Is it silly to refurbish a barbie house for Christmas?

So I got the Barbie house free from someone who had posted it in a marketplace. I was going to fix it up and give it to my 3 year old for Christmas and buy some Barbie furniture to put inside. She’s newly obsessed with barbies. Do you think that’s a silly idea? Should I just give it to her now as is? My husband kind of laughed at the idea. I know she’ll LOVE it either way. It’s taller than she is. Also any ideas on how to refurbish? I would like to make it more “modern” and not so “loud”? Idk

67 Likes

I would save it for Christmas.

1 Like

3 year old wouldn’t notice the difference between old and new.

3 Likes

Absolutely not. People need to normalize second hand gifts. Or anything for that matter.

3 Likes

Give it to her for Christmas

1 Like

I think it’s a great idea!

I done this with a dolls cot that i had as a child. I painted it etc and was like new. Wouldnt get 1 like it now. She still has it and thinks alot if it cos it was mine. I gave it to her from mammy and daddy.

Save it for Christmas. She’ll love it. Furnish it, make it pretty, place a big bow on it. She won’t know it’s not new.

That’s such a thoughtful gift, my bf thinks all my ideas are silly but he puts up with it anyway :joy:

I think it’s a great idea. My kids get some thrift store items for Xmas all the time.

I say if you want to do it go for it! I think it would be amazing if you redid it for her! It would have more meaning and it’s something she could hold onto and hopefully pass down to her children

1 Like

Definitely do what u wanted with it, because it will be more worth it in the end, ull be putting ur love into it and it will probably make u feel better, because kids that age don’t know diffence between old n new like the other lady said xx

It’s been a hard year, be easy on yourself. She’s 3, she will love that her mommy made it special for her

3 Likes

I actually did this for my girls last Christmas. My girls didn’t notice the barbie house wasn’t brand new they could of cared less. I got them accessories for in it. They now use it for barbies and LOLs. The hard part is wrapping it.

1 Like

I have one I want to refurbish too! When my daughter is old enough, of course! I think it’s a wonderful idea

I would save it for Christmas! My dad refurbished a doll house for me to look exactly like our house and it was so special! I still have it to this day and will give to my daughter when she is older

3 Likes

I think it’s an AMAZING idea!

She’s 3! Best age ever for the magic of Christmas!

1 Like

I think it is a good idea to put s little mom into the mix she will like dolls until she is in the early teen yrs and then may decide to use it as something else just because of the story her mother had a hand in making it very special just for her …

Do it and you can redecorate with wall paper and other decor all at local dollar store !

1 Like

Do it!! My mom is refurbishing a wooden stand and making it into a vet center for 5 yr old.

When my 5 children were small we could not afford new toys so we would get used toys and fix them so they looked new.some people did the same

2 Likes

I think it’s a great idea. Not sure how to refurbish it though.

Great idea. I did this with a bike and it was a hit.

If the colors are loud its bc thats what little kids like. Add more, i say. Buy contact paper to do flooring, wipe down, and add a big bow. Let her help you decorate it with ideas u find online as time passes.

I did the same last year for my middle kiddo. Got the house for $10 and then bought all new accessories for it

1 Like

Great idea! Totally do it!

Kmart mums page would be perfect for you to get some inspo from.
It’s a lovely idea and not silly at all.

My kids get some new and some I bought second hand. We got a big house gifted to us last year and I told her we might try to fix it up this year because has a few loose pieces on it.

It’s a great idea. She’ll love it even more with your special touch and so will you!

If it’s something you want to do then do it!

Do it momma! She woul LOVE that! She wouldn’t know the difference!

It’s an awesome idea

It’s an awesome idea! She can even help make it more special :heart:

Dollar vtree has wood doll furniture you can buy and paint for it. Or watch yard sale

Great idea!!
You could use fancy card stock, vinyl sticky paper or paint to redo the walls and floors :blush: There are even some stickers you could frame and use as wall decorations. Maybe seal everything with some mid podge when you’re done to make sure everything stays put :wink:
You can very easily find all that kind of stuff from the dollar stores!
Look it up on Pinterest or look for diy doll groups in Facebook!
Good luck and have fun with it🤗

1 Like

Beautiful idea! Awesome mom :heart:

She will keep this forever as it’s a memory of you.:heart: I personally love this idea

I would definitely do it up xx

Put toddler proof accessories in it

No. I think we should normalize second hand as presents. This would be better than a brand new one because it was made special for her with love. :purple_heart:

15 Likes

Definitely not silly!
She’ll love it,

How fun go for it just remember no small pieces since kids put things in there mouth

If she will like it either way id say give it as is. Then you and her can have a fun project decorating it together!

I think giving to her on Christmas is a great idea

Do it up.

When I was a kid. My dad built me a huge wooden one. I loved it. I wish my mom wouldn’t have sold it…

1 Like

Great idea luv refurbish she will love it

Fix it up for her…her eyes will sparkle with wonder

1 Like

Check out these! Turned out Soo cute! Do it!!

1 Like

give it your touch she’ll cherish it. i did for my girls. i took mag clippings and made pictures and material for bed spreads. use your imagination.

I think it’s a great idea!

Fix it up. Paint it. They even have barbie accessories at dollar tree. I was shocked to see they even had a barbie bath tub the other day :rofl:

I think it’s a great idea, not silly at all! I’d fix it up a little and then work on it some together after Christmas too. You both will have great memories of the two of you bonding over her first fixer upper.

You do what you want!

Not silly at all. Nothing wrong with gifting used stuff to your children. That’s a problem with us as a society, we buy new when we could find something used that a kid will be just fine with used and it’s cheaper. They’re going to grow out of it too one day or do what kids do and sometimes break stuff along the way.

1 Like

Refurbish it so it’s one of a kind and unique to her. Some paint and scraps of fabric from the fabric store should go a long way towards making it look different. Have fun with it :blush:

1 Like

I don’t think it’s silly at all. I think it’s a great idea!

Save for xmas . Paint it different colors.

1 Like

I used to get wallpaper samples, carpet samples to put in my daughter’s dollhouse.

I was looking at doing that exact thing. I’ve seen some awesome ones.

A little bit of paint makes a huge difference!! And u can personalize it so it kind of matches her room and things. Sounds fun to me! Good luck!!!

OMG My joy and happiness has been so much so I just want to testify of what Magic Dr has done for me . All hope was gone; I
didn’t believe when a friend told me Dr momoh can help me get my ex lover back and he really did. I just want to thank him so much for helping me in my situation he is a great spell caster. I believe he can help anybody with relationship problems . You can contact him with this. WhatsApp him on +2348054753811 Thanks Dr momoh you can also has well contact him on Gmail [email protected]

1 Like

I think it would be great! Paint it and make it special for her!

Nope, my friend did this with a kitchen playset

No not at all. She will love it no matter what. More special as it will have your own touch to it.

No! I think it is a great idea!

Definitely not a silly idea. My 8 year old loves 2nd hand shopping. We do it our home mostly for clothes because she grows so fast but she’s able to find amazing deals on something she’s been looking for

1 Like

I think give it to her as is with vouchers to refurbish bits and pieces with you like adhesive contact for wallpapers.

My kids are getting a very well loved kitchen set for Christmas. My kids dont care and neither did I when I was that age. My son had a outdoor playhouse given to him and he and I sat and cleaned it up and he loves it. Save where you can and you have more to spend on something that they will really need or for a different occasion.

2 Likes

I love and appreciate second hand gifts!!

1 Like

My daughter received for her birthday a few years ago the Barbie house I used to play with when I was little. Over the years it has been passed down through all the girl cousins in the family and renovated a little each time. It’s over 40 years old and my dad built it.
NOT weird to refurbish. Pretty cool actually!

1 Like

That’s a great idea!!!

