If you are a single mom, what do you do for Mother's Day?

So, Mother’s Day is coming up. I don’t think my husband is going to remember, and I don’t think it’s my job to constantly remind him of all the important days in a year. So I guess I’m preparing to celebrate myself without him. Single moms, what do you do on mother’s day? Because I’m at a loss for what I’m going to do if he forgets.

14 Likes

You celebrate it with your kids. Don’t rely on him to make Mother’s Day special

15 Likes

When i was single mom & even now if hes working, ill take me & the kids out to breakfast or lunch! Go for a walk, play outside, have couple drinks lol! I tell my kids todays mommys day & they get all excited to try & bring me stuff if i want a snack or drink😂

11 Likes

It’s just a day, we are the ones that give it meaning.

Spend the day with your mother, or don’t

Spend the day with your kids, or don’t

Spend the day in self care, or don’t

Acknowledge the day, or don’t.

Don’t let the value other people place in something affect how you see anything.

But also, in case you need to hear it this weekend, you’re a great mom! You deserve to be recognized and appreciated.

Have a wonderful day no matter how you choose to spend it

15 Likes

Personally if it were me I would just be like ‘hey I’m heading out’ and go do all the things I love to do. Enjoy lunch, go to some stores, heck get a hotel room and take a nap lol. Happy Mothers Day!

13 Likes

This is my first mother’s day as a widow…I’ll probably plant flowers near the ones he planted for me last mother’s day. I just hope the ones he planted bloom. That would ease my heart a little

9 Likes

I wish people would stop saying “it’s just a day”.
It’s not. It’s important. More important than a birthday (all you did was be born and you had nothing to do with that).
Being a mom is the hardest but most fulfilling job I’ve ever had. I put a LOT of effort into being a good mom. It’s so much work. I hustle for my family every single day and don’t get much time off. And even when I do take time off, I’m always on call. I’m always thinking about my kids. Yesterday today and tomorrow.
And my body??? That thing went through hell to nurture grow and birth those kids.
So no, it’s not just a day and I don’t think it’s too much to ask for one day to be truly whole heartedly acknowledged for what it takes to be a mom.
I’m a single mom and unfortunately I work every mothers Day because at my restaurant it’s one of the busiest days of the year. My kids dad gets a gift for me from the younger kids every year and I expect my teens to not give me grief and clean up and be helpful.
I try and make all the mommas I know and love feel special on that day and let them know how amazing they are.
I’m sorry your husband is a dingbat when it comes to remembering but there’s no shame in telling him that it’s an IMPORTANT day to you and that you expect him to step up and especially TEACH your kids to show you some extra love on that day. A sweet homemade card or a meal is all it take when they’re little.

Plan something that he can come to if he chooses. There is a pottery place by me that u can paint pottery n pick it up a week later. Or a nature hike, picnic. What I have done is take my daughter to the costume jewelry department at Kohls and let her buy me something. I don’t look at what she pics out, and hand her my card to pat for it. Slef love is important. Don’t be afraid to buy yourself flowers.

Mother’s Day is not your husband’s responsibility. It is your children’s responsibility (unless your children are too young.).

I spend his money buying flowers for other moms, when he forgets. Which is a lot. Lol. I’ve learned not to make Mother’s Day about him. But my teenage son is always down to come out of his room and do something special with me. Spending time with the child I created is worth its weight in gold.

1 Like

Lower your expectations that the day has to be grand and just do what you like with or without the kids. You can’t get your feelings hurt if you don’t amp them up so much.

It’s not wives day, it’s mother’s day. If you don’t have a mother to shower with love, shower yourself with love. Do whatever you want.

3 Likes

I don’t need any person especially man to make me feel anything. Stop living life for others. Embrace yourself everyday of the year

6 Likes

Uh im not a single mom but it’s just a day. It’s Sunday so we will spend it like every other Sunday because days like today just make people feel bad. We don’t need a day to know we’re special. We’re moms. The badest most fearless creatures on earth…. Every day!

6 Likes

Tell him you made dinner reservations…

Last year I took my girls out to breakfast, my ex husband and my brother both bought me flowers,my kids all had sweet sentimental hand made gifts. This year we are having pictures done at the park and I’ve also invited my mama and my brother. I know my ex and my youngest have something planned as he’s picked her up twice this week to go do secret things. In all honesty I think mothers day is about enjoying what you like. Wether it’s going out, getting some alone time, pampering yourself, just plan to treat yourself with or without the children. Moms are special, treat yourself like it. If you’re really hoping your husband will do something communicate that clearly. Don’t think of it as a reminder but set clear expectations.

1 Like

I’ve gone to the beach, baseball game, go for a day long road trip to wherever, movies…it was me, my mom and my boys. This year, my hubby is going to cook and make the kids clean up. Lol. So we’ll see how successful that is but lil girl and I are not feeling well so we’re just gonna hang out. Maybe watch some Disney movies together.

