. She has a bright future ahead.
Take her to your local doctor for the correct birth control.

5 Likes

The fact she is comfortable enough to go and tell you she wants it is HUGE I never would have been comfortable going to my own mother growing up! She will do it regardless of being on it or not, at least she’s being upfront and honest that she is thinking about it and wants to be responsible and be on it beforehand also HUGE. Respect her but also sit her down and discuss things with her put her on birth control but also get her condoms so they are both 100% prepared maybe even include him in on the conversation after you talk to her on her own that it needs to be 110% her decision and not just because he might be instigating her. Best of luck :heart: my bonus daughter is 13 and she still thinks most boys are ew​:crossed_fingers: I still have a few more years before this :heart:

Absolutely. Be grateful she is coming to you and not going behind her back. It’s your daughter, you are never going to be “comfortable” with her having sex. Put your own discomfort aside and help her make the smart decision.

You are fortunate that she came to you. It is your chance to support your daughter while making sure she has the knowledge and wherewithal to take care and control of her body and her life. Be grateful.

Its our job to support or kids no matter how stupid their ideas are…we have a 30yr old with 2 grandsons…our 16yr old and his gf fell pregnant this year too, we supported both of them what ever their choice was…of course we didn’t want to kids having kids but it was their choice in our eyes their choice was taken from them in the end, but both sides were willing to stand and support if they went the way neither side wanted…parenting is not just about feeding them and keeping a roof over their heads it’s for unconditional love and support…support her she will remember it forever and bring you guys closer…she will also learn to support her very own when the time is ready…it’s hard as they get older but no matter how old we need to support them…our 30yr old still remember how we supported him and has become the most amazing dad and partner…breath mum…xxxxx

Give her birth controll and explain it, there are many options, I don’t suggest pill and hard to remember to take, but even when you do I wish someone explained them and how they don’t work when on some antibiotics,I got pregnant at 16 because of this

Get it for her. Don’t be that mom. I had that mom and had a baby at 16. It’s not about you.

Yes, if she’s coming to you asking about it that means she’s comfortable telling you this kind of stuff. I’d definitely honor her wishes instead of taking a chance and risking her getting pregnant.

1 Like

Take her to an OB, discuss birth control options best suited for her! Also have it known that BC is not a 100% safety net for pregnancy! If she’s already sexually active chances are she’s asking because there was a “scare” or she’s just very mature and cautious. Either way there’s tons of options out there for her! Congratulations to you, you’ve raised your child to be comfortable to come to you and trust you :heart:

1 Like

The second my child asks me for birth control they’re getting it. I buy my 15 year old son condoms. You will not stop them from having sex if they want to do it, what you can do is keep honest and open communication with your child and help them make safe and informed choices. My rule has never been “no sex” it’s always been CONSENT and SAFE sex.

1 Like

I think at 17, her asking you is a responsible action and you should praise her for coming to you. Unless you’re prepared to support her through a teen pregnancy and become a grandparent all at once, you should take her to the dr for it in my opinion. 17 is a reasonable age, and 4 months may be too soon to have sex but she’s doing far better than I did and most people I know.

As a teen I asked and begged for birth control… yes i was a wild teen and hung with a much older crowd who looking back wasnt the best but still i was very mature and responsible enough to be my mothers caretaker and essentially run the household and be the mother for both of us. My mother who bounced in and out of severe mental health issues but was in a correct state of mind during discussions of this topic as i made sure of that did not want to give me birth control. She said she viewed it as if she did she was consenting to me having sex. I wasn’t necessarily planning to have sex but knew more than likely it would happen sooner than later if it hadn’t already ( cant quite remember) I ended up pregnant at 16 and having my first child at 17… I wouldn’t trade my daughter for the world she is my world and saved my life however sometimes i do wonder how different my life would have been had my mom agreed to birth control like i wanted…this is just my story

It’s up to her when she feels ready, whether we as parents are comfortable with it or not. At this age, they’re learning what it takes to be adults and we are learning how to let them make their own decisions. In some places she doesn’t need parental permission to go to a Dr and ask for birth control. If she is asking for your help, she is communicating with you and you can find pride in that. Your girl is being responsible, thinking ahead and being open with her parent. Good job Momma :purple_heart:

If she is asking for it, it means she is already having sex or trying to be proactive and protect herself. She is coming to you, her mother, for help. Not all teens come to their parents, she communicated with you something most don’t. Help her, or you might end up a grandmother before you’re ready.

