My doctor told us it was okay to let our baby cry it out...advice?

We got the go ahead to let our 7 month old cry it out at night from her doctor. But I’m not sure how to go about doing that since she would be sharing a room with her 2 year old sister and we don’t want to wake her up at night. Any suggestions?

5 Likes

Your baby isn’t crying to annoy you or be malicious. It’s a baby. It’s crying because it needs something - food, nappy change, cuddle would be the first things to try. Please don’t leave your baby alone to cry.

1 Like

That’s cruel. A baby feels safe with you. You need to give the baby nothing but love and comfort. Continuous crying isn’t good for their development either. Don’t have kids if you think you’re gonna “spoil” them or be too lazy to take care of them :rage:

12 Likes

I would never!!! I would get new doctor
Your baby cries because they NEED YOU TO HELP THEM. only reason why they stop crying after while is because they LOSE HOPE that help will come. This is barbaric and cruel. Cuddle and love your baby and help them with their needs.

8 Likes

Trust your instincts, I didn’t always listen to my pediatrician. I couldn’t last for more than 5 minutes before getting my crying babies.

2 Likes

I was going to say good luck with that it’s heart-wrenching each time the baby cries and can’t settle herself back down pick her up Soother and then put her back to sleep no play time

3 Likes

Keep her in your room until she’s sleeping through the night. And good luck.

7 months awful young to let cry it out in my opinion. Go with your gut. Doctors aren’t always right. You know your baby best

1 Like

Our pediatrician gave us the same advice and I just shook my head ok meanwhile inside i was saying F You. I find cry it out barbaric

2 Likes

PLEASE do not leave your baby to cry it out that’s awful and completely unnecessary!!! 7 months old isxstill super little!!! Hug your baby give your baby love and attention!! And also find a new doctor!!!

2 Likes

You don’t. The child does not learn how to self soothe, the baby learns no one is coming to get me.
You need a new pediatrician.

2 Likes

Dont do it. Show that baby love

2 Likes

From what I have read in several places babies don’t learn how to self regulate until the are 2. My baby is 8 months old, sleeps in my room in her pack and play and I rock her to sleep almost every sleep. I sing baby shark and by the end of the song most of the time she is out like a light. I will start putting my little one in her own room at a year old. I will start with naps during the day and work up to night time. I hope you find a way that works best for your little and family.

She is 7 months old :pleading_face: a tiny baby, she needs you mama :heart:

4 Likes

I’d say ok and not do it. It is ok to disagree with your child’s doctor. I never let my kids “cry it out”. I never recommend it to parents either. I think it’s mean.

2 Likes

That’s so cruel in my opinion. Poor baby.

The fact that you are even considering it….

Idk abt 7 mos, but around 9 or 10 months we did increments. Like 2 min, 5 min, then 10, etc.

Huh…nah…just seems harsh for a baby to scream it out. Like say it out loud a few times

Goes to show education does not prevent you from still being an idiot.

The only reasons “cry it out” is a suggestion because it is good for their lungs and allows baby to learn to self soothe.

1 Like

When my second was born I was living in a 2 bedroom townhouse. One floor and an unfinished basement. I’ve always let my kids cry and learn to soothe themselves at night when it was time. Seen as how, at the time, my oldest was 5 and starting school, I moved out of my room and into the basement so both kids got their own rooms. I’ve never co-slept with my children. I also didn’t think it would be fair for my oldest to be waking up all hours of the night when he has school the next day. That worked perfect till my youngest was sleeping through the night. Then I took my room back and the kids shared until we moved into a bigger house.

I could never imagine allowing my baby to cry it out. I would much rather comfort my daughter than for her to develop the idea that her mommy isn’t there for her in times where she wants/needs comforted. Blows my mind that anyone would think this is a viable solution to forming attachments with their children.

I am not looking for a negative hit here so please keep comments ro yourself.i am trying to give advice . I have 4 kids 13,9,3,and 9 months and yes doc says let them cry it out and yes I have but I also help I don’t pick them up and hold them because u will just teach them that they cry mammas coming. I hove them a toy to play with or a bottle of water we also have a blanket full of tags.babes gets distracted from crying and basically saying come get me and calms down and plays quietly and falls asleep.it does work and they do learn ok my bed is now or nap.

Put the 7 mo old to bed before the 2 yr olds bedtime.