How should I handle this situation with my friend?

The only people upset are people not in that culture. Using real life African inspired outfits instead of Disney costumes isn’t going to cause anyone in Africa to clutch their pearls. I’ve seen many videos from Africans who are pleased so many people across the ponds are taking an interest in their culture.
Stop white knighting. It isn’t your place and you get 0 social points for it.

5 Likes

Don’t do anything, your friend is an adult. You told her your concerns once, that’s enough.

5 Likes

Please stop there is no disrespect it’s just a bit of fun

Yea…your thinking way too much into it and it’s her costume not yours so if she’s ok with it then let her be. My God is it that serious….can people do anything anymore without offending someone? Wayyyy to much time on your hands! Leave her alone, let her wear what she wants.

11 Likes

Mind your business🤷🏼‍♀️

If she wants to do and somebody gets offended then so be it! People need to get their feelings off the shoulders and not get butt hurt over every little thing :roll_eyes:

Halloween offends me & goes against my ‘religion’ everyone should stop celebrating it immediately.

5 Likes

I see a lot of people in the comments saying it’s just patterns and exclaiming people need to stop being so sensitive. The fine line is appropriating another’s culture (cultural appropriation) if you will I think this is the real issue or the fear of it but I think we’re talking about a Disney movie about lions and other animals found in Africa not the actual people of Africa. I mean is she planning on painting her face brown wearing a dashiki, caftán or boubou, mboubou or some other ceremonial or ritual garment’s?

7 Likes

If someone gets offended by an outfit they need to get a life and several hobbies :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

It is a Halloween costume get over it . Done

3 Likes

You do know where that is set right?
As long as it’s accurate & not insulting or done as a joke, please relax.

1 Like

You sound ridiculous

1 Like

I’d say who gives a f*ck.

It’s Halloween :jack_o_lantern: dress up however you want. It’s all just for fun.

2 Likes

You know, it’s a Halloween costume. If everybody gets offended of her Halloween costumes, I think we need to take a step back and look at all world as a whole. Halloween is meant to be dressing up in costumes no matter what. If people are going to get so worried or so concerned about offending someone, it’s time to end it then. Let’s not celebrate holidays let’s not have history months let’s not have anything. It’s ridiculous utterly ridiculous what this world is coming to. Lion King is a freaking movie and if people are offended because she wants to do a plate on that and stick with what would be a Disney theme oh did anybody get offended when they did the live version of lion king he’s a People with voice overs for the actual animals there was totally ridiculously done and made no sense, no people praise the movie oh my God it’s so good. Give me a break. Animals don’t talk. So the remake was another joke. People need to stop being so damn offensive over things. That being said, it’s a costume nothing more it’s not anything that has any other kind of meaning behind it stop making something mean something it doesn’t. That is the major problem in this world today. Is this person so worried about a Halloween costume, she might wanna look at the news and see what’s going on in Ukraine do they look like they’re worried about Halloween costumes and offending people. No worry about saving their lives, their country and most importantly their rights.

She’s your friend you r not her momma. Back off and jet her learn to be culturally competent. It is just printed fabric so value the friendship over who is right if wrong Just because you get it doesn’t mean she has to.

1 Like

Ppl have much time on your hands to come up with this but hey it’s all good lol keep’em coming

1 Like

You’ve given her the idea to be careful, so I would leave it at that. Your friend is an adult, I’m assuming, and can make their own choices. I would be personally annoyed and put off if my friend had to double check and approve of my ideas for Halloween costumes…

3 Likes

Leave her alone and let her do what she wants? I think that’s a good start.

2 Likes

You’re right, but that’s a her problem. You can try to educate, or disassociate. If you don’t like it, don’t join in. Imo, no one is entitled to misrepresent a culture because it’s a holiday, obviously a lot of people here disagree, but it’s just not for me and mine. Just stick to dressing like animals, wtf?

There’s lots of other people in the world to be friends with.

6 Likes

Yeah, cultural appropriation isn’t cool but she’s an adult. Let her embarrass herself if she doesn’t want to hear your warning.

Do y’all know it’s February?

11 Likes

You told her your thoughts…live it alone now.

Seriously… you said your piece now let her get beat up :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Lmao it’s a Halloween costume. Your probably one of those people who says being an Indian for Halloween is bad or something stupid like that

3 Likes

You should do nothing. You said what you said, she didn’t want to hear it, let it go, and let her do what she wants. Her problem, no longer yours.

I would move on with my life…

I love how it’s all white girls commenting, no offense. I agree with you telling your friend to ask someone of the African culture, it’d be even better if it was someone they know so it doesn’t seem so weird to ask a random person. It’s not just about cultural appropriation. It’s being respectful and not offending someone of that culture.

I’m lost just reading the comments.I have nothing :unamused: