My family is livid I am dating a single dad...advice?

Wow. I’m glad my husband’s family was not this way. I had 3 young kids when we met and he had none of his own at the time. Long story short, we married within a year of meeting and have been together now for almost 18 years. We have an amazing family with 5 beautiful kids now. If this man is your person, your family is wrong and selfish. Go love that man and those little girls. If your family doesn’t want to be a part of that, it’s their loss.

Prayers for your family AMENE

Your family is being very selfish

Your family is being ridiculous :confused:

It’s your life not theirs, if they cut you off for doing something that makes you happy then that just means they are first off, toxic, but they also will miss out on getting to see all the good things to come in your future life, that is their loss not yours! Some of my fiance’s family basically disowned him when we got together “we will welcome you back with open arms when you leave her” is actually what they told him, because I already had kids and he didn’t and because they wanted him to be with an ex that they was close to (even though she cheated on him their whole relationship smh). We have been together 5 years, have created 2 beautiful babies together and he loves and provides for my other children as if they were his own, those family members still to this day choose not to have much to do with us, their missing out on awesome kids and seeing their son THRIVE in life, again that is their loss not yours. No sense in missing out on what you feel is a very important person to you because your family wants to meddle, you only get one life, live it to the fullest and always do what makes YOU happy, if it ends up not working out, it won’t be from lack of trying, if you don’t try you will always wonder “what if” and everything happens for a reason, you live and you learn, it could be a lesson or the biggest blessing in your life, it’s in your hands and your hands only to make that decision. As I always say, if they ain’t paying my bills or putting food on my table, then their opinion is irrelevant!

Well if you feel like he is the one you have to take that step to see if that is true you can’t go by what your family is doing . Your family should be happy for you and just because your going to date someone that already has children doesn’t mean that you want any of your own. And if they was really a good family they would wanna meet these beautiful kids as well and love them as you would. Yes u need to do what is best for you never back away from something that you feel like is your person cause you will always be like what if…and you do not want that on your mind at all. I say you go for it chic you do you if your family lives you like they are suppose to they will continue to love you and then fall in love with them as well and except them as family as well. I wish you the best and hope all works out.

How did a bunch of mean people raise such a wonderful person? Do not let your family change your heart. Keep loving the person your heart tells you is the one for you!:revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

It’s your life. As bad as this might sound, I will ALWAYS choose my husband over my family, other than my kids. He is the one that is there every night, who I go through life with, and who I share my struggles with. My husband is my best friend, my family is supporting cast. You love your family, but they aren’t the ones that you would be doing life with every day, so they don’t get a say in those decisions……and if they cut you off for it, that’s their loss. You grow up with your family, and then you go off and build your own, however YOU see fit.

1 Like

I think you’re family (although going a bit far in my opinion) is scared of you/them getting attached to these children & then the relationship not working out and then being ripped from y’all’s lives. I think there MAY be more fear than malice in their words/feelings although they aren’t expressing them well at all. And on top of that, they prob are too having to realize that the dream they had in mind for you may come to an end and the future that is meant for you, a new, exciting, different but amazing dream is just around the corner. Your parents/family may be struggling with this for many reasons and unfortunately their fears are coming a crossed poorly. There SRE scary factors to going down this road, but there are great opportunities and rewards for all of you too. I hope it works out and this is your happily ever after, that you are just who GOD has picked to help raise these little girls, parent them & become their mother in every aspect of the word. Obviously it’s your life and bottom line, that means everything is your choice. If it were me, I wouldn’t change anything about my situation, whatever you feel is right, with your relationship and the children involved, do it… I think you guys have respectfully taken your time and waited to bring you & the children together which in my opinion shows that Dad is a great protector of their feelings & really wants it to be right before taking that step. It sounds like you’ve found a good man, a family opportunity & a chance at happiness. I’m sure it will come with challenges, stepping into a family dynamic with 2 small children who have already been through so much might prove difficult but love grows and nourishes all relationships and they wouldn’t be losing dad, they will be gaining you. I wish y’all the best of luck… as far as your family goes I think it’s just going to take time, time for them to see that this is what you want, time to realize that these little girls can have a place in their hearts too, and that the family dynamic you have chosen is one that they can choose to grow with and love and that when you do add a new baby one day, that child will come home to a house full of family and love… hopefully time will help your family see all of this. Give them grace, they are scared too, but also don’t allow their thoughts to keep you from entering an important & loving chapter in your life. Prayers and love being sent your way!

1 Like

My daughter became mommy to a two year old special needs baby boy almost 5 years ago. One of the greatest day of our lives. He is still an only child and she is most definitely his mommy. My first grandchild, my cup runneth over :heart:

1 Like

Personally let your family cut you off !! They obviously don’t have a heart ! There are not many people like you who would love and accept children that not yours and is willing to love and care for them as if they are yours ! I don’t think his children is at fault so personally stay with him and hope he is the man you fell in love with !

2 Likes

I think you do what makes you happy

1 Like

The only family that matters is the one you create…

Ur family will come around if not sorry for there loss your a single mom he is a single dad two single ppl loving each other with children are amazing ( the man I call dad is my step father ) have a play date with all the kids and watch the bond happen

I have been with my husband since I was 22. He had a 4 year old. 12 years later we have 2 of our own now as well and I love all of them the same. Do whatever your heart tells you to.

1 Like

Your family sound like a bunch of selfish turds, I personally would have cut anyone family or not if they had that attitude while I was raising my partners kid.