Simple answer, yes. In some states she is already a legal adult. She is going out with an adult. She could find a doctor to get it without your consent but she came to you. Stand by her and help her…she will be a free adult in less than a year.

She’s trying to be responsible. She came to you and is doing the responsible thing and being safe. Take pride in the fact that your daughter felt comfortable enough to come to you. There are numerous benefits aside from pregnancy prevention for birth control. Acne improvement, hormonal balances improve mood, regulation, etc. she’s 17 and has one year until she will no longer need or require your permission. Do you want her to risk unsafe sex for a year? Doctor will talk to her about condoms paired with birth control due to the STD protection aspect. Much rather her be safe than sorry.

Been there its hard. You should be proud she came to you. Good job mom. I told all my kids " I am not condoning it, but if you’re going to engage in an adult activity then take adult responsibility for it. She is trying to! And she trusted you.
Tell her birth control is the responsible thing to do and youre proud of her, but its still hard for you as a mom. But B control wont protect her from STDs. Help her make an appt with a Dr or better yet an NP. ( nurses are better at patient teaching😊) They will discuss both with her.

She needs you to help her with this, use this to talk openly about sex and and responsibility, babies, and the future. Take her to a gynecologist. Be thankful she is asking for your help. She is smart to ask for assistance.

This.Isn’t.Your.Decision. :clap: Its her BODY! She is a year away from being an adult. In my opinion, she is doing the absolute right thing, by asking for Birth Control. I think it also shows she has the maturity and understands the consequences of not using birth control.
While yes, reminding her that condoms also need to be used in order to prevent STDs. Bravo tho, raising a child comfortable to ask her Mom for assistance. Whether your comfortable with s*x or not- shes at an age for its just a matter of time. Better to be safe than sorry.

She don’t have to ask it’s free to any girl any clinic will give them to her it’s not up to the parent …better her get on them then a child that might suffer for things …

1 Like

At least she is being responsible, if she is interested in birth control she is interested in sex! Get her the pill and thank her for being honest with you

I would just put her on birth control. At least she is trying to be safe about it. Otherwise sooner then later she will be able to get it on her own anyway. :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: at least she seems to have a head on her shoulders and trying to go about it the responsible way… some girls would have just done the deed and not thought twice about it. :heart_hands::heart_hands: you raised a good girl… just gotta let her grow a little… she will do what she will do… at least for now you are in the loop and ahead of the game.

Better she be on it when she finally decides she is ready, than her not being on it. You don’t get to decide when she is ready, also make sure they understand that the birth control pill is the 'backup" …condoms also.

Having raised daughters…listen to her. She is talking to you which is really good. The pill is good but encourage condoms and really talk about safety not just pregnancy. Helping her be safe isn’t necessarily giving her permission-they will do what they want in the end anyway.

As someone who was a teen mother get her the birth control, talk to her about it and tell her to be safe. I have 2 teens and while I don’t want them doing it, I know there will come a time they will and I hope they know to be safe about it.

I truly understand but birth control is much better than a baby at this time in her life ,

My 15 year old got an IUD put in, because she came to me and said she was going to be having sex and asked for it. Which she would do with or without so we made the appointment. “No please don’t” is not going to stop a teenager, and birth control is just birth control. I’d rather that than a grandchild at 33.

We are in ca.even our rural town has a birth control clinic where the girls can go without parental consent.saying no won’t stop her from having sex.best to"allow".hopefully that opens communication so you get to voice your opinion and educate her.

