Is my mother in law overreacting?

This isn’t the first time we have had problems with my husbands family. My husbands mother called him last night crying and hyperventilating because we didn’t invite his sister in law and her family to the little pizza/park date with there brother and his family. My husband spent 3 days last week helping his brother and family move into there first home. He was the only family member who actually helped. So his brother gave my husband brand new shoes and clothes and then offered to have us over for pizza and a tour of the house. We went to his house yesterday and he showed me there new home, we enjoyed some pizza, my boys played with his daughter (cousin) and then he told us there was a park right around the corner. My 4 year old asked him if we could all go and he said of course. We were only at the park for about 15 minutes because it was closing. We all had fun and I captured a couple cute videos and pictures. I posted the pictures on my Facebook and thanked them for having us. One hour later my husband gets a phone call from his mom who is hyperventilating and crying that we didn’t invite his sister and her family. My mother in law always favors her daughter and kids and everyone in the family knows this. They have gone on many trips and outings without us all of the time. However if we do anything and I mean anything without my sister in law and her family she goes straight to there mom and then the boys in the family get attacked. I’m tired of being scared to share our life with family and friends on Facebook. We just want our boys to be surrounded by people who care, love and want to spend time around them. I’m not a confrontational person at all but I’m getting sick of this and want to say something. What would you do ? (My apologies for the long post)

166 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is my mother in law overreacting? - Mamas Uncut

oh great, the in-laws are at it again this page is helpful for stuff like that

1 Like

Time to have your husband straighten out both his mother and his sister.

16 Likes

Delete them from Facebook for starters n ignore them u r aloud to have ur own personal life n spend time with anyone u choose without being made to feel quilty eliminate the stressers

10 Likes

I’d say you thought they were too busy since they couldn’t help move lol but honestly it’s time to set clear boundaries and your husband and his brother both need to step up and shut this behavior down w mom and sister. It’s crazy and not healthy at all.

18 Likes

Sorry for the run-on sentence but I don’t get why people can’t hangout with one family member or one friend without having to invite the whole family and all the friends and it ending up as a big party…instead of a small visit.

10 Likes

Just block her on fb. Simple

6 Likes

Your husband needs to deal with her and his sister. Not your place to handle it unless you want to cause more issues.

10 Likes

First of all if it was his brothe that invited you over that would be his place to invite them not your husband’s. Your mother in law needs to talk to him instead of your husband. Ya’ll just accepted the invite for helping out, it was no part of your husband’s doing who his brother invites. MIL needs to get a grip. I"m so glad my MIL was never like that. She was the best MIL I could ask for. We miss her dearly.

3 Likes

Ignore her b.s live your life. Be great.

2 Likes

All my family is out of town and when I invite one family over I always extend the invitation to the others, if one family asks to come over they always extend the invite.

1 Like

How childish and ridiculous of them :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

Just delete her off fb. Or change your settings to where she can’t see your posts or pictures. I don’t have any of my in laws on my friends list.

10 Likes

Next time block them from being able to see the post I do this all the time. She’s being toxic and she thinks it’s okay to act this way because no one has set he straight.

8 Likes

I would tell her and the sister exactly why they were not invited. Why lie and pretend to be nice? Don’t bullshit people. Be straight up. They can fix their shit or they won’t. My husbands sister, refuses to fix her shit. So me and my children do not do anything with her. For a reason. His parents know and understand why and while they think I’m being unreasonable to keep her 4 month old niece away…she never bothered to even ask to meet her. So she can jump off a bridge :+1:

If she wanted an invite she should have helped her brother move.

5 Likes

Ignore her!!! Seriously you have your own life and was invited to someone else’s house. She needs to stop her crying and your husband need to tell her to but out. Some people act the world revolves around them.

9 Likes

Ignore and post everything

5 Likes

It was an invite to thank his brother for his help, obviously not a family gathering. Your husband needs to let his Mom know that. He has no control over what his brother does. Goodness. I feel for you.