I’m a mother everyday lol I spend it just like I do any other day… being a mother. :heart:

1 Like

Well when I was a single mom (thankfully not anymore!) I celebrated it by going to spend the day with my mom and my sister. After i had a personal little breakfast, just the 2 of us of course. Everyone is a mother in my immediate family so I couldn’t ask for better company.

my daughters father gets her weekends. but he’s bringing her back a little earlier so i can spend more time with her. the last couple years my mom has taken her to get me a gift and a card. we plan on spending the day outside crafting🤍

Putting yourself in the same category if a single mom vs your hubby just forgetting will never be in the same arena- stop with the I’m single bc my hubby don’t care bs - become a real single mom n you’d know we don’t get a Mother’s Day bc we still taking care of these kids- we CANNOT run away and leave them with the forgetful hubby

1 Like

It’s just a day over here.
I have three boys. The youngest made a handprint flow in school… the older two will give me hug and we will love on with our day.
We bought cards for the important women in their lives.
I do have to mow the lawn tomorrow though.

I do what i always do, its just another day. We should be celebrated daily not yearly. My kids don’t love me more on mothers day. They show they love me every day. But thats Just my feelings.

1 Like

I feel like Mother’s Day is about celebrating your mother. And your husband should celebrate his. It’s his job to teach your children how to celebrate their mother (you) just as it’s your job to teach them how to celebrate him on Father’s Day.

Try being a single mom who doesn’t speak to their own mom. Double Mother’s Day whammy. I’m doing laundry tomorrow … maybe mow. The weather is supposed to be nice.

2 Likes

Get yourself a lovely gift, sit back and relax and love yourself. You deserve it!

Teach your kids how to celebrate you how you would like to be celebrated. Do all your favorite things, buy yourself flowers, pamper yourself :nail_care:t2:

I haven’t done anything haven’t been able to yet for me. And nobody else has in awhile.

Rapids has free moms on mothers day weekend with purchase of kid ticket. I did it every year for 4 years that I was a single mom! Me and my kid had best time!!!

I plan a day with my daughter doing things I want to do. Now that she’s older cooks for me and has always had a gift of some sort to give me.

As Miley Cyrus said, I can buy myself flowers

I’d come up with a list of chores you want done around the house. Give it to him, go buy myself some flowers and take me and the kids out to lunch. Maybe get some ice cream after.

I ordered a gobble brunch box and told him I wanted breakfast made for me

Nothing wrong with setting them (hubby and younger kids) up for success in spoiling me :heart:

Just like my birthday, mother day, Easter ect… Just like any other day . Nothing special.

1 Like

Tell him you would like something special done. They can’t read our minds and if we want something gotta tell them

Just enjoyed the day with my kids!

Do something fun with kids cause without them we all wouldn’t be moms

Just spend the day with your kiddos. Have a fun day.

Plop the kids on his lap and say today is my day off and plan a spa day. Mani/Pedi and massage

Nothing really its just another day to me

Take yourself out for brunch. Take yourself to a movie. Take yourself to the park and have a picnic with wine and fancy cheeses. If we wait for people who clearly don’t care about making us feel appreciated to show that they do, we will always be disappointed.

2 Likes

I plan to do what I want - not blame my husband for not planning the most special day.

1 Like

Have a picnic somewhere, we used to spend a day on the coast that’s always fun too

I’m going sit at el paso and get drunk as hell. I definitely deserve that​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Take kids to amusement park

We went out to eat or to the beach

Do what you want anything you want

I don’t do anything. It feels silly to force a day to be about me, same as my birthday. I just don’t really do anything or acknowledge it. My daughter is too young to get it or do a thing on her own for it, so anything I would do would be forcing it. And there obviously isn’t anyone else, so it’s just another Sunday, no big deal. I worked last year :man_shrugging:

When I was single I did nothing.
In a relationship, I do nothing lol

He didn’t forget . he isn’t taking the time to bother to remember.

If you’re a single mom, how do you have a husband?

1 Like

First of all what’s up with the unnecessary lies, if you are a single mom, how did the husband dropped in?
Secondly he’s not your child you’re not his mother for him to remember mother’s day as it it relates to you.

We do nothing lol. I’m a single mom of 3 boys Mother’s Day is just another day.

He’s not your child ,he’s your husband…my husband always says he wants to do something special for me and I tell him I’m your wife not your mother

I used to take my son out to lunch. We’ll play video games together and generally not leave the house since I’m not someone who enjoys a lot of socializing. Just do the things that make you happy, you don’t need to do something huge or anything.

I do nothing. I do the same as any day which is be at home with the kiddos. Today I’ll probably work in the yard with the kiddos when church is over.

1 Like

I ask my kids what they would like to do. My girls wanted to get their nails done, so that’s what we’re doing and im getting a pedi. If your kid(s) are too young to decide, you decide what YOU wanna do with them.

Before I met my fiance, I always just spent the day with my son and my grandmother. Would go grab brunch, and then take my son to the park.

It’s a normal Sunday. We’re doing laundry for the week, changing beds, prepping lunches for the week.

What do you care if your husband acknowledges his mother? Stop being so controlling