I don’t think she realizes she could go and get it herself at least she was kind and came to you so clearly she has a good relationship with you. Yes go get her that damn birth control before she doesn’t tell you anything anymore.

You denying her birth control is not going to keep her from having se*, she will have se* anyway and just chance it. Better to get her on birth control to be safe than for her to be a teen mom. At least she is asking you, a lot of kids won’t even do that. She sounds mature enough to take safe steps and be careful, just get her the birth control. I think it’s wonderful that she is thinking ahead and thinking about the consequences her actions could have if she doesn’t get on the birth control. I also think it is wonderful that she was mature enough to come to you, I say support her and trust her to be smart the way she has trusted you.

I think you should. She’s almost an adult. I feel like as parents we aren’t ever ready for our children to be having sex but I’ve seen 14 year Olds pregnant so atleast she’s almost an adult making this decision. That being said it’s a good time to praise her for being mature enough to come to you. Talk to her about only doing what she’s comfortable with so she isn’t put into any unfavorable situations with guys, talk about stds, uti’s. Maybe even supply some condoms so the guy can’t try to say he doesn’t have any and she’s on birth control anyways. Also make her aware if it’s the pill that she knows it takes a month to be effective and anytime she’s on antibiotics it become uneffective again for a month after she finishes her dose. ( many people end up accidently pregnant because they don’t know this)

Here’s an life experience example. I was 4 months pregnant on my 16th birthday.
Partly because I didn’t have the parental guidance. Sex wasn’t talked about in our home. It was a taboo subject
Your daughter is asking for help not just permission to take birth control. They are going to do this. It’s also your job to still promote condom use to avoid STDS.

I dont understand why she needs your permission? She’s 17. Can’t she just go get it herself?
The fact that she’s talking to you about it is a good thing. Don’t make her second guess coming to you in the future.
You don’t get to decide what she can and can’t do with her body so decide to be supportive of her. Offer guidance and not criticism.
My daughter got an IUD at 16 (i took her)and I’m so grateful that she was confident enough to come to me. I’m not ready for surprise grandkids.

Absolutely… don’t be in denial about what she may or may not do. Its better to be safe then have her end up with an unwanted pregnancy. .

She’s your baby and you’re her mom… of course you aren’t comfortable with her becoming sexually active! That’s completely natural. But so is it completely natural that at 17, your daughter is considering it (if she hasn’t already). But here’s the good news… she trusts you enough to come to you and ask for something to help her not get pregnant. The fact that she knows she can come to you is HUGE!
My advice, bring her to a doctor (hopefully she has a gynecologist already) and have her get an exam. Encourage her to ask for a prescription for birth control. The doctor will discuss any medical concerns, prescribe the right medication for her and explain how it works. Hopefully the doctor will also discuss how birth control doesn’t protect against sexually transmitted diseases/infections. YOU can talk to her about how she feels, how having sex changes a person/relationship and the importance of respecting herself and her body. You can talk to her about setting boundaries and not doing things she’s not comfortable doing. You can keep this door open by talking to her where she is and by not judging her.
You raised her and instilled values in her and obviously you have her trust. As much as we may not like some of our kids’ choices, there comes a point where we have to accept them. By keeping the door open, she knows she can come to you with anything and you will be able to be there for her no matter what

She is obviously sexually active or she wouldn’t be asking for it. Your thoughts of it being too soon is ridiculous. Her getting pregnant right now is too soon.

Yes. Don’t be silly…. She is going to do it and probably already has and that’s a fact……… coming from someone who was once 17 :rofl: let her be safe!

With or without she’s going to do it. Keep her safe :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I have 3 girls not there yet but being comfortable to ask for it is awesome. I hope mine does too!

Just think of it a little more realistically. Do u really think shes not going to do it because u said no to birth control ? Shes trying to be responsible. I think 17 yr olds being sexually active is pretty normal… especially if her bf is 19.

