My landlord comes by my house without notice...advice?

What can we do about this? Our landlord shows up whenever he wants. This morning he came and while we were sleeping my dog was going off so my husband looked out the window and he was walking through our yard at 6:30 Am and taking pictures he did the same to the other neighbor. Our yard is well kept up so is the house but it’s just so weird to us. He never gives a warning ever!

12 Likes

Is he staying outside? I know here in Washington they have to give you 72 hr notice to enter. But I don’t think there is anything for just being on property. :woman_shrugging: Maybe talk with him, and ask if he would be willing to come at a more reasonable hour?

4 Likes

He’s not supposed to do this. The landlord is supposed to give a 24 hour notice. Look up your state laws and go from there. If needed u will have to take it to court.

12 Likes

My landlord walked into our home without any notice or knocking while my partner was asleep and I was at work. He was standing in the door frame of my bedroom door, we called the real estate and they told us to report it to the police !

9 Likes

Whatever you want to say to him put it in writing incase you have legal issues over it.

1 Like

He doesn’t have to give you notice, only to go inside, ask him what he’s doing, he may be taking pictures for insurance purposes
BUT, ITS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO ENTER WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION, AND YOU DONT HAVE TO GIVE IT TO HIM, YOU CAN TELL HIM TO WAIT UNTIL ONE OF YOU IS HOME.

2 Likes

Is he entering the home? He has to legally give you notice if he is coming in.

1 Like

There is a Tenants Bill of Rights. I had a landlord tell us after our lease was up and wed moved out fully paid up, that we had to pay to paint her condo. I looked it up. The landlord is obligated tobdo it between tenants. She dropped it!

1 Like

I have been thru this and am on hud which has additional rules. It’s illegal as hell. That is a quote from hud on all properties. We have found my maintenance man coming to fix my stove and caught him snooping in my bedroom. He has let himself in without notice when I was in shower and came into the bathroom to tell me to hurry up. I have complained. I no longer shower during the day hours and I no longer leave my house without someone here where means everything I have to leave with my kids I have to have someone come over.

I feel your pain. If on hud. The speak to hud regarding this. If not then Google and print out the laws on notice for landlords in your state and drop off at their office. Also start recording everything it happens and make sure to ask them why they didn’t give u any notice. Good luck.

Read your lease. It should state how much notice must be given before a landlord enters the property. That being said, if he is walking around outside and not entering the home/apartment, there’s probably not much you can do legally.

How many times has he done this, has he ever gone inside, are you suppose to have a dog. Do you clean up after it…:thinking:

Next time someone is lurking outside your property call the police. He will learn his lesson. Get new locks on door too.

3 Likes

For this to be happening you need to becareful I had a landlord do this to me and my family and come to find out he had sold the house from under us while we were living there and we had to move.

The right thing to do is have respect and let the tenant know that he will be stopping by. Check your lease or contract and see what it says… if it doesn’t have anything about that and as long as he doesn’t come in not sure if anything can be done.

Check both your lease and your state laws.

Typically, a landlord must provide a 24 hour notice before showing up, unless it’s an emergency situation.

I would check your lease and local laws and then send the landlord a text simply asking them to notify you in advance of when they’re coming to the property. Tell them when they show up unannounced, especially early in the morning, it sets the dogs off and wakes everyone up.

Here in Washington state they must give you between 24-72 hour notice. Before they can enter the property. Check your lease to see if it gives them a right to enter the property without notice.

Check your lease. Otherwise check local laws or ordinances. If he’s outside though, that would be different than coming into the home.

Look on your lease, see if it addresses inspections or rights on entering the property.

1 Like

Look at the rental lease you signed. It should mention when he can come by

Maybe he’s selling it or for insurance.

Sounds like a no-no to me.
Renters have rights

24 hour notice to come in. Not sure if they have to give notice to show up.

He could have been getting photos for contracting estimates or something

Call the cops :man_shrugging:t2: say you didn’t relise it was him and I bet he won’t do it again lol

Look up renters rights in the state that you live in & go from there.

Ask him if he’s thinking of selling

Not much you can do he only has to give you notice if he’s entering the apartment