I feel selfish for not wanting to breastfeed my second: Advice?

Would just pumping and bottle feeding be better? Could give you a bit more space to go back to work and also get baby the breast milk that you want them to have. Idk just a thought

Stopped breastfeeding if you no longer want too! I breastfed my kids only four months! We both didn’t enjoyed, plus them having teeth at 4 months was like your done!

Taking care of your mental health is never selfish. Your children need you to thrive so they can!

2 Likes

Just do formula. It’s not really a big deal. Formula fed babies are just as healthy.

Fed is best! You do what is best for your mental health mama. The baby will be happy as long as it’s fed! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I breastfed my first baby for 18 months and I formula fed my second baby from the day she was born. You have to realize you are a person before you are a mother and if it is taking a toll on your mental health you need to make sure you are okay before you can take care of your babies that is why I decided to formula feed my second child. Fed is best it doesn’t matter whether it’s formula or breast milk do whatever you feel like you need to do

Not selfish at all. Do what works for your family

1 Like

It is your choice and do whatever is right for you. I know even 6 weeks of breastfeeding is beneficial and possibly weening then could work if you truly feel you need to for a period of time. That’s what I did with my 4th and 5th child.

1 Like

It’s your body, your mental health, your sore breasts, and your ability to parent. If you’re done breastfeeding for now, that’s okay. Fed babies are the best babies. You feeding your children, breast or bottle, makes you the best mother you can be. Anyone who tells you different can face my momma bear wrath.

3 Likes

Maybe you can try just pumping? I didn’t breastfeed my oldest and tried with my second but it was hard mentally and physically since I couldn’t produce enough. I think you should do what you feel is best, not only for your baby, but for yourself and your mental stability.

FED is best, do what you need to !

Read back your post, but this time read it as though it were your best friend or sister who wrote it. What would you say to her? What advice would you give? Us women sometimes hold ourselves to impossible standards so give yourself the same grace you would give someone you love <3

3 Likes

You do what feels right for you… No one else… I bottle fed my 2 its v much a personal choice x

1 Like

Mama, your mental health is sooooooo important! You have done an amazing job, its time to be ok with saying no! You ARE doing an amazing job your baby will be ok

1 Like

Fed is best.
Yes breastfeeding is liquid gold and formula is awful blah blah blah.
Listen, my son is the oldest boy of our group of friends. He was only breastfed for like 5 weeks, I wasn’t producing anything. We had supplemented with formula up until then because he needed to eat. One after our son was breastfed until like 10 months. One was only breastfed for a couple months, one was breastfed up to a year.
Out of all the boys in our group YOU CANNOT TELL WHO IS BF OR FF.
They all get sick, they all are different developmentally, they do not care whose mommy fed who, and how.
Your mental health is so important

No you’re not! Fed is best! 2 kids, didnt even attempt to breastfeed. Between my meds n I just had zero interest. Both kids turned out just fine.

2 Likes

I understand how you feel. It’s a lot. I have a 2.5 yo and a 6 week old. My advice would be to wean yours and give yourself a break while pregnant. Make your decision once you have the new baby.

2 Likes

I tried breastfeeding my daughter and it got too stressful. So formula it was. Best decision I ever made! She’s now 99% percentile for height, and 70% for weight! She’s 8 months and wears 18 months clothes. Clearly she’s not hurting but thriving and so is momma. It made me be a better momma! Do what you gotta do. I promise fed is best and your baby will be just fine! Both of my kids are super healthy and never get sick. Both formula fed. :woman_shrugging:t3: just sayin! Breathe momma and do you. :heart::heart:

Nope, not at all. I pumped for my son for just under a year and let me tell you, I never want to have that experience again. It affected me physically and mentally and not in a positive way. I don’t plan on having any other children but if it happens, that baby will definitely be formula-fed. A fed (in any form) baby and a happy, healthy, stable mommy or what’s best.

I have 3 boys most recently a newborn . I have pumped and formula fed . My first 2 never latched right and I wasn’t stressing my self out . So I just pump and do formula . Both my oldest loved helping feed now both little brothers and my 6 year also enjoyed being able to help by giving his brother a bottle . It’s all your choice . But I have 3 healthy formula boys. I also didn’t produce enough and when they were 3 months I stopped all together

1 Like

2 is a good age 2 start wiening her off. Uv done great this long so many can’t even do that 4 whatever reason. Try pumping and adding the milk 2 a cow’s milk cup 2 start wiening the toddler. Fed is best really as far as the baby goes. If u choose 2 start pumping 4 the toddler any stored milk can go into the babies bottle so atleast they are getting some extra nutrients and a boost 2 the immune system. Do what’s best 4 u though as long as baby is fed u shouldn’t feel bad. In order 2 help others u 1st have 2 take care of u.

1st kid never latched so bottle, 2nd never let go of the boob 18mths (no bottle, no pacifier) , 3rd kid bottle!!! Fed is best and keeping your sanity is real!!!

I didn’t breast feed mine at all… and she’s super healthy and happy. And she’s fed!!

2 Likes

I formula fed 4 kids do what makes u happy it’s no one’s choice but yours fed is best

1 Like

Not selfish. Do what’s right for you and your family. I felt the same way with breast feeding. I got sick and I ended up telling me son I had owies on my boobs and he was weaned so easily

The most important part of the breast milk truly comes from what you produce that first week after birth. The colostrum. If you are looking for a compromise that makes your heart feel like it’s the right choice you can breast feed that first week ish then once the true milk comes in switch to formula and it might help your toddler naturally ween herself off as well.

I would probably do whichever would keep my stress level down. You have a huge transition coming no matter what choice you make. And it will be much easier the less stressed you are :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Fed is best. You do you. If you want to breast feed one hour and bottle the next then do it. Don’t beat yourself up about it

1 Like

I had twins. My girl was underweight so I didn’t know it but in the nursery at the hospital they were supplementing with formula. She would not breastfeed after that. I only got 4 days bonding with her. But her twin brother 2 years. I do understand how you feel thiugh. It’s a full time commitment. But now they are 28 and Every one of my children are different and they are all healthy. Oldest now 33 got 6 weeks only then back to work. You do what makes you feel right. Baby will always love you xoxo

I chose NOT to breastfed either of my kids…for so many reasons. Don’t feel bad as long as you’re feeding your child…thats all that matters! #fedisbest

2 Likes

No reason to feel guilty. You may also find that your 2 year old decides to eean as your milk changes during pregnancy. May want to consider breast feeding trial with new baby as the early milk is most beneficial and each baby is different in their nursing style. As long as you are feeding your baby. However you choose to do it you are making the best decision for your family.

I only nursed for a year all 3 of mine

It is not selfish at all! There’s too much pressure on moms to only breastfeed. As long as your baby is fed that’s all that matters. If it will effect your mental health in a negative way then it is not worth putting yourself through when there’s another option just as great for your baby! You are not selfish at all, you being so concerned about it just means you’re a loving mama. Keep yourself happy too, you matter too :heart::heart::heart:

Fed is best! If your mental health is declining, there’s no reason to make it worse by doing something you don’t want to.

Breast fed for 9 months for my second baby.n3rd baby came along and i couldnt do it again i suffered physically cause my breast were so big i got back problems to this day because of them.

FED IS BEST. Don’t matter breast milk or formula. Don’t let anyone pressure u either way. I tried 2 breastfeed my 1st, didn’t make it 6 weeks and I dried up. My 2nd is almost 2 and we still breastfeed b4 bed. So my 1st was on formula mostly. They r BOTH HEALTHY. no concerns. They r both happy. Energetic and just everything a kid shud be. Either choice is the right choice.

I guarantee, if you’re not enjoying breastfeeding, neither is baby. Don’t do it if you don’t want to do it. They’re YOUR boobs.

1 Like

Check out this group: Breastfeeding Aversion and Agitation Awareness

I breastfed my son till her was 10 months old. I breastfed my daughter till she was 3 months old. My son is 3 years old and doesn’t sit still so for me just getting through the 3 months was hard plus I found out my daughter has reflux. I miss breastfeeding and wish I did it longer but, she’s a happy and healthy 7 month old.

Fed is always best. See how you feel closer to your due date. You might change your mind or you might not. It’s up to you.

