My mom constantly eats the food that I buy for my son and I: Advice?

We live with my parents and will continue to. But, we all have certain. Household bills we cover (we I mean my husband) and then we take turns buying family groceries. Anything bought special we let everyone know. But we buy for everyone to eat. Or we go shop together and split it.

Seems and looks selfish.

I would buy a mini fridge and keep some of it in your room. We have all family living in my house and stuff started disappearing so that’s what I did I bought myself a mini fridge and I keep anything I don’t want eaten in my bedroom. Problem solved

1 Like

My daughter and her family stayed with me for awhile, we rotated buying food, she would buy it one week and I would buy it the next week.

Mate I would starve to feed my mum just like she did for me… what’s the problem here? :thinking: don’t like it get your own place…

8 Likes

OMG really!!! That’s your mom she’s letting you stay there and your complaining about her eating your food. I lived with my mom for 3 years with my two sons. I never once told my mom she couldn’t ever eat any of the food I bought. Be thankful she’s letting you stay there. How would you feel if she came back and said remember all those years I fed you while you were growing up. Be thankful you have a mother. I lost my mom 4 years ago and would do anything if I could have her back.

3 Likes

You only have one mother in a lifetime. If I still had mine I would let her eat everything in the house and go shopping for more. I loved my mother and miss her.

3 Likes

If you can, get your own safe and personal small refrigerator (put a lock on it of course) that way she can’t steal your food

Wow i can’t believe she is even asking that lol get your own house then.

4 Likes

Do u pay rent and portion of utilities? If so then keep ur food locked in ur room. If not. Get over it.

Didn’t you eat all her food growing up? And you’re still in her house? Regardless of what you contribute, she’s your mother and I’m sure has helped you in many ways.the only way you will ever have complete control over your surroundings is to have your own place.

10 Likes

Maybe you should eat a snickers

2 Likes

I would keep food in my room. I had a friend who I let live with us. I had a separate cabinet for my son’s snacks and she still would eat everything. She wouldn’t replenish anything either. She was even using my shampoo. When everything was gone, she would go eat somewhere else. But that didn’t help us any. She was stealing food from stores too. She and her boyfriend were working but not contributing… Taking food from my son. We’re no longer friends. I had FS and worked.

Are you paying rent, Utilities?

2 Likes

Keep your food locked in your room

1 Like

If by pay your way I hope you mean, you pay half of all the bill and half the rent and have your own car. If not your basically bumming of her and paying your way. And if you are not paying half of any of the bills the least you could do is buy groceries for all of you. And if you are rotate on who buys groceries!

1 Like

Keep it in your room or go to food pantries and pick up food she can go have too? Or move into a cheap apartment.

Idk why this made tears burn behind my eyelids. I don’t get along with my mom but if she was eating anything I bought, it wouldn’t bother me. I think giving me life was a pretty big thing she did for me compared to freaking bread🤦

4 Likes

Everyone’s food looks better than mine!
Does your son do without if she eats the food ? If not you need to let it go.

I completely understand making sure everybody in the house eats because yes my mom feed me to but there is just some things you just don’t get into.
As a mother and a grandmother she should know better than to be in there eating the babies lunch and snacks!
So rude and selfish.
The child’s food and needs will always come 1st.
Time to step up the get your own place as soon as you can. That’s about the only way to solve it besides Keeping certain foods and maybe a small fridge in your Room.
And also everyone doesn’t understand that all moms are not loving, respectful or caring people.
I know many mothers who are extreme narcissists and are very selfish! No one knows how much she’s done for you or how or what you would owe her. So don’t let anyone make you feel guilty for being aggravated that someone’s eating your child’s food.

6 Likes

If it’s a rent free situation and ur only buying groceries for u n ur kid that’s pretty shitty ur making her pay all them bills but cant let her eat some bread shit I’d share anything and everything with my mom paying or not that’s what u do don’t let people be hungry

Tell her she has to start buying groceries for all 3 of you or immediately replace whatever food that is yours and your sons. I have link and have daddy and our son on it with me and we all live with my mom and I just buy everything wed need for all of us, right now my son is only 2 months but still itd be easy to buy enough for him plus all us it seems

It’s obviously not just bread, it’s probably a lot of food items and you’re trying to simplify the post by just giving the example of the bread.

