How to parent a child with ADHD?

My son is 7 with adhd. Structure is the best thing.

My 13 year old has it, and I have learned during the summer to try to get him in a hobby.

Your the problem not the childā€™s your hitting your child for an illness your the one who needs help! All kids say all that adhd or not! YOUR the issue poor child

Books it the only thing that helps my son hes ten an bounces off the walls

Not a mom but an adult whoā€™s suffered with ADHD their whole life. Itā€™s really hard 1 for our brains to comprehend a simple no. 2 attitude and stubbornness is sadly a strong affect we have. I also remember being a kid I would respond to my parents with the same answers I use to get ie. ā€œI can cause I want. I donā€™t have to. Because I said soā€ because In my brain if it was a acceptable answer for them to use it was for me as well. Try breaking things down for him more. When heā€™s out of hand and seems frustrated try sitting him down make him take some deep breaths and try explaining it over as many times at it may take. And try to keep you frustration levels down. If he can feel you getting frustrated it will make him more anxious and jittery and less likely to pay attention. And when it comes to telling him no. Try and explain why itā€™s a no it the best possible way for him to understand

My 6 yr old also has adhd. I keep a morning schedule similar to school: wake up, eat, get dressed, dirty clothes in hamper, feed the cats, and we do a mindful moment/ moment of meditation/ grateful moment. Then play. In the afternoon or evening before dinner we read, do a science experiment, something educational, or along those lines. He gets more free time before and after meals and we have a decompress time before bed too. Iā€™ve found that schedules are huge, mine hates changes or the unexpected. We talk openly about feelings but I completely ignore the sass- they feed off the reaction. But if I ask him if heā€™d would like to try again, the attitude goes away and itā€™s not an issue. Feel free to reach out!

Mom of a odd and adhd kid, stick to routine and also activities. Sport, going to parks, even making your own homework may it be math, English, art, p.e, etcā€¦

Could hormones be having an impact? Kids go through a big change hormone wise between the ages of 6-8 xx

Look into oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) as a possibility.

Try raising his medicine does up. A routine is a life changer.

I too have a soon to be 9 year old son with ADHD and nothing worked even behavior therapy. What I started to do was change his diet I got rid of all foods that have red 40, yellow 5, and yellow 6 anything with artificial sugars etcā€¦ I changed him to an all organic diet for the most part and ever since I did his moods have gotten ALOT better he still has his very bad days but itā€™s nothing we canā€™t correct right then and there and he calms himself down when I tell him to go take a min to breath because I will not speak to him if heā€™s yelling or being out of control because I canā€™t understand him which means I canā€™t help him. Now he still gets his candy etcā€¦ but I find a healthier option for them like he used to eat sour patch kids sours I switched them for annies sour gummies. He loves pancakes I switched out for annies pancake mix and I started shopping at thrive market. For my daughter she does not have ADHD but she has eczema so I switched her diet to the same deal and her inflammations happen once every 3 to 4 months now and just for the day along with her acid in her poop went down a ton so no more rashes. Try a diet change along with routine for the summer break along with his meds and I believe itā€™ll go much smoother.

People are going to parent how they parent and ignore the scientific information put out there about any form of spanking BUT you really shouldnā€™t be spanking him when you know some of these behaviors are hard for him to control. Punishments, like extra chores, taking privileges away, in depth conversations sure understandable. But your spanking him for something he barely understands(or could possibly not even understand given his age) himself or knows how to properly control is messed up. My son is 3 years old, has behavioral issues, signs that he most likely has ADHD and Iā€™ve spoke with his pediatrician about the proper steps I can take to help me address those issues. Waiting to to meet with a behavioral therapist and some kind of parent/child counselor. There are also classes out there for parents with children that have problems/their brain make up is different than the ā€œnormā€ for us to understand how to help them and ourselves while dealing with children like them. My best suggestion is meeting with a medical professional to discuss this behavior.

