My MIL constantly buys me baby clothes and I do not like it: Advice?

I usually take pictures in a store and send them to my daughter in law to make sure they like what I’m buying, I’m obsessed with my granddaughter, yep my little princess.

My mil has only seen my 3rd hild like3 times hes 2 and a half and could care less about him. Or the new baby or any other child of ours . I kinda wish I had this problem I know it could be frustrating but atleast she’s Ioving and involved

I didn’t like anyone buying my childs clothes because I’m fussy and I wanted to dress her myself… so what!! And I told everyone if I don’t like the clothes I’m not dressing her in them. Shove them in the back of the cupboard. :+1: she will soon get the hint they’ll be of no use

I understand the discomfort with her calling your son her baby. As my own mother did it to me. But my mother thought of my children as an extension of herself through me and put me out of the picture. Calls would always be about her checking on “her babies” and a million questions on what they were doing, if they were eating, if they were getting baths, if my house was dirty, clothes and toys on the floor and dishes in the sink is considered filth, but I am her only child and 3 children are much harder to clean up after compared to me as a kid I actually stayed in my room often, but her calls were never to actually talk with me. Finally I had enough and told my mother that I felt disrespected by her saying that and questioning everything my 3 children do. I had to tell her that while she raised me fine, these are my children to raise, and I have 3 compared to her having only me… She didn’t realize her constant questioning made me feel uncomfortable and now she calls them her grandbabies like she should. The rest of your post. Grandma’s spoil their grandchildren, appreciate it, if you’d like her to buy other things instead of clothing ask, if she just keeps buying clothes, buy yours to match those instead and get the items u want for your baby. My dad is gone and I would do anything to have my children’s Poppa back on earth to spoil them.

Honestly, unless she’s crossing boundaries, just appreciate that she loves your child. If you do have other suggestions, tell her nicely bub has plenty of clothes but xyz they need if you want to get that instead.
IF she is crossing boundaries, talk it out, don’t let resentment build. There’s so many broken families in the world, so everyone who can love on your child in a healthy way is a person to treasure.

YTA. Ungrateful as it gets right here. “She’s not buying me what I want.” Oh no. She loves her grandson and buys him stuff. :joy::woman_facepalming:

7 Likes

Be thankful your child has a loving grandma. My mom died when I was 21 and has missed every moment of my 5 daughters lives!!

I have 2 mother in laws and I’m so thankful for all they do, even the annoying stuff. I personally don’t understand the annoyance with the calling him her baby. Your the mom she isn’t so who cares? People who get like this are just insecure with their parenting. What are you worried your baby will like grandma more than you? Eh, my kids love there MOMO and she is their world but they know mama and know I’m irreplaceable.

You are in very rude awakening when your son gets a little older and wants to wear what he wants and doesn’t like the style you think he should wear. Let the kid wear what she buys. Its not the end of the world.

I’d give anything to have my mom around and buying things and loving on my kids…it honestly sounds petty, just be thankful you have someone who cares enough to do it.

You sound ungrateful asf!!

There’s so many babies in the world that get nothing from their grandparents not even attention, and here you are moaning about materialistic stuff? Really? Howsabout be grateful that she wants to be an awesome grandma! You and the dad should be providing babys essentials anyway. That’s not her job!

Oy, that poor boy is gonna have so many mommy issues if this type of behavior continues. So much to unpack here.
Ok, so first of all, be grateful she’s showering her grandchild with love and gifts. A lot of kiddos don’t have grandparents at all. Or have grandparents that care. They notice, trust me.
Second of all, her calling him her baby is literally just a term of endearment. My mom has even told me that she loves my son more than me. Then she was like, not more but differently. Lol I didn’t get mad. I’m sure when I have grandchildren I will understand. And what more could you want in a grandparent? Someone who is present and would do anything for their grandchild.
And lastly, the whole “I want him to match me and be in a certain style.” :nauseated_face: I mean, I get wearing certain things that go with each other, I had shirts and one said you’re killing me smalls and my son’s shirt said smalls. But are we talking like that or matchy matchy? Cause there’s a big difference.
Don’t say anything to her. Work on yourself. Cause it sounds like that’s what needs to happen here.

