Is it wrong of me to ask my ex to make a house payment?

I bought a house last September. The process took longer than expected, I had started in June. In August, my boyfriend proposed and we got engaged. The plan was to have this place as our starter home until we decided where we wanted to be long term. I have kids and he doesn’t so we were able to keep them in the same school. He said he would help out with the house payments but he wanted his name on the deed which I ended up adding him to. Well, my fiancé got tired of driving here (1 hr 15 min drive) and kept finding excuses to not come here. He said I wasn’t helping him find places near him - single mom, just moved, full time job. I ended the engagement and have asked him to take his name of the deed. It’s been months and he still hasn’t. Is it fair for me to ask him to pay? I know he won’t and I will probably have to do the process of removing his name from the deed since he hasn’t yet. Just looking for suggestions on the best way to handle this. please be kind, not looking for judgment on either one of usr

100 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it wrong of me to ask my ex to make a house payment?

Consult a lawyer… probably will be a court matter

5 Likes

I wouldn’t it might give him claim to the house I would just take his name of it and see if family or friends would help

10 Likes

Def consult a lawyer…ask him to make a payment and when he disagrees start the process of removing his name. Also never add anyones name to your anything.

18 Likes

He doesn’t live there. Yeah his name is on the deed, but I’m sure it’s not on the mortgage & you can probably get a lawyer & get his name removed from the deed, especially if the mortgage is in your name only & you are making the payments.

But he’s not obligated to pay the mortgage where you & your kids live. Thats just selfish. He supposed to pay your mortgage & pay for where he is actually living? Nah. And YOU ended the engagement.

24 Likes

You’ll need a lawyer for this, pretty sure you can’t just take someone off without their consent and signature as well.

1 Like

Not kosher. Just an unfortunate part of breaking up :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

He isn’t legally obligated to make the payments since he is not on the mortgage, but in order to have him removed from the Deed, you need to have a Quit-Claim Deed prepared which he needs to sign and have it notarized and then filed with the Recorder/Register of Deeds in the county the house is in.

17 Likes

If you know he won’t why even waste time asking , if he still resides at home have him evicted immediately or he can make a payment!

Nope thats all on you

Why wasn’t he living with you? He was on the deed and paying rent. Did you offer him to live there atleast

If his name is not on the mortgage then he is not responsible for any of the payments… Having him on the deed usually only helps of something was to happen to someone they wouldn’t have to go through probate… It also means he has claims to the house so I’d tread lightly if you want to get lawyers involved… Also he has to sign to be removed you can’t just do it

1 Like

He isn’t responsible for any payments because his name is only on the deed! So technically, there really isn’t anything you can do as far as the financial aspects

You have your solution-you will have to do this yourself☹️

If he isn’t on the mortgage…get an attorney. If he is on the mortgage…you will have fo refinance to do anything.

3 Likes

Good on you for not putting up with BS. Get a lawyer now so he doesn’t try and take your home.

2 Likes

a quick deed will have be signed by both of you to remove his name.

No. You were going to buy the house with or without him so why ask him to pay now?

6 Likes

Boy did you mess up!!!

11 Likes

Y’all were engaged and not living together. Am I the only one who finds that strange. I wouldn’t have put him on the deed till y’all was married. Period. I don’t think it’s his responsibility to pay for it

13 Likes

Lets see, hmmm, you broke up with him and called the engagement off, is that correct? If that’s true, the answer and only answer would be NO!

3 Likes

Sounds like you need an attorney and order issued for who has to do what w the house or any other assets

2 Likes

Ask him if he would like to take his name off and if not then tell him he needs to pay because you’re not going to pay for a house that’s going to be his

2 Likes

Just think of it this way… if things were the other way around would it be fair of him to ask you for money?

