Pros and cons of getting your tubes tied?

I thought I got mine tied but what I got was clips. About 6 years later severe stomach pain sent me to hospital, one clip had come loose and was causing issue had to have surgery to remove, we still have not located other clip

I had mine completely removed when I had a c-section with my 3rd baby. My periods are really heavy and last for 7 days but I am not sure if its hereditary or because I got my tubes removed. My mother ended up having to get an ablation done at age 45 because of her heavy periods.

I got mine removed with an ablation after #4. No complaints here! Periods are lighter, too.

1 Like

I had my tubes removed following a c-section. No regrets. A lot of women complain their period become heavier after having their tubes tied or removed, but that is most likely a result of no longe me taking birth control that reduces bleeding.

Be sure you’re absolutely ready. I had mine done and reversed 3 years later. Thankful I did because I had the one boy I knew we were meant to have 4 years after that, with my same husband. I felt empty after they were tied. Be really, really ready. :heart:

2 Likes

I had it done last month during a C-section, so far everything is good. Still healing from the incision but I don’t regret it

Had mine 2 yrs ago… The 1st yr or yr and a half I regretted it every month. My periods before I had my tubal were not too heavy, lasted 4-5 days and not very crampy. After my tubal, my periods were extremely heavy, back pain, severe cramps and lasted 7-8 days some months. For the last 6 months, I can finally say everything is back to normal and couldn’t be happier with my decision

My husband had a vasectomy - so much easier for me; especially with me being high risk.
Women go through so much - why not make the man do it? :wink:

2 Likes

I had a tubal ligation done at 23 I’m 27 now. At times I wish I would have not done it. But I didnt have any complications. My period went from 4 days being super heavy to 3 days of barely anything.

1 Like

Had mine tied with my last baby over 2 years ago. I wish I hadn’t. Not because I want more kids but because my periods are all out of whack and mood swings and also lack of sex drive. And it made my depression worse. I’m only 25. But I had them tied when they delivered my baby by c section. No problems at all In that way. Didn’t take long either.

1 Like

I had mine after my third child I was 33 and done. I never had really bad menstrual cycles but after I have my tubes tied they’ve been a lot worse.

My periods are terrible! I also gained a ton of weight (idk if that’s related but it seems like it lol) my procedure was 7 months ago

I had mine done after baby #4. A few days of bloating and the first few periods were a little more painful than normal, but 100% would do it again.

1 Like

It can cause early menopause. That’s what happened to my mom. Plus, I doubt the hormonal changes are good for milk supply, so I can’t get my surgery for 2 years anyway (about a year and a half left of breastfeeding)
My fiance is getting snipped, instead. It’ll be easier on my body. No more birth control, no babies. I’m 22, so that’ll be wonderful.

Had a tubal ligation after my second child. Both emergency caesareans so I was done. The only side effects I’ve had are heavy periods. Migraine and vomiting right before.

Just have your husband do it. It’s much cheaper for him to do it.

1 Like

I try to talk every young person out of it. I got mine tied at age after i had a boy and a girl. Marriage ended in divorce, remarried a man without kids and can’t give him any

3 Likes

I had mine tied at 23. My periods where really heavy and painful. I had 4 beautiful children all grown up now. Then i meet my husband who did not have any children and he wanted children he was 23 and i was 38 when i meet him and 5 years later we decided to have children. So we decided to do Invitro. I am 51 with a set of 8 year old twins. Boy and girl… Right after having them 6 weeks later i started to hemorrhage and then I had to have a complete hysterectomy

I had a tubal ligation done dec last year after I had my 3rd via c-section, periods last 7 days and are heavy, but I’ve never looked back, just make sure you are 100% sure you don’t want to have any more kids, so much better now, don’t get as sick like i used to with my periods as they were every2-3months but are now every 28days , dont have to take birth control. Very happy😊

1 Like

I had no issues after getting my tubes tied, except that I did end up wishing to have another baby after I had gotten a divorce.

Regret, decided I wanted another baby

I got mine tied at 33 I’m 46 now. To this day wish I hadn’t. Never had problems with my period. Now horrible cramps heavy periods. Instead of 3 to 4 days more like 6 to 7. Mood swings, depression and anxiety.

For me I wish that I hadn’t got them done. I wish I would have found another way. Yet at the same time I know that it was the best way to prevent pregnancy for me because I am horrible about remembering to take my pill and I got pregnant twice while on birth control. I think you will get both good and bad stories. The reason, is that it could have very little effect on you or it could impact you greatly. If you are good about taking medicine or using other ways to keep from getting pregnant you might just want to take a less invasive way of preventing pregnancy.

I had mine done after my third c section 4 years ago , periods much more regular one day very heavy 2 days not then finished not painful bit more emotional and drained before hand other than That no problems

Had mine removed rather than tied.
I have no complaints :woman_shrugging:t2: maybe a little more cramping than before but I had always been on birth control so I’m sure this is just my body being normal. My periods are actually lighter than when I was on birth control.