I would be grateful that she does this. My MIL only met my kids twice before she passed away. You never know how long people will be in your life so just be grateful and move on.

We have two grandchildren we helped raise.They are like our own .we also have a great grandchild that is the apple of our eye.We would ask what the children needed ,we then would buy that special thing we wanted them to have.We still do the same with our great grandchild.One day I said something along the line.I hope you don’t mind when I correct our great grandchild.He said and I quote."It’s takes a village to raise a child"Unquote.Relaxe let your child enjoy the love of the grandparent.

All y’all being so negative, dang. It annoys me when my MIL calls my son her baby as well. She’s in her late 40s and wanted to have another baby (her youngest is 18) with her new-ish husband (2years married) but he had a vasectomy done sometime before divorcing his first wife. She responds to my kids when they yell for “mama”. I’ve had to talk to her about it and have her correct them.

It’s not too much to ask that she get things you could actually use. Especially since all the clothes ARE unnecessary. Baby will grow out of them very quickly if there’s too much. It’s a conversation to have, maybe with your husband first so he can bring it up with his mom, or that you should have directly with her, depending on how well you get along.

Since she corrects them now by saying “I’m yaya not mama” and directing them to me, I let her call them “her” babies cause I know, deep down, she wanted to be a mommy all over again. She’s been overstepping a lot so I’ll have to have another conversation with her. She doesn’t always hand my 7mo back when he falls asleep on her to be put down, she takes him from my or his dad without asking, feeds him whatever without making sure it’s okay first etc. It’s gotten worse since we told her we were gonna move out here in a few months :woman_facepalming: It’s hard for her and I try to be understanding, but all of this is to let you know you are NOT alone. And just because you have the “help” that others may not, it’s not really helpful if you can’t effectively use what you get or if / when it gets wasted when baby grows out of it / can’t use it anymore.

Best of luck :crossed_fingers:

Ungrateful and petty- put him in the clothes she buys him when she visits with him. As far as matching him with your style?? So self absorbed… grow up!

But I bet if she didn’t buy him anything or show love and affection, you would b*tch about that… SMH. You’re the problem here.

She’s his grandma. Be happy you have someone that cares and loves the baby so much. You don’t always have to dress the kid in the clothes but you also don’t always have to match either. Dress the baby up I’m the clothes when they will see her.

Petty much. I think you need to grow up. The more love for a child all the better :heart:

Be grateful your child has a caring grandma. I get it can be annoying and maybe invasive. BUT coming from someone who’s mother in law just passed away it’s probably easier to just let her do this while she’s still around. It’s just clothing, material things are not that important in the end.

Honestly I’d be delighted if someone was constantly buying my child clothes

Petty and Jealous…
I appreciated anything that anyone bought my children. Ask yourself how you would like to be treated when you become a grandmother???

1 she is the babys grandma please remember that n obviously is showing how much she loves the baby and please show your appreciation on what she buys the baby even if you don’t like it just put the baby in it once take a photo so she can see him/her in it or let them wear it when she is around doesn’t hurt does it I don’t see a problem the baby is very lucky to have a grandma that obviously loves her/him many children aren’t that lucky or even get to spend time with their grankids so please just say thankyou when she buys things etc ans appreciate you have such a loving MIL

Give them back to her.
If she ever plans to babysit or keep baby at her house (like while you work or do something), you can tell her to use those clothes, etc.
You can also just let her know you don’t like them. and then be very hoenst and clear about what you DO like. Colors, shades, etc. Even show her cute photos and aesthetics you like.