1 Like

Yikes! No! If he is on the deed he has an interest in your property. Meaning if you sold, the check would be made out to you both. If he doesn’t sign off, you have to take him to court. If he hasn’t paid any money, I definitely wouldn’t take any now. That would only support him having a claim to it in court. Call the title company closest to where he lives or works and pay them to draft a quit claim deed for you. Once it’s ready, let him know he simply needs to walk in during business hours with his ID to sign it. Play nice in the sand box because he does not have to!

10 Likes

Who in their right mind does something so stupid!!! Sounds like he set you up! He knew how far a drive it was so did you…

4 Likes

He proposed to you, yet he is looking for his own place to live…? Clearly no plans to move in with you anytime soon. Of course he shouldn’t make any payments toward the house. He doesn’t live there. Name on the deed or not. Which should’ve never happened till he was actually living there in the first place

6 Likes

Get a lawyer. Is his name on mortgage? Talk to lawyer before doing anything.

4 Likes

For anyone who listens especially if ur a woman do not ever ever put a man’s name on a house if u can buy it urself then keep it that way. Because it’s not going to work out!!!

8 Likes

Why people don’t get a prenup, I’ll never understand.

4 Likes

Well, as a real estate professional, his name on the deed does make him financially liable for the home. His non-payment will aid in you getting his name taken off the deed though, if he decides to push back on that. So I would just keep a record of your payments, which I’m sure you’re doing anyway and work to get them off the deed. That is more important than him paying part of the house note.

7 Likes

The house is half his so he could ask for you to sell it and he gets half.

4 Likes

Real property laws are so tough. If it’s written it’s rule. The house is half his. If he’s a good guy and didn’t put any money into the down payment he may sign it over. The court will look at it as a gift and you may have to buy him out. Everyone pay attention! Do not do title a boyfriend or girlfriend real estate.

10 Likes

No it’s not his responsibility to pay. You wanted the house and you ended the relationship

3 Likes

Nerp…it’s ur responsibility

3 Likes

No, not his kids not his house not his responsibility. Leave the man alone lol

2 Likes

Ummm… No. Get his name off the deed. You should have never put his name on in the first place.

14 Likes

You should’ve thought that thru before adding him to the deed. You brought the house not him so everything is your responsibility.

2 Likes

Never put a name on a deed if they do not share payment

4 Likes

This is too weird… You got engaged… Put his name on the house deed… A month later you end it with him because he didn’t want to regularly make the long drive to visit you… Now you want him to pay for a house he doesn’t live in and won’t live in. :exploding_head:

12 Likes

If you can keep making payments yourself, do that and have him removed asap.

1 Like

When i boufht my house it was the same situation and it ended up in family court. It was a nightmare. He needs to sign a quit claim deed it else if you ever sell it, you are screwed, even if its 10 years from now…

4 Likes

Youve made it his house too by adding him to the deed. Yes he’s entitled to contribute to costs whether he lives there or not…but he could also force you to sell the house and give him half the money , make you contribute to his rent when he finds somewhere…as half the house is legally his, or make you buy him out to keep your home. You need a lawyer quickly

7 Likes

Get a lawyer. As long as his name is on the deed yes he should pay. He has every legal right to that house as you do and if you decide to sell he’s entitled to half that money even if he never paid or lived there. That house is considered an asset to him.

Shouldn’t of put his name on the deed, not married, and he wasn’t living with there with you? Get him removed.

6 Likes

You need to go through the process of removing him. Talk to a lawyer. Keep records of you asking him to help pay the payments because I believe him being on the deed also makes him responsible. But I’m not positive on that. Unless he is a very reasonable man he isn’t going to take himself off the deed. You will have to take him to court for it to happen. Do you have texts or anything that show him saying he will make the payments but first you have to put him on the deed? You’ll probably need all that if it goes to court. Good luck. Don’t ever put another man on a house you bought yourself.

1 Like

If his name is not on the loan for the house he is not legally responsible for paying for it. With his name on the deed though. the house is also half his so I suggest getting a lawyer and getting that changed ASAP before you invest too much of your own money into the house.

4 Likes

I’m probably stuck on the wrong thing but…why is your fiance driving to ‘y’all’s’ house? Why isn’t he living there? Why would he want his name on a deed he obviously wants nothing part of? Tell him you need a full payment or your filing for his removal of the deed. That is just really silly.

8 Likes

You just get it done, why bother with a loser

Get a quit claim deed recorded asap to have him removed from title.

1 Like

You said the key word here … I … that was your choice .

If he’s on the deed, he owns the house just as much as you do, but if he’s not on the mortgage, he’s not at all responsible for payment. This will probably not end well

6 Likes

I’m really confused why his name was ever on the deed to begin with if he wasn’t living there, you are not married and he’s not the father of the children, not trying to judge but really trying to understand as that was a huge risk to take with a boyfriend or even a fiancé. I personally wouldn’t ask for any payments and try to get his name removed ASAP because otherwise he can legally force you to sell your home as he “owns” half of what it is worth even if he never makes a single payment. Hopefully he allows his name to be removed and everything goes smoothly for you and your family!

6 Likes

If he’s name is on the deed , he can make you sell the house and give him part the money which he is entitled to by being half owner . If he’s on the loan you might have to refinance to get his name off the loan and documents

4 Likes

:roll_eyes: why would u even do that. Get a lawyer

1 Like

You can’t sell it with out his signature. If you are struggling to pay hour house payment maybe you should sell ans start over in the home owners endeavor. Never add a person’s name to the deed that isn’t already invested in the situation. By invested I mean living in, paying for already and married to. Invested in your future as a couple.

1 Like

l Get paid over $115 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16972 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkings1972.pages.dev/

1 Like

He knew what he was doing. He’s going to want his half.

2 Likes

If his name is on the deed and you make him pay anything, it will be that much harder to remove him.

1 Like

Get him off that deed asap
He looking for a hand out.

4 Likes

Oh, my… you’ll be lucky if you can get him to take his name off the deed. I sure hope he doesn’t get a wild hair and start legal proceedings to either make you sell or buy you out so he can sell this house and look for something where he wants it. He may even make you buy him out instead of simply taking his name off the deed!

3 Likes

Whatever you do, just don’t lose your house and mess up your credit over a dude. Just ask him in a nice way if he could please help make payments since it’s still his responsibility too. I’m sorry this is happening.

2 Likes

Just remove his name yourself. This makes little sense but he Def doesn’t owe you anything for the house

3 Likes

l Get paid over $115 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $16972 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://proworkings1986.pages.dev/

1 Like

A lawyer will take his name off and usually not charge much

2 Likes

l Get paid over $113 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $13113 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarpayDay205.pages.dev/

1 Like

Easy. Tell him to start paying… for as long as his name is on the deed. That should hurry him up.

1 Like

Oh you messed up big time!!

3 Likes

I had to re qualify for my mortgage alone, it wasn’t as easy as just taking his name off. I had to fully remortgage and I had to get a lawyer, separation agreement and I had to pay him out.

3 Likes

Protect your peace. It isn’t worth it. Just take his name off and keep living.

1 Like

Wait he wanted to be on the deed and he wasn’t even living there? Why would you add him if he wasn’t living with you and paying half of the mortgage??

8 Likes

The mortgage is different than ownership. The mortgage (actually the note) is what legally links the names parties to financial obligations of the debt. The deed solely shows ownership. Legally he isn’t required to pay you anything. And frankly don’t even go down that road. If your thought process is by demanding he pay for half the mortgage it’s going to force his hand on signing off, if he knows anything legalese he’s going to know it holds no weight.

You know you shouldn’t have added him but honestly get on the phone with an attorney now to get him off. In Massachusetts it’s not easy at all because you’d both have to sign the new deed removing him & if he wanted to be an ass he could demand you buy him out…

1 Like

So sorry sis! I don’t think he will pay if you ask and if he did - it would be at a price. Do you and your babes for a while and cut this drama free. Good luck to you🥰

Do not let him make a payment. His name is on the deed and he made payments, he will get half the house.
Just do the process yourself and have his name removed

11 Likes

Is his name on the mortgage or just the deed?

