My 16-year-old wants to drop out of school: Advice?

I dropped out at 16. Here I am at 33 finishing my last 2 courses to get my high school diploma because I dont want just my GED. Good luck. Teenagers will do whatever they want.

honestly if hes been in honors he can get his ged in a few months and if he goes threw a ged course… 9/10 hold a aisle walk graduation ceremony so you could still get your pictures

I would try an online program. There are charter school that you go to school once or twice a week. The fact that that he gets good grades means that he might be having some socializing issues or is not happy there. I’d listen to him. You are still validated in your concern.

It depends on what state your in some states like ky you cannot drop out you must finish school or you can’t get a driver’s license and the parents can could face jail time

I really hope he doesn’t but if he does tell him about the 9 month program schools they accept GED. My sons dad went to SJVC (in CA) hands on training he went for heating air and refrigeration I believe and me makes over 30 an hour

he can try for his GED & then go to college. But you need to tell him, that is what he needs to do, or he needs to get a full time job in the mean time :slight_smile: Or several part time jobs. He need to work to see what the real world is about if he doesn’t get his GED & go to college. Many states except Indiana, Louisiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Marine, New Mexico & Oklahoma, allow a child drop out with parents permission. So if you live in any of the other states, he should be good.

If he lives in your house he needs to follow your rules. Tell him he needs to finish high school end of discussion.

1 Like

You’re making this about YOU and not your son. Maybe HE doesn’t want to walk and wear a cap and gown. It says he wants to go to college so he’s not just dropping out to be a dead beat. Bottom line, stop making this about YOU and listen to your son. He’s old enough to know what he wants.

3 Likes

Unfortunately getting a GED some employers won’t even look at your resume. My old boss would toss them out. He said if people couldn’t finish high school he wouldn’t trust them to finish what he wanted done. I tried saying wasn’t the fact they did get a GED proof they were motivated? But he didn’t but that…there are lots of online schools you should see if he would want to finish online…maybe it is the drama of highschool he needs to get away from.

3 Likes

I am 17 and graduated a year early with a baby. That was my exact original plan. But instead I went to the counselor and asked for programs that the school provides to where he he can do it online or at a separate building or more private classrooms or etc. I went through a program through my school half online and half in class teach with only like 9 students per classroom and I graduated early but I still got to walk with my class w cap and gown and recieved my diploma.

I let my son do the GED and although he received high school equvelency at the age of 46 there are multiple things that he is prevented from doing because he did not finsh high school and get the diploma. Most employers and services want dependable people that will see projects through and the see the high school diploma as evidience of starting something and seeing it through to completion. If I had it to do over I would not have let my son quit and take the GED because of that simple fact/hindsight.

1 Like

Do not let him. He will regret it. I dropped out and have my ged and I wish I had just done online school instead of completely dropping out. He is a minor it’s your choice to let him or not.

Sixteen is still a kid. Your job as a parent is to see that he becomes a responsible adult. Staying in school will make him better prepared. Sounds like he thinks he’s too smart.

Tell him to at least get the GED and then he NEVER HAS TO GO TO SCHOOL EVER AGAIN if he doesn’t want to lol

2 years vs the rest of his life. Not that bad.

It sounds like he still wants to do the work, but at his own pace without having to deal with all the drama or hassle of going to school. You may need to look into the reason why he doesn’t want to go, it might just be a bad environment for him and he’s choosing a path that he thinks will give him the same chances without having to be there. An alternative, online school might be better for him.

2 Likes

See if he can do online stuff to finish high school. I graduated with a diploma at 17 only a semester early but if he starts now and maybe does summer stuff he might get done sooner.

High school diploma looks better than a GED . But if he doesn’t care about that than it should be his choice in my opinion.

Call authorities. Do it while he’s still under 18 once he’s 18 you have no control. Until then you are his boss.

Suck it up and finish. I dropped out due to bullying and regret it. The GED is pretty easy and you can take classes for it.

He sounds as if he is tired of the stupid adolescent behaviors in high school and is very intelligent. What does he want to do? He cld easily get a GED.for c advice, you need to provide more info.

I would tell him that GED is good but a High School Diploma is much better in the long haul employer higher HSG before GED and mom and dads love to see their grown child walk in front of friends family to Graduate your kid will refer finishing with class see if he want to go trade school of some sort at night or class on line

Alternative school or online school

Life is always beautiful when you be with the true person you love. For almost a year my lover had broke up with me and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great spell caster Dr Madini Opa who helped me to bring back my lover to me and today I am with him now and happy together and very grateful for what you have done for me Dr Madini Opa Email him via spiritualmadiniopa@gmail. com OR what app on +2349026948490

1 Like

Maybe he wants to work a dead end job the rest of his life!?