You should just be grateful and accept the gifts It doesn’t mean that you need to use them can always donate them. Maybe keep a couple of them that say grandma put it on your baby when she comes over it’s not a super big deal

You dress the baby, take a pic, and send to MIL, just play nice. Donate or toss the damn thing afterward if you really hate it that much. Be grateful that you have a MIL/grandmother that loves your baby. Your appreciation and acknowledgement will benefit you, your marriage and your future relationship with her. :sparkles:

She is just an excited grandmother, I’m a grandma myself,I mean I do know what my daughter will like and won’t like though, I just bought my grandbaby that says I have the world’s best grandma,I was excited to get it and my daughter thought it was cute. As far as her s saying he is her baby… Is it like “oh,grandmas baby!” Or does she tell people he’s her baby( there was one on here before that was doing that) I don’t think that’s a big deal I say it all the time or say she’s mamaws sweet cheeks. I feel this is one of those things that yeah it may get in your nerves, but grin and bare it, she’s a grandmother and loves her grandbaby and is around for him

I’ve twin sons who were 3 months old when their lovely Nanna passed away, there only surviving grandparent, so your child is so lucky to have such a doting grandparent, MIL sounds wonderful to me, just one question? Why would you want you and your child to dress even similar?

As a new grandma of a five month old boy I can say I buy him a lot of clothes. However I do avoid things that say grandma but a different reason but my dil buys him things that say grandma and grandpa. They appreciate all I buy but also know I am not offended if they don’t put it on him. I call my grandson my baby boy when I am talking to him all the time because he is my grandson. I am careful not to say it in front of mom but in my heart he is my baby in the sense that I love him with my whole heart. Do I think of him as mine personally know do I harbor thoughts of wishing he lived with me no but he’s my baby. He has the best mom in the world and I tell her often. He loves his mommy more than anything they have a bond that will last forever. He loves his daddy too. I would never ever attempt to take him from her even if my son left her because she is his mom and a very good one. It’s an endearment and I love him so much my heart could burst so yes he is my baby in the sense he is my grandson and I live him and he is the only grandchild I will have and so the last baby in my life. Some day when you are a grandma you will understand. I’m sure there may be some bad grandmas out there. They are our babies baby so the connection is deep

I get being upset at someone else calling them “MY baby” that always upset me too, but I think you’re being ungrateful that the grandparent wants to be active and buy things for your baby. Not everyone is that lucky. Have a conversation with her like an adult and talk with her about the types of clothes you like or what you really need. Things won’t improve if you don’t communicate.

Why don’t you sit her down and tell her that right now you don’t need any more clothes. Or if she just continues to do it, why not just put your child in the clothes she bought when she comes to see him or you take the child to see her?

See if she’ll buy you a diaper subscription instead!! I am so picky with baby clothes so my mom gets us diapers, she gets to pick the prints and has so much fun with it!

Say thank you. Don’t have them wear it or if baby is ever with mil have them wear it then. Other commenters are being rude but also you should try to be greatful

Think you could have worse problems in your life. Be grateful for what you have!

Is she adopting because I have 3 little boys without grandparents and she can buy them all the I love my grandma stuff she wants!!

You like to match with what your baby is wearing so you don’t want you’re mil buying cute little shirts that say gramma on them? Wow. You’ve got bigger problems ahead of you if this is all your worrying about now.

I can see if you didn’t like your MIL why this would irritate you. Otherwise, try to enjoy that she’s there and wants to live on your child however she knows how.

Far out… are you serious? You’re unhappy because the baby’s grandparent buys her grandchild clothes and lovingly dotes on him? Get a grip lady!

Wish my kiddo had grandparents that done this…sounds like true acts of love without the constant reminder of what they did for you? Appreciate it for the ones out here who wish they had it?:heart:

When she says, her baby, that wouldn’t make me mad. I’m sure she means that in a grandma way. And since she likes to buy for the grand baby, why don’t you tell her what the baby needs?