Recovery was fairly easy. I had mine out on a Tuesday and returned to work that following Monday. My doctor recommended 4 days off to recover and no heavy lifting for a week or 2. I can’t remember.

Mine are removed .easy recivery but my periods are soooo painful now.like puking pain meds and nausea mads heating pad and praying i dont have to work

Wldnt do it completely throws my hormones off very heavy periods and break through bleesing

I did mine the day after #5 was born. Recovered all at once. Best choice for our family. I couldn’t imagine a surprise baby at my age.

Had mind done the best thing I ever did had no problems.30 years now.

I have two sons—we decided that’s plenty for us! I had my tubes remove, as what my doctor recommends, in May. I had some soreness the next day and was back to work on Monday (surgery had taken place Friday). Honestly my periods are no different than they were before :woman_shrugging:. I little longer because I am not in the pill (I was on it for like 13 years and then got pregnant while on it!) but otherwise everything is great :slightly_smiling_face: no stress about a missed period

The pros are easy, no pregnancy concerns. The con vary by the person, how long you were on birth control, and your body’s ability to self regulate its hormone levels.

I had been on BC since I was a young teen so my body went through hormone withdrawal - acne, depression, weight gain, hair texture and growth changes, etc.

Had mine done almost 3 years ago with my 4th c section. I didn’t notice anymore pain than the c section. I didn’t even pick up script for the pain pills they gave me.

I had mine tied, cut and burnt 11 years ago after my c-section never had any problems

I know this isn’t an answer to your question, but my husband just had a vasectomy. My OB said it was much less of a recovery time for a man, and much safer for them than it is for us. He is great. Took him about a week to feel somewhat normal, 2 weeks to be 100%. Just in case you haven’t thought about going that route.

I had it done when I was 23, the only negative thing I can say is ive definitely noticed a change in my periods, at first they became irregular and super heavy, with lots of cramps lasting 8-9 days. After about 7 months post op my periods returned to relatively normal with light bleeding and only lasting 3-4 days instead although I now get zero warning signs of when I’m going to start so that can be a bit of a pain all in itself. I have no regrets with getting it done whatsoever. I knew I had only wanted 1 baby and I had a high risk pregnancy and almost lost both my daughter and i’s lives during birth, but were both doing awesome now. Everybody is different and will react differently to getting it done but I definitely think I made the right decision for myself.

1 Like

I had mine completely removed about a year and a half ago. Hands down one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.
First off, the last break I ever had from my kids was when I got them done and just those couple hours was the best sleep I’ve gotten in years.
Went in at 5am and was out at 9:30am.
My husband took me shopping after cause we never get out without the kids. We got new living room furniture and beds for our kids so when we went home I rearranged a bit and deep cleaned the house.
Doc told me I may need 2 weeks to recover but I felt amazing as soon as it was over. I’ve never had any pain from it, my periods are very regular and not too heavy.
The only 2 downsides are the hot flashes, especially at night, and occasionally I think “ugh I want another baby” but then my 3 boys make a mess or start fighting so I think “yeah, I made the right decision.” :joy:

1 Like

My dr said getting an iud was just as effective as tying tubes. So obviously I went with the less invasive option.

1 Like

I had mine done 8 years ago and I still to this day have problems and also lots of weight gain

I had the babies, he had the snip

1 Like

Had mine done 15 years ago during a c-section. No regrets and no issues.

1 Like

I got mine done at 21 after getting them done my periods got worse and about 6 months after I developed PCOS and Hypothyroidism and was in lots of pain the week before and week of my period. So for me it was the worse decision for me. Not to say you would have the same problems. I got them reversed in 2016 and i feel much better pain wise but still have to deal with the PCOS and thyroid problems now

I had mine done after my 3rd child when I was 25. Never regretted it. Had a full hysterectomy 5 years later. No more babies or periods ever again. Woohoo.

1 Like

My personal experience… I had my first two kids one girl one boy we were done… I went on the pill and got pregnant, our little surprise baby then got an IUD and guess what lol another little surprise so I’m getting my tubes removed (not tied) and the hubby is getting snipped. Family of 6 we aren’t taking anymore chances with non invasive. I was told even with tubes tied the chance was still there but completely removed is as close as you can get.

I had mine done the same time I had my 2nd child. I had him via Csection so it wasnt an extra operation or anything like that. It was the BEST decision I ever made and I was 31 when that happened. Personally I hated pregnancy, I LOVE my kids and wouldn’t change them for the world. I just didn’t enjoy being sick all the time, now I dont have the worry with the “what if” or “maybe i am” in the back of my mind when I’m a few days late with my period.

I had mine taken out and they went through my belly button easy as can be little to no pain , I would recommend it to anyone! Good luck

Well I want one but you have to be married certain age and have two kids or more and I have two already​:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Got clipped burned and tied i had 2 kids boy and girl i was 19 and I would do it again