5 Likes

Sounds like they are toxic and it’s ok to walk away from people, even family, I’ve had to do it, it’s better for your mental health

6 Likes

Its none of her business and you should tell her so. Not everything you do is gonna revolve around his sister.

1 Like

If I know anything about men and their parents it’s that they sugar coat everything. Stop the sugar. Tell that woman you had dinner after helping him move and y’all decided to go on a walk. Story over.

4 Likes

That’s messed up on the Mom’s part. People should be allowed to spend time with their family as they choose

2 Likes

Ok so idk how she can say y’all didn’t invite SIL and family and get upset with you smh It wasn’t y’all’s place to invite the sister over to the brother’s house. I’d tell her she’s barking up the wrong tree and go about my day. Family or not doesn’t mean u have to entertain such petty ridiculous drama. So just don’t , block her , hang up, don’t answer etc etc

3 Likes

I’d just delete them off your Facebook :woman_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Wow the sister seems spoiled af

1 Like

Ignore her you could always make it to where they don’t see the photos

You’re mil hyperventilating :rofl: she missed her calling she could of been an actress!!! I dont have advice other than expect more crazy,goodluck with that bunch

Where was she when her brother moved

3 Likes

Some people will always be the victim. They just look for stuff to cry about. They enjoy the drama.

5 Likes

I’d be telling her to mind her business

2 Likes

She is overreacting, you were being thanked for something you did and if she had helped then she would of been there. You should not feel bad

5 Likes

Delete them off Facebook. If you dont want to delete them then everything you post just set it to “friends except” privacy status and put their Facebook on there. Then to them it looks like you haven’t posted anything. But honestly I would ignore that drama. Makes me grateful of my in laws.

6 Likes

Family isn’t always blood. Mom and sister in law need to back off. Jealousy is an ugly color that some wear very well.
Your husband helped his brother, in return treated yall to dinner for it. His sister, did not. You don’t get to reap the rewards of something that you didn’t do.
It’s not wrong to cut people off or out of your life for your own peace.
Do all the things, post ALL the pictures. She will get over herself.

You know you can post things and in the privacy settings eliminate who can see them?

So… this sounds potentially dramatic but… exclude the SIL and maybe even the MIL from seeing everything you post that would stir that pot, and don’t tag the BIL. Then you can post whatever you want. Seems like the women in that family are a bit toxic.

5 Likes

Best get this negative behavior dealt with now. WHY does everyone allow those that start drama to keep doing it because they are afraid to say or do something? People! You have your own lives to live. I don’t care if it’s mom, dad, aunt, sister, brother or whoever stop allowing them to decide what and who and when you live your life for! If they can’t understand and respect that oh well. At the end of the day your still the ones taking care of your own so if you keep an enabled attitude of allowing it to continue from whoever it is then blame yourself for that.

1 Like

You shouldn’t have to delete anything or make it private your husband has a choice to feed into the crazy or simply say the relationships between siblings has nothing to do with you mom and I am not going to discuss it! Do not hide what you want to do or share. It is not your or your husband’s responsibility to make anyone feel better.

4 Likes

Tell her it’s none of her business what you do.

Oh these in- laws.Ignore them.

1 Like

Simple… your response should be “nothing was planned aside from helping them move in. We took a break at the park down the street. Had anybody else volunteered to help they would’ve had the same experience!”

10 Likes

I would tell her to mind her own business. They didn’t help him move. It had nothing to do with her.

2 Likes

Yah she can chill her own daughter seems like she don’t care bur yet she’s all worked up. Let her throw her fit shell be done sooner or later

The mother is totally overreacting they are adults and it wasn’t even yall that made the plans AND ITS NOT LIKE YOU PLANNED TO GO TO THE PARK🙄

Tell MIL (as a united front with your husband) that if she doesn’t stop her meddling you will have to cut her out of your lives. Be clear about the behavior you need to see from her for her to continue seeing her son and grandchildren.

Also sounds like she’s bored and the mother-daughter symbiosis gives her purpose. See if you can get friends or organizations to invite her to participate in volunteering. Foster animals, support the library, help at a school, recreation center, or hospital, join a seniors dance group, take a class in anything, join a Silver Sneakers walking group, sing with a choir, and as someone mentioned, get the drama queen in local theater!