You’re going to be the daughter in law from hell and it’s going to drive a wedge between you and your MIL and eventually it’ll drive a wedge between you and your husband due to it. You should get over it. Also dressing your child to match you his mother in a certain style is a control narcissistic thing. And her calling him her baby is just a damn endearment thing and means she loves him a lot. My mom calls my son her baby and guess what he’s 14 now so. My mom buys my son clothes whenever she wants and guess I don’t get mad about it and the same with shoes etc. like life is sooo short to get mad about her buying him clothes like seriously.

You need a attitude adjustment. Grandmas are so special. Why would you ever take that away from them? I hope you open your eyes and realize how special she is to that baby.

How about being grateful say thank you and have your child take a few pictures in the free clothes and make grandma happy. Your child doesn’t have their own style yet as this is all stuff YOU don’t like… being nice would be the polite way to go.

What wrong with you - your grandma won’t be around much longer( unfortunately) many, many would LOVE to have a grandma so involved. She’s proud to be a grandma - you won’t understand until you become one- be happy you have family that cares - :face_with_diagonal_mouth:it’s not like you have to dress your baby in the clothes she buys - but at least put them one once in a while when she comes by.

Just be grateful she loves your little one…show some grace!

1 Like

My husbands grandmother calls our new daughter “our baby” and my momma calls her “my girl” and my son will go to war with anyone over his baby.

Honestly, I love that we have so much family that loves our daughter as much as we do.

You don’t have to like what she buys… but let him wear it at the house and send her a picture to make her day. Yes, that is your son but that is also her grandson. Have some grace. It doesn’t have to be your way or no way :heart:

This is so sad!!! And broke my heart, I wish my MIL was here​:pray::sweat: we miss her so much​:cupid:
RIP OUR QUEEN SASSY :revolving_hearts:
The who want to be there and love their grandchildren, u better cherish :heartbeat:

Don’t mess with a grandmother’s baby. This is what you do. You tell her the truth and risk what? Idk? Obviously you can’t tell her how you feel or you already would have. Every once in a while? Put the ugly outfit on an send her a pic. So she can use the pic to brag to everyone about her grandbaby. When she comes over put the ugly outfit on for her. Let him wear the clothes around the house and to eat. They will get food stains and be used. That will make Grandma happy.

Be appreciative of what she buys him. And you continue to buy him clothes you like or styles you like. Maybe mention to her the little outfits you like and see if she is willing to buy some, no need to be rude or ungrateful.

You don’t say anything to her. You put the baby in the outfit that was gifted to you and take some photos and then the next time they visit you have the baby wear the outfit again. I get your mom, but grandmas who want to be involved (with boundaries of course lol) with their grandkids should get that experience as being grandma and buying some of their favorite things for them as well. Everyone always has at least one baby photo of themselves in a completely hideous outfit anyway. Why make clothing an issue?

Be glad she’s there I look up and I don’t have anyone here that would do that… I’m kinda jealous I guess because we don’t really have a village here

You need to grow up. Be happy that your MIL loves him and is there, a lot of people aren’t that lucky

Send her photos of what you want, say you have enough clothes for now and need other items

Are you 16? I understand the “my baby” comment, but everything else just sounds ungrateful and immature. Why don’t you save your money and by the things that you think are “more useful”? She isn’t obligated to buy or do ANYTHING.

Ungrateful much? And u want the baby in a certain style :sweat_smile:…Yeah , the clean clothes style

Lol. It’s never going to change. However just put child in the clothes when u visit her

In my opinion I believe the woman that asked the question is actually on the post in the comments… which means she was just looking for validation, which she only received from 1 maybe 2 people… If im correct, she’s not that young she’s just simple minded, selfish and very controlling. I hope your husband defends his mother through and through !

Your very ungrateful and petty wow so what I have 6 grandkids and 1 great grandkid I buy them all stuff with nana on it and tons of cloths I also say to them come see nana my baby or there’s my baby I’ll ask them are you nana’s babies there parents would NEVER EVER be upset over that

If you have a specific style, tell her about it. Dont make her stop buying the clothes. There may be a tine when you need her to and if your rude she wont help.