She trusts you. Trust her back.
Either you assist her in getting it… or she 1 doesnt use it and gets pregnant or 2 finds a way to get it herself.
Both scenarios, she wont come to you anymore for anything.

Better to assist her and keep the trust.

3 Likes

Ma’am. Your daughter just trusted you enough to be responsible and ask for access to pregnancy prevention. Yes. Take her and be proud of her and celebrate her being smart enough to ask and prepare.

Have a very open dialog with her. She trusts you enough to come to you. She will most likely have sex regardless. So take her and her her on birth control. If I was able to go to my mother as a teen I probably wouldn’t have gotten pregnant at a young age.

If she’s asking then yes because one of two things, shes either already doing it and had a scare or she’s going to but don’t want to get pregnant. Just talk with her about also using condoms for std prevention. No mother wants her baby girl to have s3x but its going to happen and you don’t want to be a grandma any time soon.

If she is asking and came to you with trust, I absolutely believe you should go with her and support her 100% she’s almost an adult and this is her first big adult decision!

She’s gonna have sex. Regardless.
It’s good that she felt comfortable coming to you & asking for birth control. I would make an appointment asap.

Me and my daughter have already discussed this. Now matter what when she asks it happens. Regardless of how I feel. Please go get her on birth control.

Its not about how uncomfortable you are shes asking and making the mature decision you can go ahead and make the appointment.

1 Like

The fact she even asked you shows a great deal of responsibility now do your part . Its great she even came to you I’d definitely get her on it.

Why wouldn’t you. Apparently you brought her up to be responsible. You should be happy now aways she made it to 17. Get her to the dr for BC. She going to has #$= wether you want her to or not.

It says a lot that she’s comfortable coming to you about this topic and not just going and getting it on her own behind your back. Kudos to you on obviously creating an environment of trust! :two_hearts: I would support her 100%.

2 Likes

Ummm yes, get her on birth control. Even if you think it’s to soon, she’s going to do it regardless.

She’s 17. At least she’s talking to you about it and wants to be safe. Talk to her about STIs and suggest that he gets tested before using a non-barrier method. You might not be ready for her to make these decisions so you’re certainly not ready to be a grandmother.

YES!! Shes old enough to consent and shes responsible enough to know she doesn’t want to end up being a pregnant teen. You cant stop her from having sex just because you don’t want her to.

Let her take birth control. She’s trying to be safe and if you tel her no she’s gonna do it regardless. And I’m more than positive that you don’t want her pregnant at this age.

As many others have said, if she’s going to do it, she’s going to do it. No one wants to think about their child being ready for that step, but that’s not a decision that you get to make. Your job is to make sure she’s well educated about the act and well prepared so that she is safe and protected and doesn’t end up with a baby before she’s ready.

Just because she is asking for birth control doesn’t mean that she’s already doing it or is planning to do it anytime soon. It just means that the option is on the table for her and her boyfriend and she wants to be prepared. Help her make good choices, without pushing your wishes on her.

Yes. I think it’s huge that she felt she could come to you and ask prior to making that step in her relationship.

You are not going to stop her from having sex! Let her have birth control and be happy she felt comfortable enough to come to you!

she’s asking for it she needs it. she’s going to have sex regardless so why not make sure she doesn’t get pregnant at 17 and just give her the birth control.

The second my girls got bfs they were put on birth control. I’m not going to be taking care of anyones baby. Things happen at least she is letting you know beforehand.

2 Likes

Let her get it. She’s trying do the smart and responsible thing by getting it. Don’t be the reason she becomes a young mom when she isn’t ready

If she wants to do it then it’s going to happen. Better to be protected than not be protected. I’d take her to get the birth control.

She’s going to do it either way. She is coming to you, get her the protection. Be happy she came to you and let you know what she wants and needs.

2 Likes

Any time a girl asks for birth control beyond like 13 she needs to be heard and have access to birth control

Yes let her go on birth control I was a mum at 17 i wish my mum had of talked to me about birth control

I mean isn’t it kinda obvious the answer. Yea birth control. She’s 17 and this is her first bf and she hasn’t had sex yet be greatful for that.