I’d just put the things she tends to eat most of yours (for example: bread) in your room and not in the common area. If it’s fridge items you could always get a mini fridge for your room for like $90 at Walmart.

I know you may not have $90 to spare, but it might be something to look into saving for so you don’t go nuts or harm your long term relationship with your mom

2 Likes

I’m sure your mother doesn’t think of it as just your food. She cared for you your whole life. I’m sure it’s not that bad. Buy extra then. I stay with my mom. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever tell her not to eat our food. Get out then. So not right… Sounds to me you are narcissistic… All about you and yours. Get over it. Sorry. But wow… . Really

4 Likes

That’s a good idea to keep your food seperate and in your room and maybe locked in your closet

1 Like

So my question is… if you hid the food, does that mean she wouldn’t be eating?
And are you staying with her at her house or she staying with you at your house?

You could try to keep it in your room. Unfortunately if you have talked to her and she won’t listen I’m not sure what else you can do except dealing with it or leaving.

This was a problim for me once. I bought a cheap shelf and a mini fridge and put both in my room with me and my daughter. I know alot of people think oh its just bread but when your kid will only eat certain things its hard to keep it stocked. I know my daughter ate a special cinnamon bread that i payed 5$ a loaf for. When your buying 6 loafs a month it gets expensive.

Get a mini fridge and a lock

I am sure she feels it is her house and she can do what she wants so probably best if you move as soon as you can

Lol good thing your mom didn’t write a post while you were growing up eating all her food :joy:

6 Likes

Im a Latina we live to feed other people so i can not relate to this at all

5 Likes

Doesn’t sound like much of a family life, Sharing is big in our family.

1 Like

Start deducting the food she eats from the funds you pay her🤷 Thats your child’s food, she shouldnt be touching it especially without asking. Start keeping all your non perishables in your room and put the child’s name on things in the fridge. And definitely save what you can to move out cause unfortunately its something that wont stop :frowning:

9 Likes

You guys are irritating. It’s basic respect. Fuck the “mom” aspect. If she’s paying rent too, then look at it like her roommate. Different thought huh? She should be asking. Or, yeah. Chip in for groceries. Or just say hey. Can you grab an extra loaf of bread. Just fucking communicate. Her being her mom doesn’t change anything. And by saying “didn’t she feed you growing up” is hella extra. My mom bought my whole wardrobe growing up and scheduled & took me to appointments. Does that mean I have to do it for her now? Even having my own kids? No. So figure it out lmao Stupid.

Not really understanding the problem. That is your mother! Are you forgetting when you were a child and raising you did she hide the food from you or asked you to buy half of the groceries. She is your mom and you should never forget that. For all of us that has lost our moms we would do anything to be able to share a meal with them again. Wake up and appreciate her and all she has done and sacrificed for you

4 Likes

Try moving out and I bet you’ll be wanting to come back right away with two loaves of bread…:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I taught my children that they could not eat things in front of anyone if there wasn’t enough to share. Any food brought in the house was for everybody. I understand that there may be things special you get for your son but it is fair game for all buy extra to have plenty. Get yourself and son a place too live then you have the option of saying you can’t eat that problem solved.

2 Likes

I was taught to share your food cause you will always have enough

2 Likes

Man. The world is going to absolute shit.

It’s your mom…what do you need advice on? How to not be an ungrateful asshole?

Do you pay rent? If yes, I would say something … if not … consider it rent.

1 Like

If you were paying your own way you would have your own place :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Lock it up in your room

Move out, pretty sure you ate her out of house and home growing up. She provided for you. You could keep it in your room even. But like that’s your mom. 🤷

There are mothers out there that will not acknowledge any boundaries and lord it over their child’s head that’s she’s providing a home so why should she have to respect any boundaries. Sometimes there is not another option except to live with these evil excuses for moms.