Honestly
If he is getting his GED what does it matter? When applying for entry level jobs, the question is “did you get a diploma/GED? It’s never diploma OR GED, it’s always combined. It isn’t a shame and SHOULDNT be treated as such. Let him switch to the GED program, graduate early and be on with his life :woman_shrugging:t6:

3 Likes

seems like your son’s pretty smart considering he’s an A and B student I would give him three months to try it if he couldn’t consistently keep his great grades he would be going back to the school now if my son came to me was failing every class and wanted to do this I don’t think I would let him because he would need extra support and a new learning plan

Alternate school at his own pace instead? Then he can still get the diploma. I finished my grade 12 half a year early doing it at my pace

If he’s getting his ged and is planning on attending college early I don’t get the big deal. I graduated high school at 16. Walked and everything. So it is possible he can just get the rest of the credits he needs (if that’s any) and petition to graduate early.

Does he live at home because if he’s making his own decisions he needs to move out. The only 16 yr old that need to quit school are the ones that had babies or the family is so poor that have to work. He’s in your house your rules.

1 Like

I know a lot of highly intelligent people who didn’t graduate high school and got their GED. If it’s just about you wanting to see him walking for his degree then maybe you should sit down and discuss this more. Walking isn’t the most important or memorable part of high school, I barely remember mine and half my family didn’t show anyway.

1 Like

Some high schools offer online classes to do at home or in the school library. That might be an option. Is home schooling an option? It’s still considered a high school diploma. He’ll get a lot further with that than a GED now adays.

Gateway to college
Early HS programs
At community college
Usually paid for finish HS same time work on AA

Let him finish his GED or introduce him to these programs
His mental health is important and hes not giving up

Employers look for at least a GED

1 Like

Ok. This is easy. He’s 16. He doesn’t get to make that choice. You do. He goes to school or you go to jail for neglect. And if he can’t handle high school, do you really think he will do well in college? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Maybe he’s bored. Look into dual enrollment programs that your high school has with the local community college. My daughter was in college at 16 bc she had so many credits and finished high school at 17 by kicking credits back to high school. She then graduated with her BS at 20. My grandson is in a similar program and while it’s all at the high school, he will graduate with a diploma and an associates degree.

1 Like

You are the parent…don’t give him any other options period.

Tbh…if he intends on going to college and getting a degree then there will be no difference between him getting a GED vs diploma. He wouldnt be able to go to a university like Brown or Yale with a GED, but can still get into many good colleges.

I got my GED because I felt incredibly bored going to school and was ready to really start working on my education that mattered. Having him walk is just a ceremony for you. If he doesn’t care to walk then it really would be just for you. You can still have a graduation party for him because getting a GED is still an accomplishment. I know people who have graduated high school who can’t pass a GED test. Unless he is going into a very academic based career field then him having a GED won’t affect his chances at a job.

1 Like

I feel like a lot of people are misinformed about GEDs…I have my GED, went to college, have my bachelors, and am doing pretty well for myself. If you have a college degree an employer doesn’t give two shits whether you got a GED or high school diploma.

2 Likes

You need to look up the rules of a GED! This scenario is not an option

Have him show you a college that will accept him without Junior and Senior grades…

Maybe you could talk to his counselor and see if he could graduate early? I knee a few kids at school that had all their credits and graduated early instead. Or see if they offer college classes too. Some of my classmates went to college after lunch as well

Let him go his way he will be fine I knows what he wants to do

1 Like

At 16 your child shouldn’t make that kind of choice that will effect them down the road in life… maybe look at homeschooling or online classes?

If he doesn’t want to finish high school how is he going to want to go to college? Have him speak to a counselor

3 Likes

Why not let him get his ged and go to college early? Lots of hrs programs have cap and gown ceremony.

4 Likes

I don’t blame him schools are horrible and dangerous home is safer

4 Likes

I would say tough titty my house my rules. I know easier said than done. Enjoying mine while they are little lol

The GED is academically the same as graduating high school.Accepted by collages and employers.Seems to me the only issue is you wanting the ceremony?( Sorry but that seems very selfish)If he doesn’t want to I don’t see the issue? Support him, he’ll appreciate it.

9 Likes

No No… Something Ain’t Right At That School! Bullying Is What Comes To Mind! A & B Student Just Doing Wanna Drop Out. Check With School Hun!

No matter what they say a GED is just as good, and hopefully he studies a trade so he doesn’t have a hard time finding a job

3 Likes

High school is awful if his goal is to finish to start college then let him… it’s about a larger goal not getting that memory you counted on.
Let him follow his momentum before he gives up entirely and the graduation memory u share will be a much better one!!

11 Likes

see if he can test in to get into early college. i know in the state of nc we have it that literally 10th graders can take classes at the local community college… sounds more like he’s bored and not really being tested. his future is more about him than your own want of seeing your child in a cap and gown.