My 9yr old grandson has ADHD, as one of his diagnosis (so not the only one) and takes his medication for school. Out of school he has some structed activities such as Scouts and soccer, which are great for him, and he participates well, even though his medication has worn off.
He, and his sister, both have jobs when they get home from school, as well as before.
His home from school jobs include ā€¦ unpacking his lunch bag, and hand washing the contents, either hanging washing or taking washing off the clothes line, folding his clothes, and either his mums or linen (he and his sister rotaye who folds what), and ironing his clothes, mainly his school uniforms, he usually asks me if I want a coffee, wgich he makes, then either gets ready for scouts or soccer training, or has a shower, and dresses for bed, he often helps his 10yr old sister in preparation of dinner.
Mum gets home from work on average 1830, and I go home after dinner.
If he misbehaves, or backchats, it is NOT tolerated, having ADHD isn NOT an excuse for bad behaviour, or to be treated any different than his sister. There are boundaries, and he knows it.
He is only given medication for school, not usually on weekends or school holidays, and if we are going somewhere that he needs to not acting silly. I am so proud that when we go out he still has magnificient manners, and is often better mannered than the majority of kids, even without medication.
You are the one who needs to be teaching him to be a well respected adult, so giving in to his condition is not helping him for the future.
It can be hard, but the rewards are worth it.
You take charge, and let him know what is expected, for if he doesnā€™t respect you, how will he ever respect anybody. Donā€™t give treats or rewards for bad behaviour, if he sees he can do what he wants you have given up before you started.
He is young enough to not be set in his ways, and through perserverance you will have a happy family life.

Put him in a sport or take him for a daily walk or ride his bike. He needs a routine daily, he needs to be stimulated. Donā€™t let him sit around and watch tv or play video games. Maybe you can put him in camp. Wishing you love and light :green_heart:

Get psychological testing and see if thereā€™s more going on than just ADHD. I bet there is

Following! 1st time mommy dealing with this and would love guidanceā€¦my son is 6ā€¦if you donā€™t mind the questions Iā€™ll ask p.m. me!

Maybe heā€™s looking for attention but in the wrong way. Try spending extra time with him

Hey, Iā€™m a single mum to 7 kids. 3 have add, adhd, ODD and 2 have learning disability.
I have my 4th currently be assessed.
I will be honestā€¦ at schoolā€¦ they are good (on meds) they came homeā€¦ the meds have worn off and itā€™s like they have turned into cranky, naughty a$$holes.
Nowā€¦donā€™t get me wrong, I absolutely love all 7 of them. But I have foundā€¦ while on school hoildaysā€¦ you need 5o find them something to do that involves them using their brains. Running a muck and letting letting do whatever is just going to add to the out of control behaviours.
So I usually separate my kidsā€¦ get some activities together and get them to do those, after a while they may get bored. Take them outdoorsā€¦ get them doing obstacles or treasure hunt, or something similar. I use that time to hang washing out while they busy. Once done, came inside for some limited screen time. Then afterā€¦ get them to maybe help with dinner preparation.
Kids get bored easily, have alot more engery at home then being at school where they need to constantly use their brains and do work.
Hope this helps a little.

Try a schedule thatā€™s the same every day and Maybe enroll him in a summer program or set up a buddy system with activities for him to do.

I second the artificial dyes and sweeteners commentā€¦Any food/drinks with artificial flavoring and >>>colorings<<< can cause a reaction in children, mimicking ADHD, ADD and countless of other misdiagnosesā€™. My daughter is 2 and was acting super aggressive and hyper. We cut out all artificial colors (red40, yellow, blue, caramel, etc) plus sweeteners too. But the dyes are a good start. It takes about a week for them to get out of their system and the difference is like night and day! Research before going through with anything, of course for your childā€™s health and safety! Best of luckšŸ™

Diet and exercise helped my nephew immensely. No meds his mom just started introducing new foods and taking away added sugar

His routine changed. You have to try it keep it the same as much as possible.

Iā€™ve been making my son run laps. We put him into soccer and coach said he would make the kids run laps if they donā€™t listen. My son really doesnā€™t enjoy it. Itā€™s helped tremendously

Structure and routine. Having too much unstructured time in the summer months results in a lot of acting out behaviors or too much screen time.

Routine, rules and expectations, medicine given at the same time every day, reward for positive behavior

My 5 year old is the same. Itā€™s fucking hard. Im.losing my.mind

Dont feel bad Iā€™m a mom of 2 adhd kiddos my oldest is 14yr old and my other is 3yrs old but my 14yr old also has bipolar too as my 3yr old daughter is my terror omg she is just like your son she doesnā€™t listen or anything and screams and yells when she doesnt get her way or she hits on her 1yr old brother she is supposed to start school in Aug but Iā€™m also at wits end most time she has to go to her room and stay bc I cant handle the screaming Iā€™m also 35wks 2days pregnant with her baby sister prayers for both of us to get thru this Iā€™m fixing to start her on cbd gummies her doc told me it would help her calm down to where she can focus and listen so im gonna give it a try bc her doc said she is still 2 young to be put on meds yet

Following all of this!!! I feel like my boy is a copy of most of these responses and I am learning how to manage him!! :two_hearts:

Youā€™re missing a lotā€¦ watch this. Completely changed my perspective on how I handle my son: ADHD: Essential Ideas for Parents - Dr. Russell Barkely - YouTube

I know exactly how that is to the T. I am struggling to survive the day. I hope things get better for you

Put him in day care or a summer program he needs the structure

Spanking did nothing for my brother. Infact it made things worse. The ONLY thing that worked was putting him on medication. My mom tried EVERYTHING and got no where until she went to his dr and he started him in the lowest dose and THAT changed his life.

2 Likes

Sooooo fun fact for kids with adhd responses feed the behaviors ! Yes we want them to listen to us but for kids with adhd conflict gives them stimulation and dopamine bursts in the brain so conflict is going to make his behaviors worse!
My son has adhd and this is something his psychologist has taught me and it works so well.
Turn to the side as itā€™s less threatening do not yell or name call and donā€™t hit or else he could at some point think that itā€™s OK because we model the behaviors we want.
And if he keeps at it then you walk away and ignore it . Donā€™t respond to his fits. Donā€™t engage with him when he back talks heā€™ll just do it more I highly recommend finding parenting classes geared towards kids with adhd it honestly sounds like he might need his meds adjusted and something to do because he might really just be bored ! And because heā€™s bored heā€™s acting out to get some sort of stimulation going

2 Likes

Is he taking his medicine

Following because my 6 year old sounds exactly like this and my wire is running thin lately :pensive:

Sounds like a kid to me.

Some times the med may need to be adjusted

Routine. Makes all the difference. Let him know the routine. Set the expectation for each event. Allow transition times. Set timers. Visual cues are often easier to interpret than you speaking to him.

1 Like

Get him of the meds, give him attention. Meds for ADHD ruined my childhood, from 8 to 16 I didnā€™t have a personality and I never learned how to deal with myself because the drugs numbed and suppressed everything inside. The boy wants attention, and martial arts like karate could do alot to help also. Just my opinion as a kid who got abused by doctors who didnā€™t have an answer to my issues so pills were the answer.

Can I ask where you went or who you talked to about having your son tested for adhd? My son will be 6 in a few months and I swear from what you just described I feel like he has it. Thanks!

Having the same issue here and Iā€™m honestly losing my mind. Itā€™s draining all the life ouy of me and he acts like that even when school is in session

Please refrain from spanking as sometimes they donā€™t understand these simple thingsā€¦:woman_shrugging:t2:

Also, a simple diet change could do wonders!

Stop spanking first off.

1 Like

His routine is messed up.

Spanking is never the way to parent any child adhd or notā€¦ seek out some form of help for yourself to let that frustration out some wayā€¦ itā€™s not good for you and it makes you lose patience. Hang in there momma.

My 6 year old daughter is the same way at home but is a sweetie everywhere else. She does not have adhd though. May just be an age thing, or a comfort thing. Hoping its just a phase.

He needs structure to thrive. Iā€™m a mom of a 22 year old with severe adhd and I survived lol. I hated summers for so many years.

Donā€™t give him anything with red food coloring or white sugar- that would set my kid OFF

Adhd need regimen, routine, he is thrown off. His impulsivity is peaking.

my 7 yr old autism son does this i just take what he really likes away

Focus on what he is feeling rather than his behaviour :heart: Maggie Dent is a good one for strategies etc

My son is almost 13 and has been on ADHD meds for 9 years now along with a team sport like baseball (we are now transitioning into basketball) and this daily routine heā€™s been on since I found out he had ADHD (it keeps Every one sane)

This group was very helpful for me.

As a parent who has ADHD of a teen with ADHD Iā€™ve been where you are it sucks and makes pu wanna scream and pull your hair out at times. Durinf the summer I do not medicate that way my child can learn how to function with relying on medication
Schedules are a must
Wake up time
To when to do chores etc
We sit down and write out a schedule that he must stick to.
Structure is key.
With him assisting me with the schedule he feels like he has some control and is more willing to stick to it when I am not in the same room.
Mentally staying busy is key to any home schedule
Bad behaviors will have some form of disciplinary actions to follow.
Finish what is asked before I have to do reminders is rewarded etc etc.
You ave to make a plan that fits the child no 2 will ever be the same
However the guidelines are
Schedules
Structure
Discipline/rewards
Is the main keys you need to assist your child to become an adult knowing what this needed to cope with ADHD

Iā€™m also adding this now that my son will be 13

Maybe he needs the structure every day even at home like they have in school. Make a daily schedule for him. Like chores, then activities, etc

Iā€™m sorry, second thoughtā€¦ child may be considering school as to where Henshaw to behave, and has to be good" and it literally takes all he has to do thatā€¦ so at home, he feels as if he is in his own element he can do as he pleasesā€¦ this is not rebellion, this is a COMFORT ZONE where he feels as if he can do, say, feel, and act as he wantsā€¦ he is absolutely doing what you told himā€¦ at schoolā€¦ at home is his ā€œfreedom spaceā€ his disobedience literally means he feels safe, literally means he is comfortableā€¦ literally means that he has divided his self as to ā€œwhat he is told to doā€ ( at school) and ā€œwho he really isā€ (at home) ā€¦ I understand this, because I did it tooā€¦ I canā€™t advise on the help, because this is when I started going to the shop with my grandpaā€¦ it is just an insight based on perspectiveā€¦ I wish you the bestā€¦ please be patientā€¦

Please have him evaluated (if not already) by a pediatric psychiatrist. My nephew had the same diagnosis when he was young but his behavior issues became severe. He is now in a wonderful program as he was eventually diagnosed with Asbergers Syndrome. Most of all, be patient with both your son and yourself. Itā€™s a big challenge for the child and the parents. My best wishes to you. :blush:

Put him on a strict schedule. It will help! Its all about routine and scheduling

1 Like

Where did he learn phrases of that nature to back talk? Stop the yelling and spanking. Be consistent. Reward and positive talk the good behaviors. Take away tablets or any electronics when he donā€™t want to listen and let him earn then back. Keep him busy with physical activities or constructive things. How was he before meds? My daughter is ADHD and I chose not to go meds route.

Itā€™s actually a natural development stage. Try redirecting (look that parenting technique up) and stop spanking, that only adds to his trauma