1 Like

I understand what people here are talking about with the whole that’s your mom thing but… Respect and appreciation works both ways. you can’t tell somebody that they are responsible for purchasing their own food for them and their child and then turn around and eat that food you told them they had to purchase. Respect isn’t just given its earned regardless of who you are to the person in question. Anything that doesn’t have to be refrigerated I would keep somewhere in your space. Maybe a dresser or cupboard in the corner of your room or in your closet, I definitely understand why you’re upset. Maybe you and your mom could work out a half and half deal to fill the house with groceries maybe alternate weeks or something. If Mom won’t go for that, id definitely work on getting your own place asap, which I also understand isn’t as easy as people here seem to think it is. “Oh well leave get your own place or get over it.” Like it’s that simple.

5 Likes

Ok first off you dont owe your mom shit, yes she took care of you as a child but that’s what shes supposed to do. I would lock everything I didnt want her eating up, and throw a huge fit the first time something comes up missing. And I would be looking for somewhere else to live

A loaf of bread is less than $1. Buy an extra loaf. It isn’t worth losing your happy home over.

1 Like

Buy enough food for your mom. It’s your mom. Or you can move out her house :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Bread ? It’s literally $2 :rofl::rofl:.

She’s fed you your whole life… either deal or move

1 Like

WOW. Was she such a terrible mom? You got me crying like a baby. Because I would eat dirt so I could give my children and mother and father and brothers my food.

4 Likes

I don’t know why you are being so stingy when she fed and clothed you all your life

Maybe your mom is hungry & you could buy 2 loaves of bread instead of 1.

Sounds like Mom has a respect problem and you should be trying your best to get out of there as soon as you can.

2 Likes

Get a tub and keep the dry food in your room

All these years your mother took care of raising u… Wow !!! Smh

2 Likes

I’m sorry but you live with her she is your mom and she has always and still is dealing with you shit and giving you a place to live if she wants to eat your food she is your mama you let her I would never charge my mom for eating food I bought not anyone in my family I hope my kids wouldn’t make me pay for shit either if they lived with me pass the age of 18

I personally need more detailed. Like why do you live with your mom and you have a son.

1 Like

“she’s you’re mom, get over it” wow the ignorance.

3 Likes

If she’s paying her way then she is more than likely paying rent and for utilities. Her mom can get her own food.

5 Likes

Wow so much for support from y’all. Hide it in your room and lock it up for sure, only way to keep anything to yourself when you live with someone like that mother or not.

3 Likes

Consider this… would you want your son to be kind and share with you if he were living in YOUR house with his child ? :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Get a mini fridge and keep it in your room, anything like bread or items you do not want eaten, put on top of the fridge.

I Love This Page …
But some of this crap on here where are these people from ,its YOUR MOTHER,my mother lived with me & hubby for14 yrs after my father passed.
She raised me for 17 yrs ,
SHE NEVER HAD TO ADK OR WANT For anything in those ys with me!!!

3 Likes

What if she is a big eater? 50bucks a week worth of food so she could be set back 200bucks in one month.grown children do not owe their parents a more than the parents owing their children.

Buy a little extra! If you have certain items you specifically want for lunches stash them away somewhere.

1 Like

I would say hid it, keep it in your room, put it up. If you can buy enough to share great if not find somewhere to store it. Hopefully everything works out for you.

Everyone saying oh its her mom get over it. Mmmm I remember growing up and not be allowed to eat certain foods because it wasnt for me or my sisters. So why shouldnt she be able to do the same thing? Plus if she is paying for her half then there is no reason to why she cant buy her own food.

10 Likes

Such compassion on here, NOT - bitchy remarks galore.

Also wow at all the people who think its okay to bring a child into the world just to have someone to take care of you when you are old. You bring a child into the world to take care of them, not to be selfish later. If she didnt feed her child, the state would remove custody from the mother, you all expect your children to pay you back for the food you gave them in order to grow? Disgusting perspective.

