My mom has not met my baby due to an argument about politics with my husband...advice?

I had a baby in September. My mom came into town to help with the new baby and adjust. My husband was dealing with a back injury (disc herniating) and we didn’t know how bad it was until it blew out all the way. He was in a lot of pain and still working so we could save for him to be home a few weeks after the baby was born. My mom was here for less than a week and my husband and her got into a small spat about politics (I know) :roll_eyes:. My mom got super offended and decided to call her husband family to come and pick her up the next day. She stayed silent all day even to my son until she was picked up. A few days later my husbands back blew out the rest of the way. This happened just hours before I went into labor. I waited as long as I could with my husband then went to the hospital by myself. I called my cousin and she came down to be with me while I had the baby. The baby came and I got to go home 24 hours later. I had to take care of my husband a new born and another child while recovering from my tubes getting tied and having a baby. It was a very hard time to get through. 7 months later my moms husbands granddaughter had a baby and they went to go see the them. I live 2 hours away. My mom still has not met my baby her grand daughter and doesn’t plan to drive the 2 hours to come see us or even make plans to meet half way or something. I am ready to cut ties with her because my family doesn’t seem to matter to her. Part of me feels like I should just get over my feelings but the other part of me is very hurt because this is MY mom. This is my moms last grand child. I am my moms only child that is still alive (my brother passed away in 2015). Not to mention it is mothers day weekend. Am I over reacting?

10 Likes

I’d cut ties. Obviously her opinions and views of certain things mean more to her than her child and grandchildren. Her loss.

12 Likes

She has saved you the work. She already cut ties.

10 Likes

To allow politics to control caring for your family is just ridiculous. Agree to disagree and move on. It’s easy to not agree and continue to be respectful. Just don’t talk about it anymore. I couldn’t imagine not helping my son in law while having a back injury and not helping my daughter while she was helping her husband, having a baby and taking care of another child. I’d definitely need an apology and plan of how to move forward when she doesn’t 110% agree with someone. Way to go to mom let the government divide a family.

2 Likes

It depends. I can’t make an informed decision unless I know which one was the good guy or which one was the Republican.

7 Likes

Her loss. if she’s going to be like that over something small, imagine how she would be if somethhjng big happens. I say yoh dodged a bullet there and you just didn’t know it.

2 Likes

You’re not overreacting. You’re mom is :100: wrong! No matter what was said between your husband and mom, you delivered her grandchild. She should have met you out of she didn’t wanna see your husband

What is most important: having your own way or family? I would be praying about it, but that’s me.

They should respect each others opinions and not get mad over politics. Getting so mad you leave and haven’t seen your grand baby is ridiculous.

2 Likes

So big deal who cares .She showed who’s side she was on, her on. Your a big girl you don’t need Mommy. Do what you must and forget it all. Mommy dearest showed her colors.

2 Likes

I cut ties with my family was the best thing I could do for my children I’m happier and don’t have to deal with a mother making snide remarks about my life and my kids been 10 years and I’m still ok with my choice

1 Like

I think that is both faults. They should respect each other.He had no business talking about politics knowing what politics she is .
But she is very wrong the way that she is acting with her daughter. I am a grandma twice and I will die for my two grandsons.

2 Likes

She should be ashamed. Should have not been talking politics if you’re not going to respect the others opinion. Both are at fault but she as a Mom should have been there to help. I wouldn’t let an argument over pretty much anything that would stop me helping my child and grandkids.

1 Like

If you go to her your undermining your husband and she will always put your husband down … your the one that has the baby and you are not expected to bring the baby to her … let her deal with her feelings and make the decision if she wants to be part of your family

1 Like

You didn’t do any thing wrong ,she did. Getting mad over petty stuff… if she don’t want to be your mom or a grandmother, then it her loss not yours.

it is her loss. Missing out on grandchild

I would ring her
She’s the only mum you have

4 Likes

This isnt about the argument anymore, this is about the inability of one or the other to “convert” the other to their political view, its called extremism

They should apologize to each other end of story 

1 Like

Go see your mom with the baby.