Do what you need/feel the baby will be fine either way

I know some women that breast fed for six years??? Which was ridiculous to me, but each their own

I felt the same way when my kids were born less than 18 months apart. I suggest you wean your first child now & still breastfeed your second child at least for a while to give it your immunities. Bottle feeding was not easier than breastfeeding for me & it was more expensive. But know that there is no wrong decision as long as it is done in love.

1 Like

Two years old is time to stop. She’s very capable of drinking from a cup… the new baby will do just fine on a bottle.

1 Like

Just find a way to bond when you are there. God’s got this. We have goat cow and man made milk He made them all. He provided so will you.

1 Like

Y’all need to watch Laura Clerey. She talks about this a lot

Do not feel guilty As long as ur child is fed it shouldnt matter. I just pumped breast milk for first couple of months aswell as formula. with all 3 of mine so they still got some of the good stuff. Plus i had to return to work so it made it easier they already knew bottle feeding. Its just not something i felt i had to do. It was a mental thing for me too i didnt want super clingy kids and i wanted my body back felt too touched out already. Wanted dad to be able to do feeds also. I plan to do the same with number 4 due nov. All kids are happy and healthy. :slight_smile:

Just remember a fed baby is best. Doesn’t matter if breast or formula. Don’t stress yourself, do what’s best for your mental health. :purple_heart::blush:

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I feel selfish for not wanting to breastfeed my second: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

If it affects your mental health then give the baby formula. My son was formula fed and he is big, happy and healthy

1 Like

Nope. Food is food. I was purely a formula baby as was my oldest… And we are perfectly fine…

You do what you feel is best for you and baby. As long as the baby is healthy it shouldn’t matter to anyone else. My daughter was formula fed and was super healthy.

You do what feel is right momma!! Baby needs a happy momma and if that means mom works and gives formula then so be it!! Do whatever is best for you family!!

6 Likes

Fed is best momma :two_hearts: you have to take care of YOU as well

2 Likes

Fed is best. As long as your baby is happy why does it matter :purple_heart:

2 Likes

You do you Momma!! As long as your baby is fed that is all that matters!! :heart::heart:

1 Like

I never breastfed either one of mine and I regret it

Fed is best!!! You do you momma!

1 Like

Never let anyone else tell you what’s right You do what’s best for you! I was very young when I had both of my daughters and I exclusively formula fed and they’re both happy healthy teenagers now.

In the grand scheme of things 1-2 years is not long at all. It’ll fly by. Then you’ll have the rest of your adult life for those other things. As long as you don’t feel like you’ll regret it, no problem, but do think hard about it. :blush:

No mama, you gotta take care of you. I breastfed my daughter all throughout my pregnancy with my 3rd and a month before she turned 2. I was soooooo done. My mental health just couldn’t take the thoughts of starting that all over again. So I formula fed my 3rd. I told my daughter my milk wasn’t good anymore and she couldn’t have it anymore, I weaned her off kinda slowly then just stopped it cold turkey. You gotta take care of you, to take care of your babies. Don’t feel guilty. They’ll still love you either way :heart:

I never breastfed either of mine due to having severe mastitis. But I want really thinking about doing it anyways. My kids are 7 & 11 and super healthy happy… they always say bf is best but my niece is bf her baby right now and it has made her jaundice 10xa worse. Her dr has advised her to formula feed to help jump start her liver! So do what’s best for you mama!!! Those babies need a happy healthy mama first & foremost

1 Like

Your mental state is most important. If you’re unhappy breast feeding the baby will notice so then you’re both unhappy. Plus daddy can take over feedings sometimes if they’re using a bottle!

I would just pump. I can’t get my baby to latch yo save my life and I was seriously having panic attacks about it daily. My doctor said as long as the baby gains and eats its fine. I wanted to do breast milk, but breast feeding just doesn’t work for me. So I pump, and supplement with formula when I need to and my son is healthy as can be and gaining weight like he’s supposed to no problems

2 Likes

It’s up to you but breastfeeding even for the first 6 weeks is so good for the baby. You could try to use a bottle as well early on so baby gets used to it. And then would be easier to wean. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Food is food. Best advice i was ever given was by a medical professional and she said of course breast milk is best for the baby but ifs not always the best choice she told me you have to do what works for you as a parent because a baby feeling all your stress and anxiety etc a fed happy baby with a fed happy stress free mum is better then a mum who is stessed out to the max and stretched out time wise etc with a fed baby its the parents choice what will work best for you if its formula then go for it!