5 Likes

You are lucky that you even have a mom. I would give anything to give my mom a piece of bread. My kids would fix their grandma a whole entire meal and watch her eat it as they ask if she wants seconds and thirds. You sound like an entitled little shit. The best advice I can give your mom is to kick your ass out so you can learn what the grown up world is all about.

Wow some of the comments on here. Obviously if you are living in your mom’s house and paying to be there while purchasing your own groceries for you and your child your mom should respect that. It’s different if you were living there for free or not buying groceries but it’s the opposite. Mother or not as adults respect for other’s belongings are needed especially when there’s a child involved. I’d make it clear she’d probably be mad if you just started using something of hers that she keeps just for herself whether it be good or make up ya know.
Groceries are not cheap and Children are not either. Get a little refrigerator for your room. You’ll probably have to shop more often since mini refrigerators don’t store much but it’ll work. Hope things get better for you.

2 Likes

Thats your Mom. For fuck sakr

I live with my inlaws and they eat what we buy and we eat what they buy. We all buy groceries as well as pay our own bills. But you really that upset buy a mini fridge and keep the dry food in your room.

We’re going through the same thing. It’s my mother in law and she doesn’t eat “all” the food, but she does help herself and doesn’t bother to replace it.

The only thing she buys is coffee, her dog food (hard and soft) and her cats the same, pretty pricey “organic all natural dog treats (including cbd dog treats), tea, occasionally a bag of chips and that’s it…

We are living with her for a bit, but also fork out money to her (more than half of everything and that’s including all food. We already have 5 kids and two of us plus her) My So brother brings his kids often (he has 3) and never brings food for them so she dips in when they come as well.

I’ve talked to my SO about it and he doesn’t think it’s a big issue?m, but his mom literally gets EVERYTHING given to her from coworkers (she was going to have a house gifted to her by a coworker, but ended up buying one). She was living pay check to pay check before we came and was having to use dish soap for her laundry and now buying her dog a bag of dog treats for 40$+.

She had two dogs she locks up in her room and when we first moved in there was no latch to keep our door shut, so her dog got in our room and attacked ours and she has enough nerve to say “it wasn’t that bad”. Her dog chased mine around the house biting him and trying to maul him. He gets no social interaction and she keeps letting him come to our door and sniff under it. Our dog is terrified and I don’t want my kids being around a dog like that. (We have since fixed the door) but it’s like she lets him taunt us knowing I don’t trust the dog. He’s violent. She has an older female dog that’s sweet and makes her sit in the room with him all the time and her aggressive male dog tries to hump her all the time, it is so so sad, I don’t know what to do. She keeps blankets on her bed that she changes daily and when she brought them out there was blood on them from (in her words) trying to mount her. Poor dog has scratches all over her.

The lady needs to be horse whipped. She lies to my kids and says she found him on the side of the road even though a coworker gave him to her.

All in all I can relate hun. :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:
Please talk to her before the issue continues or it’s only going to cause problems and resentment. We will be sitting down to talk, but I’m not sure how it’ll go as she takes everything I say as “rude”…

2 Likes

Hide it in your room

1 Like

You live under her roof she can eat “your” food.

1 Like

I would never be that way toward my mom. I would feed her (and my kids) before I would myself!

2 Likes

So much rudeness. Yes her mom provided when she was growing up. That’s not the same thing! She has her own kid to take care of regardless of where she’s living. Her mother should respect that and leave the food that she doesn’t buy alone. I live with my mother due to a divorce, I have 2 kids and anything bought specifically for my kids, the adults don’t touch.

3 Likes

It’s your MOTHER ffs. Maybe she can’t afford food. Ffs it’s food that’s being eaten by your mom. Not some Joe blow down the road. Buy more or move out. How is this shit even a question? Wonder will you feel this way when she’s gone?

Seriously? The woman that made sure you had food as a child? I would give anything to have my mother back with me eating everything I bring home. I took pride knowing I was able to provide for my 2 boys,niece, partner and MOTHER!!! Move out if you don’t like it.

Appreciate that your mother is providing a roof over your head. & you should be helping out financially you’re a grown woman. As far as the food issue I was raise NEVER to fight over food. I cringe when I hear people fight over food it’s strange to me. She’s your mother and you can buy more bread. If you don’t like it move out!

2 Likes

Hmmm depends…does your mom pay all of the bills? If so, buy more food so she & your son have enough to eat! If she doesn’t & you pay your half of everything, then have another talk with her, if that doesn’t work, invest in a safe or lock box of some type if need be.

1 Like

If you could afford your own place you wouldn’t be there so be grateful you have a mom to go to and share!

get a small fridge and put the food in your room, move, or deal 💁

1 Like

Have you paid her back for all the times she has put food in your mouth ?

2 Likes

Maybe you should put your food in your bedroom or something.

1 Like

Nope I agree with you. You are specifically buying food for your child, just because it’s her house does not mean she is entitled to take it. I would suggest a mini refrigerator for your room to store perishables and keep non perishables in there as well. If she wants to eat what you buy, she needs to pay you. You pay your own way for everything so she has zero excuse

5 Likes

u constantly ate ALL her damn food for 18 years what u complaining about??!! hell u owe her food!! she had to frkn hide from u and wait til u were asleep so she could eat in peace! even since u were inside her stomach u were constantly asking for food dont u forget that! u stold her sleep, took up all her money, her sanity at times, and now ur acting like a sorry a$# person complaining she eats! girl this post is ridiculous u shd be ashamed of urself

It’s your mother for god sake…I’m sure she made sacrifices and gave things to you …why would you take bread from her mouth…:rage:

1 Like

This is soo sad. I lost my mother 7 years ago and wouldn’t mind sharing anything with her and I miss her like crazy :cold_sweat:. You need to learn to love respect your mother and to know she’s worth

3 Likes

Theres a lot of bitchy people on here. You can tell who would be a problem when it comes to that and who are toxic af. But maybe buy a mini fridgs and start putting your food in your room. Thats what me and my bf did when we were living in just a room and the room mate was taking our things.
Fyi, just cause she lives with her mom but is also paying for her way and to stay there, and buys her own food. Stop being judgmental cunts.

6 Likes

Majority of people in this group are so rude. Y’all must be perfect huh :joy:anyways, if her mom is making her pay for her own groceries but is still eating their groceries i would be a little upset as well. It’s not the fact that she’s her mom or she’s letting her stay there, it’s about respect and boundaries. She has to buy her own food but it’s all eaten before she gets any. If it continues, maybe talk to her about going 50/50 on groceries or just get a mini fridge and a shelf for your room. Good luck ! & don’t listen to all the negativity

3 Likes

Maybe now you know how she felt when you where growing up :woman_shrugging:t4: seriously I think this is a little petty but if it’s bothering you that much talk to her or put the food in your room

1 Like

I think that if you both came to an agreement on how much you’ll be paying rent, not half as you are renting, not purchasing half her house, then you need to start putting as much as you can away in your own room. I’m not sure how your mother is but maybe she is making things uncomfortable for you so you can move out. I’d love to say deduct it from the rent but it’s your mother who took you and your son in. I’m assuming you really are paying your own way but if there are extras she is paying like WiFi, cable, then you’ll have to deal with it as she is helping you out still. It sucks having to move in back with a parent especially if you have kids. I had two kids and moved back in with my parents while I was in school. I paid what I could so I couldn’t say anything. My mother would tell me what to do as far as raising my kids or she’d give disapproval looks but hey, I was in her home. as soon as I graduated and got situated with a job I moved out. Try to make this a positive experience and as unfair as things may seem, she is still helping you out. unless your mom is gorging on all your food, buy extra groceries. That’s all I can really suggest.

no i get it. get a mini fridge for your room and put your stuff in there.

1 Like

Shes paying her own way

SHES PAY8NG HER OWN WAY that means shes providing everything for her and her son whole her mom has her own food I think you should sit down and tell your mom you need help money wise if you’re paying for an extra mouth to feed

3 Likes

So get your own apartment. Welcome to adulthood.

4 Likes