She happy to have a grandbaby. Let her dress him in those clothes when she keeps him or when he is going over her house. Just tell her that, because you’re not the grandma. I think she’ll be ok. Don’t get mad.

I call all three of my granddaughters mine and baby
With them everyday
Be appreciative

1 Like

Oh I always kept those clothes separate and made sure I used them when grandma saw the baby lol :laughing:

I would be very grateful and appreciative if anyone would buy my babies clothes.

what a weird thing to be upset over

You sound petty and immature. A gift cannot be dictated by you. Let him wear the clothes she gets when he is with her it’s not a big deal. Also he is her baby, her grandbaby.

you need to chill the heck out and be happy your MIL wants to have anything to do with your son.

I would be happy if my mil bought my baby clothes. Be thankful. Shame on u.

Grandma’s buy for their Grandchildren. A Grandmother & Grandchild bond is SO special!! Buy want you want for our child. Put Grandma’s outfits on him when she is there.

How old are you?It’s not a doll. You want a mini me it sounds like. Babies grow out of things so fast.Wear it a few times. Sounds like grandmother is having a ball.Are you living with her?

Just put on the clothes when you are taking him to see her :woman_shrugging: and also her saying my baby is just an expression of love… of course she knows you’re the mom… Just let her enjoy her grandkid

Omg grow up. Be grateful she’s buying clothes and helping out. So what if you two don’t match.

I wish my mother in law was still alive. She would love the moments.

Honestly, you sound like a brat! Your poor MIL.

Let her enjoy her grand child and stop moaning it is her baby too least she is there for the baby, and helps let her do what she doing…

Don’t understand how you can complain about this :roll_eyes::zipper_mouth_face:

How old is baby? You may still be dealing with hormones and stuff. I would never tell someone not to buy my baby something. Just put it in when she’s there. A good grandma is worth her weight in gold. Look at it as our baby when she’s around… everyone benefits and it’s loving. Kudos to you mama… it’s not easy♥️

You say nothing. You be grateful for wtf she buys your child and you buy what is “more useful”

You don’t have to use them all the time just use the outfits when she’s around

I can understand the “her baby” stuff but the clothes… They’re clothes. Hes a baby. Babies don’t have a style

You’re a jerk just let her buy that baby stuff

Be grateful, not everyone has that in their life.

Maybe suggest gift cards or going shopping with her? Tell her you want to bond over clothes shopping hehe and casually bring it up that you like a certain style clothing!
She just maybe un aware unless you speak up

Lol you sound like my ex sister in law :laughing: my ex mother in law used to call my first born her baby and it made me so infuriated

Be nice, send her links to things y’all want. She’s excited

You are being petty. Grow up. She loves her grandchild

How about just appreciate the fact that she cares💀

Tell her " Thank you" He is her grandson. And just like you build memories with him. She enjoys it to. Get over yourself…

You sound stuck up and rude about something so small.

Nothing there is nothing you can say.
She is the grandparent it’s her way of showing off grandma

Get over it. Be appreciative that she loves her grandson

Be thankful she takes an interest

Get over it she loves her grand babies, just donate them. :white_heart:

Appreciate it, u should be more grateful and thankful

I buy my granddaughter all the time and yes she is my girl I think your ungrateful

Team grandma right here! You’re being ridiculous.

Your attitude is the whole.problem.here.
She can call him what she wants thats nothing to with you.

You sound so selfish you should be thankful that your or child have someone who is not only there for you but also spend time and $$ for you

Grandparents are extremely relavent to a child’s life. So what if you don’t want the gifts she brings, why would you be so disgusting by posting that on FB and humiliating her. Selfish is word I think of here. God Bless your MIL, hopefully she will continue to be a relative part of your childs life whether you like her or not. Think of someone besides your selfish self.

Let her enjoy being a grandma, she’s bonding and loving baby too.

You sound like the problem. Sorry.

Just relax and let her be a grandmother.

Be glad. Say nothing. Get a hobby.