I was fired for needing to use the bathroom...advice?

I just need to vent because this hole place I worked at just fired me for “insubordination” at 31 weeks pregnant for wanting bathroom breaks at work. Yesterday I was ignored after calling multiple times over a walkie talkie to go to the bathroom. So today I said “I don’t want to be put in that room unless I’m given bathroom breaks” I don’t have any actual proof to fight it or anything.

13 Likes

Are you living in an at will state? Not saying you don’t have a case and I would contact an attorney. But if it is at will they can get rid of you for any reason at anytime

1 Like

That’s childcare for you, they don’t want to give you maternity leave I bet. Get a lawyer!! Call people you have rights!

File a complaint with the EEOC, contact the state labor board and health department as well as a lawyer.

4 Likes

So i recently went thru this at work and they were wanting me to get a letter from my OB (I’ll be 32 weeks on Thursday) saying I need to go to the bathroom more than twice in a work day. I did some quick research and it’s actually against OSHA rules and regulations to limit bathroom breaks to ANYONE, not just pregnant women. The only downside is that if you don’t have proof that that’s why they fired you, I don’t see much of a case sadly. Especially if you’re in a “at will” state where all they have to do is say you were no longer needed. In other words they can fire you just because

2 Likes

Ask them for a paper stating why you were fired

Contact a lawyer,equal opportunity and state labor depth. There are laws to protect to you

Discrimination check the labour laws

Move on and find a better job. The Lord will provide. Sometimes we don’t have to fight everything we face in life. Just let it go

3 Likes

Most state’s pregnant women are in a protected class, meaning you need 3 write ups for the same thing to be fired and not collect unemployment.

Was fired while pregnant during the pandemic. Was never written up or given a warning or anything. I collected unemployment from the company for almost 2 years, and there is an investigation pending, because I’m claiming they fired me because of pregnancy.
Pretty funny how they fired me (a manager) the day after I told them I was pregnant officially and due around our companies inventory.

7 Likes

Contact a lawyer IMMEDIATELY

2 Likes

Hella lawsuit. Contact a lawyer asap.

Look up FLSA. I agree you should talk to a lawyer but you can also go to the federal and local department of labor websites and file a complaint for FLSA violation as well as contact the EEOC to file a complaint for gender based discrimination due to pregnancy.

If you live in the state of MD which is a right to work state. The company would need to have 3 legitimate write ups with your signature to legally fire you. However if that didn’t happen you would have the right to file for unemployment check your state laws and while looking for another job you could at least be earning something.

I wouldn’t get a lawyer unless that lawyer can get some type of compensation that would cover that cost plus what you would have lost. I would go the unemployment route and look for another job. If you can depending on where you live a lawyer may be the route but that will cost some money

Umm they cannot do that! First get a paper with their signature stating you were fired and for what! Then take it to the top class if they have one, take it to them and tell them it’s discrimination and get a lawyer!

Get a lawyer. Illegal even not pregnant