My first was breastfed for 6months unfortunately my milk dried up and my second (and last) was breast fed till he was 3 months old and my god i was exhausted all the time pale as a ghost all the time bags that could pass for storm clouds and i was constantly feeding him but could never keep up so we changed to formula :slight_smile:

It’s definitely okay not to breastfeed. Baby #2 will be just fine with formula. Don’t listen to the naysayers.

I wasn’t able to produce breast milk at all. Both of mine were bottle fed and both are perfectly fine. You do you and do whatever is comfortable for you. What anyone else has to say does not matter.

2 Likes

I formula fed because of medication I was on during my pregnancies and didn’t want them to have it being breast fed as well and they turned out fine. You do what you need to do for the baby, yourself and your family. :heartpulse:

Feed your second 1 breast milk as its so good for them when they are first born even is its just a small amount of time . Then if you want gradually move them onto formula. Then cows milk once the have turned 1.

Bottom line is always to do what’s best for you, your family, and your lifestyle. Since you do produce I suggest pumping at the very least for the first month so the baby gets the immune boost, but if you will be putting your kids into childcare, or with a nanny, or just juggling schedules so each parent shares the load, you’ll probably fare better with formula. My babies were formula fed, not by choice but lack of production. Can’t tell by looking at them today! It’s more than just being about nutrition. Sanity certainly needs to play a role.

1 Like

I would not produce enough pumping or breastfeeding so I always had to supplement so a couple months into it I switched to formula and it was the best thing for my son and myself in a few different aspects of life. I would like to think in your situation maybe pump and freeze what you can for the baby your expecting since you are producing now and do formula when you run out of that freezer stock. But don’t let anyone let you feel like a failure for choosing what is best for you and your family.

Fed is best. I’m physically unable to breast feed bc or thyroid issues and i carried a lot of guilt with my first. For my 2nd i didn’t even attempt and it was the best decision. You don’t look at kids in kindergarten and say “oh i bet they had breast milk”. Don’t let people pressure you one way or the other!!! Do what is best for your family

8 Likes

I formula fed after breastfeeding and my two are healthy and smart. No physical or mental differences at all.

Both my children were formula fed without any problems, neither hardly ever sick. You do what is best for you momma as long as the baby is fed, happy and healthy do not feel guilty, babies won’t remember how you fed them but they will remember a happy and healthy momma :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I only read the beginning question. NO you are not selfish for choosing not to breastfeed. we have options these days and we aren’t gonna go to he’ll for using those options. breastfeeding make me seriously depressed. my 1st born was exclusively pumped for and when I stopped my depression released me quite a bit. my 2nd born latched like a champ! but everything he woke I felt so much anxiety and dread. I didn’t want to be near my baby. I chose to formula feed him and I got my bond back with my baby. you need to do what you think is best mama. as long as they’re being fed and mom and baby are happy then there shouldn’t be an issue

1 Like

If it was me I would stop with the 2 year old and give myself a break until the baby is born. With the new baby I would try to breastfeed for at least the first few months up to 6 months. That’s just me though. All that matters in the end is the baby is fed and happy

If it were me I would take a break from your two year old so you can be ready to breastfeed your new baby. Breastmilk is extremely important for the growth of your new little one. Formula Just isn’t the same. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

If you want an in between, you can pump and bottle feed, that way you can work and not have to stay at home, but ultimately it’s up to you. If you’re stressed and not wanting to nurse, your milk supply could go down.

Absolutely not selfish. Part of taking care of your baby is taking care of yourself. If you like it’s too much mentally to breastfeed than do formula. Or supplement with formula and only breastfeed in the morning or at night. Whatever works for yiu

Just feed your baby❤️ that’s all that matters.