1 Like

I am truly sorry that you are struggling with thisā€¦ my opinion may not help, but, it is possible that it mayā€¦ ADHD is a complex disorder to deal withā€¦ as a person who has it, my Grandfather was probably the most supportive person in my lifeā€¦ when he was told of this, he started taking me to work with him. He was a mechanicā€¦ long story short we had several jobs arrived on the same day, some could be completed (oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups) some couldntā€¦ it gave me several tasks to accomplishā€¦ some could be completed, some could not, (waiting on parts and such) it helped me because it was all within the realm of my interestā€¦ some were small accomplishments, some were ongoingā€¦ ot put me in a position where I knew how to complete a task, but was limited by availability alsoā€¦ try to find something the child loves, and split the time between what can be finished today, and things that take timeā€¦ puzzles maybe? Such as a 50 piece that can be finished in a few hours, to encourage interest, and give reason for praise, and maybe start a 500 piece at the same time, that takes dedication, thought, and ongoing interest to completeā€¦ so the child has something to be proud of finishing today, and something they are eager to finish in future, both of which can be walked away fromā€¦ to let them know that past efforts are not wasted, and ongoing efforts are equally satisfactory. Something they may start, and walk away from, and still accomplish if they so soā€¦ not like cooking a mealā€¦ child may want to help, but lose interestā€¦ and in doing so burn the cake or whateverā€¦THAT is devastatingā€¦ so maybeā€¦ a simple game, a puzzle, a bookā€¦ something that ā€œunderstandsā€ being left, and can be returned to laterā€¦ my ā€œkeyā€ was enginesā€¦ some can be fixed now, some take timeā€¦ I hope this helpsā€¦

I know this is off topic, but how was he doing in school before being diagnosed? I am thinking my son may need to be tested for adhd/autismā€¦

Keep him active. My former stepson was the same way and this helped tremendously

Routine, consistency, patience, and activities through the summer to help with some of the energy . Good luck mama

He needs a routine a structure that involves hard tasks and learning experiences
Keep his mind busy

Get off medsā€¦ adhd is a nutrient deficiencyā€¦ it can be treated by diet.

1 Like

Therapy for sure. Thereā€™s anger there, itā€™s getting to the root of it that will NOT be fun. I empathize. My eldest is adhd, severe, and also bipolar. OP can msg me if sheā€™d like. Iā€™ve dealt with it all lol

Are you keeping a routine? Most kids, on the spectrum or not, need constant routine.

His routine and strict schedule is gone now. Try to enforce a schedule at home or maybe consider summer camp?

Well spanking him while your frustrated and angry is abuse.

Samantha Summer Herron hereā€™s some comments about adhdšŸ’•

Be careful what type snacks you are giving him

@ additudemagizine on IG has lots of helpful tips.

Donā€™t spank ur kids bruh

David sound familiar?

He needs structure/routine

1.Buy a belt
2.Apply it to that ass

Routine, stability, lack of parenting as a mentor.

1 Like

Look into possible ODD

Itā€™s most likely a combination of losing the environment of high structure and entering one with corporeal punishment. The more you hit him, the worse it will get.

Poor sweet mama, I feel this. My eldest was diagnosed adhd as well. I was scared of the medication, so we worked with diet :woman_facepalming:t4: When I look back I regret it, Her schoolwork suffered and she didnā€™t achieve all she could have. Now my grandson is here and weā€™re quite sure he also has the same. Diet is a big part, some foods send him loopy! But I am guiding my girl towards structure, medication and counseling for both of them.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. How to parent a child with ADHD? - Mamas Uncut

1 Like

Iā€™m a REALLY BIG FAN of writing sentences! My daughters hate it the most! And they are grounded to their room until theyā€™re done. They can take as long as they want to complete them, but are still grounded to their rooms. Just a pencil, paper, and a book!

Just be sure to make the sentences pertain to the punishment cause. And try to keep them in a wording they can understand and are able to read.

4 Likes

Consistency and structure.

1 Like

It seems like my Adhd kiddo goes through stages like that. He was diagnosed at 6. Heā€™s 12 now and weā€™ve had many tearful days, he would just fight and fight; the sky is so pretty today! ā€œNo itā€™s ugly, thatā€™s not a pretty skyā€ etc etcā€¦ itā€™s honestly gotten better over the years, we found medications that worked better and have done different types of therapy, got an IEP in place at school (things got more difficult getting in the older grades), and weā€™ve had great conversations about everything when heā€™s not emotional. do not engage when heā€™s emotional lol, thatā€™s my biggest advice, just hug him & snuggle him.
We had to get creative with the discipline, the normal stuff didnā€™t work wellā€¦ grounding him from his bike or playing with his brother worked well lol

My husband was on medication when he was a kid he said the anger comes out more when on meds my son ā€œnot hisā€ is going through the same we decided not to put him on medication and Iā€™m glad we made that choice we just had to find things that he is into to keep him busy during the summer but my son is also a ppl pleaser so school has been rough and he will be repeating 1 st grade but seems to love math so it helps the teacher tries to work around that instead of him reading a book she gives him math reading

Structure routine, daily tasks, lists, as an adult it is teaching him how to manage his symptoms as well.

Take time for yourself!

My grandson the same hes now 15 and just began to mellow. I wish i cpuld give you words of comfort but i have none. He pit his mothr tgrough hell and back and even put me in some uncomfortable situations. Evwn once told his counselor i punched him in the face! Of coirse its not true. As well as runnong away feom my self or his mom. I had to physically restrain him and he kept yelling help i dont know thus strager th8s lady is hurting me! You could imagine strangers response and reaction to that! Throwing Rocks at peopkes cars for fun, breaking random peolkes windows. Years of counceling, meds, etc
And now he still has some episodes but a little more mellow.
I WISH I could tell you it gets better but for us it got way qorse before it got better. Noticed that youth groups church focused activities did help some. Goid luck Godspeed! Hooe that you have a much better experirnce

my isiter has a son with adhd he never had meds and hes doing ok now hes always always played ball hockey baseball and ice hockey and bike rides keeps him busy

My boyā€™s are 11-12. Both have ADHD, ODD. Severely! My 11 year old also is Dyslexic, has a mood disorder and selective mutism. During school everything is so much better! Since summer break started, itā€™s been hell!! But a routine does help tremendously! Taking their meds every day, same time! And I recently just started taking their phoneā€™s away, when they talk back or donā€™t do what I ask! Itā€™s a work in progress. But itā€™s slowly getting better. Good luck to you!

I had my daughter sit and do write offs as sitting still was a punishment in itself. And double bonus it helps with writing skills. If she ran through the house she had to stop and walk that same path 10 times every time very slowly. I was told when mine was diagnosed that I had to be very strict with her and use redirecting as much as possible and rewarding good behavior.

Itā€™s probably the lack of routine. Try setting up a daily routine to help them.

single mama here to a almost 10 year old boy with VERY VERY severe adhd and ODD. I suggest talking to his Dr and changing meds or going up on the dose. when my son gets like that I know his meds are no longer working. I also suggest getting a psychiatrist instead of his pediatrician if you havenā€™t already. they help sooooo much more!! feel free to pm me if you wanna talk more. I know the struggle, Iā€™ve been there at his worst and his best. currently we are doing pretty good.

1 Like

i acted like that a lot especially when i wasnā€™t in school and i have adhd too and a couple things that were big for me, from the other persons point of view, weā€™re being out of wack with routines, not taking meds unless i was going to school, loneliness and confusion on how to deal with elevated emotions

I definitely agree with the comments about routine. Routine not only includes what your doing physically but verbal routine. My son talks back here and there, heā€™s 7 but I nip it in the bud every time and remind him who heā€™s talking to, why he doesnā€™t belong talking like that, and most definitely what his consequences will be. Consequences are another thing. What might work for one doesnā€™t work all especially with adhd. I always thought I was alone and wondered why nothing bothered him until I did my own research and talked with his doctor. Behavior is one thing with the adhd but the verbal back lash definitely needs to be talked about in a way he can understand. I say to my son ā€œ1. You donā€™t belong talking to me like that. The person who gives you everything i can by feeding you, getting you clothes, ect. 2. Do you think itā€™s okay? Should I talk to you how youā€™re talking to me 3. What do you have to say for yourself and what is not going to happen next timeā€.
Take your time momma, things will get easier. Itā€™s nothing your doing wrong or him. You both will find your own ways to help each other outšŸ’™

Little big feelings on IG shared this and it applies to ADHD as well. My 6 year old ADHD son has better days when we focus on the positive than the negative and as stated above, routine is key

Is there a group in your area for parents with ADHD? It there is, they maybe a great support for you. If you donā€™t know if there is such a group ask your Dr. How does his teacher cope with his behaviour? Donā€™t think spanking him will do any good, he canā€™t help being like he is. All the very best