4 Likes

If he gets his GED they will still have a graduation. Be supportive it might not be the best decision but please realize that he could be making a much worse decision. He needs to know that you are there for him.

7 Likes

Tell him no - period. You are the parent he is the kid…

4 Likes

He has his mind set, let him!

1 Like

Home school or charter programs where he can work at his own pace and finish his hsd?

2 Likes

A lot of high schools have it set up to get dual classes and graduate high school with their diploma and an associate’s degree. He may be too old now to start but worth looking into.

Maybe it isnt challenging enough for him. If he is in advanced class and smart he probably is bored. Just saying

3 Likes

Online school! I hated high school. Wish online high school was an option when I was there.

2 Likes

There is more to learn in high school than just classes.
I would have a sit down and tell him it is not up for debate. He is not an adult until he is 18 and until then he will be going to school.

1 Like

Try and get the real reason he no longer wants to go to school. Online school is another option

2 Likes

I would say look into on line high school classes. I am in Florida and they have virtual school. You could home
School him. I would support his decision and accept his choice but depending on what he wants to do in the future a GED may just not he enough.

1 Like

I chose the route that your son wants to take. From my personal experience I was on a different learning curve than the other students and advanced at a faster pace so school bored me. I saw it as pointless for me to continue to go to school if they are teaching me things that I had already learned. I received my GED with honors (high test scores), had a graduation ceremony, and received offers for scholarships. Talk to him to understand why he wants to go this route and please support his decision. Is home schooling an option or as someone suggested dual enrollment (HS and college)?

I always call the GED the Good Enough Degree that’s what I have :joy::joy:

Home school do he can finish faster. Or go to ur local college and ask about high school/ college mix classes so he can get credits and still graduates

1 Like

You know, if hes gifted like that, fine, let him go and do so he can start his degree. But if he plans on sitting home and playing video games… hell no! School isnt for everyone, ya know. My son did the same thing, dropped out, took his GED and started a trade school.

My granddaughter quit school and got her GED. They had a ceremony and she wore a cap and gown and walked across the stage to get her GED. Very proud of her.

I did same thing after I got some advice from my health teacher. I missed so much school cos I hated going that I wouldn’t get credit for the classes I was maintaining A &B average. I kept failing because I wasn’t there enough tho and she told me your smart, you just don’t want to go, get your GED. I had it before my class graduated.

If hes smart and responsible let him do it. His goal is to graduate. This is good. Especially if hes happier for it. High school any more is horrible. Especially for the goal minded kids. He could also just take his classes online and not drop out of school. But for him to stay in just to make you happy so you can see his high school mile stones isnt fair to him. Go see him graduate at college. Much more important

We have dual enrollment in GA . many kids spend only a few hours if that at the highschool and the rest is at one of our local colleges. They graduate early as well.

1 Like

Here in michigan. A child can not drop out of school without a legal parent’s permission. Check the laws in your state. There would be no negotiating with “my” child on that. No choice.

Bridge programs with the local college through high school. Look into getting both credits to help him graduate sooner with college credits when he goes. Then he’ll already be established

1 Like

I told my mom the same thing just so I could get out of school at 16, and here I am at 20 years old about to get my ged and already 2 years behind all my old classmates. Honestly I wish my mom would’ve never let me because it’s one of my biggest regrets, if I was you I wouldn’t let him . Maybe get him to consider online school since he doesn’t want to do public school?

Well the ged school i went to did the big grad walk with cap and gown too

Quit high school at 16. Loved hanging out with my friends but hated the classes. Did not find out until I got my GED and started college that what I hated about high school was the slow pace. I’d get bored and my mind would wander. Being able to choose my classes and compress the actual time in a classroom turned the whole educational process around for me and I did very well. That being said, I would advise him not to quit, but to take a junior college course in something he is interested in. There are some doors that don’t open for a GED.

You could look into to see if there is a program half day school half day career center for something of his interest
Also even though he’s in a gifted program maybe it’s a lot on him may be burnt out
Possibly just regular academics would help
Lessen load
Just some ideals
My son was the same way till we did half day program
Not sure if the district you’re in offers this program

Two words. Running start. There are plenty of careers/jobs you cannot apply for if you don’t have a hs diploma…take him to speak with a counselor…not a school counselor.

Is high school even challenging him? If he can score high on the GED, there’s scholarships available. He can still get a cap and gown in 2 years with a Bachelor’s degree. So still a graduation if that’s what your really looking for.
Sometimes we hold our children back from what they need to grow vs what’s expected. He may need the challenges college offers to stay engaged.

1 Like

Maybe try convincing him to go to a vo tech or charter. He can still get a high school degree and wear a cap and gown.

Depending on schools dropping out is not even option til they are 18 and then even if they want to do GED you have to get approval from school and some will not sign off on it went through it with my stepdaughter.