1 Like

You’re going to have to refinance the house in your name to remove him from the deed. I’d honestly get an attorney. Is he also on the mortgage or just the deed?

5 Likes

If he is staying there he needs to pay. If he isn’t staying there he shouldn’t be responsible for payment

Depends if his name is on the mortgage. He can be on the deed without being on the mortgage. If he is on the mortgage he has a legal obligation to help pay, if he isn’t he does not. You can always ask, but he can refuse with no repercussion if his name isn’t included on the mortgage

1 Like

Get his name off or he can end up forcing a sale

3 Likes

Never ever add someone else to anything when you aren’t legally married

6 Likes

You dumb. Like BIG DUMB. He can legally take you to court & kick your ass to the curb stating you’re just a squatter. Like… wtf were you thinking putting him on there? Get a LAWYER QUICK. Like… yesterday.

Okay y’all, a deed and mortgage are the same thing. I work in the mortgage industry :rofl:

If he is on the deed but not on the note, he is not financially responsible for the loan/note. If something were to happen to you, ge would have the option of assuming the loan, refinancing and putting it in his name or giving it back to the bank. You can refinance the home and have him removed from the deed and only you be put on it or you can do the quit claim deed to remove him.

5 Likes

He put his name on the deed he’s legally responsible. He could legally live in your house whether you permit it or not. It’s his house too. He’s trying to guilt you into letting him have it both ways. A house he can live in if he chooses & not having to pay anything for it. Call a lawyer & see what the process is to make him take his name off the deed.

4 Likes

If he is not on the mortgage note, but on the deed, you can contact a real estate attorney. Ask them to do a quitclaim deed. The only problem with that, your ex-fiancé has to agree to that. If he does not, he will stay on the deed and own half the property until it’s sold.

2 Likes

….then don’t post on Facebook!!!

1 Like

No….Do not take any money from him….especially if you want him to take his name off the title. That you shouldn’t have put him on in the first place.
I would rather ask my ex
for some money. Putting someone else’s name on a house title can get very messy. If you have to sell the house he could end up with some if not half of the sale money. Look into filing what is called a “Quiet Title” it’s a way to get someone’s name off a title. To do this you can not accept any money from him

1 Like

I owned a house free and clear. (My name only). I got married.

I sold MY house which I’d owned before we married.
The check had his and my name on it. The bank wouldn’t deposit the check into my account because his name wasn’t on it!!!

Watch your step!! Need lawyer!

4 Likes

No it’s not fkn fair. He don’t live there, make your own payments

4 Likes

Girl. Deed. CHANGE IT!

1 Like

Sounds like you qualified for the loan on your own but just added him to the deed of trust. If you are in Texas a quit claim deed will not work. If he is on the promissory note also a Release of Liability is an option if your mortgage company will allow. Again this is for Texas.

Just sell. And start over. Without any one’s name other than your own.

2 Likes

No. You were in the middle of doing this before you even got engaged and you don’t share new kids together. He just needs to go on his way and you need to go on your way. When you take money from someone in any shape or form you give them a say so. His name definitely needs to be removed though. 

3 Likes

Why would anybody do this? Seriously people just wait until you’re actually married. Stop giving these boys a reason to take your house and property from you. Idc how much I love someone their names are not going on anything I own and making payments on.

5 Likes

Never add anyone period!!!

2 Likes

You need to contact lawyers not us. We have no clue on real estate law for your location. But I hope someone else reads this and has a moment of understanding that this was never a good idea.

3 Likes

crazy to put his name on deed in the 1st place since he never lived there and you didnt marry him. it will be a tough time to get his name off the deed

5 Likes

U gunna have to refinance to get his name off. That’s a bunch of legal stuff and u better start soon as u might have to pay him…

5 Likes

Change the deed like yesterday

2 Likes

Sell and move to another house without his name on it. He owns half the house now. Not cool

2 Likes