I would start to wean the two year old now, she can switch to a bottle. If you let her continue it might only get harder for her to give up breastfeeding as she gets older. I would breast feed the new one at least a month or so, but thats me. He/she will be fine if you go right to formula. Enjoy!

As long as your babies are eating, you’re good. Take care of yourself. They need a happy healthy mommy!

I did both from day one. Breast fed in the early morning, early dinner & before bed. Bottles in between. Worked great for me and had bonding time and didn’t stress me out. If I was busy any of those times I just bottle fed her and pumped and froze milk for another time.

It’s ok to wean the two year old also. It’s mostly for comfort at that age. Find other ways to cuddle etc with out giving her a breast for a pacifier. That way you can have a break before the next baby is born and have a routine set up for the first one.

I would wean the 2yo and give yourself a break for a bit until baby is born. The tiny will need it more than your 2yo does now. I have also heard that you can develop nursing aversion when pregnant- so if you wean now and give yourself a break you may feel better about it by the time baby comes. In the end do whatever you need to do to be healthy and happy but every day of breastfeeding is a gift to the baby-definitely a sacrifice for Mommas though. I nursed my oldest until he was 3yo and my youngest is almost a year old now and nursing strong. I am ready for my body back too Momma. Solidarity!

I Bottle feed my 4 Children I just didn’t like breast feeding …My DR. Told me not to worry about it cause if your not relaxed an comfortable the baby will sense it…My children were just as Healthy as Breast Babies…I watched so many of my friends plan their day’s around feeding their baby an they were so stressed … I am not downing breast feeding it’s wonderful if it a good experience for both of you…

Didn’t breastfeed either one of my kids. Ask any teacher if they can tell which of their students were breastfed. Bet the answer is no. I personally suffered from mental health issues and I was not stable enough to breastfeed. I needed to go back to work a week after my first was born and my husband was going through losing his best friend (suicide) a week before our son was born. Sometimes breastfeeding just doesn’t fit and there is nothing to feel guilty about

Not good for your body to be pregnant and breastfeeding. Stop with the two yr old.

It’s fine fed is best! Don’t get yourself down by choosing not to breastfeed, your baby will be fine and you will still be an amazing mother

U can do whatver u feel is best…i would maybe suggest immediately start pumping and bottle feed the breast milk for first few weeks or whatever just to help baby get those antibodies from u

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I feel selfish for not wanting to breastfeed my second: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

As a mother of a one year old who was also exclusively breastfed, I feel your guilt for wanting to wean. I know it’s pointless to say you shouldn’t feel that way, I know that you probably know deep within you that the guilt isn’t reasonable, and I know that none of that helps make it stop. But I will say that after a year, I had enough and needed to start weaning for my own mental health. I cried for weeks about it, I cried while feeding him, I cried constantly. But now I’ve gotten him down to only nursing before bed and first thing in the morning and already I feel like a whole new person and mom. If you’re ready, then I suggest doing it and she’ll adjust much quicker then you will. As far as your second, fed is best. Do what you need to do to keep your sanity and be the best mom you can be

You have to do what is right for you. Ur kids need a momma that’s present and happy that’s all.follow your heart because if you don’t it will mentally affect you and that will be passed on to the kids

As long as that babies fed and healthy that’s all that matters not how she got there.

I never even tried to breastfeed my first. For my mental health I knew it wasn’t for us. And he’s now almost two and thriving and healthy!! Fed is best! Do what you need to do for yourself and your family. Physically, mentally and emotionally!!!

1 Like

Fed is best. You have to take care of your mental and physical health. Find other ways to spend time and bond with your new little one

9 Likes

FED is best! You do you, mama. Do what’s best for you, as long as your baby is healthy & happy then that’s all that matters. You know your body better than anyone, if you think you can’t handle it, then formula works too. I wanted so badly to breastfeed but it just did not work for us. My son is almost 2 and was on formula for a whole year & he’s perfectly healthy. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Fed is best. Do what feels right for you and your sweet babies!!!

Not selfish. Your mental health is just as important as making sure baby is fed. Formula has come such a long way and it’s perfectly fine to use it.

1 Like

You’re the momma, you’re important too and what you say goes. I pumped for my first and formula fed my second. Formula or nursed, a FED baby is a happy baby. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: