I feel like my in laws pressure me to say yes...advice?

Can you please post. I need to vent/ask a question. My husband works out of town. He leaves Sunday afternoon and doesn’t get back till Thursday evening. Our daughter is in the second grade and my in-laws pick up from school Monday to Thursday and she spends the night with them Thursday since it’s late when I go pick my husband up and they take her to school on Friday morning. My husband picks her up Friday from school since he’s home. I work Monday to Friday 9-5. When I get off my in-laws will cook supper for everyone. Sundays I drive a lot to drop my husband off at work we leave the house around 2:30 and it’s a little over an hour away. By the time I drop him off and get home it’s almost 6 in the afternoon. My issue is lately my in-laws have been calling and asking me and my daughter to eat supper with them after we have been gone most of the afternoon. If we go and eat it’s 7:30 before we get home and then it’s bath time and bed, I don’t get any real time with her. I have tried to say no on Sundays but I feel like my in-laws pressure me into say yes all the time. It seems like anytime I have plans for just me and my daughter they find a way to take it away. What should I do? I know they are trying to help but I feel like they push me into going to their house even when I tell them I have plans. Sometimes it feels like they think my daughter is theirs. Any advice would be appreciated

1 Like

Your husband needs to say it

2 Likes

Considering they actually care about y’all I’d give them the first Sunday of the month and tell them the other three are for just y’all

5 Likes

you’re complaining for having a great support system and a family many people wish they had…lord smh u sound so ungrateful :unamused:

3 Likes

It sounds like you rely on his folks a whole lot.

They likely think they are helping you out with not having to cook.

I would explain to them how you said it here. Shouldn’t be an issue.

3 Likes

Stand strong n don’t allow them to do that to you…Just a simple Thank You…but sorry u cant…U stopped n had supper already before u got on the road coming back…Have a nice night .And let that be it.Also tell your husband prior u will.be declining each time…IDK what kind of work your husband does…like if it’s seasonal…or permanent…If permanent…maybe u n him may consider moving closer to his job.This way he can be home everynight.Of course if your job stands in the way of that.I understand…Something to consider along the way.

So tell them that? Just be honest. It’s as easy as… thank you for the offer but I’d like my Sunday night with just me and my daughter so we can have some quality time together before the busy week starts.
Them being parents should understand this.

1 Like

No they dont take it away… you give it away…be polite and make a compromise…say thank you,and naybe switch it to every other sunday or one sunday a month. And if they dont like it,then they dont have your best interest.

3 Likes

I would just politely tell them that you would like Sundays to be just for you two. You’d like to give her some 1 on 1 time before your busy week. That you appreciate having dinner with them most nights but beginning this month Sundays are just for you two.

7 Likes

Sounds like wonder in-laws to me. You have been very blessed. Be thankful

1 Like

Don’t answer the phone every time they call… If you don’t pick up, you can’t be coaxed into doing something you don’t want to do!

Susan Simpson yes!!!..and I’m sure they don’t think your daughter is theirs. You’ll have grandchildren one day and you’ll love them to pieces also. Your daughter is lucky to be so loved. All kids should be so lucky.