If she really wanted to see u and her grand baby she would’ve she’s the one who chose to act like a child cuz someone didn’t agree with her and has stayed away from u but could take the time to go see her husband’s ppl…ik it sucks. I broke contact with mine for almost 4 years tried it again cuz my son wanted everyone together for Christmas and fought anxiety overload the handful of times we went over the there for holidays…lasted two years every visit I was mostly ignored talked over and basically told she didn’t want to hear anything about my daily life…long story…but the last straw was her calling one of my girls ungrateful over a coat she bought her for Christmas and caught the tail end of a discussion where her husband was telling my daughter that they would take it back and exchange it because it didn’t fit right… she LOVED it otherwise but it was to confining but my mother instead if finding out whst was wrong calls my daughter ungrateful and tells her to put the jacket on her bed and she’d take it back to belks where she got it and just get the 50 bucks she spent on it back…the look of hurt on my daughters face from how and whst she said was all it took for me to realize my decision of no contact was for the bedt…and later when I had choice words for her about it I was the bad guy and blamed for ruining the day…My girls especially the one I mentioned ARE as FAR FROM ungrateful as a child could get…we don’t have much for extras and such so they fully appreciate ANYTHING gifted tovthem…you give her a weird shaped pretty rock thst UK shed like you’ve made a friend for life and couldn’t get a better reaction had u given her a diamond cuz she sees the THOUGHT behind things and that’s more important than anything else to her…it’s been almost 4 years they would try to contact her on facebook…I let them make that choice to do so after several months of VERY LITTLE response they don’t even bother trying anymore…it hurts that’s a given but in the long run sometimes its just fir the best…good luck and hopefully your situation will have a better solution than mine

Nope. I would have already cut ties. :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

You have the right to feel how you feel , the same as her :woman_facepalming:t2:, if you want her to meet your daughter just do the drive and take her to her , it’s that simple

3 Likes

Your mother needs to grow up

Your mom is being ridiculous

Drop off the face of Earth for a while and momma will come around asking what the matter is.

Save yourself the trouble and :scissors: her out

Not at all. Disgusting for her to ignore you guys, especially while having a baby, just because of an argument over politics. Why wasn’t she there with you in the room while you had the baby?

1 Like

She is your Mother. She carried you, birthed you and raised you. I do not know anything about political views of either your spouse or your mother but I do know There is nothing someone would say or do that would keep me from my grandchildren. Have a Frank discussion with BOTH your husband and your mother. Let your husband know that discussing certain subjects in the prescience of Mom will not be tolerated… in other words tell him to keep his f-ing mouth shut around your Mother! Reach out and start by taking your children to visit their grandmother on neutral ground for a lunch or play date and work towards reunification.

1 Like

That’s YOUR Mom. Make the call!!! I’m sure she is heartbroken.

1 Like

I’m saddened but not shocked at all of the comments saying to cut the ties. The value of family has been all but thrown out of the door in this society. This happened at a time when tension and hormones had to be high and feeding off of each other. It seems that maybe there wasn’t the strongest of relationships between the two already. We can all be a$$hole$ when we are in pain…every…single…one…of…us. Do as you wish but I would call and see her. Talk it out face to face, don’t pretend that it didn’t happen, just calmly talk it out. Give her the chance to see things from your side and commit yourself to seeing hers. You will never agree on every issue but you can respect each other and your rights to have those opinions. Every day that passes is time that you will never get back. Make it count. Family should not be treated as disposable. Relationships require work, a lot of work from all parties. It’s okay to be right, it’s okay to be wrong. It’s so very important to forgive and move forward in loving relationships, to grow strong, healthy roots and model that for our children. I pray that you find peace and comfort in your decision what ever that may be.

Nope. Cut ties and be done. I cut my mom off a few Yeats ago for playing favorites so now she can have an uninterrupted life with her toxic favorite and I live peacefully. Totes worth it