Let him get his GED. Maybe he’s being bullied something sounds wrong. He obviously is smart he’ll pass no problems and he can start college or trade school sooner. Highschool graduation is long and boring anyway and pointless.

1 Like

GED students do walk with a cap and gown and its actually harder to get a GED then a high school diploma. GED students have to cramp a crap load of information into a small amount of time and learn it all to pass a giant fucking test and it’s wrong of you to not respect his wishes

1 Like

I was honor roll straight a student and I dropped out as a sophomore bc I was bored. I was always overloaded with school work that I didn’t get to play an this is from first grade on. Sometimes they need a Break mentally. Maybe give him a year of home schooling an let him go back for senior year or get to the real root if he isn’t overworked mentally. It’s slot of pressure we feel as kids in that spot. I went back and got my ged n diploma at same time. Sometimes it’s not what you want even tho you wanna see your kid walk. Think about his mental health and go from there. Get him to a psychiatrist just in case something else is going on. I’m speaking from experience. All my life was too much pressure. Give it a thought.

You’re the parent. He can’t legally make such decisions. Don’t give him permission to do that if you don’t want him to. You have the final and only say so. As long as he’s a minor, lives under your roof, he must abide by your rules. End of story.

2 Likes

I walked stage with my GED … I dropped out due to depression and high anxiety I wouldn’t let him drop out just cause he wants to .

He’s almost an adult. You can’t control him or his thinking. Let him. A BUNCH of intelligent successful people didn’t graduate. To name a few if I recall correctly…Steve jobs and bill gates

Hard to fight teenagers. School can be depressing for them and a lot of it is wasted time. One of mine faced similar. We were open about it and embraced and considered his position. He remained in school, took less stressful classes and got a job 20 hrs a week. He was much happier. Now has masters degree and doing fine. It’s not always the best fit for everyone. I have seen other teenagers feel the same as your son and did the GED and went to community college. If he is going to do that, you could agree as long as he learns a trade or skill.

2 Likes

Check with the college program he wants first. Will the GED be enough to be accepted without having to upgrade courses.

Current situation… My solution was that he has until December 2020 to either finish all his high school credits (virtually or in school) or take his GED… So its up to him on how he wants to proceed…

My son was the same way. I was told by his teachers when he was in 4th grade he was a genius. They had him doing college level classes but by the time he got into Jr.high he was bored. He would do his homework and not turn it in and was failing classes but then he’d take tests and pass with flying colors! I tried everything. It would’ve been nice if back then they had online classes but they didnt even have classes like they do now for the ones that more advanced. He eventually dropped out. And it’s sad he could’ve been a great lawyer. Or anything I’ve seen him take broken computers and make great computers and hes never had training for that.

Let him get his GED if he can go on to college. Or in my state he can do running start where they go to high school and college at the same time. If I were you I would let him do what he wants to. You don’t want to discourage him so he quits totally.

my son was suppose to graduate w a
regants diploma chose to drop out 2 wks prior to graduation w/o telling me got his ged started his own business making $80k a yr
personally a trade school much cheaper no student loan debt an can make just as much $ Good luck

Him getting a GED (General Education Diploma) is almost the same thing as the high school diploma. If he feels more comfortable getting his GED then I would let him. I would just make sure he knows that he has to finish getting his GED and then go into college. Maybe that is what is best for him maybe he is just getting bored in high school. Sit him down and talk to him and see if you can figure out the real reason he doesn’t want to be in high school anymore.

1 Like

How about finishing on line ?

Things a Mother Learns
I gave you life but I can’t live it for you.
I can give you direction but I can’t be there every minute to lead you .
I can teach you right from wrong but I can’t make your choices.
I can tell you about goals but I can’t achieve them for you.
These are just a few things I have learned.
Be happy in all of his dreamed and support him. I have a GED. I can’t tell you how to raise your son because its not the same world as when I raised my kids. Good luck

Let him take the GED. He can still earn a high school
Diploma at a community college while also getting college credit for the classes.
My twins did that and they started community college at 16 and by 18 had their AA degrees.
They are now working towards their bachelors. So they have a GED and a High School diploma and an AA degree. It worked out well for them

My mom told me if I dropped out I would have to find another place to live
Don’t know where she got the idea I was going to do that bcz I wasn’t
But definitely knew what would happen if I did

I’d be happy he has his goal set on graduating!! Maybe school life is horrible for him. Is his life worth it to you just to see him walk across a stage?!?

1 Like

I would definitely be getting to the under lying problem if he’s smart got good grades then I would be seeing what the issue is I have 3 daughter’s all graduated they are 2 years apart so they want to school together for a couple years and I have heard conversation when they got home highschool is hard

1 Like

What about homeschooling

2 Likes

The only prob with that is if he is trying for scholarships. Everything counts. Attendance, grades, participation in activities. Everything counts. I know college is not what it used to be and plenty good jobs are ok with no college but it sure helps in the corporate world