It could be other reasons too like heavy flow or something just make sure she is well informed on what kind to get

If she asking she has already done it. At least she wants to be safe

She’s gonna do it regardless. She came to you and that is a huge deal. Get her on something asap or you will be a young grandmother.

Tell her to get rid of boy friend,seems to early,and that is all he wants her far.have a long talk with her.she throwing her life away

She’s 17, not 12! My Mum had to grow up when she realised I was moving away for college in a couple of months time!

I think that if she is asking you ,that should tell you something and you should put her on birth control .

Ask her if she is planning on marrying this boy anytime soon or in near future. Ask her if the boy is planning on marrying her soon or near future. If the answer is no regardless of reason, tell her sex is not the right thing to do at this time. Go ahead get her the birth control. At the same time explain birthcontrol is not 100%, abortion is off table, no longer legal. Is she ready to raise a baby or give it up. Boy is probably going to go to college will he quit to go to work if she gets pg. Again birthcontrol is not 100%

Definitely!! Protection is a must a long with a conversation about how her self worth is important …

Grand babies are a lot more expensive, be proud she talked to you :heart:

My 15 y/o niece is on birth control! :woman_shrugging: it’s better safe than sorry!!

Yes you should give it to her. She’s being incredibly responsible!!

Would you rather have a grandchild? Birth control is a better idea then diapers, wipes, etc.

Yes, of course. She’s asking them it’s time. Don’t make her do it behind your back

She’s doing the right thing by coming to you and asking so go with it mama.

I put myself on birth control around 16 before I even had sex, it can’t be too soon because by the time she needs it it may be too late. I’d say take her in and warn her it may take some trial and error to find what works for her! All forms effect people differently

If your daughter is asking for birth control do it… don’t be a prude and make ur child possibly make a mistake because he not okay with sex

Absolutely get her the birth control! ASAP

Not putting her on birth control will not stop her from doing it.

If she’s asking for birth control she’s probably already doing it and is scared she’s gonna end up pregnant so….and doesn’t matter how old she gets you’ll never feel comfortable with her having sex :joy: but she’s 17 with a mind of her own and well it’s her body and at that age it’s gonna happen if she wants to do it, if you like it or not she’s almost a adult anyways so :woman_shrugging:t3:….I’d say get her the birth control so she doesn’t have to immediately become a parent right before or after Turning 18!

Well do you want to be a grandma?!?! She’s asking I would absolutely do it

YES!!! She came to you and asked, that in itself shows a level of maturity.

I was pregnant at 15 … She’s gonna have sex whether or not u agree to birth control… just do it.

Yes. Get it for her unless you want to be called grandma. :grimacing:

Make sure you discuss the possible life long side effects with her.

1 Like

Yes! Yes! Yes! She is being the smart one!

Yes you should.
Where I live, I believe at 13 it can be gotten without parental consent.

I just put my 16 year old on it, she asked for it! :purple_heart: definitely should let her

17? You got lucky. If she’s asking then get it for her. Choosing not to get it will not stop it from happening.

Be thankful she is even coming to you for birth control. My bonus daughter doesn’t go to her bio mom for things like this because she’s afraid of the controlling behavior and judgement she would receive from her. With her dad’s approval I got my bonus daughter on Birth Control at 14 because that’s when she asked for it and when we were in the office to get it, there was another girl the same age as her there for an abortion. We don’t allow her to have s*x in our house but we aren’t naive enough to believe we can prevent our teens from finding a way. Teens will do what they want regardless. It’s better to give them the education and tools necessary to protect themselves and their partners from STD’s and unwanted pregnancies. Not only that but we teach our kids about consent and bodily autonomy.

Yes, get it for her and explain how to use them and have the “talk”

Yes, unless you want to be a grandma

That’s easier than her coming to you pregnant