Is it normal for toddlers to always make messes?

Is it normal for toddlers to make alot of messes like just getting into everything ruining things. I feel like I’m losing my mind my oldest is 4 years old and I have 3 year old and 1 in a half year old it’s Stressful as I’m constantly cleaning because they always makes a mess with nearly everything is this normal? My messages are open for advice.

21 Likes

I use to stress about the messes all the time I use to follow behind them and clean up are ask them not to bring all the toys out of the bedrooms …I couldn’t even relax until it was all picked up …but now that they are a little older and not playing as much I realized I wish I just enjoyed those little moments even the messes with them … just pick up before bed or sing the clean up song with them as they are cleaning up… I know it’s hard but it’s only for a little while …time does go by fast :pleading_face:

1 Like

Very normal. I have just been working on cleaning skills with my toddler. She always helps me do chores and pick up it’s not perfect and she still makes messes but it helps

This is very normal. They are all old enough to start learning how to clean up. You can definitely make it fun, say things like “let’s see how fast we can pick up our books” or whatever. When they pick their stuff up remember that it doesn’t have to be perfect and let them know they are doing a great job.

Absolutely lol. Partly because they don’t understand why we don’t want to make messes, but also because it’s how they learn about stuff. There’s all kinds of valuable info in those messes – textures, how things react to different things, gravity, etc. I have my limits, but whenever I can manage it I try to let it happen. It’s good for them, even though it’s inconvenient and can be frustrating.

1 Like

Yes it is. Try the clean up song on YouTube. Helps alot to get them involved in helping clean…not always but often :sweat_smile:

Totally normal. I would start the “clean up” song and start teaching them now how to pick up. I did it twice a day when my kids were little. Once before lunch and once before dinner

Making messes is a part of learning. Clean up should also be apart of their learning!

It’s in their job description. Sorry :disappointed:. As a tidy person I struggled with this myself. We made clean up a game for the kids to help before bedtime so we could wake up fresh.

3 Likes

It isn’t going to end until they all move out

2 Likes

Normal. The less you have expectations on cleanliness, the easier it’ll be for you. You will be cleaning up after messy little hurricanes for a while. Do what’s really important but give some leeway for you all so you aren’t stressing. If you have a partner, have them pitch in on upkeep.

1 Like

Is this a rhetorical question?? The answer is YES!

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: good lord. Of course it’s normal.

Yes. Teach them that they can’t move on to something until the first mess is clean.

3 and 4 years old are old enough to help you clean up the messes. Just give them some paper towels or a cleaning cloth and let them work along side you. It will be exasperating to start with, but should help them learn the consequences.

2 Likes

Children learn best when playing and making messes. Children are supposed to push boundaries, get dirty and be wild. It’s how their brains and bodies develop. Please don’t squash this!

3 Likes

What were you expecting?
Very normal

Definitely normal. My 4 yr old is a walking natural disaster with the messes she makes and the refuses to clean up. She can make a mess out of anything and everything

20 years in, it doesn’t get any better. Lol. Welcome to Parenthood

1 Like

Yes, just teach them to clean it up when they’re done. Cube bins are good toddler teaching organizers

Hahha their like hurricanes i finf myself luxing three times a day just to find crumbs all over fhe floor before bed i find cleaning makes them more likely to tip all their toys out :rofl::rofl:

It’s absolutely not at all normal. God NO, get them evaluated immediately. Seriously. This should be taken very seriously. Keep us updated. :pray:

20 Likes

You could also offer a snack or read a book after they put things away. Bribery can be a good thing.

We had 4 kids and I actually designated a kitchen drawer/area for them. I bought a bunch of Tupperware and kitchen plastic spoons etc for them to play with. They would open that drawer and play in the kitchen while I cleaned and cooked and it kept them busy instead of destroying the actual kitchen.

But yea… they’re all 8 and older now and STILL destroy the house.

It happens to all of us unless you act like a dictator. I had a home that an enclosed breezeway. It was next to kitchen and had washer and dryer in this elongated sunny room. I put their toys in it and a gate at the doorway. I could do a multitude of things while they played within sight and could make lots of messes. Saved from toys being everywhere.

1 Like

I just hope you don’t yell at them…

Absolutely normal !!!
You need to teach them to pick up after themselves and after they finish playing.

Some tips that might help you are 
  1. Have specific areas where they can play , so the mess will be mostly in just one area of your place .

2. Toy that is not pick up is a toy that you will put away and they will not play with it for a period of time .

3. If they like to have toys while watching tv allow them to only have 1 , they can change it but they can’t have a second One.

4. Ask them to put their dirty clothes on the laundry basket ( you can even teach them how to separate by colors when you are doing laundry.

5. Trash goes on the trash can not the floor .

Little stuff like that , they might not get it at firts but they will if you are consistent

have you never been around kids until you had your own? they have to be shown how to pick up after themselves. it’s all a part of learning

1 Like

Perfectly normal but need to taught to tidy up

Ummmm………yes. This is kid life. Messes aren’t just allocated in the toddler years. They will always make messes sometimes. Just wait for teen years. Their bedroom just might drive you crazy!