Alternatively, help her find a job that would suit her interests and give her something to do, extra money to travel or have fun, and people outside of family with whom to interact.

2 Likes

Eh, I’d honestly block my sister in law before I stopped sharing photos of my kids having fun. :woman_shrugging:t2: It might be just me but her opinion wouldn’t be worth my time.

6 Likes

Oh brother the sister needs to be told she’s not the sun with the family revolving around her. She doesn’t have to be invited everything!

1 Like

Your husband and his brother need to speak to their sister. She should not be causing their mother that much stress because she’s jealous and feeling left out. I guess she should have helped her brother move in. It’s not your husband’s place to invite her to their brothers house. She sounds like too much drama to me. Personally I would remove her from my account. Only for the sake of your Mother in law and your own sanity. She doesn’t need to be involved in everything her brothers do. If removing her from your profile will cause too much drama then make a private post and don’t include her on the post. You can easily edit your privacy settings.

3 Likes

Yikes. I’d do more outings like that. Maybe they’ll weed themselves out

WOW your sister in law seems to think she’s entitled to everything. Where was she and her family when her brother needed help moving? Your husband needs to stand up to his mother and ask her why her entitled daughter couldn’t help!

3 Likes

Tell her she raised her family and you’ll raise your the way you see fit!

That’s gotta be annoying but for future references there’s this amazing feature on Facebook where you can choose whom you want to restrict from seeing what you post on fb ! It’s really an amazing feature lol

4 Likes

I’d block MIL and SIL on fb first and foremost. Then they can’t even see your posts. Y’all should be allowed to do things without mom freaking tf out because the sister wasn’t invited. She absolutely was overreacting.

9 Likes

I’d definitely say something, if they got a problem with it take the mother and sister off of your socials, its always a shame when grown adults act like children. You don’t want your children to learn this behavior is acceptable.

2 Likes

This is purely jealousy and control ,you did the right thing x

1 Like

The MIL and her daughter need to get over themselves. The whole family doesn’t need to be at all outings. And it was because your husband helped his brother move. Sounds like she jealous and likes to start drama

1 Like

Knowing you have a Crazy mother in law. DO NOT PUT NOTHING ON FB, I Never put anything on my FB because I do Not like letting people know my Business.

Band together and tell them how you feel. It was an impromptu outing. And it’s not like it was a big party or anything sheesh. She is way over reacting

1 Like

Block Mother-in-law and sister -in-law.

4 Likes

Also you can actually put the MIL as restricted on your friends list meaning they can only see what you want them to see

4 Likes

Your MIL is definitely overreacting and overstepping! You don’t have to include everyone in everything you do, and you shouldn’t have to stress yourself out about posting fun things your family does on social media if you choose to do so!

Sister-in-law is a spoiled, entitled brat. She needs to grow up and start acting like an adult.

5 Likes

Block them from Facebook. You won’t have to deal with their drama and you can post what you want.

2 Likes

This is a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation.
I think you need to stay neutral in it… And let your husband handle it.

I was blessed with a wonderful mother in law…however I do feel for you. She definitely overreacted

1 Like

I’d unfriend her from fb. That’s drama That’s childish and irrelevant.

It wasn’t even your husband or your place to invite sister in law seeing as you wasn’t at your house and I say screw your sister in law she needs to stop acting like a child and grow up your mother in law and sister in law are in the wrong

1 Like

Don’t let Them see anything you post online. I do the same with my in laws.

You owe no explanation. She can get over it.

Fuck them both lol they’re tripping

Block them on social media

I’d block them on Facebook or set it where you are still friends but they can only see public posts and not the posts set to friends only. And I’d tell her she needs to calm down and everything you do doesn’t have to involve their sister. She doesn’t like it, don’t care that’s how it is going to be so get used to it.

5 Likes

Your sil is toxic… just smile and wave… she’s making herself miserable

1 Like

Block them or start calling them that same way when they do something without you :joy:

1 Like

Sounds like my ex’s family. They will get butthurt over literally everything.

You DONT have to Unfriend ppl on Facebook to block them from seeing your posts …
Do It

1 Like

I would block the sister in law and mother in law from my fb account first. They have no right to dicate anything you do and to save yourself the stress I would just block them so they can’t see anything…

2 Likes

Just block the pictures and post from being shared with your sister in law and mother in law. You can still have them as friends on Facebook but restrict them.

3 Likes

Be honest or it’s going to keep happening

1 Like

Personally behavior of mom and sis in law is a whole different level! Tell them both your doing you and your family and too bad they arent always included! (Doesnt have to be as harsh as I write) husband needs to tell mom also to deal with it all adults with families time to let it go! Sister in law…well shes a whole mess to herself!,if after all are spoken too and still behave then block…you can block the selected people from specific posts too if need be…good luck! Sounds like a fun day

3 Likes

I’am making over $140 an hour working online with 2 kids at home. I never thought I’d be able to do it but my best friend earns over $ 18264 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The potential with this is endless

Chk This—>> https://dollarearningjob2659.pages.dev/

There’s nothing to do. Ignore her and he needs to tell her it was an appreciation thing and that’s that.

5 Likes

Let your husband take care of it. You just continue to do you and post whatever you want on social media and just ignore it.

6 Likes

they sound immature, keep living your life and ignore them.

2 Likes

I would have set boundaries a LONG TIME AGO. Ask her about the trips and outings the boys weren’t invited to . Another thing you can remove both of them off your Facebook.

3 Likes

I don’t have this problem at all, but in my mind…I think I would be SUPER petty and post more on Facebook just to annoy them a bit more. But please don’t take my advise, I’m not a professional lol

3 Likes

Block her from seeing posts like that if she’s going to over react. You don’t need the grief. I’m not saying block her permanently but just on particular posts. I used to do that with a certain family member who always reacted badly to things I’d do with others that he didn’t like. Life’s too short to have that grief in your life

3 Likes

Dude. She’s overreacting. It’s not as if it were a bday party long planned out. Good grief.

I would still post them on my Facebook even more now. But now I want to know more what did your husband say to his mom?

Delete and block them all and tell them you just deactivated your fb lmao

1 Like

The best thing you can do is ignore it and do nothing. Nobody should respond to her at all. Blocking her sounds like a good idea, too, but when she finds out you’ve done that, she’ll get sneaky and get in to your business anyway. Ideally, your husband should handle his side of the family and you should handle yours. Time to be honest with her and set firm boundaries.

1 Like

I’d be reminded her right quick that it wasn’t your place to invite them, as it wasn’t your house. So, ya, she’s WAY overreacting.

3 Likes

You stay out of it and let your husband handle his mom. Don’t get caught up in his family’s drama. Go enjoy your life and let her huff and puff…just ignore it

3 Likes

You have the absolute right to do what you want to do when you want to do it without your nosey mil butting in. I would have told her, first of all before throwing stones get your facts straight…my husband helped his brother and his brother showed his appreciation! No one else helped including you or his sister so why would she be invited to a thank you and appreciation event…she didn’t help!!! I’d also let her know she has a tendency to stick her nose into your business and since your husband and his sister are adults she needs to stop trying to run interference for the pouting brat! :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

If the sister had offered to help with the move she would have been invited.

5 Likes

She needs to grow the F up it was intented as a thank you, not the whole family get together good grief

3 Likes

Ignore her…the sister doesn’t have to be everywhere you go. Besides this was a spontaneous thing so yeah…

1 Like

Tell her to get a life and kindly bud out of yours .

1 Like

Tell the MIL the sister didn’t help with the move so she wasn’t invited. It was just the mover and movee and families. If she has a problem with that, too bad.

4 Likes

So according to you MIL 2 brothers & their families can’t do anything enjoyable together. But they can do work (moving) together,. Tell your MIL if SIL wanted to join in on the fun part she should’ve also helped with the work part.

7 Likes