2 Likes

Christmas gift for sure with furniture and the whole works! So fun. I always wanted one when I was little and now.

1 Like

Why would it be silly to give your child something she will enjoy? Because you didn’t pay anything for it? Big deal. :woman_shrugging:t2: I do have a suggestion though. Give it to her as is and the 2 of you fix it up together. Let her pick out paint and other supplies that you would use to fix it up.

3 Likes

This is AN AMAZING IDEA! My grandmother did this for me when I was six, She used an old wooden doll house, painted it added carpet and wallpaper and made furniture for it…I no longer have the house itself (long story) but it was my absolute favourite gift ever! My daughter who is 9 still plays with the furniture she made out of plastic canvas, and our elf on the shelf uses the furniture as well.
This is a gift your daughter will forever treasure because her Mom “made” something special for her :two_hearts:

1 Like

I would give it to her as is then let her help fix it up with HER ideas! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Do iiitt! Awesome plan mama.

1 Like

Leave as is then she can tell you how she wants it.

1 Like

Super cool idea and I’m sure it will be one of her most favorite gifts!!

1 Like

Look up the playhouse makeover group! So many good ideas there.

Do it! I redid a 6volt truck for my son for his birthday yesterday and he loves I as much as if it was new.

1 Like

I applaud your creativity I think it is an awesome idea gifts that are personalized and given with love are the best.

1 Like

Thats what a lot of parents have done in Christmas past.

1 Like

Go for it, Mama! Sounds like a great idea :star_struck:

1 Like

Great idea it won’t matter to the little girl if it’s new or refurbished to look new go for it

1 Like

No way, that’s absolutely fantastic!!
You do that and tell her that santa loves her!!!
:heartpulse:

1 Like

That’s an awesome idea

1 Like

We spent a lot of time when we got a handle down wooden one. We used shelf paper as wallpaper and sticky tiles as flooring. We reupholstered the furniture. Made accessories. My daughter and I had a lot of fun with it. A lot of good ideas on Facebook

1 Like

No it is great do what you were go to do. Wait until Christmas.

1 Like

I would do it and use her style make it more something you know she would love instead of the generic colors they all come in

1 Like

We bought a used doll house for our granddaughter and we repainted it and put some furniture in it. The rooms were not big enough for barbies so we ordered the right size family from Amazon. She loved it

2 Likes

We refurbish literally everything. I love being able to take something that might not be so pretty anymore and making it one of a kind and just how I picture it, especially if it’s for someone else. Our entertainment center, China cabinet, pantry, dining table, coffee table, end tables, dressers, my kids nightstands, my daughters big rocking chair, the rolling island in my kitchen, and even the quilt rack my husband just made… it’s all refinished or repurposed furniture. It just takes a little work, time, and patience, so go for it.

1 Like

I bought my daughter a barbie house off market place for christmas

1 Like

I did this for my girls she they were young. We have had that doll house for 30 years. Granddaughters loved it too!
It will become a favorite, I did it as a single mom and not enough $. Made furniture with plastic canvas, bought some Barbies and crocheted beautiful clothes.

1 Like

Do it, toys are expensive and she won’t know the difference.

1 Like

Not silly at all, I’ve re vamped a dolls house into a superhero head quarters for my boys! Xx

6 Likes

Sounds lovely. You can get floor and wallpaper samples which do the job well. Mine used to love refurbing and put electric light in one! :joy: You can also buy sticky backed plastic which looks like wood flooring and sites do sell doll sized wall paper (or just use gift wrap).

1 Like

Doing it for Christmas is a great idea. Don’t let anyone laugh at you for doing something you know your little girl will love for Christmas.

15 Likes

I love it! I made an old bookcase into a doll house for my niece for her birthday. She loved it and still uses it 5+ years later.

1 Like

I think it’s an awesome idea

Perfect idea. After all Christmas is about giving from the heart not how much money you have spent. She will love it :heart:

1 Like