Umm had you even seen or heard of a child before deciding to have 3? :rofl:

1 Like

Normal,normal, normal, that’s how they learn

Twos, threes, sometimes fours like helping clean, so take advantage of it while you can. They can spray and dust low furniture, use some vacuums or Dustbusters, fold hand towels and washcloths, put clothes in the washer or dryer, put trash in the trash bin, put clothes in drawers, bins or shelves they can reach, dry non-breakable dishes, put non-breakable dishes, cups, silverware in the sink or dishwasher, pull up a comforter and place a pillow to make their beds, set the table, fetch or hand you diapers and wipes, for example.

Make chore charts & award gold stars or other stickers on completion. Chores will get more involved the older they get until you switch to an allowance when stickers no longer are enough of an incentive. For all or a majority of gold stars for the day or week, they get a prize. Extra screen time, getting to pick one thing for dinner, a cookie, a foot rub, a bubble bath—whatever works for you.

You can also add stars for brushing teeth, getting dressed without a fuss, getting along with each other like not hitting anyone all day or not grabbing toys from someone without asking permission, taking a bath and keeping the floor dry, getting in bed without fussing—any behavior you want to encourage.

Use simple organizing tools like labeled shelves, bins, drawers: use words and pictures to show where to put shirts, pants, underwear, socks, LEGOs, dolls, coloring books and crayons, toy cars and trucks on the separate bins/baskets/boxes for example. Cover cardboard boxes with wrapping paper or something else colorful to coordinate with the room decor if you want.

If they get out a new group/bin/box of toys, the old ones have to be put away. If not, there is a consequence. There are some clean up songs but you can use any music to have the kids put everything away before dinner or bed time. Everything has to be picked up by the end of the song.

I donate to various causes that sell my name to others. Hence, I get a ton of address labels sent to me. I cut the colorful parts out & use those as award stickers for the chore chart or as an immediate reward. Free & kids just want a sticker, doesn’t matter what the image is.

Also, lower your standards of neatness. If you have kids, your home will be messy. Put valuables away where they can’t reach or get into them. Child proof the house. Just enjoy your kids while they’re young.

I keep the house neater by keeping my grandkids out—we go to parks, playgrounds, the library, the grocery store, a museum, plant flowers, throw a ball or a balloon outside, go to indoor pools and water parks, etc.

YES. They are learning. Teach them how to clean up. Make it fun. Use the clean up song, or set a timer and make it a race.

1 Like

Uummm yes, that’s standard operating procedures for that age, and most age’s under 18. It differs as they get older.
Have them help clean up the mess they make.

1 Like

I wish it wasn’t normal lol. I know how you feel losing your mind. Enjoy the mess. They’re only young once and though it doesn’t feel like it now, you’ll miss the messes. Sending you hugs and love. It’ll get easier in some ways and harder in others. Welcome to the sh!t show! Lol

Omg my 5 year old and 2 year old destroy the house within minutes dude. I mean granted they always clean up when directed (more then once of course lol) but really it’s insane. Everything they do has to be messy :rofl: I couldn’t handle 3 little messes right now so props to you girl, you’ll survive! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

& just fyi, they never grow out of it! I have a 17,16,11 and they are still like tornadoes. Just breathe momma, also, they will clean their mess up……you only have to ask 4363892836 times :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I’m just sorry no one prepared you for this :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: but I kind it a little funny you’re just now realizing this at kid #3​:joy:

3 Likes

It’s normal :100: when mine were that age they picked up before bed every night, used them clean up song, I also had a reward chart, if they got stickers for the entire week, they got ice cream, candy, park, bubbles, ect… stuff I was going to do with and for them anyway… inexpensive but worked very well. It helped them visualize. The chart was simple like cleaning toys up, washing hands after potting, before eating, flush the toilet, brushing teeth, handing towels after bath… just a reward system for them doing basic things

Yep and it doesn’t get better even when they get older :joy:

It doesn’t get much better either. Better teach then now to clean up behind themselves or it will never stop

Baby gates. That is all. Sincerely a mom of 4 under 4 :sweat_smile:

Babies, toddlers , pre teens , teenagers and adult kids always mess :laughing:

:joy::joy: umm yeah very normal. You as the parent are suppose to teach them how to clean up after themselves. If you want them to help them you teach them how. Also if you want them to stop ruining things then you set boundaries and teach them discipline. Watch some supernanny episodes they’re on YouTube

Yuppp. Did dishes last night and my daughter trashed our entire living room while I was busy. It was just picked up/cleaned prior to me walking away to do dishes real quick so yes- expect lots of messes for many years to come.

Sorry to say totally normally .

I tell my daughter her house won’t be clean until the kids move out. Let them make a mess. Show them how to clean up after. It keeps them busy

Yes it’s normal. They are exploring their world.

Kinda depends how your raising them ? If you have always been pretty tidy and all of a sudden the kids are being really messy they might be going through something

But if your parenting like it doesn’t matter then they will make all the mess in the world

Megan Mackerley wait til they start collage, come home with piles of washing and need them done right away, or when they come home from college end of year with as much stuff that would pack your hallway and their bedrooms would be like a bomb struck them, trying on clothes for a night out leaving one lot on the floor while they try one set after another and the bed would be covered in make up stuff fake tan etc etc etc, when they are little it’s way easier lol believe me.